Its all Shotty's fault right?

KINGDIRK

I'm trying to get over how the switch from "more no huddle/2 minute type offense" from the fans to "ZOMG HOW DARE THEY DO THAT THEY KNOW SANCHEZ ISN"T READY AND THEY CHANGED EVERYTHING!!?!?!" Sometimes I swear the HC treats the offense just the way the fans do...understandable on his part at least because defensive coaches are naturally conservative and leery of their own offenses mistakes...but still something he just has to grow out of (along with Sanchez, who also seems to freeze up if a couple things go wrong).

I actually think more no-huddle is a good idea generally speaking; the frustrating thing is that the Patriots are one of two or three teams against whom the no-huddle is a huge mistake.

RE the bold: the problem with that is that he brought us back against NE, Detroit, Cleveland, and Houston, which makes me think it's more the coaches hammering ideas into his head until he doesn't know which way is up. It wasn't just his accuracy or decision-making last night, I noticed his mechanics were off at times too.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have the stats, but I'm willign to bet a statistically significant amount of those yards and points were put up in hurry up in a very small % of overall snaps..

I bet when we huddle we are closer to the 20th ranked offense

Thats an interesting thought. The one argument I would have though is that the Jets offense is generally garbage early in the game. I think that is independent of huddling and not huddling. Its just the offense taking forever to get warmed up for whatever reason. Anyway I went through the boxscore logs and the Jets two minute drill offenses (or at least what I assume are) produced 53 points. That drops them into the bottom 10 for the rest of the offensive production, but that doesnt take into account other teams that have the same things that happen inside of 2 minutes or when down late.

I do think the Jets bigger issue this season is the fact that they are so overreliant on the big pass play. When teams take that away the offense is totally ineffective. If the no huddle numbers hold up it may also say something about the offense being too complex for the QB. 2 minute football is often simple and easier on some of the guys. I remember Vinny basically talking about that when he had issues when Henning was promoted to OC under Groh and the team was far more effective in the hurry up. The hurry up the Jets would have run Monday Night would have been scripted much moreso than a usual hurry up scenario, but maybe Sanchez just cant grip the offense.

Last year was a weird game because it came after the Jets blew a game to the Jaguars and more or less believed the season was over. Secondly the points hung on the Jets in that game was as much about Sanchez as it was on the defense. 7 points came off a Sanchez interception returned for a score and another 7 was gift wrapped when Sanchez gave them the ball around the Jets 20. At worst you would call that 24 points allowed and had he not thrown the two picks would probably result in 20 points allowed. The Jets have a better offense last year and should not have been giving the ball to NE deep inside their own territory this time around nor going nowhere with the ball and giving them great field position as they did last season.

I dont think Id say their offense is any more explosive than last season. They average less yards via air and basically convert the same on 3rd downs. I think the bigger difference in their point totals this year compared to last are the fact that the defense gets a bunch of turnovers in the secondary that give the offense good field position. They also have 6 non offensive scores this season, which is double what they had all last season. The Jets played some bizzarre style of game where they did exactly what the Pats wanted by handing them good field position and giving them a short field to blow the Jets out on early.

Pats passing offense

dvoa - rank..

2006 32.2% - 5

2007 75.4% - 1

2008 18.5% - 15

2009 57.0% - 2

2010 72.6% - 1

This is a very good passing offense this season, just not as explozie as the 2007 version.. but 27 TD's and 3 INT's is unreal

Thats an interesting thought. The one argument I would have though is that the Jets offense is generally garbage early in the game. I think that is independent of huddling and not huddling. Its just the offense taking forever to get warmed up for whatever reason. Anyway I went through the boxscore logs and the Jets two minute drill offenses (or at least what I assume are) produced 53 points. That drops them into the bottom 10 for the rest of the offensive production, but that doesnt take into account other teams that have the same things that happen inside of 2 minutes or when down late.

I do think the Jets bigger issue this season is the fact that they are so overreliant on the big pass play. When teams take that away the offense is totally ineffective. If the no huddle numbers hold up it may also say something about the offense being too complex for the QB. 2 minute football is often simple and easier on some of the guys. I remember Vinny basically talking about that when he had issues when Henning was promoted to OC under Groh and the team was far more effective in the hurry up. The hurry up the Jets would have run Monday Night would have been scripted much moreso than a usual hurry up scenario, but maybe Sanchez just cant grip the offense.

When's the last time a QB completely grasped schitty's offense?

Fair points... I really think the CS was thinking that sanchez has been lights out in the hurry up and the offense has been non existant in first halves in general, lets throw the pats a curveball and see if we can some early points for a change, cause we're going to need them (not to mention that they attacked the weakest part of the pats defense, the secondary)

Fair points... I really think the CS was thinking that sanchez has been lights out in the hurry up and the offense has been non existant in first halves in general, lets throw the pats a curveball and see if we can some early points for a change, cause we're going to need them (not to mention that they attacked the weakest part of the pats defense, the secondary)

They did? Judging from the score and stats you wouldn't have guessed it. We attacked the secondary week 2, whereas it looked more like we gave the pats every opportunity to stop our offense. But when it came to this game they completely threw their working gameplan out the window.

I actually think more no-huddle is a good idea generally speaking; the frustrating thing is that the Patriots are one of two or three teams against whom the no-huddle is a huge mistake.

RE the bold: the problem with that is that he brought us back against NE, Detroit, Cleveland, and Houston, which makes me think it's more the coaches hammering ideas into his head until he doesn't know which way is up. It wasn't just his accuracy or decision-making last night, I noticed his mechanics were off at times too.

He seemed to have the something knocked out of him after Wilfork clocked him...two...three times early...The Pats put The Fear into Sanchez last night...as early as they could too because IIRC he didn't really start poorly.

Sanchez better get used to it...he'll be seeing Peppers, Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, and Hampton this December and that's just the out of division games...Dolphins young DL always seems to give the OL problems...plus there's Dansby and Wake...

Also...I'm a huge fan of the no huddle. It's the future of this offense...or a major part of it.

This is both good and bad...Good because there's not many 2nd year, true sophomore, college junior QBs who will come into the league and make the deep ball a weapon. The bad/over reliant part is due to his inability to string together a strong short passing game...he can nail a slant or two if the D is caught off guard...but the guy isn't exactly sitting comfortable back there reading coverage after coverage with ease...

Believe me it could be worse...they could not have the deep ball as a weapon at all...It'd be Sanchez '09 all over again.

Remember how I said weeks ago you try out new things against the crappy teams like the Lions because the good teams will stuff it if you're not already good at it?

Yeah. That is how competition works.

Don't "save" the foundation of your offense for the big dogs. Sure throw in new wrinkles. But you don't scrap everything entirely and try starting something new against a tough opponent. At least not until you've run up a big lead at any rate.

Remember how I said weeks ago you try out new things against the crappy teams like the Lions because the good teams will stuff it if you're not already good at it?

Yeah. That is how competition works.

Don't "save" the foundation of your offense for the big dogs. Sure throw in new wrinkles. But you don't scrap everything entirely and try starting something new against a tough opponent. At least not until you've run up a big lead at any rate.

That's not how this game went at all. See CTM's field position post for why.

Archived