The Official JN Sal Alosi Discussion Thread

BP

Umm, actually it is. So much so in fact that the same guy was penalized for doing just that on the Dolphins punt that immediately preceded the punt that Alosi kneed him on.

Did you even watch the game Superfan?

There were differences in the 2 plays. On the first one with the penalty, he had run almost the entire length of the field out of bounds, which is illegal, but the second play he was blocked out of bounds, and was making his way back onto the field, which is allowed by the NFL. It was the Jets players that had forced Carroll out of bounds, dumbass. Further proof that the Jets coaches set up that play... Force the gunner out of bounds, and we'll have the Jets coaches impede his progress, thereby isolating the 11th player. It's shady, it's cheating and the Jets entire organization should be donkey punched as punishment.

This crap is really starting to bother me. Thomas is an idiot. I felt bad for the guy who was tripped, but I must say after all this bs fallout from something that happens all the time, I wish Alosi would have leveled him!

Get a life fag fan. Your team should stick out their chest like your coach ordered because they looked impressive Sunday. I mean 130 yards of offense and five whole completions. Record breaking performance. To "shut down" the JETS high powered offense is hall of fame worthy of your defense. Be loud be proud, be a fag fan!

Scoreboard. Look at the scoreboard. 10-6... Phins win.

/reply.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were differences in the 2 plays. On the first one with the penalty, he had run almost the entire length of the field out of bounds, which is illegal, but the second play he was blocked out of bounds, and was making his way back onto the field, which is allowed by the NFL. It was the Jets players that had forced Carroll out of bounds, dumbass. Further proof that the Jets coaches set up that play... Force the gunner out of bounds, and we'll have the Jets coaches impede his progress, thereby isolating the 11th player. It's shady, it's cheating and the Jets entire organization should be donkey punched as punishment.

/reply.

Did you not see any of the 80,000 replays where he's running full-speed, out of bounds, parallel to the sideline? He wasn't tripped while making his way back in bounds. He was running downfield and figured the path of least resistance was to run where there were no Jets players blocking him: out of bounds.

That Alosi guy is a tool. Not for standing there, but for tripping. But spare me the nonsense about Carroll working his way back in bounds when he was tripped. He was running downfield with his eyes downfield. 2 Jets being right by him - NOT out of bounds - is the reason he wanted no part of running back in bounds. He figured he'd get to the punt returner faster by running down the sideline.

/reply.

Wrong again. He was forced out on both plays. The "Steve Tasker Rule" states that once forced out of bounds the gunner needs to make the effort to return to the field of play.

Carroll made no effort to return to the field of play on the one he was penalized for until he jumped back in bounds to make the tackle. On the one Alosi hit him on, he was making no effort to return to the field of play.

There is no rule that prohibits teams from crowding the sideline to prevent a gunner from running out of bounds and there shouldn't be because it is illegal for the gunner to run out of bounds.

Former Buffalo Bill Steve Tasker, one of the greatest special-teams players in history, said the Jets' tactic -- if intentional -- didn't bother him at all. He didn't condone Alosi's trip, but he has no problem with a team trying to defend its sideline to prevent a gunner from gaining field position.

"No question, you're not supposed to trip someone, but I think this is an overreaction," he said in a phone interview. "This isn't stealing signs or illegal taping or somebody sabotaging something. It was just a guy, reacting."

Tasker said he made a living out of running out of bounds as a gunner, using the sideline to escape blockers. One time, in a game against the Jets, he was so far out of bounds that he ran through the bench area to break free. Another time, he said he was tripped by former Giants punter Sean Landeta while running on the boundary.

"You think this is the first time [a trip] ever happened? Come on," Tasker said. "Guys were always giving me extra shoves. You don't want to see someone get hurt, but it's not a big deal. Why wouldn't you give a guy a forearm shiver? Everyone on the sideline is part of a team and they all want to win. Shoot, even the doctors are competitive.

"If [the Jets] are coached to do that, so what? Call a penalty on them. If a gunner is going to use the sideline as a weapon, like I did, why wouldn't you want to form a roadblock? There's nothing wrong with that as long as it's within the rules."

Who's my bitch?

They should take away the Jets first round draft pick for this. They have stained the NFL shield.

