Its all Shotty's fault right?

KINGDIRK

I really don't know what game plans have to do with a QB that was missing everything by 2 feet last night..

The jets came in aggressive and ran hurry up offense, something most of the board wanted them to do, and sanchez faltered.. how that is schotty's fault I don't know..

I agree with Sanchez being blamed for being innacurate, but anyone who wanted Schitty to go shotgut & hurry up is an idiot.

If your offense is supposed to be better than their defense then you make them stop you before you adjust. The Jets never played that way this season and no, all of a sudden, Schitty is going to change it up facing the worse defense in the NFL?

They tried to run an offense in the brutal cold that they never have before. That's idiotic. The game plan was Schitty's fault without question.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex certainly approved it.. but i still don't know it was a bad strategy.. this is a team that is dreadful against the rush and Sanchez has been comign into his own particularly in the hurry up.. I liked it..

I didnt like it because of the opponent. Id rather try to beat the Pats 20-17 than immediately get into a shootout, which you are doing by giving the offense a chance to get back on the field quickly. I get why they tried it, I just dont think it was the right time or place to try it out. Certainly if rex had a better handle on the pulse of the team (which was scared) he would have pulled the plug on it before it began. Still if we are talking hindsight its a total strategy that backfired.

Coming out of halftime.... 24-3... Sanchez drove the Jets down the field, we got into the redzone and execution fell apart because of the play calling... Sanchez looked his best in the game to that point, then he got yanked for a ridiculous wildcat play and then I believe he threw the INT.

If we ever had a shot at bringing it to 24-10, and maybe taking some momentum, getting a 3 and out on D, then scoring again... it was then, and the opportunity faded as soon as Sanchez was put on the sideline.

The ONLY team we have beaten with the wildcat is Cincy, we killed them with it last year and we killed them this year too... NONE of the other teams we've played have been vulnerable to it.

Rex certainly approved it.. but i still don't know it was a bad strategy.. this is a team that is dreadful against the rush and Sanchez has been comign into his own particularly in the hurry up.. I liked it..

Hurry up by itself is not a bad strategy. Hurry up & shotgun is idiotic when it eliminates the bread-and-butter play action, designed roll outs, and easy sub of Greene.

Coming out of halftime.... 24-3... Sanchez drove the Jets down the field, we got into the redzone and execution fell apart because of the play calling... Sanchez looked his best in the game to that point, then he got yanked for a ridiculous wildcat play and then I believe he threw the INT.

If we ever had a shot at bringing it to 24-10, and maybe taking some momentum, getting a 3 and out on D, then scoring again... it was then, and the opportunity faded as soon as Sanchez was put on the sideline.

The ONLY team we have beaten with the wildcat is Cincy, we killed them with it last year and we killed them this year too... NONE of the other teams we've played have been vulnerable to it.

While I agree that Pistol formation needs to go...that drive ended with Sanchez stupidity and the play calling was fine. Brad fell short on the 3rd and long, then Sanchez threw the inside slant to Holmes for the 1st down on 4th. Then the play action, and Sanchez threw it right to Spikes. The worst throw of the year and his only redzone INT on the season.

Game over.

BB had a strict gameplan. Did you see how he kept rotating players in and out. That confused the D big time creating mismatches. That's how you prepare for a game.

******* Shotty! No evident thought was there that he made a specific gamplan for this D.

I didnt like it because of the opponent. Id rather try to beat the Pats 20-17 than immediately get into a shootout, which you are doing by giving the offense a chance to get back on the field quickly. I get why they tried it, I just dont think it was the right time or place to try it out. Certainly if rex had a better handle on the pulse of the team (which was scared) he would have pulled the plug on it before it began. Still if we are talking hindsight its a total strategy that backfired.

I have a fundamental problem with the strategy.

The Pats didn't change how they played in this game. They dared the Jets to beat them. The Jets, however, changed how they played offense to face the 32nd ranked defense. That doesn't make sense. Make the Pats adjust. Don't adjust before kickoff.

And, yes, everyone played and coached terrified. That was disconcerting. Rex screwed the pooch early and Weatherford sealed it. At 17-0 the game was over.

I don't think we had much of a chance of holding the Pats to 17 last night.. this pass defense just isn't good enough

I have a fundamental problem with the strategy.

The Pats didn't change how they played in this game. They dared the Jets to beat them. The Jets, however, changed how they played offense to face the 32nd ranked defense. That doesn't make sense. Make the Pats adjust. Don't adjust before kickoff.

