Jets: We're Gonna Win...Serby

SoFlaJets

Gung-ho Green: We're gonna win

November 30, 2010

Steve Serby

In Rex World, there is no fear of saying anything that might wind up on the enemy's bulletin board -- even Bill Belichick's bulletin board. Joe Namath could have guaranteed a victory over the Patriots on Monday night and Ryan would have high-fived him at the next team meeting.

In Rex World, you are allowed to talk the talk as long as you walk the walk to Super Sunday. For the past decade, many a walk to Super Sunday has ended at the Great Wall of Foxborough, constructed at the intersection of Brady Way and Belichick Boulevard.

But now here comes the irrepressible Ryan, driving this mighty, state of the art, green-and-white bulldozer, his Jets huddled excitedly alongside him and behind him, ready to tear down that wall, Mr. Belichick.

30.1s071.serby1--300x300.jpg

WATCH YOUR BACK!: Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson closes in on Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during Gang Green's 28-14 win in Week 2. The teams face off again Monday night.

In their animated locker room inside the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center, there lives a universal belief that this is the Jets' time, finally -- that the Jets are better than the Patriots.

"Yeah . . . we believe so," Darrelle Revis told The Post. "I mean, all the talent that we have in this room, and I think just the confidence that we have in the way that we're rolling. This is how teams do it when you're trying to be great, when you're trying to be a great team, this is what you do, you have confidence that you're always gonna win, and it don't matter what the team is and who they are."

They could be the Lombardi Packers. Or the 1985 Bears. Or the Montana 49ers.

Or the 2010 Patriots.

"We respect [the Patriots], they are a great team," guard Matt Slauson said. "But I think we are the better team."

There hasn't been a team around here with this kind of swagger since the 1986 Mets.

From now until Sunday night at the team hotel, an emotional crescendo will build that will reach a boiling point when Ryan gives one of his impassioned speeches from the heart.

"He gets loud, I think he even starts sweating up there, he just gets so amped up," tight end Dustin Keller said. "Only bad thing about it is you get so amped up that you need to go to bed for the game the next day, and we can't."

Close your eyes and picture Ryan on Monday night.

"He's gonna tell us how physical this game is, and that we're the more physical team, and it's gonna be an opportunity to prove it, and everybody's gonna be watching it," Keller said. "And it's our chance to prove that we're the better team in this conference."

Is the belief that you guys have the better team widespread?

"Oh, no question," Keller said. "I don't think there's a single guy on this team that would tell you that we're not the better team. . . . I don't think we've been playing quite to our potential yet. We've had some really good games, so that's scary to think, but there's a lot more we could do."

The Jets whipped Brady and company 28-14 in Week 2. Without Santonio Holmes. With a diminished Revis.

"We truly believe that we have the best 53-man roster in the NFL," Keller said.

"The coaching staff and the organization went out and brought in more players to help us take that next step, and we feel very comfortable with the guys that they've brought in to help us make that next step," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "We feel like if we play our game, we should win games every week."

The Jets have yet to play a complete game. They are planning on playing their best game.

"Yeah, we're ready," Cotchery said. "We're ready for this home stretch. Everyone knows what we have at stake. We have a lot of guys in here that have been in this position. All of the guys are locked in, and they understand what's at stake right now, and that's the best thing about it."

"I think this is the game where offense and defense both are gonna play their best games and special teams are gonna be solid like they always are," Keller said.

They'll never shut up. But they're really looking forward to put up.

"We've talked enough for two seasons," linebacker Bart Scott said. "Now it's time to show people. And that's what we intend to do, show people what we are. . . . Other teams already hate us. . . . Certain fans hate us. . . . We're probably one of the most hated teams in the world. I would like to think so."

The Jets recognize that they don't hand out trophies for 9-2.

"Anything short of a Super Bowl appearance is a failure," Scott said. "We won't be satisfied until this thing is over and we're raising the trophy."

It's time to bulldoze past the intersection of Brady Way and Belichick Boulevard.