We'd just take a CB or DE/OLB who won't see the field, a QB who has trouble delivering the ball to his receivers, or a TE who drops it when he does. Anyone good we do draft in the first round will hold out. Twice. So the joke would be on you, lol.

We'd just take a CB or DE/OLB who won't see the field, a QB who has trouble delivering the ball to his receivers, or a TE who drops it when he does. Anyone good we do draft in the first round will hold out. Twice. So the joke would be on you, lol.

Geez, your right. Ok, the NFL should move the jets up in the draft and have them pick lucky #6.

First round is a horrible place to find decent NFL talent. That's why the Patriots always trade down. :)

Just for shizz and gigs, it would be interesting to see how Goodell would handle it if, indeed, it came out that either Westhoff or Rex issued the order to line up line that. Given that he saw fit to suspend Alosi, you would think any coach who orchestrated such a debacle would also get hit with at least a one game hit. But since Goodell let Belichick off with a wristslap for openly cheating the game, how can he justify suspending a Jets coach for a relatively minor offense?

Just for shizz and gigs, it would be interesting to see how Goodell would handle it if, indeed, it came out that either Westhoff or Rex issued the order to line up line that. Given that he saw fit to suspend Alosi, you would think any coach who orchestrated such a debacle would also get hit with at least a one game hit. But since Goodell let Belichick off with a wristslap for openly cheating the game, how can he justify suspending a Jets coach for a relatively minor offense?

There's a rule against lining up on the sideline, fully out of bounds? That's a new one.

I think the Jets suspended Alosi.

There's a rule against lining up on the sideline, fully out of bounds? That's a new one.

If it does come out that it was orchestrated by Rex Ryan it would be a big deal. Cause it meant that Ryan lied and and Sal lied. Which then also calls into the question of whether Ryan also ordered the hit and if the whole suspension is a big sham with Sal being promised a $100K bonus down the line to make up for his financial loss plus some.

Keep in mind BB never once denied the taping or that it was an act of a rogue employee. He stated that his reading of the rules were that it was permissible as long as the tape wasn't used during the game. Rex Ryan did not say "I order the wall but that is allowed, but not the hit" He said he didn't order the wall. If he is lying about any part of what happened, then it is a big deal.

Let's review how this started.

Does it say anything about why the Dolphin's gunner was illegally running out of bounds?

"Illegally running out of bounds" was what I responded to. It wasn't illegal, especially with the 2 Jets players forcing him out of bounds.

No, mostly because what he wasn't illegal, or against the NFL rules

Umm, actually it is. So much so in fact that the same guy was penalized for doing just that on the Dolphins punt that immediately preceded the punt that Alosi kneed him on.

Did you even watch the game Superfan?

To which you said it was illegal...

Wrong again. He was forced out on both plays. The "Steve Tasker Rule" states that once forced out of bounds the gunner needs to make the effort to return to the field of play.

Carroll made no effort to return to the field of play on the one he was penalized for until he jumped back in bounds to make the tackle. On the one Alosi hit him on, he was making no effort to return to the field of play.

There is no rule that prohibits teams from crowding the sideline to prevent a gunner from running out of bounds and there shouldn't be because it is illegal for the gunner to run out of bounds.

Who's my bitch?

Well, with this reply from you, you backtrack and say it's allowed, but only if the runner is making an effort to return in bounds... Now, there are 2 Jets defenders impeding him from returning to the field of play, as well as 6 Jets coaches standing toe to toe on the field line, how's he supposed to return to field of play when there are 2 players blocking him from doing so? The whole play was designed to isolate Carroll from the play on the field, which it did. Kudos to the Jets coaching staff for executing this.

Let me ask you this, if a player is forced out of bounds by the opposing team, you think the gunner should penalized?

If it does come out that it was orchestrated by Rex Ryan it would be a big deal. Cause it meant that Ryan lied and and Sal lied. Which then also calls into the question of whether Ryan also ordered the hit and if the whole suspension is a big sham with Sal being promised a $100K bonus down the line to make up for his financial loss plus some.

Keep in mind BB never once denied the taping or that it was an act of a rogue employee. He stated that his reading of the rules were that it was permissible as long as the tape wasn't used during the game. Rex Ryan did not say "I order the wall but that is allowed, but not the hit" He said he didn't order the wall. If he is lying about any part of what happened, then it is a big deal.

