New York Jets vs New England Patriots: MNF 12/06/10

Maxman

Well Jets fans, it is game day. Tonight the Jets will take the field in Foxboro to try and complete the season sweep of the New England Patriots *.

For a game that many are calling the biggest regular season Jets game in their history, let's turn to Broadway Joe to break down the action:

Joe Namath: Jets Offense vs. Patriot Defense

Joe Namath: Jets Defense vs. Patriot Offense

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about time I've been waiting all day for you to put the damn thing up slacker.

Win today and the Super Bowl is ours.

I had it up there at 12:00:01am. The only reason for the :01 was because I was being cautious. :D

I am not confident for this game.

I only see us winning IF we can rattle Brady. If we let his sit back there all day (like we have to many QBs this year) I sense a long night.

That's by far my biggest worry, it's time for Jason "I still don't like you" Taylor to become a Jet. He needs to get his dancing a$$ in the ******* backfield and knock the piss out of Brady.

I am pumped beyond belief. I can guarantee tomorrow will be one of the least productive days of my working career. Haven't gotten to see the Jets play in 11 days and waiting all day long for a huge Jets / Pats MNF matchup. It's going to be painful to get through, but when the work day is over it's going to be have been so worth it. Hell, this might even keep me up a while longer tonight just thinking about it. LET'S GO MOTHER ******* JETS!!!

This may be controversial, but it's game strategy from one of best ever, John Madden.

Madden used to say that in games he knew were going to be tough and close he would institute following strategy to instill intimidation to opposing Offense.

1st time the opponent had ball on Offense and theoretically backed up, their 35 yd or farther the Raiders defense would take a vicious Unsportsmanlike penalty on 1st or 2nd play. If run, he would have the Raiders grab RB and slam his head on turf. If pass, he would have defense pound the crap out of the QB way late. His belief was that you intimidate early, do it on part of field where you dont get hurt bad.

This may be controversial, but it's game strategy from one of best ever, John Madden.

Madden used to say that in games he knew were going to be tough and close he would institute following strategy to instill intimidation to opposing Offense.

1st time the opponent had ball on Offense and theoretically backed up, their 35 yd or farther the Raiders defense would take a vicious Unsportsmanlike penalty on 1st or 2nd play. If run, he would have the Raiders grab RB and slam his head on turf. If pass, he would have defense pound the crap out of the QB way late. His belief was that you intimidate early, do it on part of field where you dont get hurt bad.

This

Set the ******* tone let them know we are not here just to win, but to kick your a$$ to. You will know who you played tomorrow, the New York ******* Jets, come get some!!!!!!

Mark Sanchez knows he must eliminate mistakes if Jets hope to defeat Patriots in New England

BY Manish Mehta

Monday, December 6th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_jets_sanchez_reacts.jpg

In his last game in Foxborough, Mark Sanchez completes just eight passes for a 37.1 rating.

Mark Sanchez barely resembles the confused and overwhelmed version of himself that gift-wrapped a win for the Patriots in Foxborough last season. He's steered clear of the meltdowns that marked his first season as a pro.

Sanchez returns to Gillette Stadium to face the 9-2 Patriots Monday night for the first time since his four-interception, one-fumble disaster a year ago, which spawned the infamous color-coded system to help curtail his mistakes. In a game with sole possession of the AFC East and critical playoff seedings at stake, Sanchez has embraced the spotlight.

"You've got to show your best on the biggest occasions," Sanchez said. "It just seems like the guys who are remembered for a long time, the guys who have gone down in record books, the players who seem to be the best, play best when it counts."

The Jets can't afford a repeat of Sanchez's erratic play that doomed them in a 31-14 loss in Foxborough last year. The then-rookie signal-caller completed just eight passes en route to a 37.1 passer rating. Sanchez admittedly tried to make too many plays on his own that day. Bill Belichick's defense made him pay.

"That's the way you get beat," Sanchez said. "That's how they want me to play."

Sanchez will also have to improve upon his subpar performance on Thanksgiving against the lowly Bengals when he threw for 166 yards - his lowest output in seven weeks - and an ugly interception. After leading the Jets to three consecutive late-game victories, Sanchez looked pedestrian in the Jets' Week 12 win. He made poor decisions out of the pocket after thriving on the perimeter for much of the season.

"We can't afford that," Sanchez said. "There's no way I can go back to playing like that."