And, yes, everyone played and coached terrified. That was disconcerting. Rex screwed the pooch early and Weatherford sealed it. At 17-0 the game was over.

We can't even exploit the 32nd ranked defense. Ridiculous.

We can't even exploit the 32nd ranked defense. Ridiculous.

It is ridiculous. And they made it much harder by changing the way they play offense.

Going into the game the Jets averaged about 25 ppg and had the 9th ranked offense facing the 31st ranked defense. Why should the Jets change the way they play? Makes no sense. It's the classic case of Schitty thinking he's being smarter then he actually is.

It is ridiculous. And they made it much harder by changing the way they play offense.

Going into the game the Jets averaged about 25 ppg and had the 9th ranked offense facing the 31st ranked defense. Why should the Jets change the way they play? Makes no sense. It's the classic case of Schitty thinking he's being smarter then he actually is.

A Drew Stanton led Lions offense did more against the Pats then we did with our star studded cast...somethings wrong here. lol.

I think you are way offbase, jets first drive was no huddle and we drove it to 35 where it stalled on some poor throws, No huddle keeps Bellie from subbing in and out his packages. Sanchez was awful 27 rating was too high IMO. Jet Defense was a joke, as was Rex's coaching. The pats defend the the rush much better than pass, if Sanchez cant exploit this pass Defense, team is in trouble. Versus 2 good defenses so far (ravens and packers) we have scored 9 total points. Bears and Steelers cant wait to play us.

Wait...Jason just said all the same sh*t that CTM and I have been saying...but his is a great post and you agree with it all?

What?

JIF Jason also mentioned what he felt sh*tty did wrong which IMO were huge mistakes.... One, starting the game out in the hurry up and two, not smashing the ball down their throats with Shonn Greene which would have helped the passing game in a big way. One of the big problems in this game early on was Field Position and the Pats took advantage of it. I have NO PROBLEM with the Hurry up at all but it should not have been used to start the game It should have been thrown in maybe on the second or third posession (maybe even later) not when the team (the pats) was pumped and fresh with the crowd going berserk to start the game.

JiF you think because I disagree with some of the things you say that I disagree with everything and thats not the case at all.

I don't think we had much of a chance of holding the Pats to 17 last night.. this pass defense just isn't good enough

I dont buy that and Im not a big believer in this defense either. I ran the stats since 2006 of the Jets against Brady and that was with worse personnel than we have now. The numbers are 59.8%, 240 YPG, 8 TDs 6 INTs and under 19 PPG on offense. This offense is nowhere near the level of some of the offenses they had in the past. The problem with our pass defense is not an every play problem. Most weeks they completely screw up the opposing QB, but are an awful third down defense mainly because the deep support stinks and the pass rush is non existent. Last night they could not cover anyone and I dont think anyone could even explain what was going on defensively. When you have Danny Woodhead running over your linebackers you have big issues on the night.

While I agree that Pistol formation needs to go...that drive ended with Sanchez stupidity and the play calling was fine. Brad fell short on the 3rd and long, then Sanchez threw the inside slant to Holmes for the 1st down on 4th. Then the play action, and Sanchez threw it right to Spikes. The worst throw of the year and his only redzone INT on the season.

Game over.

As soon as we got that first down the next call should have been to Shonn Greene, because thats what the Jets are, ramming the ball in the endzone rather than sending one guy out for a pass in the middle of the field and Sanchez throwing into what seemed like triple coverage. It was a bad pass by sanchez no doubt but a passing play should have never been called in that situation. A draw play or a dump to LT would have been just as good as a handoff to greene anything would have been better than what was called.

Thats a great point. When you believe you are the better team you are supposed to make the opposition play your game. Instead the Jets completely came out and played the Pats game. It was so weird. If that is the game you play why not take the ball at the start of the game and say "you cant stop our offense". I think what is lost on alot of people with the hurry up in this case is that there is a major mental thing that goes on with you team when you do that. When you spend 11 days changing your whole gameplan around for 1 team its a high risk high reward gamble. When it pays off the excitement level and confidence grows. When it flops its a killer. All you can think of is how we worked all that time for that to be the result. Now what? And it snowballed from there. At the very least on 4th and 7 you have to go for it rather than take the monster FG attempt. You have already decided to go all in. You cant pull your chips back now. Buts thats what they did and it sent the wrong message to the other team who just ran all over them.

