Breaking down the numbers: Jets vs. Patriots – Part 2 Defense

JetNation

jets.gif

As the Jets/Patriots showdown moves one day closer lets take a look at how the teams rank defensively.

Total Yards allowed per game

NYJ (3rd) – 296 yards per game

NE (31st)- 399 yards per game

Passing Yards allowed per game

NYJ (12th) – 210 yards per game

NE (32nd) – 288 yards per game

Rushing Yards allowed per game

NYJ (4th)- 86 yards per game

NE (16th) – 110 yards per game

Points Allowed per game

NYJ (4th) – 17 points per game

NE (22nd) – 24 points per game

Sacks

NYJ (12th) – 24 sacks

NE( 22nd) – 20 sacks

Interceptions

NYJ  (28th) – 7 interceptions

NE (4th) - 15 interceptions

Forced Fumbles

NYJ (15th)- 10 forced fumbles

NE ( 32nd) – 4 forced fumbles

As expected the New York Jets defense ranks statistically better than the Patriots in most of the categories.  Of course games are not won on paper, so once the lights come on Monday night anything can happen.

Gang Green’s defense has been taking some heat as of late for their lackluster performances, while the Patriots young playmakers are starting to find ways to shut down their opponents.  It will be interesting to see which defense will be able to get pressure on the opposing quarterback.  This has the potential to be a very close game and it may come down to which defense can make a big play to solidify the victory.

wa6QseUTL00

View the full article

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pats last three opponents have scored 26, 28 and 24 points. Who the hell are they starting to "shut down?"

They allowed 406 yards to the Lions on Thanksgiving Day. That's only 7 yards more than the Pats per game average of 399.1 allowed per game.

Only three teams in the history of the NFL have allowed 400 or more yards per game over the course of an entire season. The Pats are in serious danger of joining that ignominious group.

The Pats defense is terrible, it isn't improving. It really isn't showing any signs of improving and games against the Jets, Bears and Packers in the coming weeks should expose it even further.

The Pats last three opponents have scored 26, 28 and 24 points. Who the hell are they starting to "shut down?"

They allowed 406 yards to the Lions on Thanksgiving Day. That's only 7 yards more than the Pats per game average of 399.1 allowed per game.

Only three teams in the history of the NFL have allowed 400 or more yards per game over the course of an entire season. The Pats are in serious danger of joining that ignominious group.

The Pats defense is terrible, it isn't improving. It really isn't showing any signs of improving and games against the Jets, Bears and Packers in the coming weeks should expose it even further.

Yes, the Pats defense (with certainty against the pass- the short intermediate kind) pretty much sucks...but to say it has not improved is stupid, Zippy.

Yes, the Pats defense (with certainty against the pass- the short intermediate kind) pretty much sucks...but to say it has not improved is stupid, Zippy.

Really?

The Pats are allowing an average of 288.5 passing yards per game this year. Since the bye, the Pats have allowed three QBs to throw for well over 300 yards (336 by Rivers, 387 by Big Ben, 396 by Manning) they have allowed two to throw right at about their season average, 285 (Favre and Shaun Hill) and only one to throw for below their season average and that was when a rookie Colt McCoy threw for only 174 yards but completed a staggering 74% of his passes in a game that he really didn't need to throw a single pass because Peyton Hillis literally ran all over the Pats D. BTW, that was only three weeks ago.

Where the hell is this alleged improvement? The Pats have allowed an AVERAGE of 303.14 passing yards per game since their bye. That's improvement?

Really?

The Pats are allowing an average of 288.5 passing yards per game this year. Since the bye, the Pats have allowed three QBs to throw for well over 300 yards (336 by Rivers, 387 by Big Ben, 396 by Manning) they have allowed two to throw right at about their season average, 285 (Favre and Shaun Hill) and only one to throw for below their season average and that was when a rookie Colt McCoy threw for only 174 yards but completed a staggering 74% of his passes in a game that he really didn't need to throw a single pass because Peyton Hillis literally ran all over the Pats D. BTW, that was only three weeks ago.

Where the hell is this alleged improvement? The Pats have allowed an AVERAGE of 303.14 passing yards per game since their bye. That's improvement?

They've improved, because Pats fans said they would. The fact that they actually havent improved is going to stand in the way of their case. Come'on, you know that.

Really?

LOL!!! Watch a game. They give a sh*t load of yardage in the air. Their third down efficiency sucks. Yet, they do enough to allow the offense back on the field and score more points. McCourty has improved immensely. Arrtington sucks. The safeties bend....bend....break. The run defense looks so good sometimes...and then sometimes, meh. Still, and I am not saying it's good (far from) it really is better than before. They actually produce a pass rush from time to time. The calls in the secondary are better and have resulted in some fortuitous picks. I know you are a stats whore, Zippy, but it's not always the story.

