L COLES - OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT

Maxman

March 9, 2005

NEW YORK JETS

An Interview With:

LAVERANUES COLES

RON COLANGELO: Good evening, everyone, and welcome. We really appreciate you joining us at this time of the evening, but we would like to announce that we have re-acquired wide receiver Laveranues Coles from Washington in exchange for Santana Moss. We did e-mail the press release as well as a quote from quarterback Chad Pennington. If you did not receive it, please call us back and let us know and we will get that to you.

So at this time what I'd like to do is open up with questions for Laveranues who is seated here and we are at the complex, so we will open up. Q. I hear you're excited to be back with the Jets; is that true?

LAVERANUES COLES: Of course. I mean, very excited about being back with Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin and the numerous other guys that we have here.

Q. What about the whole development was the most attractive to you in returning to the Jets when you finally weighed the options?

LAVERANUES COLES: I mean, just the fact that they keep it family-oriented here was a first. The guys here are all excited being here and that's what's important. When I was here I really enjoyed myself. This is where I started and I had a great relationship with everyone here, so it was very good for me to come back.

Q. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Mike Heimerdinger's system, but obviously he likes to throw the ball down the field a lot. How excited are you to play in his system?

LAVERANUES COLES: Very excited. This is an opportunity for me to come in and be able to make plays and help the team. I'm going to find out where I fit in and what my role is on this team and I will go from there.

Q. You obviously had a great chemistry with Chad the first time around. Two years removed from that, how quickly do you think it would take to get that chemistry back?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, I mean, I don't know. Hopefully you would hope that it would come back immediately but I'm not going to say that. I'm just going to say that it's something that we're going to have to get back out on the field and feel our way through. I'm hoping to come back real soon.

Q. What does it say about you that you could not play for a Hall of Fame coach who had three Super Bowl rings?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, I mean, I'm sorry you have to ask me these kinds of questions but, I mean, it doesn't say -- I don't think it says anything about me. It just says what kind of person are you.

Q. Why does it say what kind of person am I?

LAVERANUES COLES: I mean, why would you even put me on the spot like that?

Q. My job is to ask the questions. I can't worry about putting you on the spot.

LAVERANUES COLES: Okay. Well, my job is to not answer questions that I don't want to answer.

Q. Maybe you can answer this way. In Washington, you signed a very lucrative contract a couple of years ago and you did catch 90 balls last year, which a lot of receivers would kill for. What was it that just wasn't right for you in Washington?

LAVERANUES COLES: I just wasn't comfortable, and I'm going to leave it at that.

Q. At what point during this process -- you know, it took so many different turns. At what point did you feel confident in your mind that this was actually going to get done, or do you remember what day it was or how you came to conclude that?

LAVERANUES COLES: Really, you never know during this whole process. I mean, it wavers. You never know for sure until it's actually done.

I didn't know it was over until today when they announced it and I took my physical. So, you never know until it's actually over with.

Q. Why was it necessary for you to get a

new contract when you had five years to go on a seven-year deal?

LAVERANUES COLES: I choose not to answer that question.

Q. Are surprised the Redskins traded you and let you basically go where you wanted to go?

LAVERANUES COLES: No, I'm not surprised. They are a very understanding organization and they are very down-to-earth people, and they were very good to me in giving me an opportunity to come back to where I wanted to go. That shows the type of people they are and Coach Gibbs and what type of character he has.

Q. When you left here, I think you were a little upset that the Jets didn't make more of an effort to keep you; how do you feel about that now, given that they turned around a couple of years later and wanted to bring you back?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, back then I was very immature about the business side of it and now I understand it, and I apologized a little while ago for saying the things I said. But I think my emotions got involved and I said some things I shouldn't have said.

Q. How is your toe doing and has that situation been accurately portrayed in the media?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, I'll leave that to the doctors discuss, but I did pass my physical today.

Q. Are you going to have surgery on that toe?

LAVERANUES COLES: I'll leave that for the doctors.

Q. You said before and just now that you

were emotional the last time you left the Jets. Do you feel like you let your emotions get the better of you at all with the Redskins situation?

LAVERANUES COLES: I feel like I matured quite a bit and I didn't understand the business side of it back then, but now I pretty much understand it and understand how it works. My relationship with the Redskins is not bad. We have a great relationship, Coach Gibbs; the last time we talked, we were on very good terms.

Q. Do you think you put Santana Moss under some serious pressure trying to live up to what you did down there??

LAVERANUES COLES: I think Santana is a great player and I think Santana is going to flourish in that offense.

Q. You talked about how you had a good relationship with a lot of teammates in Washington, but by what you did, they took a $9 million cap hit and they won't be able to do anything to improve their team. How do you feel about that in relation to your ex-teammates?

LAVERANUES COLES: I mean, that's a front office decision. That has nothing to do with me. I don't make those decisions.

Q. Have you spoken with Chad? I assume you have today or at some point.

LAVERANUES COLES: I just gave him a big hug.

Q. When was that?

LAVERANUES COLES: Probably about ten minutes ago.

Q. Was that the first time -- when was the last time you saw him before today in person?

LAVERANUES COLES: Since we played the Jets I think, a couple of years ago. We've always been in contact over the phone but we haven't seen each other since then.

Q. Prior to today had you guys talked on the phone during this trade process?

LAVERANUES COLES: Yes.

Q. When things looked bleak and it didn't look like the trade was going to happen, was he trying to lobby for you to get here?

LAVERANUES COLES: Could I hear a name, please?

Q. Me? It's Rich Cimini at the New York Daily News. I was just wondering if he talked to you during the process to maybe get you to come here more or what was that like?

LAVERANUES COLES: He didn't have to do that. I wanted to be here. Any time you have a quarterback like Chad Pennington at the helm, who would not want to come and play with him?

Q. How did you enjoy playing for Herm the first time around and how excited are you to play for him again?

LAVERANUES COLES: He's a players' coach and he's a great guy and I'm excited to be back.

Q. What's the big difference between Gibbs and Herm as far as coaching is concerned, their different styles, and why do you think you are a better fit for Herm?

LAVERANUES COLES: I think Coach Herm is headed towards the Hall of Fame. Coach Gibbs is already in the Hall of Fame, and they both have two different coaching styles and they are both great guys.

Q. Why will Santana flourish in that offense if you don't think it was good for you?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, I just feel like we're both good players. I feel like I flourished in it, so I feel like he will.

Q. If you feel like you flourished, why do you feel like you wanted to get out of it? Why would you want to get out of something you were flourishing in?

LAVERANUES COLES: Like I said, I wasn't comfortable and I'm going to leave it like that.

Q. You've already talked about hopefully that the chemistry with Chad picks up where it left off. However, I'm sure you're aware he has a shoulder situation that he's rehabbing. Is that going to, do you think, make it even more complicated to get on the same page with him since you may not be able to do any pitch-and-catch with him until July and even August maybe?

LAVERANUES COLES: I think with Chad's determination, I think we'll be just fine. He's a great player. His heart is in it, and his arm is just put up right now. Once he breaks it out, I think everything, it will all follow.

Q. Would you have reported to the Jets if you didn't get the new contract?

LAVERANUES COLES: No comment.

Q. With the toe injury, did you think that was a factor at all in the fact that your yards-per-catch was down last year and you only had one touchdown? Did that maybe hinder some of your breakaway speed?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, all I can tell you to do is watch the film after this year and we'll go from there.

Q. We're not allowed to talk to the doctors with the Jets. With the toe, will you require a cortisone shot to play next year?

LAVERANUES COLES: If you're not allowed to talk to the doctors, and I'm not allowed to talk about it, you aren

March 9, 2005

NEW YORK JETS

An Interview With:

LAVERANUES COLES

RON COLANGELO: Good evening, everyone, and welcome. We really appreciate you joining us at this time of the evening, but we would like to announce that we have re-acquired wide receiver Laveranues Coles from Washington in exchange for Santana Moss. We did e-mail the press release as well as a quote from quarterback Chad Pennington. If you did not receive it, please call us back and let us know and we will get that to you.

So at this time what I'd like to do is open up with questions for Laveranues who is seated here and we are at the complex, so we will open up. Q. I hear you're excited to be back with the Jets; is that true?

LAVERANUES COLES: Of course. I mean, very excited about being back with Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin and the numerous other guys that we have here.

Q. What about the whole development was the most attractive to you in returning to the Jets when you finally weighed the options?

LAVERANUES COLES: I mean, just the fact that they keep it family-oriented here was a first. The guys here are all excited being here and that's what's important. When I was here I really enjoyed myself. This is where I started and I had a great relationship with everyone here, so it was very good for me to come back.

Q. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Mike Heimerdinger's system, but obviously he likes to throw the ball down the field a lot. How excited are you to play in his system?

LAVERANUES COLES: Very excited. This is an opportunity for me to come in and be able to make plays and help the team. I'm going to find out where I fit in and what my role is on this team and I will go from there.

Q. You obviously had a great chemistry with Chad the first time around. Two years removed from that, how quickly do you think it would take to get that chemistry back?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, I mean, I don't know. Hopefully you would hope that it would come back immediately but I'm not going to say that. I'm just going to say that it's something that we're going to have to get back out on the field and feel our way through. I'm hoping to come back real soon.

Q. What does it say about you that you could not play for a Hall of Fame coach who had three Super Bowl rings?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, I mean, I'm sorry you have to ask me these kinds of questions but, I mean, it doesn't say -- I don't think it says anything about me. It just says what kind of person are you.

Q. My job is to ask the questions. I can't worry about putting you on the spot.

LAVERANUES COLES: Okay. Well, my job is to not answer questions that I don't want to answer.

Q. Maybe you can answer this way. In Washington, you signed a very lucrative contract a couple of years ago and you did catch 90 balls last year, which a lot of receivers would kill for. What was it that just wasn't right for you in Washington?

LAVERANUES COLES: I just wasn't comfortable, and I'm going to leave it at that.

Q. At what point during this process -- you know, it took so many different turns. At what point did you feel confident in your mind that this was actually going to get done, or do you remember what day it was or how you came to conclude that?

LAVERANUES COLES: Really, you never know during this whole process. I mean, it wavers. You never know for sure until it's actually done.

I didn't know it was over until today when they announced it and I took my physical. So, you never know until it's actually over with.

Q. Why was it necessary for you to get a

new contract when you had five years to go on a seven-year deal?

LAVERANUES COLES: I choose not to answer that question.

Q. Are surprised the Redskins traded you and let you basically go where you wanted to go?

LAVERANUES COLES: No, I'm not surprised. They are a very understanding organization and they are very down-to-earth people, and they were very good to me in giving me an opportunity to come back to where I wanted to go. That shows the type of people they are and Coach Gibbs and what type of character he has.

Q. When you left here, I think you were a little upset that the Jets didn't make more of an effort to keep you; how do you feel about that now, given that they turned around a couple of years later and wanted to bring you back?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, back then I was very immature about the business side of it and now I understand it, and I apologized a little while ago for saying the things I said. But I think my emotions got involved and I said some things I shouldn't have said.

Q. How is your toe doing and has that situation been accurately portrayed in the media?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, I'll leave that to the doctors discuss, but I did pass my physical today.

Q. Are you going to have surgery on that toe?

LAVERANUES COLES: I'll leave that for the doctors.

Q. You said before and just now that you

were emotional the last time you left the Jets. Do you feel like you let your emotions get the better of you at all with the Redskins situation?

LAVERANUES COLES: I feel like I matured quite a bit and I didn't understand the business side of it back then, but now I pretty much understand it and understand how it works. My relationship with the Redskins is not bad. We have a great relationship, Coach Gibbs; the last time we talked, we were on very good terms.

Q. Do you think you put Santana Moss under some serious pressure trying to live up to what you did down there??

LAVERANUES COLES: I think Santana is a great player and I think Santana is going to flourish in that offense.

Q. You talked about how you had a good relationship with a lot of teammates in Washington, but by what you did, they took a $9 million cap hit and they won't be able to do anything to improve their team. How do you feel about that in relation to your ex-teammates?

LAVERANUES COLES: I mean, that's a front office decision. That has nothing to do with me. I don't make those decisions.

Q. Have you spoken with Chad? I assume you have today or at some point.

LAVERANUES COLES: I just gave him a big hug.

Q. When was that?

LAVERANUES COLES: Probably about ten minutes ago.

Q. Was that the first time -- when was the last time you saw him before today in person?

LAVERANUES COLES: Since we played the Jets I think, a couple of years ago. We've always been in contact over the phone but we haven't seen each other since then.

Q. Prior to today had you guys talked on the phone during this trade process?

LAVERANUES COLES: Yes.

Q. When things looked bleak and it didn't look like the trade was going to happen, was he trying to lobby for you to get here?

LAVERANUES COLES: Could I hear a name, please?

Q. Me? It's Rich Cimini at the New York Daily News. I was just wondering if he talked to you during the process to maybe get you to come here more or what was that like?

LAVERANUES COLES: He didn't have to do that. I wanted to be here. Any time you have a quarterback like Chad Pennington at the helm, who would not want to come and play with him?

Q. How did you enjoy playing for Herm the first time around and how excited are you to play for him again?

LAVERANUES COLES: He's a players' coach and he's a great guy and I'm excited to be back.

Q. What's the big difference between Gibbs and Herm as far as coaching is concerned, their different styles, and why do you think you are a better fit for Herm?

LAVERANUES COLES: I think Coach Herm is headed towards the Hall of Fame. Coach Gibbs is already in the Hall of Fame, and they both have two different coaching styles and they are both great guys.

Q. Why will Santana flourish in that offense if you don't think it was good for you?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, I just feel like we're both good players. I feel like I flourished in it, so I feel like he will.

Q. If you feel like you flourished, why do you feel like you wanted to get out of it? Why would you want to get out of something you were flourishing in?

LAVERANUES COLES: Like I said, I wasn't comfortable and I'm going to leave it like that.

Q. You've already talked about hopefully that the chemistry with Chad picks up where it left off. However, I'm sure you're aware he has a shoulder situation that he's rehabbing. Is that going to, do you think, make it even more complicated to get on the same page with him since you may not be able to do any pitch-and-catch with him until July and even August maybe?

LAVERANUES COLES: I think with Chad's determination, I think we'll be just fine. He's a great player. His heart is in it, and his arm is just put up right now. Once he breaks it out, I think everything, it will all follow.

Q. Would you have reported to the Jets if you didn't get the new contract?

LAVERANUES COLES: No comment.

Q. With the toe injury, did you think that was a factor at all in the fact that your yards-per-catch was down last year and you only had one touchdown? Did that maybe hinder some of your breakaway speed?

LAVERANUES COLES: Well, all I can tell you to do is watch the film after this year and we'll go from there.

Q. We're not allowed to talk to the doctors with the Jets. With the toe, will you require a cortisone shot to play next year?

LAVERANUES COLES: If you're not allowed to talk to the doctors, and I'm not allowed to talk about it, you aren

March 9, 2005

NEW YORK JETS

An Interview With:

LAVERANUES COLES

Those are some rough questions by The Media. Sounds like a CMINI special.

Coles is a tough guy to figure out.

On one hand, He's loved and respected big time by his coaching staff and by his teammates. Two classy guys like Pennington and Martin love him to death.

On the other hand. He battles the front offices and takes on the media.

He seems like a selfish player that is out for himself and money BUT YET... Noone works harder than him or cares more about winning than him.

This is a guy who despite being in a losing situation, the last two years. He put everything he had into his job.

The guy played on one foot the entire season last year.

The Jets wanted him for a reason. They gave up a good WR to get him because of how highly they feel about him.

All, I know is that after The 2002 season. Edwards called him the team mvp, on and off the field.

Different people have different opinions but to me Coles is a #1 WR. I said that after The 2002 season and got into a boatload of arguments when I blasted Bradway for letting him go.

Truth is since 2002, Coles has missed us and The Jets have missed him. That's why, He's back.

Well said YJF.

TRUTH !!!

... i also take to heart what he said regarding the business side of NFL ... he realizes that the jets, herm, chad, curtis, everyone ... loved what he brought to the table on sunday ... it would have been a fiscally irresponsible decision to match the contract that washington paid him as a franchise ... while he still wants to get his money ... he understands now, that it was not disrespect for him & what he gave ... it was a decision of the team as a whole vs. a great wr ...

... welcome back L-C ... i missed you ...

... p.s. L-C-Rules !!

l_c_r :)

EXACTLY YJF I couldn't be any happier about our team right now(well maybe I would be if I were in Seymours or Tex's position-ahem)but I LOVE this move and think the media were pretty tough on him.He's what,27?Give the kid a break we're going places with this team I'm telling you I FEEL it Tex Patfan in 5-4-3-2

Way to go Max!! First you steal Sooth's best

posters and now his interview! Your my type of

thief!! :wink:

WAIT till you see what he :wink: stole..I MEAN has coming in JULY...whooooo hoooo..I LOVE MAX my best damn IRISHMAN EVER!!!!I will smooch you, but no swapin spit..you did take that VOW..FORESAKIN ALL others even BRENJETSFAN!!! :oops:

Way to go Max!! First you steal Sooth's best

posters and now his interview! Your my type of

thief!! :wink:

Bro...I know you are busting my balls. But I am going to answer this seriously anyhow.

I will never cut and paste from that site on to here. Wouldn't do it. I got this transcript from the Jets themselves via email. I took a few minutes to clean it up (space it out) and then posted it here. I have no idea if the same thing was posted over there. I will say this, I got the email and had the thread started in a few minutes time.

I don't agree with the stealing the best posters line either. We didn't limit our membership to the best posters only. Why do you think your account was approved? :lol:

WAIT till you see what he :wink: stole..I MEAN has coming in JULY...whooooo hoooo..I LOVE MAX my best damn IRISHMAN EVER!!!!I will smooch you, but no swapin spit..you did take that VOW..FORESAKIN ALL others even BRENJETSFAN!!! :oops:

Did Bren just mention my foreskin?

Archived