Jim Leonhard Injured in Practice, Update: OUT Rest of Season

SMC

Several media outlets are reporting that New York Jets safety Jim Leonhard is out for the year due to an injury to his lower leg.  The details of the injury have not yet surfaced, but there are some rumblings that it is a broken tibia.

This is a major blow to the Jets secondary as Leonhard calls the defensive signals.  In addition Jim was the Jets primary punt returner.  As of now Eric Smith is reportedly replacing Leonhard in the secondary while the returner has not yet been named.  The candidates range from Kyle Wilson to Antonio Cromartie to possibly rookie Joe McKnight.

qh_9U90jYRU

View the full article

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are freaking ridiculous on the punt return thing. I've NEVER in my life heard about how good someone was "securing" punts.

Wilson has not returned many punts for us this year, but i remember him fumbling one on a return earlier in the year. (i think it went out of bounds or we recovered, but still a scary moment)

Wilson has not returned many punts for us this year, but i remember him fumbling one on a return earlier in the year. (i think it went out of bounds or we recovered, but still a scary moment)

It was recovered by Leonhard..lol

Hopefully the Jets players do a better job maintaining their composure, in light of this injury, than the fans... I'd like to see more Ihedigbo out there personally, he reminds me of Elam. Not exactly blessed with talent, but always where the ball is blowin' somebody up.

This sucks. somebody is gonna have to step up. especially on punt returns. he was very reliable catching and securing the ball.

Patrick Turner is who he banged into and got hurt. It sort of reminds me of when Santana Moss got hurt in practice when that scrub Eric Ogbogu ran up on the back of his leg. Santonio used to return punts Jim-I'd like to see what he can do this week on a couple of returns-Rex mentioned his name today when asked who might return punts.

Oh yea and at the end here, you can hear him pissed at the way all the Patriots are saying the same things about how "great" a team we are-Rex called BS and said he felt they were being sarcastic and then said they're gonna find out Monday night...whoa-check it out...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/123-Coach-Ryan-News-Conference/9f17399d-914b-4996-bdf7-1b2bcdb86862

LOL you guys can't get enough of his fair catch ability. The roster is filled with guys who caught punts in college including Revis, Drew Coleman and Marquis Cole. Cromartie's returned punts. If you just want someone sure handed to catch the ball you can always stick Cotchery back there when fully healthy. I can't believe how many of you guys have that play not to lose approach. Give me the possible game changer in Wilson in the first place imo.

Patrick Turner is who he banged into and got hurt. It sort of reminds me of when Santana Moss got hurt in practice when that scrub Eric Ogbogu ran up on the back of his leg. Santonio used to return punts Jim-I'd like to see what he can do this week on a couple of returns-Rex mentioned his name today when asked who might return punts.

Oh yea and at the end here, you can hear him pissed at the way all the Patriots are saying the same things about how "great" a team we are-Rex called BS and said he felt they were being sarcastic and then said they're gonna find out Monday night...whoa-check it out...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/123-Coach-Ryan-News-Conference/9f17399d-914b-4996-bdf7-1b2bcdb86862

I would put Cotchery back there to return punts before I put Santonio back there. and Monday cant frickin get here quick enough.

LOL you guys can't get enough of his fair catch ability. The roster is filled with guys who caught punts in college including Revis, Drew Coleman and Marquis Cole. Cromartie's returned punts. If you just want someone sure handed to catch the ball you can always stick Cotchery back there when fully healthy. I can't believe how many of you guys have that play not to loose approach. Give me the possible game changer in Wilson in the first place imo.

How many of the guys you mentioned have been sure handed punt returners in the NFL when every guy on the other team runs faster than anyone you played against in college and hits even harder? I am not saying that they cannot do it, but there is a comfort level with Leonhard

http://www.newyorkje...f7-1b2bcdb86862

Turner did not hurt him... lol

Stop trying to blame the poor kid... who by the way is the 4th best WR on the team.

LOL you guys can't get enough of his fair catch ability. The roster is filled with guys who caught punts in college including Revis, Drew Coleman and Marquis Cole. Cromartie's returned punts. If you just want someone sure handed to catch the ball you can always stick Cotchery back there when fully healthy. I can't believe how many of you guys have that play not to loose approach. Give me the possible game changer in Wilson in the first place imo.