Really? Go through all that trouble and promise a guy 100k if he gets suspended, all for possibly affecting one play. Really?

over a million in fines and a loss of a first round pick are wristslaps now?

much like taping, this side-line special teams strength coach lynching has gone WAY overboard. My guess is that most teams incorporate some kind of "wall" technique." Sure, the knee was a bit much...but do not tell me that teams throughout the league do not imploy the "wall" tactic. Conversely - I bet a lot of special teams players do (and are told) to run out of bounds (but make it look good- wink-wink)....down the sideline....almost unencumbered. Should teams just let the opposition get away with that strategy? It's gamesmanship, people. Yes, the knee was going too far....but the rest? Meh. Yawn.

Wow, just wow.

I bestow upon you the Master of Complete and Total Bullsh*t. You have graduated to a level above Moronic Troll but still below Brutally Annoying ****sucker.

Your poli-sci professor should be proud of your ability to spin.

"Illegally running out of bounds" was what I responded to. It wasn't illegal, especially with the 2 Jets players forcing him out of bounds.

Well, with this reply from you, you backtrack and say it's allowed, but only if the runner is making an effort to return in bounds... Now, there are 2 Jets defenders impeding him from returning to the field of play, as well as 6 Jets coaches standing toe to toe on the field line, how's he supposed to return to field of play when there are 2 players blocking him from doing so? The whole play was designed to isolate Carroll from the play on the field, which it did. Kudos to the Jets coaching staff for executing this.

Let me ask you this, if a player is forced out of bounds by the opposing team, you think the gunner should penalized?

I never said it was allowed. A gunner is not allowed to run down out of bounds without making any effort to return to the field of play. Carroll was clearly not making any effort whatsoever to return to the field of play on either punt. Can you not read? Are you really that friggin' stupid?

Ummm doesn't matter that two defenders are there, it's his job to re-establish himself in the field of play. That's the whole point of defenders using the sideline. Limits the room the gunner has to get by. Maybe if Carroll moved closer in from sideline he'd have more room to get by. Either way he has to fight to get right back into field of play. And secondly, it's only a penalty when they run freely down sidelines without immediately trying to come back on.

Really? Go through all that trouble and promise a guy 100k if he gets suspended, all for possibly affecting one play. Really?

Nah...Order the hit expecting it will never get caught on film.

Now that you are caught what do you do?

Options:

A. If Sal says, "I was just following order," Jets get hit with a massive fine and probably a loss of a draft pick.

B. If you leave it up to the league, Sal might get a permanent ban from the NFL. Sal is probably unwilling to do that and would revert to option A.

C. Give Sal a vacation. Publicly dock his pay and collect a fine from him. Then quietly give him back double the money he lost.

If you're going to gun from out of bounds, you deserve it. Getting called for it didn't stop him, so Alosi did. The only thing Alosi did wrong was failing to break that cheating scumbag Carrol's leg.

Half-assed, like everything the Jets do.

If you managed a WalMart and you hired a door security guard to deter theft, there's nothing wrong with that. But if that door guard punches a kid in the face for trying to steal an El DeBarge CD, then you're both screwed.

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

I never said it was allowed. A gunner is not allowed to run down out of bounds without making any effort to return to the field of play. Carroll was clearly not making any effort whatsoever to return to the field of play on either punt. Can you not read? Are you really that friggin' stupid?

I'll give you the first one, but the second one he was trying to come back on, but was impeded by 2 blockers, ergo it's not a play worthy of a flag, WHICH IS WHY ONE WAS NEVER THROWN!!!

I'll give you the first one, but the second one he was trying to come back on, but was impeded by 2 blockers, ergo it's not a play worthy of a flag, WHICH IS WHY ONE WAS NEVER THROWN!!!

This is simply not true. He got caught cheating once by the officials and once by Sal Alosi.

Maybe if you're blind he was trying to come back. He got knocked out of bounds at about the 25-yard line and tripped at around the 35. Alosi wasn't standing right on top of the field, he was on the inside on the 4+ foot wide white out of bounds line that runs the length of the field. Carroll was making no attempt whatsover to get back in bounds.

haha it doesn't matter if he is impeded, he still has to fight to come right back in. That's like saying I was going to try to get to the qb, but was impeded by an OL, so I didn't try.

Archived