Schottenheimer Quickly Coaching His Way Out of New York

JetsFan34

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/511672-schottenheimer-quickly-coaching-his-way-out-of-new-york

By Sean Sheppard (Contributor) on November 7, 2010

Everyone knows the Jets' identity on defense since Rex Ryan arrived in New York—blunt force trauma and blitzing from the time they get off the team bus.

The offense's identity? Seems like each year, the Jets try to rediscover who they are all because their offensive coordinator, Marty's son, Brian Schottenheimer, is hell bent on stamping his schizophrenia on the players he oversees.

Several weeks ago, Rex Ryan revealed to the media that he told the offense that he didn't trust them yet. Now we know why—it's hard to trust a group led by an offensive coordinator that doesn't know what he wants his unit to be from week-to-week. I personally don't think that Brian Schottenheimer is going to be on the Jets' payroll for much longer.

If you look at his total body of work as a coordinator, he's just not good. Check the stats: until Sanchez's 336-yard overtime effort against the Lions today, Schottenheimer-led offenses hadn't generated a 300-yard passer since 2006.

If you go back to Rex's lack of confidence in the offense (an indictment of Schottenheimer), the fact that the Jets defense played well enough to win in both losses and the fact that the head coach and the offensive coordinator differ so much from a mentality standpoint, a divorce is imminent.

I've written several articles outlining Brian Schottenheimer's shortcomings as an OC. Aside from the 2008 season when Favre was running the offense (Jets finished 10th in the league in points scored that year), Schottenheimer-led units have never finished above the bottom half of the league in scoring offense.

In the two Jets losses this year, the offense has generated zero touchdowns, and against the Green Bay Packers, the offense generated no points at all. Seems like when Brian has too much time to game plan (the entire summer for the Ravens and two weeks for the Packers), the offense suffers greatly.

Against a banged up Packer defensive front, Schottenheimer's game plan called for the league's second ranked rush offense to run the ball all of 25 times, excluding Sanchez scrambles, Weatherford's fake punt, Brad Smith's wildcat runs and a pitiful Cotchery reverse that lost eight yards. Sixteen carries for Tomlinson, SIX carries for Greene. Six.

Another interesting tid-bit: Schottenheimer's infatuation of forcing Holmes into an offense that had scored at least 28 points in three straight games before he was activated has damaged their production dramatically.

In Holmes' first game back against the Vikings, the Jet offense scored 22 points. Against the Broncos, a game where Holmes had a huge fumble on a reverse, the offense scored 24 points. Against the Packers? Zero points. It took the Jets an extra period to score 23 against the Lions today.

Meanwhile, an offense that was humming by setting up the pass with the run has gotten away from getting the ball to the pass catcher that seems to make the entire offense flow beautifully like a quick silver—Dustin Keller.

The Jets are still in good shape to have a season that includes a Super Bowl appearance; however, it is clear to me that it will all depend on the offense and how they're coached. That should be a major concern for all Jet fans.

False starts and holding calls on run plays at the most inopportune times, dropped passes and unforced fumbles are all signs that the offense is being coached by an offensive coordinator that has not instilled discipline on that side of the ball.

Look at the talent on the offensive side of the ball. There's no excuse for their offense to not be unstoppable. Then again, there's a perfect excuse why they're not—Schottenheimer.

Although at the end of the day, it's Rex's ship, we all know who runs the offense and who runs the defense. I'll keep the guy who runs the defense for sure, but at some point soon, the Jets will have to make a change in offensive leadership if they want to be the consistent juggernaut they should be.

Schottenheimer's total body of work warrants him standing in the unemployment line. The Jets' offensive performance on offense against the Lions today is further proof that he needs to go.

It looked like Rex and Schotte had words on the sidelines today. Correct me if im wrong.

I didn't hear anything about this but I swear after Rex called Schotty over, it looked like Rex was calling plays. That didn't happen I know but Schotty is lucky he isn't working for Parcells. He once stripped Sean Payton of play calling responsibilities.

Guest Jpf4671

I didn't hear anything about this but I swear after Rex called Schotty over, it looked like Rex was calling plays. That didn't happen I know but Schotty is lucky he isn't working for Parcells. He once stripped Sean Payton of play calling responsibilities.

Max, wasn't that Jim Fassel who did that? Parcells did it to Charlie Weiss though I think

Guest Jpf4671

One thing that is getting overblown is the criticism of force-feeding Holmes, then guy has played 4 games and has made 2 game winning plays

Give me a break. This dude Sheppard is really reaching for this one!

This bozo is going point to the fact that the Jets were averaging 28 points before Holmes, then the next three, after him, they scored 22, 0 and 23. GB was an abomination, yes, but is that really supposed to be indisputable evidence that Schottenheimer is forcing the ball to Holmes and that is why they dropped a whole 4 points the next game.

This dude is a clown. I can't believe he wrote this thing AFTER Sanchez just put up 323.

I don't know what he was doing last week while Cotchery was dropping passes left and right and the ball was bouncing off recievers facemasks into the hands of the DB's, but he might want to start watching games without a predisposed agedna.

We're six and two....dufus! No. I don't think it's time to fire coaches.

I personally don't think that Brian Schottenheimer is going to be on the Jets' payroll for much longer.

I prayed for Chad and Rhodes to get the gate and ultimately my prayers were answered. If this nice, however incompetent, lad could join the list of ex-jet employees, we could continue on the road to being elite.

