New York Jets vs New England Patriots: MNF 12/06/10

Maxman

Thanks for the Jets News in here Jimmy, nice touch!

Anything to help me kill time today is greatly appreciated. Came in to work and banged out 2 hours of real work before I got distracted about 30 minutes ago. Still working but just chugging along. I am leaving the office at 3 this afternoon (hopefully) so I have 5.5 hours to go... and 11 hours until kickoff...

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything to help me kill time today is greatly appreciated. Came in to work and banged out 2 hours of real work before I got distracted about 30 minutes ago. Still working but just chugging along. I am leaving the office at 3 this afternoon (hopefully) so I have 5.5 hours to go... and 11 hours until kickoff...

My relief is coming in early so I can get ther **** outta here -- I am pumped beyond belief --

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

yea I'm frigging juiced-I'm even putting the pictures in with articles-oh yea Greenie just put a Tom Brady jersey OVER his #12 Joe Namath jersey on the set (given to him by Bob Kraft) Mike Greenberg is ****OFFICIALLY**** dead to all of Jet Nation

OH NO HE DIDN'T ---- SHAME ON HIM

Sounds kind of like me, except for the fact that I banged out 0 minutes of real work before I got distracted.

Jets vs. Patriots: Finally, it's time to play

Updated: December 6, 2010 12:01 AM

By RODERICK BOONE

image.jpg

Antonio Cromartie of the Jets tackles Patriots' Julian Edelman at The New Meadowlands Stadium. (Sept. 19, 2010)

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - Dustin Keller is just as antsy as everyone else to finally get this thing under way.

"We definitely want to play the game right now," the Jets tight end said, "especially with a Thursday game last week all the way to a Monday game. You couldn't have much bigger of a break without having a bye week. Both teams are ready to play. But this game just can't come soon enough."

The countdown has dwindled to mere hours. Just after 8:30 Monday night, following an 11-day buildup that at times felt as if it were about to reach Super Bowl proportions, the Jets (9-2) and Patriots (9-2) will meet at Gillette Stadium for supremacy in the AFC East.

"You live to play in these type of situations," Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards said, "and along with that comes responsibility of staying focused about what goes on in between those hashes as opposed to everything that surrounds them."

With a win, the Jets essentially would take a two-game lead because they would have swept the season series. It also would make them 4-0 in the division.

"We all know what this game means. It's huge," linebacker Bart Scott said. "New England has been on top of this division for a long time. They are not going to go away quietly."

Particularly at home, where the Patriots are a league-best 29-5 since 2002, though the Jets beat them here in 2008. New England also has won 16 of 17 December home games, the only loss to the Jets on Dec. 22, 2002.

Perhaps that's why Edwards isn't buying into hype about Tom Brady's streak of 25 regular-season wins at home.

"Twenty-five straight on the road or at home is hard,'' Edwards said. "That's a pretty tremendous thing that he has going on there. But we can't play into that and we have to go in there with the mind-set that we can beat this team. We've beat them once [this season] and we feel confident we can do it again."

So what better stage to prove that and make a statement than on "Monday Night Football"?

"I feel like the two of us are playing the best ball right now," Keller said. "In the NFC, you have some pretty good teams there, but it's hard to compare because you don't play them very often. I feel like we are ahead of everybody else, but I feel like our best game against their best game, I feel like we can win that."

After days of chatter, it's time to see if that's the case.

"We know who New England is,'' Rex Ryan said. "I know they say we are a great team and I see the sarcasm. Well, they are going to find out if we are a great team or not, I can tell you that much.

"We're coming. We'll show up and we'll see what happens."

Sounds kind of like me, except for the fact that I banged out 0 minutes of real work before I got distracted.

Got back on track for another 30 minutes but then I got stuck on hold with a vendor so now I am distracted AND on hold for the last 7 minutes. 3 PM and 8:30 PM can't come quick enough.

yea I'm frigging juiced-I'm even putting the pictures in with articles-oh yea Greenie just put a Tom Brady jersey OVER his #12 Joe Namath jersey on the set (given to him by Bob Kraft) Mike Greenberg is ****OFFICIALLY**** dead to all of Jet Nation

http://yfrog.com/bhzcs01j

He does that stuff in jest.

Regardless it is unacceptible behavior for a Jets fan.

PFF Primer: Jets at Patriots

December 6th, 2010 | Author: Nathan Jahnke

In Week 2 the Jets hosted the Patriots and gave them one of their two losses in a 28-14 victory. The Jets’ offensive firepower came from TE Dustin Keller (+3.6), who had his best game of the season, catching seven of nine passes for 115 yards and a touchdown.

