8 year old Jets fan tackled at Browns game

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/16/eight-year-old-jets-fan-allegedly-tackled-while-leaving-browns-game/

Eight-year-old Jets fan allegedly tackled while leaving Browns game

Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2010, 10:23 PM EST

Football fans who choose to openly root for the road team assume the risk of being verbally abused, but none should ever be subject to assault. Especially when the fan is eight years old.

According to WEWS in Cleveland, the mother of an eight-year-old Jets fan claims that a Browns fan tackled the boy, who wore a Jets jersey to Sunday’s game while the boy and his father were leaving the game.

“A drunken Browns fan tackled him and pulled him out of his dad’s hand. He was on the ground crying,” the boy’s mother said. The boy’s ankle was scraped and bruised.

The boy’s father did not report the incident to police. Instead, the father decided to continue to their car and leave.

The incident occurred outside of the stadium, in a lot owned by the City of Cleveland.

Browns spokesman Neil Gulkis described the incident as “unfortunate and disappointing,” and he said that the Browns are looking into the situation.

At a minimum, we think that Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan should get his twin brother, Rex, to invite the boy to a game in New York

If I was the dad i would be in jail right now..........Tailgate Joe should hook this kid and his family up this weekend if they are in town!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd just like to say that the dad is a pussy.

Maybe he was scared. Some people get scared in situations like that with their kids. His first instinct was probably to get his child to safety. Rather fight a group of drunken dorks as his kid lies on the ground screaming. Personally I would have reacted different but at the same time my son already had a blackbelt at eight and weighed almost 100 pounds. We would have reviewed defensive postures and 11 different ways to strike someone in the nads before leaving the house. But I really liked Bruce Lee movies growing up.

Maybe he was scared. Some people get scared in situations like that with their kids. His first instinct was probably to get his child to safety. Rather fight a group of drunken dorks as his kid lies on the ground screaming. Personally I would have reacted different but at the same time my son already had a blackbelt at eight and weighed almost 100 pounds. We would have reviewed defensive postures and 11 different ways to strike someone in the nads before leaving the house. But I really liked Bruce Lee movies growing up.

Thanks for the voice of reason here.

All these second guessers who were not there for the situation. I hope none of us are ever put into this situation, as who knows how we would react. I also hope some of you aren't around to judge when I am in a difficult situation, with your quick vapid judgments.

well he was obviously scared. but this is your kid being attacked by someone. i don't care who it was or how many....the moment someone touched my kid i would have been on this guy. and i'm not trying to take anything away from your kid......i've been in jiu jitsu and kenpo and the young kids who were blackbelts stood no chance against a grown man.

well he was obviously scared. but this is your kid being attacked by someone. i don't care who it was or how many....the moment someone touched my kid i would have been on this guy. and i'm not trying to take anything away from your kid......i've been in jiu jitsu and kenpo and the young kids who were blackbelts stood no chance against a grown man.

Maybe he was just worried about getting his son out of the situation of harm, and worried if he was injured.

I know that would be my first concern, rather than retribution.

if that makes me a pussy in your eyes, so be it.

I was just about to type this. He didnt even think to call the Police.

Some example he's setting for his kid.

well walking away from a fight with some drunken moron isn't a bad idea or a bad lesson to teach. the problem is this guy already attacked. you also have to teach your kid to stand up for yourself and fight back when attacked.

Thanks for the voice of reason here.

All these second guessers who were not there for the situation. I hope none of us are ever put into this situation, as who knows how we would react. I also hope some of you aren't around to judge when I am in a difficult situation, with your quick vapid judgments.

Truthfully I would be surprised if most people didn;t automatically think like that. no one wants to hear of a kid getting hurt and it creates a very strong emotional response. At the same time unless you have been in a situation like that you really don;t know what you would do. Maybe it was a crowd of 25 or more drunken angry browns fans, or even a group of 5 or 6 thugs. Hard to say.

Personally I would have had my kids prepared and as we walked out they would be aware of their surroundings and we would have been in a defensive traveling posture. He would have been in front of me and at the same time looking behind us casually. I took Sal and Joe to baltimore for the Bollywood fiasco when they where 7 and 4. We went over what we would do in certain situations before we left the house.

We should just be thankful it didn;t turn out worse. Though I do wonder why the father didn't call the police. That was dumb.

Maybe he was just worried about getting his son out of the situation of harm, and worried if he was injured.

I know that would be my first concern, rather than retribution.

if that makes me a pussy in your eyes, so be it.

look i'm not gonna sit here and argue this and tell you you are a pussy. if some guy attacks my kid....i'm not just gonna stand there and hope he doesn't hurt him. i'm gonna be doing whatever i can to get the dude off of my kid.