Rex Ryan, predictably, believes his quarterback will bounce back in prime time.

"When you look at Mark, even when he was in college, he played best in the biggest games," Ryan said. "This is as big as it gets in the regular season. ... This is a huge game in the regular season and he's always performed well in those types of games. I expect him to have a great effort."

Although Ryan cited the Jets' quick turnaround for the Cincinnati game as a potential reason for Sanchez's lackluster performance, the QB refused any excuses for his mediocre play.

"It doesn't matter," Sanchez said. "The good ones - the great ones - they don't let it affect them."

Sanchez should be emboldened by his Week 2 performance in the Jets' 28-14 win over the Patriots, which was perhaps his best game of the season. He had three touchdown passes and completed a season-high 70% of his passes with a season-high 124.3 passer rating.

"I'm still learning," Sanchez said. "I still have a long way to go, but I'm glad that I identified a lot of ... the problems with my play. Now it's time to get better."

On paper, Sanchez should be able to exploit New England's league-worst pass defense (288.5 ypg). He'll likely have to do that for the Jets to win their fifth in a row.

Sanchez says he's ready to lead. His teammates say he's a difference maker, not a game manager.

"It's the best stage in the world: Monday night," Sanchez said. "Everybody's watching."

HELLO AGAIN

The Jets signed veteran receiver Laveranues Coles to his fourth stint with the team Sunday. The Jets had an open roster spot after safety Jim Leonhard was placed on injured reserve Saturday with a broken shin bone.

Rex Ryan: We’re a Super Bowl team because of Mark Sanchez

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 6, 2010, 8:44 AM EST

Jets coach Rex Ryan is full of nothing but modesty about himself leading into tonight’s matchup with the Patriots, declaring every chance he gets that the man across the field from him tonight, Bill Belichick, is a better coach than him. But Ryan doesn’t hesitate to brag when it comes to his players.

And in an interview with ESPN’s Mike Tirico, Ryan made a particularly bold statement about his quarterback, Mark Sanchez.

“My guy’s going to have some rings on his finger too, I believe,” Ryan said of comparisons between his quarterback and Tom Brady.

And Ryan said that Sanchez isn’t just a young player along for the ride on a talented team.

“The reason we’re a Super Bowl team is because we have him playing quarterback,” Sanchez said. “That’s how I look at it.”

Ryan said he believes the Jets are simply a better, more talented team than the Patriots.

“If you say the best coach will win, then Belichick will beat us,” Ryan said. “But if you look at the best team, that’s what I’m banking on. I think I have the best team.”

Asked about the Patriots’ mindset heading into tonight’s game, Ryan said, “I think they’re concerned. They should be concerned.”

Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan poised to become next Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in QB-coach defined NFL

Gary Myers

Monday, December 6th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_jets_coach_ryan_sanchez_hug.jpg

Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez don't need to win three Super Bowls to prove they're closing the gap on Tom Brady an Bill Belichick (below). They just need the Jets to win Monday night.

Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are the current gold standard of NFL coach and quarterback combinations. They are the Bill Walsh and Joe Montana of this era.

The NFL is a coach and quarterback league and it's only because Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez are making strides on closing the gap on Belichick and Brady - not yet in rings, of course, but in their ability to win big games - that the Jets go into Monday night's crucial AFC East first-place showdown with the Patriots tied with 9-2 records.

New England owned the last decade with three Super Bowl titles and an undefeated regular season in 2007 that fell 35 seconds short of being the Pats' fourth title in seven years.

The Jets desperately need Ryan and Sanchez to be their Belichick and Brady this decade. In fact, their foundation is based on that premise.

This game Monday night in Foxborough is so big it could determine whether the Jets get to Super Bowl XLV in two months in Dallas. It could turn out to be the difference between the AFC's No. 1 seed and No. 5 seed, which means the difference between taking the short road by getting a first-round bye and staying at home for the playoffs or taking the long road with a game away from home in the wild-card round followed by two more road playoff games.

It's far-fetched to think Ryan and Sanchez will ever win the three Super Bowls that Belichick and Brady have won together. It's a given that Jets fans, without a championship for nearly 42 years, will settle for one.

But to prove the gap is really closing on Belichick and Brady in the short term, Ryan and Sanchez don't have to win three championships.

They just have to win Monday night in what will be an electric atmosphere. Brady has won 25 consecutive regular-season starts at Gillette Stadium (the Jets were the last team to beat him, in 2006). The Jets have won eight straight regular-season games on the road - 10 out of 11 including the playoffs.