Thats a great point. When you believe you are the better team you are supposed to make the opposition play your game. Instead the Jets completely came out and played the Pats game. It was so weird. If that is the game you play why not take the ball at the start of the game and say "you cant stop our offense". I think what is lost on alot of people with the hurry up in this case is that there is a major mental thing that goes on with you team when you do that. When you spend 11 days changing your whole gameplan around for 1 team its a high risk high reward gamble. When it pays off the excitement level and confidence grows. When it flops its a killer. All you can think of is how we worked all that time for that to be the result. Now what? And it snowballed from there. At the very least on 4th and 7 you have to go for it rather than take the monster FG attempt. You have already decided to go all in. You cant pull your chips back now. Buts thats what they did and it sent the wrong message to the other team who just ran all over them.

Excellent.

This was a complete debacle on every level. From the HC, coordinators, assistant coaches onto the players. Like you noted earlier, it was like they were terrified to play. And they coached that way as well.

BTW, I wish these damn beat writers would ask the right questions. This is the SECOND time in a big road game where Rex made the foolhardy decision to go for a long FG, the Kicker missed, and the Jets never got the momentum back. He did it in Indy in the AFCCG and he did it now.

Challenging on 3rd & 1 made no sense and kicking a FG there made no sense. I think the GB game was an offensive hiccup because of all the drops. Sanchez threw 2 INTs that were completely bogus.

This game & the Raven game, however, were lost by Rex & the coaching staff. In both games they went in with assinine offensive gameplans and it has led to 4 FGs in 2 games.

Those guys were just unprepared and way too nervous to be out there. Im still in shock over it. They went into Indianapolis in a far bigger game than this and looked great for 28 minutes. Here they looked good at the coin toss and it went downhill from there.

Agreed about the no-huddle gamble (it was a terrible idea from the beginning), but I'm more disturbed by the nervousness. I hate getting into amateur psychology, but the whole team looked wound-up and tentative at the same time, if that's possible. Sanchez in particular looked absolutely terrified, which raises a whole host of really distressing questions about him. You wonder if Rex built this game up too much. It looked like the team had invested so much emotional energy into their preparation that they folded the moment things didn't go the way they'd planned.

This game & the Raven game, however, were lost by Rex & the coaching staff. In both games they went in with assinine offensive gameplans and it has led to 4 FGs in 2 games.

It's bizarre in that there's no rhyme or reason to it. They didn't trust Sanchez to throw anything but checkdowns against the Ravens, but they trust him enough to run a no-huddle spread attack against the master of disguised coverages? To use a hacky term, the team has no identity on offense, and frankly that's on Rex, not Schottenheimer.

Agreed about the no-huddle gamble (it was a terrible idea from the beginning), but I'm more disturbed by the nervousness. I hate getting into amateur psychology, but the whole team looked wound-up and tentative at the same time, if that's possible. Sanchez in particular looked absolutely terrified, which raises a whole host of really distressing questions about him. You wonder if Rex built this game up too much. It looked like the team had invested so much emotional energy into their preparation that they folded the moment things didn't go the way they'd planned.

Agreed. I'm just like you in that I hate the talk of "body language" and all that nonsense but Sanchez just looked... hopeless. It's like all the heard about how big the game was and the second they went down early they got instantly deflated, Sanchez most of all.

Sanchez had the same look he did against the Ravens, the Ravens just are not a good enough offense to put big points on the board. Both are the two games the Jets put a ton into and both are the games where the offense looked all out of sorts. Being on the road also made it far worse here too. Im really hoping that this was really just a weather thing and the Jets were completely ill prepared for the elements. Thats about the only way I can explain in my head midgets carrying our "stud" linebackers for extra yards and why Sanchez looked like he was ready to head back to the locker room as soon as he started missing guys early. Its amazing how poor the Jets play off extra rest. Its a total change from what used to happen under Mangini where they would suck for weeks and then have a game of the year performance off a long layoff.

Sanchez had the same look he did against the Ravens, the Ravens just are not a good enough offense to put big points on the board. Both are the two games the Jets put a ton into and both are the games where the offense looked all out of sorts. Being on the road also made it far worse here too. Im really hoping that this was really just a weather thing and the Jets were completely ill prepared for the elements. Thats about the only way I can explain in my head midgets carrying our "stud" linebackers for extra yards and why Sanchez looked like he was ready to head back to the locker room as soon as he started missing guys early. Its amazing how poor the Jets play off extra rest. Its a total change from what used to happen under Mangini where they would suck for weeks and then have a game of the year performance off a long layoff.