LOL!!! Watch a game. They give a sh*t load of yardage in the air. Their third down efficiency sucks. Yet, they do enough to allow the offense back on the field and score more points. McCourty has improved immensely. Arrtington sucks. The safeties bend....bend....break. The run defense looks so good sometimes...and then sometimes, meh. Still, and I am not saying it's good (far from) it really is better than before. They actually produce a pass rush from time to time. The calls in the secondary are better and have resulted in some fortuitous picks. I know you are a stats whore, Zippy, but it's not always the story.

Stats are the way measure the alleged improvement of a defense and the reality is a smacking you around right now.

You better hope they don't get exposed in this most crucial time of year. Scratch that, you better pray.

If the Pats make the postseason with this defense you're gonna see another ugly one and done from BB and Co.

Stats are the way measure the alleged improvement of a defense and the reality is a smacking you around right now.

You better hope they don't get exposed in this most crucial time of year. Scratch that, you better pray.

If the Pats make the postseason with this defense you're gonna see another ugly one and done from BB and Co.

Poor Zippy...

Eye test. They are better. They still blow on Pass D and the Pass Rush, is at best, inconsistent.

I have no illusions that they are Superbowl caliber. If they make the post season, I do expect an early exit. The pass d is not good enough - it would be less detrminetal is they had a good pass rush...would not expose the defensive backfield so much.

The way to beat the Pats is:

1) Score early

2) Score by throwing short to intermediate passes in the middle of the field. That is their most vulnerable.

3) Pressure Brady up the middle. You blitz from the outside, they will expose your middle D - which, no offense, your safeties are as bad as the Pats'.

Poor Zippy...

Eye test. They are better. They still blow on Pass D and the Pass Rush, is at best, inconsistent.

I have no illusions that they are Superbowl caliber. If they make the post season, I do expect an early exit. The pass d is not good enough - it would be less detrminetal is they had a good pass rush...would not expose the defensive backfield so much.

1) Score early

2) Score by throwing short to intermediate passes in the middle of the field. That is their most vulnerable.

3) Pressure Brady up the middle. You blitz from the outside, they will expose your middle D - which, no offense, your safeties are as bad as the Pats'.

According to my eyes I see people racking up huge passing yards against the Pats week after week.

They look as bad now, maybe even worse than, they did in week 2 when the Jets beat the ever loving sh*t out of them.

According to my eyes I see people racking up huge passing yards against the Pats week after week.

They look as bad now, maybe even worse than, they did in week 2 when the Jets beat the ever loving sh*t out of them.

They're giving up massive amounts of yardage through the air partially because they score a ton. Not that surprising that Rivers, Manning and big rape put up a lot of yards considering they were behind the entire game. Note that I'm not saying that the pass defense doesn't suck (it does) but the statistics have definitely been skewed. Should be interesting to see if our defense can keep the scoring down.

They're giving up massive amounts of yardage through the air partially because they score a ton. Not that surprising that Rivers, Manning and big rape put up a lot of yards considering they were behind the entire game. Note that I'm not saying that the pass defense doesn't suck (it does) but the statistics have definitely been skewed. Should be interesting to see if our defense can keep the scoring down.

Still doesn't mean they are improving as Garb insists.

What's remarkable is that the Jets' defense statistically is still very good despite those late drives and collapses like the Browns and Texans. If they can put it all together, they should win. That's simple, but not easy; it means getting pressure on Brady and stoppiing the Welker/Edelmann/Woodhead/Grankoski White Guy Offense over the middle stuff. Wouldn't be suprised if the Jets play a lot of nickel and dime even on 1st down to dare the Pats to run.

Poor Zippy...

1) Score early

Garb, What you fail to mention is that Brady loves to eat up zone coverages. He picks them apart. Man-to-man-That has given him more fits in the past.

I believe this game boils down to Jet effectiveness in the Red Zone-Can they punch touchdowns, rather than FGs?

Garb, What you fail to mention is that Brady loves to eat up zone coverages. He picks them apart. Man-to-man-That has given him more fits in the past.

I believe this game boils down to Jet effectiveness in the Red Zone-Can they punch touchdowns, rather than FGs?

Agreed. But I think back to the first game where Brady was forcing the deep ball to Moss. Contrary to popular belief, the deep ball is not Brady's forte. So, they went back to the basics. Dink and dunk. Quicker to develop - faster release - you go man on Branch and Welker - leaving the safeties to cover the TE's with help from an LB or Wilson playing nickle, I guess.

This. Hence my little thingy under my avatar. Settling for FG's will be death for the Jets. Got to score when you get in the redzone.

The Pats defense is sh*t. It really is. The Jets should be able to take advantage of it, especially considering the success they had in the 2nd half of the first game and now the addition of Holmes.

Problem is, the Jets offense blows, it shouldnt, but it does...so its going to be very interesting.

This. Hence my little thingy under my avatar. Settling for FG's will be death for the Jets. Got to score when you get in the redzone.

The Pats defense is sh*t. It really is. The Jets should be able to take advantage of it, especially considering the success they had in the 2nd half of the first game and now the addition of Holmes.

Problem is, the Jets offense blows, it shouldnt, but it does...so its going to be very interesting.

