Jim Leonhard Injured in Practice, Update: OUT Rest of Season

SMC

Get lost...

Jets are also loaded at WR and RB but we don't see that helping our offense much now do we?

DB depth without Leonhard depth:

Revis

Cromartie

Coleman

Pool

Smith

Lowery

Ihedigbo

Wilson

There's a 2010 first rounder as the least productive guy there and he's 8th on the list. You can piece a good starting secondary with that, and there's still alot of things that those guys can possibly do as athletes (Wilson, Lowery, Pool especially).

Also, again, QB >>>>> WR in passing game importance.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a guy on twitter the other day, he is in the UFL. He sent out a message saying he worked out with the Jets, this was mid-week. And that they wanted to sign him. But to get out of his UFL contract there was a $150,000 fee from the UFL. I would think this would help his chances of having the Jets make a move on him...(assuming what he was saying is true).

There was a guy on twitter the other day, he is in the UFL. He sent out a message saying he worked out with the Jets, this was mid-week. And that they wanted to sign him. But to get out of his UFL contract there was a $150,000 fee from the UFL. I would think this would help his chances of having the Jets make a move on him...(assuming what he was saying is true).

Sounds like he was working you for an invite.

I for one, am ecstatic! Sorry youre hurt, but SEE YA!!! This loser cant return punts worth a damn. This overrated pip-squeak cant cover ANYBODY!!! I keep hearing about how he's the QB of the defense. Well its time to get another QB. I hear this garbage about how he is the brains of the defense, yet every time I look , there goes some no-name player shredding the middle of our secondary ( where HE plays ) and looking like world beaters. Then I have to hear, "We had a couple of "BlOWN COVERAGES"! WTF!! Whose the QB? This is a blessing, because Tom Brady WILL UNDOUBTEDLY throw the ball in the middle of the field ALL DAY LONG!! We couldnt afford to hide this JAG anymore. (A). We have two ALL-Pro CB's( nobody throws at them ) (B). Teams cant run the ball against us, ©. Rex 's packages can un-nerve ANY QB, so whats left? You guessed it....The Middle!!! Where weve been getting gashed ALL YEAR! We dont need a rocket scientist to f :pats: ix this. We need someone who can COVER!! We dont need someone to be KING OF THE FAIR-CATCH, we need someone that can bring the opportunity for us to get a PUNT RETURN once in a while!!! This loser is gone and Good Riddance "SKIPPY" !!!

Wow. really can't believe some people are downplaying this loss. More Eric Smith = More pain for both defenseless WR's and Jet fans.

You guys are excited now that ihedigbo gets his chance? You ******* serious? He's a good special teams player but the more he's on the sideline the better.

Leonhard was our best safety, even if he was liable to get bullied by bigger WR's he's a smart, solid player who does his job. Brady is going to tear us apart.

If the Cards cut Rhodes today, Rex still wouldn't take him back. Guy is a cancerous lesion who makes 6 relatively worthless picks a year. He's Erik McMillan.

We got to the AFC Championship game with a cancerous lesion and had an outrageously good pass defense. He probably wouldn''t take him back but he would instantly start over Pool or Smith if we were judging by talent.

We got to the AFC Championship game with a cancerous lesion and had an outrageously good pass defense. He probably wouldn''t take him back but he would instantly start over Pool or Smith if we were judging by talent.

Oh, hell yeah, Kerry has always been talented, but it seems like Rex hated his style of play from Day One here and the relationship only got worse to the point that he dumped the guy without having a real viable replacement for him. That's true hatred.

maybe next week they start looking at guys VJ-the injury happened 0n the last day of practice for the week

I understand that but we dont play until Monday night. Id like to see whoever they sign on the sidelines or in a booth for Mondays game. Learn the system especially in a big game.

I understand that but we dont play until Monday night. Id like to see whoever they sign on the sidelines or in a booth for Mondays game. Learn the system especially in a big game.

as Max mentioned on the previous page they were about to sign a CFL CB the other day and he was complaining on Twitter that if there wasn't a $150,000 fee he would already be a Jet. This was before the Leonhard injury. Now I heard they dropped that conversion price down to like 25 grand so I expect the guy to be back next week.

Ken Hamlin worth at least a look.

Probably. It's not like there's a pool of insta-starters out there that no one's signed for some unknown reason. It should be noted, though, he wasn't even starting when Ed Reed was out.

Would also be interesting in that Baltimore only released Pryce to make room for Hamlin. Then we sign Pryce. Now they release Hamlin to make room for a FB and we may very well sign him.

Other thing to note is Baltimore's defensive style hasn't exactly done a 180-degree change since Rex left. It's not like he was in Baltimore running Tampa-2 as their base defense.

Bringing him in, for a look-see at the very least, seems like a no-brainer.

Jets safety Jim Leonhard placed on injured reserve with fractured tibia

Saturday, December 04, 2010, 9:33 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

The Jets planned to wait until after Jim Leonhard had surgery on his fractured right tibia to determine his outlook for the season.

This morning, the team officially placed the safety on injured reserve, ending his season.

After sustaining the injury in practice yesterday, Leonhard had what the Jets said was a successful procedure to insert a rod through his tibia and stabilize the bone. He is expected to make a full recovery, the team added. He did not have a compound fracture, and his ankle and knee were unharmed.

Leonhard, the primary signal caller in the secondary and the team's punt returner, is expected to be discharged from Morristown Memorial Hospital tomorrow or Monday. No corresponding transaction has yet been made.

Eric Smith and Brodney Pool will be the starting safeties this week at New England, but defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said Dwight Lowery, James Ihedigbo and Kyle Wilson are expected to have larger roles as well. Jerricho Cotchery is expected to be the primary punt returner, with Antonio Cromartie or Santonio Holmes also used when the Jets use two deep returners.