[/quote

Maybe we are reading too much into this thing with Sanchez. All the other guys had the same look. db's shaking their heads. lb's walking with their heads down. The whole team had the look. The camera's are just on Sanchez so it seems like he has the problem. I'm not buying into this cold weather stuff either. They just had a bad game. They have had bad games since week 4. They will have another bad game this week. It's who they are this year. Undisciplined.

It seems like the bye may be something of a disadvantage for Rex because rather than using the extra time to design some intricate gameplan like Mangini, he get the players so emotionally fired up that when the opponent inevitably makes a play or two they get shellshocked. It's a particular problem for Sanchez because he seems to put a ton of pressure on himself to be perfect. If the coaches are relaxed, he's proven this year that he can bounce back from early struggles, but I think when they have extra time to pump up the team he crawls into his own head and plays scared.

The contrast with Mangini is interesting also because Mangini's problem was playing down to lesser competition; I think people thought bringing in a confident, blustery coach would solve that once and for all. But even if you throw out some of the games in which Sanchez has been a disaster it's still a major coaching issue.

I dont buy that and Im not a big believer in this defense either. I ran the stats since 2006 of the Jets against Brady and that was with worse personnel than we have now. The numbers are 59.8%, 240 YPG, 8 TDs 6 INTs and under 19 PPG on offense. This offense is nowhere near the level of some of the offenses they had in the past. The problem with our pass defense is not an every play problem. Most weeks they completely screw up the opposing QB, but are an awful third down defense mainly because the deep support stinks and the pass rush is non existent. Last night they could not cover anyone and I dont think anyone could even explain what was going on defensively. When you have Danny Woodhead running over your linebackers you have big issues on the night.

I really don't know what 2006, 07 or 08 has to do with this year.. But your stats are deflated by that shocker 6-3 game in the slop at NE in 2006..

And last year our pass defense was awesome, insanely better then what we are fielding this season.

Not to mention this year NE's passing offense has been a ton better then the 06 and 08 verisions and marginally better then 09.. (those TE's are awesome basically both top 5 and have made up for missing Moss)

So in 09 the Pats averaged 20ppg against us, 9 on road and 31 at home..

This year they have an improved passing offense going up against our passing defense which is a shell of what it was last year.. Why would you think we'd hold them to 17 when last year they hung 31 on us at home last season?

It's bizarre in that there's no rhyme or reason to it. They didn't trust Sanchez to throw anything but checkdowns against the Ravens, but they trust him enough to run a no-huddle spread attack against the master of disguised coverages? To use a hacky term, the team has no identity on offense, and frankly that's on Rex, not Schottenheimer.

Come on.. they are one of the worst pass defenses in football.. They are awful. belichick as the boogeyman should be put to rest now..

Sanchez got picked cause we we're down 24-3.. not cause belichick fooled him

i do agree that Sanchez looked nervous from the get go.. I think we've put the pussy on a pedastal here, so to speak .. F'ing NE hasn't won squat in 6 seasons.. Who gives a crap about them or they're faggy all world qb or thier terrible defense..

Come on.. they are one of the worst pass defenses in football.. They are awful. belichick as the boogeyman should be put to rest now..

i do agree that Sanchez looked nervous from the get go.. I think we've put the pussy on a pedastal here, so to speak .. F'ing NE hasn't won squat in 6 seasons.. Who gives a crap about them or they're faggy all world qb or thier terrible defense..

But their run defense is nothing special either, and our QB is young and inconsistent and often stupid, and their offense is awesome. Why would we ever try to get into a shootout with them? The risk-reward just isn't there.

I don't have the stats, but I'm willign to bet a statistically significant amount of those yards and points were put up in hurry up in a very small % of overall snaps..

I bet when we huddle we are closer to the 20th ranked offense

But their run defense is nothing special either, and our QB is young and inconsistent and often stupid, and their offense is awesome. Why would we ever try to get into a shootout with them? The risk-reward just isn't there.

I think they wanted to get a few early scores and play the hot hand.. I don't think it was a game long philosophy.. either way, it didn't kill us early.. field position did.. and for that you can blame the defense, rex and the special teams..

