Hard Knocks: Clemens

TNJet

I saw 30 secondss of hard knocks episode 3 on youtube that had MT telling Clemens he should take a pay cut and be demoted to 3rd string. Kellen replied, "what if i said I'd rather not?". MT: "We cut you"...can anyone tell me if any other bad blood between Kellen and the front office was showed? Its interesting, seeing how i agree that they shat on Kellen since 2006 anyway. He should be fed up by now.

I know of no other bad blood but this was particularly slimy. Tagged the guy back in the spring so no one else could sign him (without forfeiting a 2nd rounder to the Jets, which means no one was signing him). Agreed to pay him what the RFA offer sheet says. Then after all the #2 QB jobs are spoken for they tear it up with no consequences. The player gets a conditional pink slip (along with an invitation to find a new home, new school for his kids right when the school year starts, etc) unless he gives up $500K. All in a year with no salary cap.

This is really something that should be addressed in a new CBA. It's crap & it doesn't matter how good or bad the player is.

tha poor bastard

he's going to walk away from an NFL career 100% healthy and a millionaire

poor baby

Never said i feel sorry for him, just don't think he's ever been given a fare shot with a good oline and wrs,and he was here 3 yrs before Sanchez. In 2008 he was robbed by Favres stupid azz.

Never said i feel sorry for him, just don't think he's ever been given a fare shot with a good oline and wrs,and he was here 3 yrs before Sanchez. In 2008 he was robbed by Favres stupid azz.

nah

if he was good enough to start somewone would have traded for him or he would have won the job

nah

if he was good enough to start somewone would have traded for him or he would have won the job

That is not really true. No one was going to trade a 2nd round pick for the rights to Clemens in 2010. Not even Al Davis. They knew they were going to pick up MB and still strung him along. After signing MB they still kept Clemens. Then with the season about to start, the Jets tore up the offer sheet they both signed like 5 months earlier and said take a 50% pay cut or we'll cut you now that there aren't any #2 jobs in the NFL left to compete for.

Whether he sucks or not isn't really relevant. The team screwed him.

That is not really true. No one was going to trade a 2nd round pick for the rights to Clemens in 2010. Not even Al Davis. They knew they were going to pick up MB and still strung him along. After signing MB they still kept Clemens. Then with the season about to start, the Jets tore up the offer sheet they both signed like 5 months earlier and said take a 50% pay cut or we'll cut you now that there aren't any #2 jobs in the NFL left to compete for.

Whether he sucks or not isn't really relevant. The team screwed him.

I wish I could get screwed like that

where do I sign up ?

That whole scene was more or less staged for the cameras. The agent had already been informed and I am pretty positive Kellen even confirmed that afterwards. Secondly they never cut his salary to the minimum as was implied in the show. Granted he did not get much over the minimum but it was not as cut and dried as Tannenbaum saying were thinking of paying you the minimum or we cut you. His agent had prior to that conversation gotten the Jets to up the money by at least a little bit.

Strictly speaking you're right, but this is a competitive league and if you didn't overwhelm the scouts in your college career and earn a number one draft position, you have to sieze the job somehow.

Yes the team stunk when they let Clemens start the second half of his second year, but he had a competition with Pennington the next training camp and indications were that Pennington was ahead when Favre was obtained.

If Clemens had impressed more in that third year training camp, there was a good chance that when Favre left the Jets would have at least considered Clemens a candidate for the starting job. Instead they traded for a first rounder, essentially ending Clemens' shot.

Clemens could have helped himself immensely if he looked better in that competition with Pennington.

bush league by the jets.. but kellen had no suitors

Certainly not while the compensation to the Jets was a 2nd round pick. Quite a difference between that and nothing. If the Jets didn't want him they could have not tagged him or at least let him go in July when they signed Brunell (since it was announced prior to the first practice that Brunell was #2 and Clemens #3).

Forgive me if the progeny of the QB coaching tree who felt Drew Brees was a lost cause isn't the end-all of judgment of a QB's potential.

But to your point, I'm sure that Brad Smith will get offers other than from the Jets. If the Jets slap a WR franchise tag on him (or if they were able to tag him with a 2nd rounder again), he will have the same number of suitors Clemens (and Smith) had this past year: zero.

Clemens certainly wasn't getting any starting gigs no matter what this offseason. But as far as jobs available for #2's, I'd match him up favorably with the likes of unknown (or known to be nothing) #2's like Chase Daniel, Jordan Palmer, Curtis Painter, Charlie Whitehurst, Caleb Hanie. and maybe others I'm not thinking of. He could at least get his way into a competition. But no one was even going to give his agent a call to compete for a #2 job (with a #2's contract) while the Jets were owed a 2nd rounder, nor after the teams were about to start the season.