LOL! Justin Miller cost the Jets 2 games by not being able to catch punts in 2005. he was a ''great punt returner'' in college.

I really dont want the turtles head coming out of my a$$ every time the Jets have to catch a punt.

LOL! Justin Miller cost the Jets 2 games by not being able to catch punts in 2005. he was a ''great punt returner'' in college.

I really dont want the turtles head coming out of my a$$ every time the Jets have to catch a punt.

That turtle head will evidently be bigger than your balls. Leonhard was a wasted chance at a big play. I realize I'm completely in the minority but they'll miss him A LOT more on Defense than on punt returns.

J-Crotch (assuming his groin is healthy) will be returning punts btw, he's done it before.

This. He's been a PR for the Jets plenty of times before, splitting the duties with Leon prior to Leonhard's arrival. Any time the Jets are worried about any ball security type issues based on field position or whatever, Cotchery will be the guy in there. He's sure handed and the guy isn't going to fumble. But just like with Leonhard and probably even moreso now, if the Jets feel like they're in a comfortable situation, Wilson will get his chances back there as well. If their confident enough in him, McKnight could be a possibility and also let's not forget Lowery has been used by the Jets as a returner in the past as well. There are more than enough options that it's really not going to be a major concern.

That's not saying much. His competition is Brad Smith and Tony Richardson running his split-out-wide-to-help-Sanchez-read-the-defense route.

I think he could be a #3 and occasional #2 on a team that isnt stacked up front like the JETS.

Once again, it's official, you are all nuts.

Leonhard is an excellent athlete. He's plenty fast for a S. His only issue is that he is a midget. The thing Welker, Leonhard and Woodhead have in common is not that they are "srcappy" or white it's that they are midgets.

I don't think we will see much Ihedigbo at S. We will see him more at LB. He is NOT a cover guy. Smith is bad in coverage, but he's better than dig. I'd hope to see some of Lowery back there. We should be playing more zone and he shouldn't be covering any speed guys. I wonder if Cole is back. He could help, in particular taking over for Lowery if Lowery plays more S.

I think we will see more McKnight on specials and he'll be active and possibly return punts. Smith? Holmes? Cromartie? Cromartie has never returned punts to my knowledge. He returned kicks in the preseason. Cotchery has been hurt. I doubt they will let him near returns. I'd expect the progression to be Wilson, then McKnight, then whoever else. I don't see what anybody has against WIlson back there. He looks fine. He's a rookie. If you never let him play you'll never get anything.

Oh, and MadMike, we know you are nuts, but Welker has had three of his best games of the year the past three weeks and has put up his 3 best yardage totals of the year without Moss. He hasn't fallen off the planet.

This. He's been a PR for the Jets plenty of times before, splitting the duties with Leon prior to Leonhard's arrival. Any time the Jets are worried about any ball security type issues based on field position or whatever, Cotchery will be the guy in there. He's sure handed and the guy isn't going to fumble. But just like with Leonhard and probably even moreso now, if the Jets feel like they're in a comfortable situation, Wilson will get his chances back there as well. If their confident enough in him, McKnight could be a possibility and also let's not forget Lowery has been used by the Jets as a returner in the past as well. There are more than enough options that it's really not going to be a major concern.

Cotchery fielded punts last year after Leonhard broke his hand/finger and wore the club on his hand.

Turner did not hurt him... lol

Stop trying to blame the poor kid... who by the way is the 4th best WR on the team.

click on the link I posted Bruce-it's only 10 minutes or so-Rex said it was from contact with Turner. I've never seen Rex like the way he was this afternoon in that PC-he was down and he was shaken. He was also pissed and I think he wants to take it out on New England. He seems tired of being the nice guy and saying nice things about all the Pats players and Belichick-he's done-he wants to play that game today and wants his pound of flesh to come out of Brady's a$$.

That turtle head will evidently be bigger than your balls. Leonhard was a wasted chance at a big play. I realize I'm completely in the minority but they'll miss him A LOT more on Defense than on punt returns.