Ryan and Sanchez are 2-1 against Brady and Belichick. But those two victories each came at home in the second week of the season. In the rematch in Foxborough last year, Sanchez threw four interceptions and lost a fumble in a 31-14 blowout loss.

Brady and Belichick set the blueprint for how to get it done. Continuity and longevity. "They kind of set the standard for their own team and their own franchise," Sanchez said. "But that's the way Rex talks about us being together for 10 years. The day I was drafted he said that."

Can it happen?

"That's going to take him coaching really well, that's going to take me playing really well and neither of us getting the other one run out of here," Sanchez said. "They set the standard for their organization and we're doing it for ours. We have a long way to go. They've been pretty good together for a long time. We're just starting."

Belichick didn't have much success in his first head coaching job in Cleveland, but he learned from the experience. He was just 37-45 with one playoff season in his five years with the Browns.

But if we compare where Ryan and Sanchez are 11 games into their second season together to where Belichick and Brady were at the same point of their partnership, it's not even close. Advantage: Jets. Of course, Belichick and Brady finished off their second season with their first Super Bowl championship.

In their rookie season together in 2009, Ryan and Sanchez took the Jets to the AFC title game. Sanchez was 8-7 in his regular season starts and 2-1 in the playoffs. Ryan won 11 games as a rookie head coach. In his rookie year in New England in 2000, Brady threw only three passes. And Belichick was only 5-11.

New England began the 2001 season losing its first two games. There were even rumors that Belichick's job security was shrinking. But toward the end of that second game, which came against the Jets, Mo Lewis hit Drew Bledsoe and Bledsoe suffered a serious chest injury. He was replaced by Brady, until then a completely unknown sixth-round draft pick from Michigan.

There had been reports that summer that Brady was outplaying Bledsoe in training camp and that Belichick had even considered opening the season with Brady. But Brady didn't get his first start until the third game of the season, after Bledsoe was injured.

At this point in 2001, New England was 6-5. The Jets are 9-2.

But the Patriots got hot and finished the season with an 11-5 record to win the AFC East and then beat Oakland and Pittsburgh in the AFC playoffs and St. Louis in the Super Bowl.

Now the question is whether Ryan and Sanchez can finish off this season like Belichick and Brady did in 2001. Teams that change coaches and quarterbacks like most people change their socks can never win. The Jets have made long-term commitments to Ryan and Sanchez.

"To share the success that they've had, that would be great. I would sign up for it. I know Mark would sign up for it," Ryan said. "We are going to be ourselves, though. We could never duplicate them and try to be them. That is not who we are. But I'd love to have that kind of success that Belichick and Brady have had."

This is the game that could determine how far Ryan and Sanchez go this season. And while Ryan always says that in these games the Patriots have the edge at coach and quarterback, this is the time for the Jets to make up some ground

Jets need to rattle, pressure, hurry and hit Patriots QB Tom Brady

Published: Monday, December 06, 2010, 5:00 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

9100418-large.jpg

New York Jets linebacker Jason Taylor (99) sacks New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady the first time the teams met this season.

Early last week, Trevor Pryce expressed genuine dread. Looming was film study of Tom Brady, and his perfect passer rating on Thanksgiving Day.

The Jets’ veteran pass rusher has beaten Brady-led Patriots teams five times in his career. He was part of the Ravens’ postseason hammering of New England this past January. And yet, Pryce was certain last week’s film from Detroit, where Brady misfired just six times, would “scare you half to death.”

“He’s not chasing wins,” Pryce said. “I would guess he’s not even chasing Super Bowl championships. He’s chasing perfection.”

Monday night, the Jets will aim to chase Brady, literally. When the two 9-2 division rivals go head to head in Foxborough, Mass., defending against the league’s highest-scoring offense hinges on getting after its ringleader.

It’s not a new concept — but each time the Jets face Brady, it requires new execution. The Jets have to be on guard of opponents having a beat on their scheme, in the second year under coach Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, while staying true to the tactics they do best.

That means mixing fronts and coverages, and making Brady guess if pressure is real or simulated. Sacks are one measuring stick of getting after the quarterback, but not the only one. In fact, in the Jets’ past three meetings with the Patriots, they have held Brady to a 73.8 passer rating — far below that perfect 158.3 — while sacking him only three times.