On defense, the Jets went up against QB Tom Brady (+0.1), who did not play his A game. The Jets’ strength on defense came from their defensive ends. Shaun Ellis (+2.6) came up with a good pass rush — six pressures and a hit. On the other end, Mike Devito (+1.8) played strong run defense and came up with four stops.

The Patriots need to…

Protect Tom Brady

On offense, the Patriots have had the same problem as a lot of NFL teams — pass blocking. Four of their five starting linemen have negative pass-block ratings. This has taken a toll on Brady’s (+29.7) performance, as Brady completes 21 percent more of his passes and makes 2 yards more per attempt when he is not pressured. This task should be easier than usual as the Jets’ only strong pass rush options are DE Shaun Ellis (+16.1) and DT Trevor Pryce (+8.5).

The Jets need to…

Get the ball to WR Santonio Holmes

Holmes (+3.8) has been hot these past four weeks. Over those games he has been thrown at 36 times for 22 completions, 360 yards and four touchdowns. What makes the performances even more impressive is that 152 of those yards have come after the catch and he hasn’t had a drop. He goes up against the Patriots, who are 26th in our pass coverage grades, so Holmes could have another big game and needs one if the Jets are to win.

Matchups

Patriots HB BenJarvus Green-Ellis vs. Jets ILB Bart Scott

The Patriots have continued to use Green-Ellis (-0.1) as their main running back even if we’ve seen Danny Woodhead (+8.5) perform better. In this game it might not matter because they go up against the Jets, who excel in stopping the run, with all of their starters having positive ratings in run D. They are led by Scott (+29.1), who has a +26.0 rating against the run — nearly ten points higher than any other ILB. It will be interesting to see if the Patriots can have any kind of success on the ground — in the first matchup, they carried it 20 times for 52 yards.

Jets LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson vs. Patriots RE Mike Wright

Wright (+10.7) is the only Patriots player really getting it done as a pass rusher, and if he is held out with injuries it could be a real concern. He has 18 pressures, one hit and four sacks on the year — impressive, considering his low number of snaps. However, he could often be up against Ferguson (+11.5), who is one of the best left tackles in the NFL — better against the run than the pass, but strong in both areas.

Notes

Patriots ILB Jerod Mayo (+1.0) has been thrown at 67 times, second most for all ILBs, and an explanation of his lofty tackle numbers. … Jets HB LaDainian Tomlinson (+0.9) has been thrown to 64 times, which is the second most for all HBs. … In the first meeting this year, Patriots CB Darius Butler played 60 snaps and had a -4.0 rating; he’s only played 96 snaps since. … The Jets will miss S Jim Leonhard’s leadership and every-snap impact, but he only graded 66th out of 84 qualifiers at his position. Replacement Eric Smith is 79th.

The Jets will miss S Jim Leonhard’s leadership and every-snap impact, but he only graded 66th out of 84 qualifiers at his position. Replacement Eric Smith is 79th.

Yikes. I knew the Jets safeties (particularly Smith) were bad, but I'm not sure even I thought they were that bad. All the more reason the D needs to get some serious pressure tonight.

Underdogs? Rex Ryan, Jets don't buy it

by Rich Cimini

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Tom Brady has won 25 straight regular-season home games, and the New England Patriots haven't been swept in a season series since 2000, when Brady was a clipboard-carrying rookie.

You think New York Jets coach Rex Ryan cares about that stuff? Not a chance.

In his speech to the team Sunday night, in a hotel outside Boston, the ever-confident Ryan delivered this emphatic message, according to some in the room: We're the better team, period. Now go out and prove it Monday night.

Ryan's theme was as subtle as a jackhammer. In Rex World, it's should win, not can win.

It's a good thing they're finally going to play this thing.

After 10 days of hype and big talk, the Jets and Patriots will play the game of the year at Gillette Stadium -- the 100th meeting between the two AFC East rivals. If the buildup lasted another day, they'd be marketing the game with Roman numerals.

But there's no denying the magnitude of the game. Both teams are 9-2, and the winner will have sole possession of first place in the division and the best record in the AFC. The outcome could mean the difference between the No. 1 and No. 5 seed in the playoffs, which is enormous.

In case you're wondering, this will be the first time since Dec. 9, 2001 that divisional foes tied for the best record are meeting in the 12th game. The last two teams were the San Francisco 49ers and St. Louis Rams, both 9-2.

"We've got a long way to go, but this would definitely be a step in the right direction," guard Brandon Moore said. "That's why this game is so important. All the things we talk about -- I hate to use the word 'championship' -- but to win the trophy, there are steps along the way: Win the division, No. 1 seed, home-field advantage ... That's what this game means."