My penis is small, but my balls are like grapefruits :lol:

I forgot about Cotch. he's nice and slow and can catch the ball (just the kind of guy you hate..lol)

Once again, it's official, you are all nuts.

Leonhard is an excellent athlete. He's plenty fast for a S. His only issue is that he is a midget. The thing Welker, Leonhard and Woodhead have in common is not that they are "srcappy" or white it's that they are midgets.

I don't think we will see much Ihedigbo at S. We will see him more at LB. He is NOT a cover guy. Smith is bad in coverage, but he's better than dig. I'd hope to see some of Lowery back there. We should be playing more zone and he shouldn't be covering any speed guys. I wonder if Cole is back. He could help, in particular taking over for Lowery if Lowery plays more S.

I think we will see more McKnight on specials and he'll be active and possibly return punts. Smith? Holmes? Cromartie? Cromartie has never returned punts to my knowledge. He returned kicks in the preseason. Cotchery has been hurt. I doubt they will let him near returns. I'd expect the progression to be Wilson, then McKnight, then whoever else. I don't see what anybody has against WIlson back there. He looks fine. He's a rookie. If you never let him play you'll never get anything.

Oh, and MadMike, we know you are nuts, but Welker has had three of his best games of the year the past three weeks and has put up his 3 best yardage totals of the year without Moss. He hasn't fallen off the planet.

good post 2-7. Lowery was also mentioned in today's PC as a possible back there at safety. I don't know but this might just be a blessing in disguise. JL IS a fidget (Little Rascals reference there) and Crumpler, Hernandez and Gronkowski are big dudes and an obvious mismatch for Leonhard. Maybe having the bigger guys back there will be better for us anyway this week. Oh yea and on edit: Marquise Cole WILL be back this week.

Why did the NY Jets draft Joe McKnight if he can't catch punts?

Give him the damn ball.

Well, tbh there's where I draw the line, no way I want even see that ****er monday night. But with that said I agree but just not for popping his NFL cherry on MNF in New England.

But I'm with you after that though

The argument against Leonhard returning punts is this... THERE IS NONE, because the people that I have frequently debated this with OPENLY REFUSE to talk about statistics. When I bring them up, they flat out refuse to talk about it and instead say they want a better play maker. The fact is that Jim is a better punt returner than Leon Washington ever was. Would I want him on kickoff returns? No way, but there aren't many better at punt returns. I think maybe there's a mistaken tendency to view them in the same light when they are totally different!

The argument against Leonhard returning punts is this... THERE IS NONE, because the people that I have frequently debated this with OPENLY REFUSE to talk about statistics. When I bring them up, they flat out refuse to talk about it and instead say they want a better play maker. The fact is that Jim is a better punt returner than Leon Washington ever was. Would I want him on kickoff returns? No way, but there aren't many better at punt returns. I think maybe there's a mistaken tendency to view them in the same light when they are totally different!

I'm pretty sure the argument against Leonhard returning punts is his broken leg. Maybe that's just me.

Cotchery fielded punts last year after Leonhard broke his hand/finger and wore the club on his hand.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Point still remains that he'll be the Jets "sure handed guy" as a PR and if they're willing to risk and trying to break one off, you'll see any one of Wilson, McKnight or countless others. The Jets will be just fine.

not for nuthin' but I'm with Hess Station-who frigging CARES about Leonhard's punt returning abilities or lack there of. This is about losing the QB of the secondary-THAT'S where the big loss is. You know all week I've been reading about how smart Eric Smith is, well he gets his shot to prove it this Monday night

Well, tbh there's where I draw the line, no way I want even see that ****er monday night. But with that said I agree but just not for popping his NFL cherry on MNF in New England.

But I'm with you after that though

I'm not so sure about not even wanting to see him. For starters, the guy has proven himself to be a damn good special teams player these past few weeks, so that alone should get him on the field.

But beyond that, I would be absolutely THRILLED to see McKnight on the field getting carries at RB. Because that would mean the Jets were winning in a blowout and just winding down the clock late in the 4th quarter. :D

Archived