"I think we're gonna win," Ryan said. "I think we're always gonna win."

He has company.

Jets underdogs on paper, but not in own minds

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 30, 2010

Trevor Pryce is a graybeard. Literally. There's gray in his beard.

The Jets' 6-foot-5, 290-pound defensive lineman is 35 years old and playing in his 14th NFL season, a career that has spanned 280 games.

When asked yesterday about the magnitude of his 281st career game -- Monday night's showdown against the Patriots in New England for supremacy in the AFC East and possibly in the entire conference -- Pryce didn't dance around the question with a wishy-washy answer.

"This game ranks as high as any game I've ever played," he said. "It gets no bigger than this in the regular season."

30.1s070.cannizzaro1--300x300.jpg

PRYCE IS RIGHT:: Jets defensive end Trevor Pryce and the rest of his teammates are crowing that their team is the best in the AFC -- even better than Monday's opponents, the Patriots.

That was the buzz inside the Jets' locker room as the players returned to work after a three-day hiatus following their Thanksgiving night win over the Bengals.

The players, in fact, spoke as if they wished the game were today, not days away.

"You can't beat all the drama and subplots in the game," right tackle Damien Woody, a former Patriot, said. "I would definitely say this is the most hyped regular-season game I've ever been a part of."

Woody, in his 12th NFL season, took note of the perception that the Patriots are better than the Jets.

"You've got a lot of naysayers out there saying we haven't played anybody, that we've gone to the wire against teams that don't have winning records," he said. "This is a big challenge and a big chance for us to make a statement playing against one of the upper echelon teams in the league."

The Jets are taking utter delight in playing the underdog card this week. Just ask coach Rex Ryan.

"In general court of public opinion, are we the underdog? Absolutely. Do I think we're the underdog? No, I think we're going to win," Ryan said.

"When you look at them and see they're a good team, they've got Tom Brady and they're on a roll. It's easy to make that pick and say they're the favorite," Woody said. "I would say underdogs, but I think we kind of like being in that role."

Despite the fact that the Jets beat the Patriots 28-14 in the second game of the season, the bookmakers have installed New England as a 3½-point favorite.

"It's time to show people what we're all about," linebacker Bart Scott said. "The talking is what gets the spotlight on you, gets the attention on you. Now it's time to show people why we were saying what we were saying. It's time to put up. Now it's all about the substance, and the substance is what we do on the football field.

"Anything short of a Super Bowl appearance is a failure, and we know that. We're not getting excited about 9-2. We know 9-2 doesn't mean anything, 9-2 doesn't guarantee a spot in the Super Bowl, it doesn't guarantee a spot in the playoffs. We won't be satisfied until this thing is over and we're raising the trophy."

Ryan said the Jets "tried to build our team to win the Super Bowl.

"We thought to win a Super Bowl," he said, "you have to beat New England."

Woody, before the season began, told The Post in an interview that the road to the Super Bowl was going to have to travel through Foxborough, Mass.

"Look at where we are now," Woody said yesterday. "We've got to go through Foxborough."

Woody said he doesn't "really care" about people's perceptions about how the Jets got to 9-2, as if it's a tainted 9-2 compared to the Patriots' 9-2.

"Let everyone say we're underdogs," Woody said. "Do we believe it? No. We beat them once before and we feel we can do it again."

The last time the Jets won the AFC East title was 2002. The last time they swept the Patriots in the season series was 2000.

"It's going to be war, man," linebacker Calvin Pace said. "We know them well, they know us. We're not the best of friends, but this is going to be a fun game on a big stage."

Breaking down the numbers: Jets vs. Pats

by Tyson Rauch on November 30, 2010

in Jet News

The Jets are less than a week away from their prime time showdown with the New England Patriots. Lets take a look at how these two AFC powerhouses rank offensively in the NFL.

