Focused Pennington gets loose at practice 11/12

Pac

Which means shotty has worked with the same personnel and maybe if they had better weapons he could truly show how awesome he is.

Or we can call a spade a spade and admit they're both average at best.

Once again Vic you know Shotty has no awesomeness not matter what. :P

I can understand having Penny in average situations makes him average. I think hes the type of QB that would play to his surroundings. Hes not going to light it up with average players like say a Peyton manning would but if you give him elite weapons like say a Drew Brees has he could get it done. I also think if you took a Joe Montana and put him in an average situation you would probably get average results. But late in Pennys career were talking wear and tear and that may be too much to overcome at this stage. I think will be able to see on sunday weather or not he can throw the ball with any vel;ocity at all. But you have to think the coaches have seen this so he must be able to do something

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penny wins two games and the entire Miami region who are still not too stunned by the Heat start this season will be rooting for him like the next coming of Montana.

Then the harsh reality will sink in! :yes:

How long before Pennington replaces Bosh?

Why can't either Chad fans or Chad haters be objective.

Chad was a ray of hope for this franchise and was one hell of a QB before multiple injuries. I honestly feel that he could have been an all-time great Jets QB for us if not for his injuries. I also love his love for the game, the fact that he fought back so many times and the fact that he made the most of his injury ravaged arm post comeback... And comeback... And comeback. The bottom line is that he did have an arm that was good enough to win in this league before getting hurt. Chad haters seem to forget this all too easily.

On the flip side you have the Chad lovers who can't seem to realize that he doesn't possess the tools post injury to do what is necessary to win in this league. He can't through to the outside, he isn't mobile and his lack of arm strength allows defenses to cheat all over the field. Chad lovers seem to not be able to realize these facts.

I loved Chadwick when he was a Jet and I have noting but respect for him. The ship has long sailed though and he isn't somebody who can do anything more than manage a game. If he was playing out in Minny I would wish him the best and hope for his success. As of this moment all I can say is thanks for being a Jet Chad... now go sh*t the bed every time you touch the ball in Miami.

Why can't either Chad fans or Chad haters be objective?

I wouldn't call it "Chad-hating," necessarily--more like "Chad-contempt." As you said, after his second injury he was a QB you could perhaps compete with, but you weren't going to win big with. How many years of that did Jets fans have to go through? 5? 6? That's a long time to sit and wait for a team (and a coach) to move on from a mediocre player that you know is ultimately holding your franchise back. Much respect to Chad for being a good soldier here and a tough, classy guy, but thank GOD he's keeping a different team pinned to the mat at this point.

Chad was a ray of hope for this franchise and was one hell of a QB before multiple injuries. I honestly feel that he could have been an all-time great Jets QB for us if not for his injuries. I also love his love for the game, the fact that he fought back so many times and the fact that he made the most of his injury ravaged arm post comeback... And comeback... And comeback. The bottom line is that he did have an arm that was good enough to win in this league before getting hurt. Chad haters seem to forget this all too easily.

On the flip side you have the Chad lovers who can't seem to realize that he doesn't possess the tools post injury to do what is necessary to win in this league. He can't through to the outside, he isn't mobile and his lack of arm strength allows defenses to cheat all over the field. Chad lovers seem to not be able to realize these facts.

I loved Chadwick when he was a Jet and I have noting but respect for him. The ship has long sailed though and he isn't somebody who can do anything more than manage a game. If he was playing out in Minny I would wish him the best and hope for his success. As of this moment all I can say is thanks for being a Jet Chad... now go sh*t the bed every time you touch the ball in Miami.

BJ I respect what you wrote and what you said makes total sense sometimes it does get blown out of proportion on both sides of the arguement. The one thing I would like to point out is that Chad the guy you said did not possess the tools to win after the injuries took the Jets and The Phins to the playoffs 3 times. The only real chance he had was in 04 and we missed 2 field goals that would have won us the game twice and put us in the AFC championship. In 04 he really did not have much to work with at all on the offensive side of the ball ( ordinary WR's No TE) other than Curtis Martin (seemed old and tired after a ton of carries during the regular season) who was shut down by the Steelers but in the eyes of the Haters that game was all the fault of Pennington going aganist the #1 ranked Defense in the NFL.