Leonhard's loss is a significant one for the team, and coach Rex Ryan was understandably shaken when he announced the injury yesterday after practice.

"Emotionally, it was a letdown," the coach said. "I thought we were having our best practice of the year up until that point. Obviously, it was a huge blow to our football team, but this is a tough group and we know that we have carried ourselves this far because of our mental toughness. This is just another challenge for us."

Probably. It's not like there's a pool of insta-starters out there that no one's signed for some unknown reason. It should be noted, though, he wasn't even starting when Ed Reed was out.

Would also be interesting in that Baltimore only released Pryce to make room for Hamlin. Then we sign Pryce. Now they release Hamlin to make room for a FB and we may very well sign him.

Other thing to note is Baltimore's defensive style hasn't exactly done a 180-degree change since Rex left. It's not like he was in Baltimore running Tampa-2 as their base defense.

Bringing him in, for a look-see at the very least, seems like a no-brainer.

Absolutely, he's only 30 and 2 years removed from a Pro Bowl. Definitely at least take a look, I'm wondering what the issue is, he's a damn good player...did he get hurt and is having a hard time bouncing back. Its like he played his best season and then kind of disappeared.

Jim Leonhard is a valuable member of the Jets, but...

Let's take a deep breath here. The Steelers win without Troy Polamalu, the Ravens win without Ed Reed, the Colts win without Bob Sanders all the time - the Jets can win without Jim Leonhard.

Jets were going to be in nickel and dime most of the game against the Pats, anyway. Leonhard wasn't the safety they would've taken off the field, but now he is. That's about the extent of it for this week.

Jerricho Cotchery is a reliable punt returner, and Joe McKnight could potentially be an explosive returner - or, an upgrade at the position.

Sucks to lose a good starter, but this should be far from a devastating blow.

Wow. really can't believe some people are downplaying this loss. More Eric Smith = More pain for both defenseless WR's and Jet fans.

You guys are excited now that ihedigbo gets his chance? You ******* serious? He's a good special teams player but the more he's on the sideline the better.

Leonhard was our best safety, even if he was liable to get bullied by bigger WR's he's a smart, solid player who does his job. Brady is going to tear us apart.

Your post is right on the freakin money. This injury hurts.

Jim Leonhard is a valuable member of the Jets, but...

Let's take a deep breath here. The Steelers win without Troy Polamalu, the Ravens win without Ed Reed, the Colts win without Bob Sanders all the time - the Jets can win without Jim Leonhard.

Jets were going to be in nickel and dime most of the game against the Pats, anyway. Leonhard wasn't the safety they would've taken off the field, but now he is. That's about the extent of it for this week.

Jerricho Cotchery is a reliable punt returner, and Joe McKnight could potentially be an explosive returner - or, an upgrade at the position.

Sucks to lose a good starter, but this should be far from a devastating blow.

All true. But it isn't merely how good the starter is. It's also how good the guy replacing him is. The one thing is that, bad as Eric Smith is in coverage, he's not exactly replacing a TE-blanket in Leonhard.

I will say that now would be a good time for Pool to show a little bit of what Thurman was referring to when he predicted Pool would prove to be the biggest steal of the offseason.

The injury hurts, but if the Jets can't overcome it like they have for Jenkins, Revis, and Pace then Pettine & Rex aren't as good defensive coaches as we think they are.

This is a damn good team and should be able to thrive even when losing a valuable starter.

Also, this is 100% Rex's fault.

Why is he running a practice this late in the year where players are putting themselves at risk of serious injury?

According to reports, both Turner and Leonhard were leaping for a sideline ball and hit the ground. What, players are supposed to make Practice highlight shows? Rex's job is for the team to be ready for gametime, and that includes all of them being as healthy as they can be.

Why is he running a practice this late in the year where players are putting themselves at risk of serious injury?

According to reports, both Turner and Leonhard were leaping for a sideline ball and hit the ground. What, players are supposed to make Practice highlight shows? Rex's job is for the team to be ready for gametime, and that includes all of them being as healthy as they can be.

Rex got hammered for giving the team too much time off. Now he gets hammered for practicing too hard. IMO, the team needs the physical practices on such a long layoff. No-pads practices for a week and a half before the biggest game of the season in cold weather aren't going to cut it. We've been starting out slow as it is.

They shouldn't be running or jumping at practice?

They shouldn't be running or jumping at practice?

Who said anything about running?

Leonhard and Turner both jumped for a ball on the sideline, collided, and crashed to the ground. Turner got up and Leonhard didn't.

Rex got hammered for giving the team too much time off. Now he gets hammered for practicing too hard. IMO, the team needs the physical practices on such a long layoff. No-pads practices for a week and a half before the biggest game of the season in cold weather aren't going to cut it. We've been starting out slow as it is.

I didn't hammer him for giving the team too much time off, so I don't give a crap if someone else criticized him for it.

This is not about being in pads or not. Be in pads, run a practice. But player safety should be a 100% concern. Sundays >>>>>>>>>>>>>> practice.

This isn't the first time players have collided in a Rex practice, just the first time someone has been put on IR because of it.

Practice all they want, but Rex has to police it to make sure the players are physically ready for game time.

Ok... so they just shouldn't be trying to make plays on a ball?

If it means avoiding IR? Yes, they should.

Who needs practice heroes?

That said, deep down I'm really pissed about this and am lashing out at Rex.

If it means avoiding IR? Yes, they should.

Who needs practice heroes?

That said, deep down I'm really pissed about this and am lashing out at Rex.

When you're annoyed at the Jets, try lashing out at Tannenbaum (whether or not he did anything wrong) instead.

Trust me on this one.

Archived