New England

Yards per game (13th)- 349 yards per game

Points per game (1st) -30.4 points per game

Passing yards per game (12th)- 236 yards per game

Rushing yards per game (16th) - 112.5 yards per game

Time of Possession (28th) -28:20 minutes per game

Turnovers (2nd)- +11

Sacks allowed (4th)- 15 allowed

QB hits allowed (3rd) - 35 allowed

New York

Yards per game (11th)- 361 yards per game

Points per game (10th) -24 points per game

Passing yards per game (18th)- 213 yards per game

Rushing yards per game (2nd) – 148 yards per game

Time of Possession (4th) -32:50 minutes per game

Turnovers (7th)- +7

Sacks allowed (7th)- 19 allowed

QB hits allowed (2nd)- 33 allowed

Based primarily on the numbers you can see that both teams do an excellent job of protecting their quarterback and limiting turnovers. The time of possession results come as no surprise as the Patriots tend to rely on the passing game to move the ball, while Gang Green utilizes the ground and pound philosophy. The only surprising statistic that jumped out to me was the New England’s #1 ranking in points scored. The Patriots have lumped up some teams (Dolphins, Lion, Steelers) while Gang Green has played several tight games (the shutout to the Packers sure kills the #s as well).

Wednesday- Break down of the defensive numbers

Side note: I love the fact that the Jets have taken the actions speak louder than words approach this week. This allows the team to remain focused at the task at hand without adding any fuel to the fire.

Ambitious Jets taking more subdued approach to Patriots showdown

Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 6:53 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

9084670-large.jpg

Mark Sanchez threw for 220 yards and three touchdowns in the Jets' early-season win over the Patriots.

Rex Ryan, never one to shy away from using props during a news conference, didn’t miss his first chance this week.

Monday afternoon, the Jets coach held up the December issue of InStyle magazine and showed it to a crowded room of reporters. On page 329 was an ad of his wife, Michelle, modeling the NFL’s “Fit for You” fashion line for women.

“Yes, I’m also married to a supermodel,” he said, referencing New England quarterback Tom Brady.

After a three-day weekend, the Jets returned to work, with Monday night’s showdown between the 9-2 AFC East rivals looming — though perhaps “looming” isn’t the appropriate word for how the team seems to be approaching the inevitable hype.

Ryan had fun with the early media circus at team headquarters. The locker room seemed level and subdued. The attitude belonged to a team that coolly expects games with critical postseason implications like this one, a necessary hurdle toward the ultimate goal of a championship.

“I’m not buying it,” veteran defensive tackle Trevor Pryce said of the hype. “I’ve got to be like Tom Brady, concentrate on what I do.”

Of course, there’s no downplaying what this game means for both teams. The winner in Foxborough, Mass., will sit atop the AFC East, in the driver’s seat for the division crown and home playoff games, four weeks from the finish line of the regular season. The loser would be on the wild-card track.

A tie in the game would favor the Jets, who won the teams’ first meeting in Week 2 and would thus hold the tiebreaker.

New England has won the division six of the past seven years, and no one on the Jets knows how significant it would be to buck that trend better than Shaun Ellis, the longest-tenured Jet.

“They represent winning, I guess,” the defensive end said of the Patriots. “They have done a lot of that.”

From the moment Ryan arrived, he made it clear his plan was to upset that traditional pecking order. He left no doubt of that when he proclaimed, “I never came here to kiss Bill Belichick’s rings.”

A year-and-a-half later, with an AFC Championship run and a 9-2 record under his belt, Ryan is still defiant but can also approach the rivalry more like a confident peer. He has played up the underdog factor, and publicly said, “I think we’re going to win.” But he’s also spent a great deal of time praising Belichick and Brady, and concentrated on what this game objectively is: a clash of the two teams who lead the AFC in wins.

That’s where his players’ focus is this week.

“Right now, I’m done talking,” linebacker Bart Scott said. “It’s time to show people what we’re all about. Talking is what gets the spotlight on you, gets the attention on you, and now it’s time to show people why we’re saying what we’re saying.

“It’s time to put up. We’re all about business.”