But some people think Chad was never going to be a great QB, that Oakland showed us that. Why does Chad get xtra credit for coming back from injuries when every player in the league does it? And as far as "loving the game" I don't even know how you can tell such a thing, or how it loves it more then anyone else. I don't understand the compulsion fans have to make athletes into mythic hero's. He's just a dude looking to make money.

Chad will do just fine this season cause his game was never about arm strength. I believe everyone is underating him, then again, underarting him is the key to turning him into a mythic figure..

I wouldn't call it "Chad-hating," necessarily--more like "Chad-contempt." As you said, after his second injury he was a QB you could perhaps compete with, but you weren't going to win big with. How many years of that did Jets fans have to go through? 5? 6? That's a long time to sit and wait for a team (and a coach) to move on from a mediocre player that you know is ultimately holding your franchise back. Much respect to Chad for being a good soldier here and a tough, classy guy, but thank GOD he's keeping a different team pinned to the mat at this point.

Once again Tom I see alot of people arguing this but when I bring up the actual talent level of our skill players no one wants to address it. Its gotta be Chad.

But some people think Chad was never going to be a great QB, that Oakland showed us that. Why does Chad get xtra credit for coming back from injuries when every player in the league does it? And as far as "loving the game" I don't even know how you can tell such a thing, or how it loves it more then anyone else. I don't understand the compulsion fans have to make athletes into mythic hero's. He's just a dude looking to make money.

Chad will do just fine this season cause his game was never about arm strength. I believe everyone is underating him, then again, underarting him is the key to turning him into a mythic figure..

LOL Oakland showed you that ???? In Penningtons first year he takes us to the playoffs beats Manning 41-0 and then you had your revelation in the Oakland game and proclaim oakland showed you Pennington would never be the guy ? This arguement is a freakin Joke Pennington got hammered in that game by an agressive Oakland defense and our protection broke down our offense never had a chance. BUT in that first year of penningtons NFL career as an actual starter you in all your glory figured this is not the guy ?? None of your arguements make sense in that respect. I could understand after the injuries people saying its over but not you, you knew early on while Pennington was lighting it up and running the west coast Offense very well with little to no talent around him that he was not the guy. Your full of sh*T

Adding to my Post above Chan why is it 99 % of the teams out there who get a so called Franchise QB try to surround him with talent yet the Jets in 03 got rid of his top WR and NEVER saw fit to replace him nor ever surround their Franchise QB with anything ? If you think that makes sense then The arguement is over. I feel that if The Jets made a real effort to surround the guy with some real talent the Jets would have had a chance.But they did not.

Notice now how the Jets are surrounding Mark Sanchez with talent at every level ? THATS the way you handle a franchise QB maybe we learned form our Mistakes or maybe REX opened his mouth and made it so. Im leaning toward REX

LOL Oakland showed you that ???? In Penningtons first year he takes us to the playoffs beats Manning 41-0 and then you had your revelation in the Oakland game and proclaim oakland showed you Pennington would never be the guy ? This arguement is a freakin Joke Pennington got hammered in that game by an agressive Oakland defense and our protection broke down our offense never had a chance. BUT in that first year of penningtons NFL career as an actual starter you in all your glory figured this is not the guy ?? None of your arguements make sense in that respect. I could understand after the injuries people saying its over but not you, you knew early on while Pennington was lighting it up and running the west coast Offense very well with little to no talent around him that he was not the guy. Your full of sh*T

No bonzo, i spent all of 2002 wondering how this soft tossing sissy was having any succcess at all. I was dumbfounded. When Oakland happenned the rational part of my mind said "now that makes sense". Remember 2003 he sucked a$$ as well and that was before any injury to his throwing shoulder.