Rex had nothing but praise for Schotty in the presser.

Words like, excellent, great and super were uttered.

Showcasing?

Damage control?

The nice words said before the firing.

It is when the HC is, you know, a DEFENSIVE-minded coach.

Belichick does it...Fisher has done it in Tenn...Bill Walsh had say in his D...Parcells did it...You treat football as if it's so complicated that a HC has only basic ideas on the way an offense or defense works.

So lets say he does get canned. Would we replace him with someone already on the coaching staff? Would Rex coach the offense?? Or who do you see out there that would come out of retirement to coach our O???

That's one reason people are so quick to demand they can Schottenheimer. The Jets have two ready to roll candidates already with the team. "Assistant head coach" and OL coach Bill Callahan was OC with the Raiders under Gruden. QB coach Matt Cavanaugh came in with Rex. He was OC of the Bears and Ravens ( he was the OC during for their SB win) and may very well have been Ryan's first choice for OC if he weren't forced to stick with Schotty.

He did that to Charlie Weis.

Hard to call games when your QB is the mush. Doesnt change the fact Schotty sucks, but probably makes it more challenging for him.

Trust me JIF this has nothing to do with the QB . Why do you think Sanchez did so well in the hurry up offenses ?? because he didnt have to think about Shotty's crap and took over the offense. The window of opportunity to get rid of this poor excuse for a coach is rapidly closing. If our option is to upgrade Callahan then we have to give him the last half of the season to put his stamp on things. Every game that goes by drops to percentage of sh*tty getting the boot. Trust me you will all be sorry if this idiot is the OC in the Playoffs.

Just think charlie weiss was available and we kept sh*tty. Its also comical we have a former coach and OC who designed one of the best offenses in the history of the game coaching the Oline while our offense flounders. If any of you got to watch the Raiders with Rich Gannon and Callahan in 02 you know what I mean.

Trust me JIF this has nothing to do with the QB . Why do you think Sanchez did so well in the hurry up offenses ?? because he didnt have to think about Shotty's crap and took over the offense. The window of opportunity to get rid of this poor excuse for a coach is rapidly closing. If our option is to upgrade Callahan then we have to give him the last half of the season to put his stamp on things. Every game that goes by drops to percentage of sh*tty getting the boot. Trust me you will all be sorry if this idiot is the OC in the Playoffs.

Well, I just inherently disagree with firing a coach when your team is tied for the best record in the league...no matter how bad you think he is.

And QB definitely has something to do with it, he's not very good and I say that hoping there's a "yet". Kid is wildly inaccurate and makes some really boneheaded throws. Detroit wasnt scared of him at all. They had 9 in the box on almost every play. He's still staring down receivers. Lots of issues at QB that makes it hard to call a game.

However, this game was one of those where you can tell Schotty just isnt good. Lots of the wrong calls at the wrong times in this game. Still, hard to blame him for some of them the way Mark was playing.

Well, I just inherently disagree with firing a coach when your team is tied for the best record in the league...no matter how bad you think he is.

And QB definitely has something to do with it, he's not very good and I say that hoping there's a "yet". Kid is wildly inaccurate and makes some really boneheaded throws. Detroit wasnt scared of him at all. They had 9 in the box on almost every play. He's still staring down receivers. Lots of issues at QB that makes it hard to call a game.

However, this game was one of those where you can tell Schotty just isnt good. Lots of the wrong calls at the wrong times in this game. Still, hard to blame him for some of them the way Mark was playing.

He is not wildly inaccurate at all. He is constantly throwing to contested recievers and it seemed like recievers made the wrong cut or didnt come out of their break more than a few times the past 3 weeks not to mention 5 + drops 2 weeks in a row. Thats not inaccuracy. Weather the QB made the wrong throw (which I doubt) or the recievers are not running sharp routes that does not constitute inaccuracy. When we have a WR open Sanchez hits them right on the numbers when they are tightly covered its the QB's job to put the ball in an area the defenders can't get to or make a play on, this usually means the reciever needs to make a good play to catch the ball and our receivers simply dont make those plays.

Our offense is still predictable and defenses prey on predictability. You keep talking about the fact that changing OC is a bad thing mid season yet you ignore the FACT we have a very good OC who is already our O-line coach and coaches up our top unit and running game. He knows all the plays and all he would have to do is step in without a hitch. This is not your normal NFL OC scenario not many teams have position coaches who were HC in SB's or ran prolific offenses. Only the Jets seem to have that luxury and only the Jets are stupid enough to have it. Callahan should have been the OC to start the season BUT I would be more than happy with him running things for the last 8 games of the season while getting his stamp on things. This way come playoff time we would have had more than enough time to work in a few new wrinkles to the offense.

It looked like Rex and Schotte had words on the sidelines today. Correct me if im wrong.

I saw that. Hopefullyit went something like this:

Rex: You better hope we win this game or you will be standing next to your dad in the unemployment line

I saw that. Hopefullyit went something like this:

Rex: You better hope we win this game or you will be standing next to your dad in the unemployment line

It did happen thanks. Todays presser should be a good one. Is it Schotte or Sanchez is the bigger question?

That proves a point. With 9 in the box ALL DAY, Schitty called a 1st down pass once. It was like watching Herm, run, run, pass, punt.

Archived