Tannenbaum's a douche and Clemens has been repeatedly jerked around, but it's hard to feel too sorry for him. If he thought he had a chance to play somewhere else, he could have spit at Tannenbaum and taken the pink slip. The bottom line is that Tanny burned a pick (didn't he trade up for him, too?) for Clemens and his coaches went out of their way to not try and develop him--first by falling for Pennington's game-manager voodoo, then by signing Favre in an attempt to sell tickets. Who knows how good Clemens could have been if he was coddled like Sanchez has been and awarded an unearned death grip on the starting job?

Then again, maybe Clemens just sucks. In last year's training camp, the best QB to take a snap was far and away Erik Ainge.

Clemens certainly wasn't getting any starting gigs no matter what this offseason. But as far as jobs available for #2's, I'd match him up favorably with the likes of unknown (or known to be nothing) #2's like Chase Daniel, Jordan Palmer, Curtis Painter, Charlie Whitehurst, Caleb Hanie. and maybe others I'm not thinking of. He could at least get his way into a competition. But no one was even going to give his agent a call to compete for a #2 job (with a #2's contract) while the Jets were owed a 2nd rounder, nor after the teams were about to start the season.

He'd be a perfect fit in New England as Brady's back-up, IMO.

Tannenbaum's a douche and Clemens has been repeatedly jerked around, but it's hard to feel too sorry for him. If he thought he had a chance to play somewhere else, he could have spit at Tannenbaum and taken the pink slip. The bottom line is that Tanny burned a pick (didn't he trade up for him, too?) for Clemens and his coaches went out of their way to not try and develop him--first by falling for Pennington's game-manager voodoo, then by signing Favre in an attempt to sell tickets. Who knows how good Clemens could have been if he was coddled like Sanchez has been and awarded an unearned death grip on the starting job?

Then again, maybe Clemens just sucks. In last year's training camp, the best QB to take a snap was far and away Erik Ainge.

The problem is the Jets did the move so late that he would have had no chance to pick up anywhere. Nobody thinks there is any upside to Clemens around the league. He doesn't even play well in the preseason at this point, but he has been around long enough and behind enough respected QBs that someone would probably have given him a chance to compete for a job as a 2. The problem is nobody is giving you that chance in late August when the Jets started the process of doing the new deal. I understand playing hard ball with the players, especially in a capped year, but in this case Im not sure if it was really necessary. Once the Jets had the deal in place for Brunell they should have tried to move Clemens for a 7 and when that didnt work given him his release so he would have a chance to pick up somewhere.

My understanding was that the Jets were shopping him and had no takers. Yes they tendered him for a 2nd, but they could have taken less. I think they tried to deal him while they waited for the ability to sign Brunell. Remember, they were also handcuffed a bit by Ainge's substance abuse and O'Connell's sucking and(maybe he sucked because of his)injury. I think I read they were offering him up from before the draft along with Faneca and Ellis.

How? Guys lucky he's on the active roster.

They tendered him @2.. and cause he sucks it meant he was stuck here, then they basically wait till the end of camp (when his options would be very limited) to give the guy a huge pay cut that was only a fraction of the salary cap. Consuela probably earns that much in a quarter.. Whats the point other then looking slimey

Strictly speaking you're right, but this is a competitive league and if you didn't overwhelm the scouts in your college career and earn a number one draft position, you have to sieze the job somehow.

Yes the team stunk when they let Clemens start the second half of his second year, but he had a competition with Pennington the next training camp and indications were that Pennington was ahead when Favre was obtained.

If Clemens had impressed more in that third year training camp, there was a good chance that when Favre left the Jets would have at least considered Clemens a candidate for the starting job. Instead they traded for a first rounder, essentially ending Clemens' shot.

Clemens could have helped himself immensely if he looked better in that competition with Pennington.

You are 100% correct on the facts. What always bothered me about that competition is the fact that training camp wizards dont always produce on the field. Kellen showed me more on the field, and won 4 more games than Chad in less opportunities given. You can have an egg shell training camp hero, i'll take a young gunslinger with mobility over that anyday, and the jets front office should've too. Dumbasses. Did Favre do any better than Kellen would've? I seriously doubt it. He ended up throwing about 3 picks a game and didnt get us to the playoffs. Theres no proof that Clemens couldnt have had a great year.

Archived