It's the same as you seeing Gholston and deciding he'd never be a playmaker (an opinion I agree with)

Adding to my Post above Chan why is it 99 % of the teams out there who get a so called Franchise QB try to surround him with talent yet the Jets in 03 got rid of his top WR and NEVER saw fit to replace him nor ever surround their Franchise QB with anything ? If you think that makes sense then The arguement is over. I feel that if The Jets made a real effort to surround the guy with some real talent the Jets would have had a chance.But they did not.

Notice now how the Jets are surrounding Mark Sanchez with talent at every level ? THATS the way you handle a franchise QB maybe we learned form our Mistakes or maybe REX opened his mouth and made it so. Im leaning toward REX

smash, don't waste your time bro

you're dealing with a small group of extremists who live to post about penny, and have been doing it for years and have every angle and argument under the sun in a rolodex next to the PC

they just love to draw people in and lead them down the path

total waste of time to talk football with them as they are looking at it from a message board argument POV

No bonzo, i spent all of 2002 wondering how this soft tossing sissy was having any succcess. When Oakland happenned the rational part of my mind said "now that makes sense". Remember 2003 he sucked a$$ as well and that was before any injury to his throwing shoulder.

It's the same as you seeing Gholston and deciding he'd never be a playmaker (an opinion I agree with)

So I guess if you watched Joe Monatana his first season you would have had the same revelation since he was a soft thrower (reason he went in the thrid round from a very high profile school) as well right ? Dont use the gholston example since he has done nothing at all in this league and with out a high level contract would not even be in the NFL right now. Im talking fom the perspective of surrounding a player who showed promise was handed a huge contract and never surrounded with talent his entire career, thats very different.

imo, the main difference between Santana moss/ coles and any colts start WR is the QB throwing him the ball.

Sure, there's some freaks at WR like Moss who make the QB, but that's not true of most guys. Brady, Big ben, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, McNabb, etc, all have had success with similiar talent at WR.

And outside of 2007 Chad always had a great Oline, and outside of 07/06, he always had a great running game. This idea that the team around him prevented his ascension into elite status is garbage.

Do ya think its possible he was f*cking around ? geez

No. I mean, look at the song choice. He thinks he's ******* eminem and it's his 'one shot, one opportunity to seize everything he ever wanted'.

It's shocking to me that some people don't see through his BS.

Me, I prefer a guy like Revis, who pisses me off too, at least Revis has 1) talent, and 2) the decency to admit it's all about Revis.

smash, don't waste your time bro

you're dealing with a small group of extremists who live to post about penny, and have been doing it for years and have every angle and argument under the sun in a rolodex next to the PC

they just love to draw people in and lead them down the path

total waste of time to talk football with them as they are looking at it from a message board argument POV

I agree :) but Im not the type to sit back while people say, someone sucks when they obviously do not. I just want a real arguement. I think its really sad how the Jets handled Pennington early on and I think that cost us the possibility of a SB

So I guess if you watched Joe Monatana his first season you would have had the same revelation since he was a soft thrower (reason he went in the thrid round from a very high profile school) as well right ? Dont use the gholston example since he has done nothing at all in this league and with out a high level contract would not even be in the NFL right now. Im talking fom the perspective of surrounding a player who showed promise was handed a huge contract and never surrounded with talent his entire career, thats very different.

Montana's arm was way better then Chads, not to mention he was playing 20 years ago when the game was much slower. Today's LB runs like a CB in the 80's. The faster the player, the tighter the windows are. That's a fact.

No. I mean, look at the song choice. He thinks he's ******* eminem and it's his 'one shot, one opportunity to seize everything he ever wanted'.

It's shocking to me that some people don't see through his BS.

Me, I prefer a guy like Revis, who pisses me off too, at least Revis has 1) talent, and 2) the decency to admit it's all about Revis.

Eric I will never understand why you think Chad is that type of person. He seems like a genuine team player who will do anything for the team to win games. sometimes it seems people are making him out to be this manipulating devious bitch who does everything he can in undermining evil ways to get his starting job back when in fact its the people starting in front of him that suck a$$. If Henne wanted to keep his job why not play well ? From Hennes perspective Chad did all he could to help the kid. Im sorry man I just dont get it.