Personally I would have had my kids prepared and as we walked out they would be aware of their surroundings and we would have been in a defensive traveling posture.

That's a tough way to walk through your life-defensive.

I have had my boys with me leaving Phillies games (as Mets fans), and honestly, the last thing that I am thinking about is that some a-hole may jump us.

look i'm not gonna sit here and argue this and tell you you are a pussy. if some guy attacks my kid....i'm not just gonna stand there and hope he doesn't hurt him. i'm gonna be doing whatever i can to get the dude off of my kid.

It sounds like the dude was off the kid. My first response is to help my child and make sure he is ok.

Yes, I am a pussy.

I would like to disagree. This wasn;t a sparring match. The guy would have not expected the kid to come up defensively. Guy was drunk the kid would have been very deliberate in his strike. At the same time as the guy was shocked and distracted at even a soft strike, I would have followed up with knee or a low kick to the temple and problem solved. At the smae time my kids would have been up on his feet ready to run for our lives. The guy would have never got off the ground.

No one said he stayed on the kid. he tackled him and got off. At least that's what it seemed like. Reacting emotionally in this situation will only make it worse.

That's a tough way to walk through your life-defensive.

I have had my boys with me leaving Phillies games (as Mets fans), and honestly, the last thing that I am thinking about is that some a-hole may jump us.

I have five kids with three of them girls. All trained in self defense all aware that the world is a bad place. My oldest daughter and 14 year old son are both in mixed martial arts. They love it. They are both nasty.

It sounds like the dude was off the kid. My first response is to help my child and make sure he is ok.

Yes, I am a pussy.

it sounds to me like this guy didn't even try to get the guy off his kid. to me thats weird. you just watched some drunk moron tackle your kid and just stood there. sorry, i just can't comprehend that. the moment i see someone touch my kid at all i would have reacted. i think you would have also.

No one said he stayed on the kid. he tackled him and got off. At least that's what it seemed like. Reacting emotionally in this situation will only make it worse.

i'm sorry but it takes a couple of seconds at least to get off the ground afterwards...you are telling me you would have just stood there and this guy get up untouched? i have ahard time believing that...especially since it seems you are into self-defense.

it sounds to me like this guy didn't even try to get the guy off his kid. to me thats weird. you just watched some drunk moron tackle your kid and just stood there. sorry, i just can't comprehend that. the moment i see someone touch my kid at all i would have reacted. i think you would have also.

If the guy stayed on the kid, then I agree with you Neck. I would have kicked the guy or need him and thru him off. No doubt.

i'm sorry but it takes a couple of seconds at least to get off the ground afterwards...you are telling me you would have just stood there and this guy get up untouched? i have ahard time believing that...especially since it seems you are into self-defense.

Already answered it. Your right.

If the guy stayed on the kid, then I agree with you Neck. I would have kicked the guy or need him and thru him off. No doubt.

and how do you walk away without getting security involved? i almost don't even believe this story is true. the reaction makes absolutely no sense. not to mention there had to be other people who saw this. i almost have to cal BS on it.

and how do you walk away without getting security involved? i almost don't even believe this story is true. the reaction makes absolutely no sense. not to mention there had to be other people who saw this. i almost have to cal BS on it.

100% with you their. Two reasons.

1. Just in case it turns into a mod scene

2. Keep them from calling the cops on you, interpretation after the fact could be a bitch. Especially if you struck the guy good enough to disable him and all the eye witnesses where with him. That tackled could turn into a bumped into and you could end up arrested. Need the police report and 911 call to protect yourself.

Not knowing the circumstances, the father appears to be a pussy...but what if there were 10 drunken idiots sitting there waiting to pounce him if made a move? It wouldnt have stopped me from beating the ever living sh*t out of that dude, but not every is a badass like me.

Not knowing the circumstances, the father appears to be a pussy...but what if there were 10 drunken idiots sitting there waiting to pounce him if made a move? It wouldnt have stopped me from beating the ever living sh*t out of that dude, but not every is a badass like me.

Lucky for you nobody would ever try and tackle the box of condoms in your pocket.

You have read something that I haven't then.

No account that I saw described the man as "on top" of the child.

If you were the only green shirt in the middle of 20 brown shirts you would want to get your kid to safety. None of you tough guys can take on 20 doods at once. Yeah, I would have taken a few swings at the guy while getting him off my kid but as far as throwing down with a group of drunken browns fans with me as the only caretaker for my 8 year old, my kid would be my first priority, pride be damned.

Archived