Sanchez's height, lineman batting down balls, & slants

Steveg

Not sure how many passes were batted down at the line, but this seems to be Sanchez's achilles heel when throwing over the middle. Not sure how he can correct that except by moving out of the pocket which Sanchez is good at. But that takes away the real quick slant.

Not sure how many passes were batted down at the line, but this seems to be Sanchez's achilles heel when throwing over the middle. Not sure how he can correct that except by moving out of the pocket which Sanchez is good at. But that takes away the real quick slant.

This is bogus.

Palmer is 6'5" and he had just as many batted down.

There were quite a few last night.

However, I haven't noticed it as a huge problem this season, so chalk it up to last night until it becomes a bigger pattern.

Go replay the game if you've got it taped. At least 2 of them the defender jumped up and one that I remember hit the defender in the middle of his arm (as opposed to his hand or fingertips). How high is Sanchez going to throw it that would be cured if he was 3" taller?

This is the problem with Jets fans. Most NEVER watch any other NFL games. I honestly believe the average Jets fan would think Drew Brees sucks if they actually watch him play.

You're taught in high school to get your arms up when the ball is released. This is a nonissue; it's simply a good play by DL guys. Jason Taylor almost had an INT doing it last night.And as to height Dan McGwire was 6'5" and he sucked. 6'2" is not short for a QB, merely average.

You obviously were not paying attention (no offense). the linemen werent putting up their hands they were actually jumping up and timing his throwing motion. watch the tape.

There is actually a grain of truth to this.

6'2" QB's used to be average sized, but in the last few years so many QB's drafted high have been in the 6'5" range so the average has begun to move up. 6'2" is now smallish for QB height.

As stated earlier, it's been only one game so far so unless this becomes more of a trend, I wouldn't worry about it.

The real question is whether or not his head and neck are longer than most. If his head and neck combo is 1-2" smaller than most from top to bottom then he's effectively about 6'4" tall. A QB throws the ball from his shoulder, not from the top of his head.

I said it a while back during one of the drafts. Height measurements for some positions should have supplemental measurements. They should have an extra measurement for QB's for shoulder height and eye height. WR's should also have heights measured with their arms extended up. What does it matter that a WR is 6'3" if he has short, stubby arms? Someone 6'1" with long, D'Brickashaw/Cromartie arms is better able to catch higher passes without leaving his feet.

Back to QB's, this doesn't even take into account release points. Rivers is 6'5" or whatever but his release-point isn't nearly 3" higher than Sanchez's. He seems to be doing ok.

Sanchez's success or failure will not be linked to the distance from the floor to the top of his head.

I said it a while back during one of the drafts. Height measurements for some positions should have supplemental measurements. They should have an extra measurement for QB's for shoulder height and eye height.

in that case, peyton manning's eye height is about 5'9", you ever notice that dudes forehead ? :D

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of you mocked me about this thread from a few weeks ago...BUT, this happens to Sanchez an inordinate amount of times. He's gotta role out more often. Heck, he's effective when doing that.

prove it

no anecdotal evidence, show me stats

A lot of you mocked me about this thread from a few weeks ago...BUT, this happens to Sanchez an inordinate amount of times. He's gotta role out more often. Heck, he's effective when doing that.

Lineman are always told to jump and try and bat passes down...seems really easy for them to do with Sanchez.

He just needs to learn how to manipulate the pocket to get those passing lanes open. Plenty of short QB's who get over this...I think it comes with experience. There are way to look off lineman just like you do with safeties.

It's not because of his height. If it was, passes would be getting tipped up as the defenders fingertips grazed it. Most of the blocked passes on Sanchez seem to hit guys in the face or chest or in the arms around where the forearms/elbows are, with a good foot or so of hands/arms left. In other words, those passes would be batted down whether his listed height was 6'2" or 6'5" tall. Defenders reading where he's throwing and when the ball's leaving his hands is much more of a reason.

This is an excellent post by JI poster JB1089 discussing this very topic:

Coming into today, Sanchez had 14 passes batted down at the line for the year, or 3.2% of his total pass attempts. This seems to be slightly above average, with the league average around 2.5% or so (I'm not adding up all of the passes that have been thrown this year, and all of the passes that have been batted down).

Jason Campbell (6'5") has the most passes hit at the line, 4.7% of his attempts. Jay Cutler (6'3") also has 3.2% of his passes batted down. McNabb (6'2") has the most total bat downs with 17 (3.6% of attempts). Sam Bradford (6'4") has 14 bat downs, 3.0% of his attempts.

Matt Ryan (6'4") is the best at avoiding this, with only 4 on the year, 0.8% of attempts. Aaron Rodgers (6'2") is right behind him, also with 4, on 1.0% of his attempts. Rivers (6'5"), Peyton (6'5"), and Eli (6'4") all have had 1.1% of their passes batted down.

Drew Brees (6') has 1.7% of his passes knocked down at the line, better than Joe Flacco (6'6"; 2.1%), Carson Palmer (6'5"; 2.8%), and Matt Cassel (6'4"; 2.6%).

The number of passes batted down at the line seems to be a combination of height, experience, offensive line play, and mechanics.

The Raiders have two QBs that have taken a significant number of snaps. Jason Campbell is 6'5" and Bruce Gradkowski is 6'1". Yet Campbell has 4.7% of his passes hit at the LOS, compared to 1.3% of Gradkowski's.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3872966&postcount=21

It's also up to the lineman to open the passing lanes for the quarterback. It's not 100% on Sanchez.

Exactly...usually on quick passing plays lineman cut block to force defenders to put their hands down and protect their legs or as soon as the hands go up you give them a nice jab to the belly.

The worst one last night came on a roll out. Roll out left soft toss to Keller. Would have been a huge gain, but he let it get tipped and it just resulted in a first down. The linemen have to keep hitting their man. If you blast a guy in the chest he isn't jumping and he isn't putting his arms up. If he does, you knock him on his a$$ and then jump on top.

it has nothing to do with his height, it has to do with him staring at the receiver and the lineman staring at his eyes waiting for him to release the ball so he cant get his hands up. Sanchez is taller than Brees and Brees doesnt have that problem. When sanchez masters being able to throw without staring at the receiver, and using the pump fake more often then he will be fine.

The worst one last night came on a roll out. Roll out left soft toss to Keller. Would have been a huge gain, but he let it get tipped and it just resulted in a first down. The linemen have to keep hitting their man. If you blast a guy in the chest he isn't jumping and he isn't putting his arms up. If he does, you knock him on his a$ and then jump on top.

Ooh kinky!

I dont think Sanchez gets passes batted down because he is too short. I think right now he either has a tired arm or is pressing at times thinking he has to throw the ball harder. Often times when you try to do that rather than letting it come naturally you end up holding the ball a bit longer and your release point ends up being lower than you want it to be.

Archived