The Jets have made it abundantly clear their business this season involves a Super Bowl. And with the Patriots and the Jets sharing the best record in football with Atlanta, it’s quite possible this isn’t even the most significant game these rivals will play this season.

There’s still January, and the Jets are expecting that, too.

“Will these two teams meet again?” Ryan asked. “Probably. There is a good chance of it, so it might not be two this year. It’ll probably be another one in the playoffs.”

Jets tone down the trash talk, but Rex Ryan continues with vocal ways, expects Jets to beat Patriots

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_ryan.jpg

Linebacker Bart Scott says that the time for talking is over and it's time for the Jets to show people what they can do against Tom Brady and the Patriots, a game Rex Ryan expects to win.

The talking points were very Belichickian: Sleep-inducing, politically correct takes on everything from Tom Brady's efficiency to Deion Branch's veteran presence.

On most days, the Jets deliver sizzle, shoot-from-the-hip anecdotes that have turned Rex Ryan's team into the most polarizing bunch in the league.

A week before the most anticipated game of the year, the Jets, quite frankly, sounded an awful lot like the Patriots on Monday.

In perhaps the biggest irony of all in the run-up to next Monday night's showdown in Foxborough, the Jets went rogue by saying, well, nothing controversial.

"We talked enough for two seasons," linebacker Bart Scott said. "Now it's time to show people. That's what we intend to do. All the talking ain't going to help us get no first downs. Other teams already hate us. Certain fans hate us. We're probably one of the most hated teams in the world."

So, Scott & Co. didn't feed into the swelling hype. The ramifications from a game between two 9-2 AFC East rivals are obvious. The winner has the inside track on the No. 1 seed in the playoffs. The loser is staring at a likely No. 5 seed. The Jets, in effect, would hold a two-game lead over the Patriots if they could pull off the season sweep.

"We know that this is not going to be a pushover team," cornerback Darrelle Revis said. "We can't escape them and they can't escape us. Every game we want to prove a point. They don't back away from competition. We don't, either."

From Ryan's infamous remark of refusing to kiss Bill Belichick's Super Bowl rings to Brady's offseason admission that he refused to watch "Hard Knocks" because he hated the Jets, there are plenty of reasons to pay attention on Monday.

"You can't beat all the drama and all the subplots," said right tackle Damien Woody.

Although the Jets stopped short of using the dreaded "H" word, it's apparent they don't care much for the team that has owned the AFC East for the better part of a decade.

"The Jets and the Patriots have had some pretty heated battles over the course of the past 6-7 years on the field and off the field," Braylon Edwards said. "There's been some things said about that organization (and) this organization. I think it's one of those ugly rivalries."

Ryan, of course, has done his part to frame the truth as he sees it: The Jets, who beat the Patriots in Week 2, are the clear underdogs.

"In the general court of public opinion, absolutely we're the underdogs," Ryan said. "Do I view us as the underdogs? No, I think we're going to win."

Outside linebacker Calvin Pace said that "I'd put us as underdogs if I didn't play for this team." Edwards said he believed the Patriots' "mystique" trumps the Jets' 28-14 win in September in most people's minds.

"Let everybody else tell it: we're the underdogs," Woody said. "Brady. Belichick. At home. What does that equal? Jets underdog ... which is fine. I don't care. Do we believe it? No. We beat them once before. We feel like we can do it again."

So, mum's the word this week.

"They want to see us put our foot in our mouth," Scott said. "I think a lot of people were excited when we lost that first game to the Ravens. I don't know if they're too excited now, and I don't want them to get excited.

"I wish (the Patriots) were 2-9 and packing it in so I could have a nice lovely day and anticipate that they won't show up," Scott added. "But it didn't work out that way."

Rex Ryan is a character in mold of Casey Stengel and Bill Parcells, but wants Bill Belichick's rings

Mike Lupica

alg_rex.jpg

Jets coach Rex Ryan says he doesn't want to be like Bill Belichick (below) - "I want to be like myself" - but he says on Monday that he does want to mirror the New England coach's success.