Good thing the defense has been winning games for us all year.

/bizzaro'd

Agreed. But I think back to the first game where Brady was forcing the deep ball to Moss. Contrary to popular belief, the deep ball is not Brady's forte. So, they went back to the basics. Dink and dunk. Quicker to develop - faster release - you go man on Branch and Welker - leaving the safeties to cover the TE's with help from an LB or Wilson playing nickle, I guess.

With the jets, use have to use the term "cover" on TE's very gingerly.

I am interested to see how Rex tries to cover that up

Garb, seriously, how has the Pats' defense gotten better?

Are you pinning it on INTs?

Because if you look at the start of the season compared to now, the Pats defense has gotten worse in every statistical category. You guys didn't start off at 22nd in points and 31st in yards.

With the jets, use have to use the term "cover" on TE's very gingerly.

I am interested to see how Rex tries to cover that up

Patriots will be scoring 24-30 in this game.

Count on that.

I actually thought they did a good job against Shipley and Gresham last week. Shipley had the TD, but for a slot guy who can hurt teams that have problems covering the middle field, he didnt do too much.

And I think the only way the Pats score over 25 is if the Jets turn the ball over. The Jets dont give up that many points to anyone. If you can hold Aaron Rodgers and company out of the endzone for an entire game, you can keep the Pats to under 20pts.

I see this to be a 23/20 to 14/17 who ever wins.

Garb, seriously, how has the Pats' defense gotten better?

Are you pinning it on INTs?

Because if you look at the start of the season compared to now, the Pats defense has gotten worse in every statistical category. You guys didn't start off at 22nd in points and 31st in yards.

They stink...and they havent improved, but Pats fans told us they would...so they have.

They scored 14 the first time. No Moss threat.

The Jets have are responsible for 50% of Brady's interceptions this year so far.

Last year the Pats scored 9 points in Jersey and then put up 31 in Foxboro. Moss wasn't a factor in either game.

wait so you're saying the pats defense is improving because the offense is able to get on the field and outscore whatever points they give up?

Last year the Pats scored 9 points in Jersey and then put up 31 in Foxboro. Moss wasn't a factor in either game.

Actually, he was a negative factor in the first game this year. Brady was forcing the ball to him the entire game and certainly in the second half. Result? Pick.

wait so you're saying the pats defense is improving because the offense is able to get on the field and outscore whatever points they give up?

The defense has improved. That does not mean it's good. There is less confusion in the secondary - doesn't mean they are good. They get a little more pressuer on the QB - does not mean it's great. With the exception of Hillis, the run defense has gotten better, doesn't mean its scary.

Last year, Sanchez turned the ball over 5 times in Foxboro, which was the reason the Pats scored 31 points.

Are you predicting that happens again?

Last year, Sanchez turned the ball over 5 times in Foxboro, which was the reason the Pats scored 31 points.

Are you predicting that happens again?

I'm not predicting anything as I was simply stating what occurred last year. Do you think Brady is going to throw 2 picks on Monday?

I'm not predicting anything as I was simply stating what occurred last year. Do you think Brady is going to throw 2 picks on Monday?

Maybe not two, but probably one. Don't underestimate the secondary the Jets have put together...unlike yours we have veterans at ours...and some really good ones at that.

If it helps, Sanchez will probably throw one too.

Both secondaries have been rounding into slightly less sh*tty form lately, and both units have quick, athletic, intelligent players...Difference being that the average Jets starter has 4-5 years experience in the league...

I guess you are right. Giving up TDs allows the offense back on the field.

I thought about this ad I'm not worried. I'm the first to point out that the Jets O probably keeps the score down to protect the D. Thing is, if the Pats are always winning they should be playing to stop the pass. They aren't doing it. Their are much better in points against than yardage, so they have that for them, but the fact they are up means that maybe they suck against the run too. Maybe, like the Browns, we can feed the ball to Greene and Tomlinson and total them. I am hopeful.

I guess you are right. Giving up TDs allows the offense back on the field.

I thought about this ad I'm not worried. I'm the first to point out that the Jets O probably keeps the score down to protect the D. Thing is, if the Pats are always winning they should be playing to stop the pass. They aren't doing it. Their are much better in points against than yardage, so they have that for them, but the fact they are up means that maybe they suck against the run too. Maybe, like the Browns, we can feed the ball to Greene and Tomlinson and total them. I am hopeful.

The Pats D absolutely sucks against the pass but are pretty decent against the run. If the game comes down to Sanchez I like the Pats chances.

The Pats D absolutely sucks against the pass but are pretty decent against the run. If the game comes down to Sanchez I like the Pats chances.

Doesen't make much sense. What does make sense is that the cleveland, detroit, and houston game all came down to Sanchez and he he absolutely came through. Cleveland is ranked 22, Detroit at 21, Houston at 29. Pats D is at 31.

Better yet Cleveland's pass defense is 19, the lions are 18, Texans 31, Pats 32.

I would feel confident if this game came down to sanchez.

Archived