3rd Running Back is going to be needed at some point

Barton

Whether it is McKnight or not, its becoming obvious that an additional running back is needed this season. Tomlinson is great as a receiver and has good vision, but cant break a tackle and is getting 3 yards a carry the last 6 weeks. Greene is good but takes a pounding with his style, so you cant overuse him because he's likely to get hurt.

McKnight needs to step up, grab some carries and make some plays.

I agree with Barton. LT is getting too many carries. There's another 6 games and then the playoffs start and the 20 touches/game he's had in most games appears to be too much for him at this point. He's noticeably slower.

If he's in space, like when he's catching passes he can still make that first guy miss. Same if there's a huge hole like on his one run last night. But few RB's have issues gaining yards through a big hole.

But he's been pounded into the middle of the line too many times, as though the guy's 26 years old with 1500 career carries. He's still a weapon catching the ball out of the backfield but hasn't looked consistently good on handoffs for a month & a half. Now and then if he's the hot hand by all means keep feeding him the ball. But if the play is just going to be running up the gut on 1st & 10 for his usual 3 yards we're just wearing down someone with well over 3000 career touches.

McKnight has been active two weeks and is playing Teams pretty well. He was involved in the phantom touched punt play. Sure would like to see him get a few touches.

Do you guys really think they are going to try to convert him to DB? Rex said that’s why he was active

I agree with Barton. LT is getting too many carries. There's another 6 games and then the playoffs start and the 20 touches/game he's had in most games appears to be too much for him at this point. He's noticeably slower.

If he's in space, like when he's catching passes he can still make that first guy miss. Same if there's a huge hole like on his one run last night. But few RB's have issues gaining yards through a big hole.

But he's been pounded into the middle of the line too many times, as though the guy's 26 years old with 1500 career carries. He's still a weapon catching the ball out of the backfield but hasn't looked consistently good on handoffs for a month & a half. Now and then if he's the hot hand by all means keep feeding him the ball. But if the play is just going to be running up the gut on 1st & 10 for his usual 3 yards we're just wearing down someone with well over 3000 career touches.

This.

Unless Greene is completely inept at pass protection he should be the guy in on 1st and 2nd down. LT should be the 10 carry a game change of pace guy. Besides, Greene's 3 yard runs up the gut do more in the way of softening up defenses. That hit he put on Maualuga (or whatever his name is) was awesome.

This.

Unless Greene is completely inept at pass protection he should be the guy in on 1st and 2nd down. LT should be the 10 carry a game change of pace guy. Besides, Greene's 3 yard runs up the gut do more in the way of softening up defenses. That hit he put on Maualuga (or whatever his name is) was awesome.

He's just running much harder and I think it would benefit him to get a rhythm going down the stretch by getting more carries. He's that type of runner. LT could benefit from it and make the most with each touch.

You cant trust McKnight IMO. No way. Too much at stake right now.

He's just running much harder and I think it would benefit him to get a rhythm going down the stretch by getting more carries. He's that type of runner. LT could benefit from it and make the most with each touch.

You cant trust McKnight IMO. No way. Too much at stake right now.

If you cant trust McKnight then they better bring someone in we can trust.

Barton is 100% right. I almost started a similar thread earlier but figured there's a ton of McNight hate and no viable #3 on the roster at the moment. LT as a RB looks washed up again and Greene's style is one that makes him a high risk for injury. I was actually hoping McNight would get some carries today just to let him get some live reps.

You know if your biggest problems on offense are that your backup tackle looked bad against Mario Williams and you're worried about the 3rd RB on the depth chart, I'd say you're doing just fine.

Would you say that those are our biggest problems on offense?

I'd like to see Greene start to carry more of the load the way he did in the playoffs last year.

Don't see why we need a 3rd RB as long as the top two guys stay healthy. Brad Smith can get carries, as can Tony Richardson, John Conner, and Joe McKnight. If they need another RB, they can find some out of work UFL guy to step in and take a few carries. Danny Woodhead was a street free agent, so was Arian Foster. RB's can always be found.