The clock on the wall behind Rex Ryan in the Jets' interview room says 2:11, and it is the time of the afternoon to talk about one of the very best things in sports, and that is the big game. But it is always more than that when Ryan steps to the microphone, whether he is here to talk about a Monday night game between his Jets and the Patriots or not. It is showtime. It is the fun of being this coach of this team at this time. You know what other coach or manager in sports brings this kind of fun with him into the room? None of them. Nobody.

Before Ryan is even asked a question, he looks out at the crowd in front of him and says, "Few more people in the room today, the way I like it."

And smiles.

Before long, and without much prompting, he is talking about Tom Brady, using the material he has clearly brought with him, observing how similar he and Brady are, starting with the "obvious physical similarities." Then, talking about how Brady is married to a supermodel, Ryan opens up "In Style" magazine to show a picture of his wife. Sometimes Ryan doesn't just show up with material, he brings props, too.

"Page 329," showing off the photograph of Brady's wife. Nods and grins and says, "So we're very similar in that way."

We have had other characters in big jobs here, all the way back to Casey Stengel. Bill Parcells was big and could be funny himself, when he was in the mood, anyway. But there has never been anybody quite like Ryan, either on the New York City side of the Hudson or the Jersey side. He gets his message out the way the other coaches do and gets his shots in - "The way you guys have been reporting, I thought we had the worst defense," he said Monday - and somehow he does it all without acting like all the others, the ones who act as if the next answer they give might lose them their jobs.

Or at least their next game.

It was last December when the Jets, his Jets, suffered a bad loss to the Falcons at home. They were 7-7 and Ryan thought they were out of the playoffs, thought the Jets had lost their chance to make the kind of playoff run he was sure they had in them. You know what happened after that. You see what has happened this season. Now it is the 9-2 Jets against the 9-2 Patriots next Monday night in Foxborough, as big a regular-season game as the Jets have ever had, the game of the NFL season so far.

From 7-7 to here, Ryan's Jets have lost three football games. One was to Peyton Manning in the AFC Championship Game. You want to know how fast he has changed everything around the Jets? The Jets playing a big game like this against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick and the Patriots feels as normal as the Yankees against the Red Sox in September. The Jets haven't won a Super Bowl since Joe Namath and the Patriots have won three in this decade. Still: The AFC East feels like the AL East when it is the Jets against the Patriots, for now, anyway.

"I think we're gonna win," Rex Ryan said Monday. "But I always think we're gonna win."

It is the way he thinks and talks and it is the way his players think and talk. He believes and has made them believe. Once the Jets got into the playoffs last season, Ryan said they were going to win the Super Bowl and the whole league thought he had gotten light-headed from lack of food. But before we all knew it, the Jets had a lead on the Colts in the championship game before Manning carved his initials into them in the second half.

No coach in the sport, any sport, can talk the way Ryan can. But the Jets keep backing him up. They have no easy schedule after the Patriots, by the way. They've still got to play the Bears in Chicago and the Steelers in Pittsburgh. But if they win this game, they will have the best record in their conference and a record as good as anybody in the league and the inside shot at having the No. 1 seed in the AFC going into the playoffs.

"We might have the courage to say it when the others don't," Ryan said.

And then he was talking about how the Jets might have to play the Patriots again in January to settle things between them, no matter who wins next Monday night.

"Will these two teams meet again?" he said. "Probably."

Then: "The only way this could be better if it were the last game of the year."

He was in the room for about 20 minutes Monday. He spent the first part of that time blowing more smoke at Belichick, saying things he'd said before about Belichick being the best coach in the league. All that. None of the old material about how he wasn't coming into this with the Jets to kiss Belichick's rings or anything else.

"Do I want to be like him?" Ryan said. "I want to be like myself. But I want to have the success he's had."

The Jets haven't won anything yet. What they keep doing is demanding the spotlight, as much as any team in their sport right now.