No bonzo, i spent all of 2002 wondering how this soft tossing sissy was having any succcess at all. I was dumbfounded. When Oakland happenned the rational part of my mind said "now that makes sense". Remember 2003 he sucked a$$ as well and that was before any injury to his throwing shoulder.

I wonder about some of you. Those green glasses are starting to fog up. Pennington is much better than Brunell right NOW. I don't care what Brunell did 20 years ago, I saw him in the preseason, remember that? I do. Pennington is not only better than Burnell, he is MUCH MUCH better than Brunell right now. Brunell is only here for one reason, and that's not to play football...well, not really.

Sure, Pennington can't throw the long ball and won't get you past the second round of the playoffs, but I would still take him ahead of half the starting QB's in this league. The Raiders, Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Redskins, Chiefs, Bronco's, Cowboy's, Vikings, Bears, Lions, Bucs, Panthers, Seahawks, 49'rs, and Cardinals would all be much better if they had Chad Pennington and would be a better team if they had him.

I would take 53 guys on my team that just loved to play the game of football over a bunch of whiny pre-madonnas who I have to motivate to bring out their god given talents. Pennington is the man. I just don't want him as my QB. ;)

For some people, who want to take the next step to a championship team, better than bad but not good enough to be a real contender is not good enough.

Eric I will never understand why you think Chad is that type of person. He seems like a genuine team player who will do anything for the team to win games. sometimes it seems people are making him out to be this manipulating devious bitch who does everything he can in undermining evil ways to get his starting job back when in fact its the people starting in front of him that suck a$$. If Henne wanted to keep his job why not play well ? From Hennes perspective Chad did all he could to help the kid. Im sorry man I just dont get it.

ask yourself why you never believed Obama's rhetoric...

Once again Tom I see alot of people arguing this but when I bring up the actual talent level of our skill players no one wants to address it. Its gotta be Chad.

It's always on the QB, Smash. More than any other player on the field, they control how good or bad their personnel performs. It's kind of a chicken or the egg argument--can a receiver look great with a QB who can't really throw it 20 yards down the field, and can a QB be great if his receivers aren't threatening anybody down the field? The Jets had to go out of their way to surround Chad with de facto running backs and play them at receiver. Coles, Cotchery and Chrebet are stocky guys who can catch the ball at 5 yards and get another three before being blasted by a safety or a linebacker. That was the system that you had to build around Chad. It wouldn't have mattered if you gave him Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson--those guys would still have to run their routes at 5-10 yards to compensate for Chad's arm. What's great for him now is that he has the perfect receivers for his arm. Bess and Marshall both want to catch it short and run with it. I just hope for their sakes that they don't get killed while waiting that extra beat before the ball gets to them.

Montana's arm was way better then Chads, not to mention he was playing 20 years ago when the game was much slower. Today's LB runs like a CB in the 80's. The faster the player, the tighter the windows are. That's a fact.

Chan I was Montanas biggest fan Im a Notre Dame fan I watched his entirew career and was a huge fan of his. His arm was ordinary and very similar to Penningtons but he was deadly accurate and smart. Bill Walsh designed an offense around a very smart player with some limitations, and then proceeded to surround him with boat loads of talent at every single skill position all Montana had to do was get the ball to his playmakers at a high percentage and he did that, What was the result ? Thats all I was asking for, for a QB I saw who had the same tendencies as Joe Montana a smart player with a high percentage rate . In the Oakland game they pulled a REX on us, our recievers were easily covered and they brought the house vs Pennington its really that simple. You see how many QB's, make that great QB's our defense makes look like total garbage ? Same Principle.

I wonder about some of you. Those green glasses are starting to fog up. Pennington is much better than Brunell right NOW. I don't care what Brunell did 20 years ago, I saw him in the preseason, remember that? I do. Pennington is not only better than Burnell, he is MUCH MUCH better than Brunell right now. Brunell is only here for one reason, and that's not to play football...well, not really.