Said linebacker Calvin Pace, "For us to go where we need to go, we need to go up there and get a win."

The game is rife with storylines:

The Patriots' dominance: Even though the Jets have won three of the last four meetings, including Week 2 at the New Meadowlands Stadium, they're still the second-class citizens in the division. The Jets haven't captured the division since 2002. The Patriots have captured six titles since then. If the Jets win this game, they'd be an overwhelming favorite to win it.

"I don't see anybody sweeping Brady twice in the same season in my lifetime," ESPN analyst Jon Gruden said.

Said Brady, "You can't expect to win the division and lose to the same team twice."

Brady's house: Not counting last season's wild-card loss to the Baltimore Ravens, he hasn't lost a regular-season home start since 2006, when he fell to the Eric Mangini-coached Jets. "Everyone can be beat," Pace said. "They lost in the playoffs. That wasn't a fluke game. Baltimore just took it to them. Nobody is unbeatable."

The Patriots' new-looking passing game: Brady has thrived without wide receiver Randy Moss, having gone 199 straight pass attempts without an interception. "He'll find divots in your armor and start stabbing away," nose tackle Sione Pouha said.

Strength vs. Strength: The Jets are ranked fourth in scoring defense, the Patriots first in scoring offense. The Jets have to replace heady safety Jim Leonhard, who broke his leg last Friday in practice. How big a loss is Leonhard? "Huge," linebacker Bryan Thomas said. "And put that in bold letters."

Mark Sanchez: He's 2-1 against the Patriots. In the two wins, he didn't throw an interception. In the loss, last Nov. 22 in Foxborough, he had four interceptions. So it's simple: He needs to avoid killer mistakes against Bill Belichick's soft, but opportunistic defense.

Danny Woodhead: The Patriots diminutive running back faces his old team for the first time since being released in Week 2. He left a nobody, now he's a cult hero in New England, looking for payback.

In every place except Ryan's team-meeting room, the Jets are the underdog. They get it, but they're not buying it.

"Brady ... Belichick ... at home ... the streak. What does that equal? Jets, underdog," tackle Damien Woody said. "That's fine. Do we believe it? No, we beat them once and we can beat them again."

Five things to watch

1. Patience, kid: That's what Mark Sanchez will need to beat a Bill Belichick-coached defense. Belichick plays a bend-but-don't-break scheme, designed to limit big plays. Sanchez can't force it downfield and must be willing to throw to his underneath options. If he gets antsy, as he did last week in a poor outing against the Cincinnati Bengals, Sanchez will turn it over. The Patriots give up a ton of yards, but they're opportunistic (15 interceptions).

2. Special K: TE Dustin Keller has been relatively quiet in recent weeks, but he torched the Patriots in Week 2. Against a Cover 2 scheme, a Patriots staple, Keller has the ability to find the soft spots. Plus, he likes Foxborough; he had a huge game there as a rookie in 2008. The Jets will need Keller over the middle because the Patriots' corners will try to get physical with WRs Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards, choking off their patented slant routes.

3. Communicate: The Jets' secondary, sans injured S Jim Leonhard, can't afford any blown coverages. This has been an issue. The Patriots will run "pick" routes and bunch formations, designed to create indecision in the secondary. The Jets must be able to react quickly. If they don't, they'll get exposed by Tom Brady, who thinks on his feet as well as any quarterback in the league.

4. Disrupt Brady: Whether it's real pressure (extra rushers) or simulated, the Jets need to make Brady hold the ball for an extra second or two. They've had some success against him with DB blitzes, but they lose an effective blitzer in Leonhard. It's time for Jason Taylor to deliver a signature game; the Jets signed him for moments like this.

5. What the Folk? You have to wonder about Nick Folk's confidence. He's missed five of his last 10 field goals, and he knows the Jets are lining up possible replacements. If he misses a PAT or a short field goal, he could be history. If the team's confidence in him is waning, it could affect its playcalling in plus territory or late in a close game.

I'm dying for another batch of Nick Mangold's Super Bowl chili http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/nick-mangolds-super-bowl-cbc-chorizo-bacon-chili/

but I'm afraid. The last time I made chili for a Jets game was the Mud Bowl in 1982-83-the AFC Championship Game against Miami. If I make it and we lose it'll be all my fault. What do you guys think-should I or shouldn't I?

I'll be wearing my Sanchez T-shirt and old worn Jets pajama pants with the holes in them. We are undefeated when I wear this. The two losses we have this year I did not wear the old pajama pants.

Reminds me in the great Monday Night Jet-Fins showdown in 200. We were getting clobbered and in the 4th Q I decided to put on my Jet T-Shirt I wore most of the 98 season for moral support and they cam back and won.

Archived