And every single time the spotlight hits them, they act as if they belong. We knew the coach was a heavyweight the first time we laid eyes on him. Now his team plays like one. Big game. Big fun. Always starts with the big guy.

"We've talked enough for two seasons," linebacker Bart Scott said. "Now it's time to show people. And that's what we intend to do, show people what we are. . . . Other teams already hate us. . . . Certain fans hate us. . . . We're probably one of the most hated teams in the world. I would like to think so."

And I new sig is born.

Thanks for posting these Jimmy...love reading them in the morning with my coffee before I actually do a little work.

Steve Serby writes either one of 2 columns every week based on the outcome of the game of the previous week;

Jets (or Giants) will win the Super Bowl or

Jets (or Giants) suck awfully bad.

Kinda hard to take that seriously either way.

Rex Ryan is a character in mold of Casey Stengel and Bill Parcells, but wants Bill Belichick's rings

Mike Lupica

alg_rex.jpg

Jets coach Rex Ryan says he doesn't want to be like Bill Belichick (below) - "I want to be like myself" - but he says on Monday that he does want to mirror the New England coach's success.

The clock on the wall behind Rex Ryan in the Jets' interview room says 2:11, and it is the time of the afternoon to talk about one of the very best things in sports, and that is the big game. But it is always more than that when Ryan steps to the microphone, whether he is here to talk about a Monday night game between his Jets and the Patriots or not. It is showtime. It is the fun of being this coach of this team at this time. You know what other coach or manager in sports brings this kind of fun with him into the room? None of them. Nobody.

Before Ryan is even asked a question, he looks out at the crowd in front of him and says, "Few more people in the room today, the way I like it."

And smiles.

Before long, and without much prompting, he is talking about Tom Brady, using the material he has clearly brought with him, observing how similar he and Brady are, starting with the "obvious physical similarities." Then, talking about how Brady is married to a supermodel, Ryan opens up "In Style" magazine to show a picture of his wife. Sometimes Ryan doesn't just show up with material, he brings props, too.

"Page 329," showing off the photograph of Brady's wife. Nods and grins and says, "So we're very similar in that way."

We have had other characters in big jobs here, all the way back to Casey Stengel. Bill Parcells was big and could be funny himself, when he was in the mood, anyway. But there has never been anybody quite like Ryan, either on the New York City side of the Hudson or the Jersey side. He gets his message out the way the other coaches do and gets his shots in - "The way you guys have been reporting, I thought we had the worst defense," he said Monday - and somehow he does it all without acting like all the others, the ones who act as if the next answer they give might lose them their jobs.

Or at least their next game.

It was last December when the Jets, his Jets, suffered a bad loss to the Falcons at home. They were 7-7 and Ryan thought they were out of the playoffs, thought the Jets had lost their chance to make the kind of playoff run he was sure they had in them. You know what happened after that. You see what has happened this season. Now it is the 9-2 Jets against the 9-2 Patriots next Monday night in Foxborough, as big a regular-season game as the Jets have ever had, the game of the NFL season so far.

From 7-7 to here, Ryan's Jets have lost three football games. One was to Peyton Manning in the AFC Championship Game. You want to know how fast he has changed everything around the Jets? The Jets playing a big game like this against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick and the Patriots feels as normal as the Yankees against the Red Sox in September. The Jets haven't won a Super Bowl since Joe Namath and the Patriots have won three in this decade. Still: The AFC East feels like the AL East when it is the Jets against the Patriots, for now, anyway.

"I think we're gonna win," Rex Ryan said Monday. "But I always think we're gonna win."

It is the way he thinks and talks and it is the way his players think and talk. He believes and has made them believe. Once the Jets got into the playoffs last season, Ryan said they were going to win the Super Bowl and the whole league thought he had gotten light-headed from lack of food. But before we all knew it, the Jets had a lead on the Colts in the championship game before Manning carved his initials into them in the second half.