Sure, Pennington can't throw the long ball and won't get you past the second round of the playoffs, but I would still take him ahead of half the starting QB's in this league. The Raiders, Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Redskins, Chiefs, Bronco's, Cowboy's, Vikings, Bears, Lions, Bucs, Panthers, Seahawks, 49'rs, and Cardinals would all be much better if they had Chad Pennington and would be a better team if they had him.

I would take 53 guys on my team that just loved to play the game of football over a bunch of whiny pre-madonnas who I have to motivate to bring out their god given talents. Pennington is the man. I just don't want him as my QB. ;)

Of course Pennington is better then brunell. But Brunell is a back up whose job is to support and help the young QB in front of him. Pennington considers himself a starter and played hardball to negotiate in more then 2x salary bump if and when he takes Henne's job. Don't you remember the negotiations being long as Pennington insisted on that incentive? Why do you think he did that? Cause he's a great teammate .. lol!

Because, while he has a tearful chat with Henne, this embarrassing little dance is showing him up. Any way you look at it, he's saying, 'look at me, this is my shot now'. How about, fall in line with your team, and don't show up the young guy who just lost his opportunity. And yeah, Henne should play better to keep his job, but lets personalize this. If I remember correctly, you're were a baseball player. A pitcher? Imagine you pitched an awful game, were taken out in the 3rd inning. Your relief comes in like Kenny Powers, dancing up a storm while the team is down 4 runs. But hey, he pats you on the butt while you're walking back to the clubhouse. Is that classy? Is that leadership?

"I've been benched when it wasn't really my fault." - That's a comment Pennington just made. On the surface, it's in support of Henne, but how does this not demonstrate a huge lack of accountability by Pennington? Was there really a time when he didn't deserve to be benched? When we were 1-7, and he was throwing Pick 6s to lose multiple games, was that when it wasn't his fault?

"I just think as an offense, we've got to make sure we create a spark," he said. "Offensive football is about energy, it's about momentum. It's about synergy. It's about a feeling you have. And none of that happens with stats, it's not a statistic you can throw at it. So we have to find a way to create sparks during games. And when there's a chance to stick a dagger in a team and take their heart out, we got to do it. - in other words, I'm going to do all the things that Chad Henne can't. As opposed to, something classy and what a true leader would say. "Chad's a young QB who's got all the tools, and he's learning and improving each week. Unfortunately, that's not showing up in the win column right now, so the coaches decided to make this move. I'm going to go out there and do my best to get us some wins and take us to the playoffs. Chad will have his shot again and I'm sure he'll succeed." That's what a leader would say. Chad talks about all the things the offense didn't have without him.

ask yourself why you never believed Obama's rhetoric...

Why the Obama analogy Im not sure how you feel about Obama so how can I understand this point your making ? No natter what Obama did the republicans were going to shoot it down anyway, we all knew that. So whats the point ? rather than bring up Obama references why not address what Im saying about the talent level. The Jets had no talent on offense. They had one RB who got beat down all year and was probably spent come playoff time, no TE at all, and a pack of WR's led by Coles ? it was a very sad situation and Chad dragged as much as he could out of that group BUT its no mystery to me why he could not do much vs the better defenses in the league ..like the Oakland Raiders.

Why the Obama analogy Im not sure how you feel about Obama so how can I understand this point your making ? No natter what Obama did the republicans were going to shoot it down anyway, we all knew that. So whats the point ? rather than bring up Obama references why not address what Im saying about the talent level. The Jets had no talent on offense. They had one RB who got beat down all year and was probably spent come playoff time, no TE at all, and a pack of WR's led by Coles ? it was a very sad situation and Chad dragged as much as he could out of that group BUT its no mystery to me why he could not do much vs the better defenses in the league ..like the Oakland Raiders.