The bigger issue is the offensive line. Its not like the Jets have one guy going for 3.7 and another for 5.2 that isnt durable. They basically have two guys going for 3.8. Neither gets much to run through and the few times they break someone always seems to get them by their ankles. Another guy isnt making a difference. Those few true beast runners that are going to do well regardless of the line are few and far between. Its a blocking thing right now.

Okay, I'll say it. You people are all nuts. There is no reason to bring in a[nother] 3rd RB. They already have McKnight. Not only is he on the roster, but he has been active. They also have Brad Smith. I'd say he showed enough yesterday to be considered an adequate emergency RB. Two backs are enough. They both want 15-20 carries each. I'd agree that it's preferable to give the bulk of the carries to Greene, but now we care about wearing out LT? **** that. Burn him if you have to. One game at a time. Rest him in the 2nd half against Buffalo if they are up big.

McKnight has been active two weeks and is playing Teams pretty well. He was involved in the phantom touched punt play. Sure would like to see him get a few touches.

Do you guys really think they are going to try to convert him to DB? Rex said that’s why he was active

I think you are reading too much into that. McKnight was active as a DB because Lowery and Cole were out hurt. I think he's basically an emergency DB. Of course 25 is a DB number...

If you cant trust McKnight then they better bring someone in we can trust.

The can't trust McKnight, but they can trust him more than anybody else they'd bring in. LJ? Seriously? We couldn't use that old stiff 3 years ago. Who are you going to cut to bring that washed up scrub in? I can only imagine the threads about Josh Mauga superstar. LJ averaged .4 ypc in 2010, that's why he got cut.

Okay, I'll say it. You people are all nuts. There is no reason to bring in a[nother] 3rd RB. They already have McKnight. Not only is he on the roster, but he has been active. They also have Brad Smith. I'd say he showed enough yesterday to be considered an adequate emergency RB. Two backs are enough. They both want 15-20 carries each. I'd agree that it's preferable to give the bulk of the carries to Greene, but now we care about wearing out LT? **** that. Burn him if you have to. One game at a time. Rest him in the 2nd half against Buffalo if they are up big.

LT is not looking as good as he did earlier this season. I don't care about wearing him out because I'm worried about his future. I care about wearing him out because he's playing like he's worn out when he isn't in space.

Agree on not bringing in another RB. Use McKnight or don't use him. But we don't bring in another RB until one of our current 3 is injured or cut.

LT is not looking as good as he did earlier this season. I don't care about wearing him out because I'm worried about his future. I care about wearing him out because he's playing like he's worn out when he isn't in space.

Agree on not bringing in another RB. Use McKnight or don't use him. But we don't bring in another RB until one of our current 3 is injured or cut.

Problem is if you wait until we need to pull the fire alarm another team may have already grabbed the best of whatever is out there. Plus theres a thing called learning the playbook. Id much rather see a 3rd RB on the roster than TEs were never gonna use.

Problem is if you wait until we need to pull the fire alarm another team may have already grabbed the best of whatever is out there. Plus theres a thing called learning the playbook. Id much rather see a 3rd RB on the roster than TEs were never gonna use.

And who do you have in mind that you think teams are just falling over themselves to scoop up? And don't say Larry Johnson again. Besides, a 3rd string RB on the active roster has to play special teams. Lots of luck getting LJ to do that. Washington has had no Clinton Portis and still didn't want this a-hole who knew the playbook. Besides, 3rd string RB's aren't getting reps with the starters until someone gets injured anyway. Might as well go with McKnight. There's something to be said for making a guy earn his way back onto the field.

As an emergency RB I'd rather use Conner. At least he'll try unlike LJ. What other garbage RB did you envision bringing in now to sit around and do nothing? Chauncey Washington will be available whenever the Jets feel like adding him.

Cumberland is the only TE that hasn't played regularly. Mulligan has played in 10 games, Hartsock in 11. Cumberland is worth more than any crappy extra RB. If they want somebody that knows the playbook they can just pick up Chauncey Washington. Despite all the whining, he's right there for the taking.

I don't think LT is getting worn down. I think the line is playing worse. I'd like to see Greene get more carries. I think that is the direction things are going.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived