Who do the Yankees need to pursue for pitching?

Blackout

Burnett has never had a great season. Beckett has had a handful. Beckett pitched hurt most of last season, Burnett was healthy. Burnett is 34, Beckett is 30. Should I go on?

Eh. See you in September. You are the one trying to make this out to be some great deficiency of the Yankees that can't be corrected. They'll be fine and you know it. If a move needs to be made, it will be. Personally I'm fine with Nova as #5 and see how he does.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh. See you in September. You are the one trying to make this out to be some great deficiency of the Yankees that can't be corrected. They'll be fine and you know it. If a move needs to be made, it will be. Personally I'm fine with Nova as #5 and see how he does.

I'm sure the Yankees will make a move, but right now it is a deficiency. Nova would be fine as the #5, but right now he's the #4 and Mitre is your #5. Fact is, the Yankees need a #2 starter.

I'm sure the Yankees will make a move, but right now it is a deficiency. Nova would be fine as the #5, but right now he's the #4 and Mitre is your #5. Fact is, the Yankees need a #2 starter.

This is the without Pettitte scenario, right?

CC

Pettitte

Hughes

Burnett

Nova/MeatTray

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Aren't a bunch of JAGs equivalent to what we are talking about at the bottom of the Sox rotation?

Fair point.

The back end of the Sox rotation at worst is staffed with JAGs. Beckett, if healthy, can be dominant. Dice-K and Lackey are heads and shoulders above any remaining FA pitchers. I would say they are slightly above average.

Fair point.

The back end of the Sox rotation at worst is staffed with JAGs. Beckett, if healthy, can be dominant. Dice-K and Lackey are heads and shoulders above any remaining FA pitchers. I would say they are slightly above average.

Sox rotation is fine. I cannot believe the point is even being argued. Buchholtz and Lester have blown away the old debates concerning Yanks-Sox young pitchers.

Everyone with the possible exception of Dice would be the #2 starter on the Yanks and sadly with Johan hurt the #1 on the Mets.

What does the Yankees rotation 2 years ago have anything to do with now? The Yankees rotation after CC is a huge question mark.

CC and a question mark made the playoffs last year.

Becks and the bunch were on the outside looking in, which I fully expect to happen once again this year

Hughes had two good months and then was garbage. Burnout was awful from jump.

The Sox have Lester and Buchholz. That's a very solid 1-2. Their 3-5 have question marks but they are still better than most 3-5s out there.

You're putting an awful lot of faith in a 2nd year guy

Buchholz will come back to earth....and lets be honest here....:ester is basically hit or miss most of the time

Hughes was garbage. Wow. Didn't realize he won all those games in 2 months.

Actually the most games he won in any month last year was 4. He won 18 games in total. The Red Sox wishful thinking train continues...

Buchholz will come back to earth....and lets be honest here....:ester is basically hit or miss most of the time

Lester is hit or miss most of the time? Really? The guy was a top Cy Young contender. How is that hit or miss?

At least TRY to make valid points. Not wishful thinking that Buchholz will come back to earth because you hope and pray for it.

Hughes was garbage. Wow. Didn't realize he won all those games in 2 months.

Actually the most games he won in any month last year was 4. He won 18 games in total. The Red Sox wishful thinking train continues...

Wins are a team stat. He wasn't good after May. Just look up the numbers. They are the black and white. The Yankees offense won most of those starts for him.

Bucholz came back to earth in 2008. Since mid-season 2009, he has been solid as he enters his prime.

Lester hit or miss? :rl: Yeah, I will take that hit or miss. :rolleyes:

...but...but...but, you said the Yankees pen and batting wasn't enough to overcome bad starts! I'm so confused.

I didn't say that about last season. This season may be a different story with that line-up aging. Try to keep up with the conversation and you wouldn't be so confused.

Yep. You keep poppin' the champagne corks now. Cashman and I aren't worried. It's a long season and even if we have to start it with Nova and Mitre the Yanks will be fine. With Pettitte the Yanks are already better.

I'm not popping anything. Just stating facts. Even with Pettitte the Yanks aren't better. If he comes back, how healthy is he? Can he last a whole season? Even with Pettitte the Sox rotation is better.

Wins are a team stat. He wasn't good after May. Just look up the numbers. They are the black and white. The Yankees offense won most of those starts for him.

You said he had 2 good months. That isn't true. He started the year off on fire and was dominant. He had several good months. Just look up the numbers. They are black and white.

I'm not popping anything. Just stating facts. Even with Pettitte the Yanks aren't better. If he comes back, how healthy is he? Can he last a whole season? Even with Pettitte the Sox rotation is better.

Petite pulled a muscle in his leg I believe. It isn't like they are bringing him back after a torn rotator cuff.

I do love that Red Sox fans have their expectations so high!

You said he had 2 good months. That isn't true. He started the year off on fire and was dominant. He had several good months. Just look up the numbers. They are black and white.

ERA by Month:

April: 2.00

May: 3.03

June: 5.17

July: 5.52

August: 4.22

September: 4.85

Please point out the more than two months that were good. April and may were good. August was mediocre. June and July were terrible. Spetember was bad. Please do some research. Thanks.

Petite pulled a muscle in his leg I believe. It isn't like they are bringing him back after a torn rotator cuff.

I do love that Red Sox fans have their expectations so high!

Is Pettitte even coming back? He hasn't said so, has he? Why shouldn't Red Sox fans have their expectations high? The ownership/GM went out and improved the team in the offseason while their main competitors either did nothing or had lots of big pieces removed from their team.

ERA by Month:

Please point out the more than two months that were good. April and may were good. August was mediocre. June and July were terrible. Spetember was bad. Please do some research. Thanks.

Is Pettitte even coming back? He hasn't said so, has he? Why shouldn't Red Sox fans have their expectations high? The ownership/GM went out and improved the team in the offseason while their main competitors either did nothing or had lots of big pieces removed from their team.

It's arguable how much Boston improved themselves. They got a GREAT season from Beltre last season and they lost V-Mart NTM Buchholz coming back to earth so while they added Agon who is a great player I think a realistic expectation for him is about the same year Beltre had last season and Crawford won't pick up V-Mart's production.

It's arguable how much Boston improved themselves. They got a GREAT season from Beltre last season and they lost V-Mart NTM Buchholz coming back to earth so while they added Agon who is a great player I think a realistic expectation for him is about the same year Beltre had last season and Crawford won't pick up V-Mart's production.

Even if the FAs turn out to be a wash, don't forget the Red Sox are getting back Ellsbury, Youks and Pedroia for hopefully full seasons. Plus the elements that Crawford brings in the field and on the basepaths is huge too.

And while I don't expect Buchholz to pitch with a 2.33 ERA but there isn't anything that tells me he can't win another 15-18 games with an ERA around 3 or so. And I also don't expect Beckett and Lackey both to have mediocre seasons again.

Beltre always seems to have a great year in his contract seasons. Then he goes back to being a good player as oppossed to a great one. Adrian Gonzalez is a better hitter year in and year out. He put up his numbers in one of baseballs worst hitters park and without any supporting cast whatsoever. Sox were so banged up last season just being healthy would have be a improvement this year. The fact that they upgraded during the winter ensures that they are a better team on paper than last season.

Yanks will be fine as well but may have to trade Montero for a SP unless one of the highly touted kids is ready by mid season.

ERA by Month:

April, May and August were all good months. Like I previously stated now that he isn't skipping starts, etc, it will be easier for him to stay in a prolonged groove.

Bucholz came back to earth in 2008. Since mid-season 2009, he has been solid as he enters his prime.

Lester hit or miss? :rl: Yeah, I will take that hit or miss. :rolleyes:

I get it...Buccholz is entering his prime, but Hughes is a roll of the dice.....Gotcha Slappy :blink:

Hughes K's more guys and walks less guys, but Buchholz was reaaaaally stingy with the HRs last year...and he destroys Hughes in getting groundballs.

I really like Hughes though...Yankee Stadium isn't the best play for a RH pitcher and he's really young still.

Buchholz is more of a ground ball pitcher than Hughes is however he's not an extreme ground ball pitcher and his home run rate is pretty unsustainable.

Archived