Not to talk politics, but my point was that some people just set your bullsh*t meter off, like I imagine Obama did with you. Chad sets mine off in a huge way. It started with the whole signing a cap crushing contract with the biggest (or second biggest) signing bonus in league history at the time, and the telling the fans through the media how important it was for him to sign a team friendly deal, which couldn't have been further from the truth. So I ask, what kind of guy volunteers information which isn't true yet makes him look like a good guy/teammate, and the answer is obvious. It all went down hill from there as on countless occasions Chad has exhibited the same behavior.. He's a politician.

on edit: I'm only responding to your point about why some of us thinking he's a scheming manipulative guy

Because, while he has a tearful chat with Henne, this embarrassing little dance is showing him up. Any way you look at it, he's saying, 'look at me, this is my shot now'. How about, fall in line with your team, and don't show up the young guy who just lost his opportunity. And yeah, Henne should play better to keep his job, but lets personalize this. If I remember correctly, you're were a baseball player. A pitcher? Imagine you pitched an awful game, were taken out in the 3rd inning. Your relief comes in like Kenny Powers, dancing up a storm while the team is down 4 runs. But hey, he pats you on the butt while you're walking back to the clubhouse. Is that classy? Is that leadership?

"I've been benched when it wasn't really my fault." - That's a comment Pennington just made. On the surface, it's in support of Henne, but how does this not demonstrate a huge lack of accountability by Pennington? Was there really a time when he didn't deserve to be benched? When we were 1-7, and he was throwing Pick 6s to lose multiple games, was that when it wasn't his fault?

"I just think as an offense, we've got to make sure we create a spark," he said. "Offensive football is about energy, it's about momentum. It's about synergy. It's about a feeling you have. And none of that happens with stats, it's not a statistic you can throw at it. So we have to find a way to create sparks during games. And when there's a chance to stick a dagger in a team and take their heart out, we got to do it. - in other words, I'm going to do all the things that Chad Henne can't. As opposed to, something classy and what a true leader would say. "Chad's a young QB who's got all the tools, and he's learning and improving each week. Unfortunately, that's not showing up in the win column right now, so the coaches decided to make this move. I'm going to go out there and do my best to get us some wins and take us to the playoffs. Chad will have his shot again and I'm sure he'll succeed." That's what a leader would say. Chad talks about all the things the offense didn't have without him.

Well with the baseball thing if it happened during the game I probably would have been livid but this was a practice thing. You know practice .... Practice? Prac tice are you kidding me Practice ? :P ...Jokeing aside I see the point your making he probably should have taken into account Hennes feelings when doign the Rap crap, I would'nt have done that. he did it to loosen up the team and they acknowledged it I dont think it was to gloat or push hennes face in it. Hell I wonder if he even knew he being taped.

When pennington got benched in NY I think it was due to heavy disagreement with sh*tty I could be wrong but something seemed very wrong that year,

Well Im not sure what you wanted Chad to say. he has to be positive as to whats going down in the future. He certainly could'nt stand there with the oh shucks routiene. he gave the typical crap thats always given when a QB gets taken out, the old Spark the team crap. Everyone does it.

Not to talk politics, but my point was that some people just set your bullsh*t meter off, like I imagine Obama did with you. Chad sets mine off in a huge way. It started with the whole signing a cap crushing contract with the biggest (or second biggest) signing bonus in league history at the time, and the telling the fans through the media how important it was for him to sign a team friendly deal, which couldn't have been further from the truth. So I ask, what kind of guy volunteers information which isn't true yet makes him look like a good guy/teammate, and the answer is obvious. It all went down hill from there as on countless occasions Chad has exhibited the same behavior.. He's a politician.

on edit: I'm only responding to your point about why some of us thinking he's a scheming manipulative guy

Ahh ok I got ya now honestly Obama didnt set off my Bullsh*t meter so thats why I probaly didnt understand where you were coming from. That aside, didnt Penny take a pay cut later in that contract to help get some players signed ? Then they still didnt get him WR's to throw too other than the obviously broken down Coles ? Just askin cause Im not 100 % sure

Archived