“To us, it’s not a sack game,” outside linebackers coach Jeff Weeks said. “Because once Tom Brady sees pressure, he’s going to get rid of it fast.”

Brady has been sacked only 15 times this season, the league’s third-lowest sack total. The mission is simple: If you can’t sack Brady, hit him. If you can’t hit him, hurry him. There’s no better case than the Jets’ 2009 home victory against New England, when they hit or hurried Brady 23 times without recording a sack.

Don’t let him be a “deer on the lawn,” the Jets coaches tell their players, meaning don’t let him stand in the turf like lawn furniture. Pettine demands that his unit never has a game that looks like “pass skel,” a seven-on-seven drill in which there are no linemen and the quarterback can sit back to pass.

Brady’s passer rating not surprisingly dips when the defense is getting after him. His mark for the season is 105.8, but according to ProFootballFocus.com, it’s 85.7 when he’s under pressure and 66.7 when he’s blitzed. The idea is to force him to throw before routes can develop, or to rush him into poor decisions — although his streak of 199 pass attempts without an interception speaks for itself.

Defensive end Shaun Ellis said the Jets try to get to the quarterback within three seconds after the ball is snapped. But often that’s not fast enough.

“When teams play us, there’s a certain expectation of pressure, so the quarterback’s clock in his head against us is always a little sped up,” Pettine said. “They’re much quicker to get rid of the ball, or look to run, than maybe against some other teams.”

Sometimes, a three-man pressure works best, Weeks said, because the quarterback may think he has more time and hold onto the ball longer. Jason Taylor’s strip-sack of Brady in Week 2, which sealed the Jets’ victory, came on a three-man pressure when Taylor sprung free with a spin move off left tackle Matt Light.

The Jets frequently called on simulated pressure in the second half of that game, often showing blitz but sending just three or four rushers. Disguising which players are blitzing or dropping into coverage is a Jets hallmark. As Pettine also likes to say, “Don’t let them read your mail.”

The expectation of Jets pressure often means opponents use max protection, keeping extra players in to block and sending only two or three players out on routes, particularly in third-and-long situations. The Jets’ adjustment is to cool the pressure and focus on clogging the opponent in coverage, with enough men to double receivers and still have extra help.

Pettine admitted the Jets did back off their pressure by design earlier this year, because of the new pieces in the secondary and All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis hobbled by a hamstring injury.

“We stayed away from some of the pressure stuff just because of the situation with our corners,” Pettine said. “(Antonio) Cromartie being new and really not having settled in and playing our techniques, and obviously Revis being out. That kind of lent itself to maybe a little bit less.”

But in recent weeks, they have been able to ramp it up a bit more. The Bengals win is an example, when the Jets sacked Carson Palmer three times and hassled him into a paltry quarterback rating of 41.0.

With starting safety Jim Leonhard placed on injured reserve this weekend with a broken tibia, Pettine said they might take a few things out on which there were a lot of moving parts, but that his loss wouldn’t affect their mentality on pressuring.

Much has been made of the Jets’ effectiveness in getting to the quarterback this year. Pettine said it can always improve, and that his emphasis to the front seven has been to win their one-on-one battles.

The Jets have 24 sacks in 11 games this season, three more than they had at the same point last year. Pryce, who was part of the Ravens’ 60-sack season in 2006, believes that opportunities for sacks have decreased as NFL offenses have morphed. In his estimation, in some games there might only five true opportunities to get a sack.

Pryce suggests another stat to measure how a defense is affecting the quarterback, which the Jets ace: completion percentage. Opposing quarterbacks are completing just 50.3 percent of their passes against the Jets, the lowest in the league. Opponents also have a passer rating of just 75.8 against the Jets this season, fourth-lowest in the league.

Disrupting Brady tonight meant consulting precedent: the Jets’ three previous games against the Patriots, the 33-14 playoff victory by a similar Baltimore defense 11 months ago, the 2007 Ravens game when Ryan’s defense almost ended New England’s perfect season. Ryan also admitted he sought input from his twin, Rob, whose Browns defense stymied New England in Week 9.

Their challenge is to take Brady from his perfect Thanksgiving rating, to far from perfect, just 11 days later.

“Any time you play them, you have to beat him,” Ellis said. “You have to get him to make mistakes. The teams that do that, they end up winning. The teams that don’t, they lose.”

Archived