They started down 3 and went on 12 play drive that ended in a horrible FG decision.. (also, if memory serves they had to attempt the FG only cause Sanchez threw behind a few players)

Pats get the ball go right down the field for a td and it's 10-0

Then we have a legitimately bad drive, and the ******* punter kicks it 11 yards to our own 32.. pats go in and score, 17-0 .. game over, game plan out the window..

It was that quick.. Basically the offense had 1 bad drive and were down 17-0 as a result of the rest of the team doing sh*t

Well Mangini was a control freak and I think that benefits those kinds of coaches. Rex on the other hand, seems to take the approach of (and keep in mind, I love this man and think he's awesome):

tumblr_ld2n63RhDx1qzh5gno1_500.jpg

I think they wanted to get a few early scores and play the hot hand.. I don't think it was a game long philosophy.. either way, it didn't kill us early.. field position did.. and for that you can blame the defense, rex and the special teams..

They started down 3 and went on 12 play drive that ended in a horrible FG decision.. (also, if memory serves they had to attempt the FG only cause Sanchez threw behind a few players)

Then we have a legitimately bad drive, and the ******* punter kicks it 11 yards to our own 32.. pats go in and score, 17-0 .. game over, game plan out the window..

It was that quick.. Basically the offense had 1 bad drive and were down 17-0 as a result of the rest of the team doing sh*t

You actually watched the game, 1st drive was no huddle and moved the ball well until 2 terrible passes stalling drive, the 2nd drive was not no huddle and was a 3 and out follwed by 12 yd punt 3rd drive was again conventual 3 pts 4th drive conventional 4 and out

Not sure what game people were watching, The Defense was awful the whole game

+1

I'm trying to get over how the switch from "more no huddle/2 minute type offense" from the fans to "ZOMG HOW DARE THEY DO THAT THEY KNOW SANCHEZ ISN"T READY AND THEY CHANGED EVERYTHING!!?!?!" Sometimes I swear the HC treats the offense just the way the fans do...understandable on his part at least because defensive coaches are naturally conservative and leery of their own offenses mistakes...but still something he just has to grow out of (along with Sanchez, who also seems to freeze up if a couple things go wrong).

Also +1...Not sure it's understood how bad that challenge/FG screwed us...to throw the D and special team's worst games on top of it...the whole thing was a recipe for disaster.

Why are you and I defending the Jets today?

This is weird.

You actually watched the game, 1st drive was no huddle and moved the ball well until 2 terrible passes stalling drive, the 2nd drive was not no huddle and was a 3 and out follwed by 12 yd punt 3rd drive was again conventual 3 pts 4th drive conventional 4 and out

Not sure what game people were watching, The Defense was awful the whole game

i almost typed out second drive wasn't no huddle cause I couldn't remember for sure..

I really don't know what 2006, 07 or 08 has to do with this year.. But your stats are deflated by that shocker 6-3 game in the slop at NE in 2006..

And last year our pass defense was awesome, insanely better then what we are fielding this season.

Not to mention this year NE's passing offense has been a ton better then the 06 and 08 verisions and marginally better then 09.. (those TE's are awesome basically both top 5 and have made up for missing Moss)

So in 09 the Pats averaged 20ppg against us, 9 on road and 31 at home..

This year they have an improved passing offense going up against our passing defense which is a shell of what it was last year.. Why would you think we'd hold them to 17 when last year they hung 31 on us at home last season?

Last year was a weird game because it came after the Jets blew a game to the Jaguars and more or less believed the season was over. Secondly the points hung on the Jets in that game was as much about Sanchez as it was on the defense. 7 points came off a Sanchez interception returned for a score and another 7 was gift wrapped when Sanchez gave them the ball around the Jets 20. At worst you would call that 24 points allowed and had he not thrown the two picks would probably result in 20 points allowed. The Jets have a better offense last year and should not have been giving the ball to NE deep inside their own territory this time around nor going nowhere with the ball and giving them great field position as they did last season.

I dont think Id say their offense is any more explosive than last season. They average less yards via air and basically convert the same on 3rd downs. I think the bigger difference in their point totals this year compared to last are the fact that the defense gets a bunch of turnovers in the secondary that give the offense good field position. They also have 6 non offensive scores this season, which is double what they had all last season. The Jets played some bizzarre style of game where they did exactly what the Pats wanted by handing them good field position and giving them a short field to blow the Jets out on early.

Archived