No coach in the sport, any sport, can talk the way Ryan can. But the Jets keep backing him up. They have no easy schedule after the Patriots, by the way. They've still got to play the Bears in Chicago and the Steelers in Pittsburgh. But if they win this game, they will have the best record in their conference and a record as good as anybody in the league and the inside shot at having the No. 1 seed in the AFC going into the playoffs.

"We might have the courage to say it when the others don't," Ryan said.

And then he was talking about how the Jets might have to play the Patriots again in January to settle things between them, no matter who wins next Monday night.

"Will these two teams meet again?" he said. "Probably."

Then: "The only way this could be better if it were the last game of the year."

He was in the room for about 20 minutes Monday. He spent the first part of that time blowing more smoke at Belichick, saying things he'd said before about Belichick being the best coach in the league. All that. None of the old material about how he wasn't coming into this with the Jets to kiss Belichick's rings or anything else.

"Do I want to be like him?" Ryan said. "I want to be like myself. But I want to have the success he's had."

The Jets haven't won anything yet. What they keep doing is demanding the spotlight, as much as any team in their sport right now.

And every single time the spotlight hits them, they act as if they belong. We knew the coach was a heavyweight the first time we laid eyes on him. Now his team plays like one. Big game. Big fun. Always starts with the big guy.

Wasn't the photo of Ryan's wife Michelle?

Steve Serby writes either one of 2 columns every week based on the outcome of the game of the previous week;

Jets (or Giants) will win the Super Bowl or

Jets (or Giants) suck awfully bad.

Kinda hard to take that seriously either way.

i can't beleive he's still around? what was he 14 when Richard Todd stuffed him in the locker?

Breaking down the numbers: Jets vs. Pats

by Tyson Rauch on November 30, 2010

in Jet News

The Jets are less than a week away from their prime time showdown with the New England Patriots. Lets take a look at how these two AFC powerhouses rank offensively in the NFL.

New England

Yards per game (13th)- 349 yards per game

Points per game (1st) -30.4 points per game

Passing yards per game (12th)- 236 yards per game

Rushing yards per game (16th) - 112.5 yards per game

Time of Possession (28th) -28:20 minutes per game

Turnovers (2nd)- +11

Sacks allowed (4th)- 15 allowed

QB hits allowed (3rd) - 35 allowed

New York

Yards per game (11th)- 361 yards per game

Points per game (10th) -24 points per game

Passing yards per game (18th)- 213 yards per game

Rushing yards per game (2nd) – 148 yards per game

Time of Possession (4th) -32:50 minutes per game

Turnovers (7th)- +7

Sacks allowed (7th)- 19 allowed

QB hits allowed (2nd)- 33 allowed

Based primarily on the numbers you can see that both teams do an excellent job of protecting their quarterback and limiting turnovers. The time of possession results come as no surprise as the Patriots tend to rely on the passing game to move the ball, while Gang Green utilizes the ground and pound philosophy. The only surprising statistic that jumped out to me was the New England’s #1 ranking in points scored. The Patriots have lumped up some teams (Dolphins, Lion, Steelers) while Gang Green has played several tight games (the shutout to the Packers sure kills the #s as well).

Wednesday- Break down of the defensive numbers

Side note: I love the fact that the Jets have taken the actions speak louder than words approach this week. This allows the team to remain focused at the task at hand without adding any fuel to the fire.

Whoa whoa whoa...The Jets offensive numbers are that good with a bottom 5 playcaller?

Jinkees!

Now seeing these numbers...if this game went into shootout mode does anyone have faith in Sanchez to keep up with Brady?

Whoa whoa whoa...The Jets offensive numbers are that good with a bottom 5 playcaller?

Jinkees!

Now seeing these numbers...if this game went into shootout mode does anyone have faith in Sanchez to keep up with Brady?

when you factor in the defenses, yes

sanchez has holmes, edwards, keller, LT, cotchery, smith and greene going against an awful defense

brady is up against a top 5 defense with woodhead, welker , some old guy and some rookies

Archived