The 2010 NFL Draft

DonCorleone

1. Wilson---Incomplete

2. Ducasse---Incomplete

4. McKnight---Incomplete

5. Connor---Incomplete

Let the kids develope

I think overall that is the concern for many get fans. We got rid of Faneca, and drafted a project. We got rid of TJ and signed LT, but how long will that work? McKnight is another project, not ready to replace that missing piece.

Connor is probably the most ready of the bunch and Wilson probably has the most time of the bunch. Whatever we draft next year (DT, Safety) hopefully will be ready to contribute ASAP.

As far as DL next year, the Jets are loaded at DL

Dixon

Gilbert

DeVito

Kroul

Tovaseu

Pito

Gholston

We need LB and DB help

dixon actually played at PIT... he got blown away on Goalline (where Wayne Hunter usually plays). I don't think the Jets can expect much from him, Pool Boy or Kroul. Pito is coming off a huge injury, Ellis' contract is up... I could see them very easily going for DE next year.

dixon actually played at PIT... he got blown away on Goalline (where Wayne Hunter usually plays). I don't think the Jets can expect much from him, Pool Boy or Kroul. Pito is coming off a huge injury, Ellis' contract is up... I could see them very easily going for DE next year.

And the questions is what do you think we need most of all.

The Jets are getting very little contributions from "fringe" players. This team seems totally reliant on the star power in order to make plays.

Usually, you start to see some strong unexpected contributions, particularly on a team that is loaded with big names. But the Jets are not getting that.

Don't know why.

The Jets are getting very little contributions from "fringe" players. This team seems totally reliant on the star power in order to make plays.

Usually, you start to see some strong unexpected contributions, particularly on a team that is loaded with big names. But the Jets are not getting that.

Don't know why.

Iggy #44

He played D line? Where does Hunter usually play on D line? I have seen Turner #75 play DT, but I have not noticed Hunter. Jenkins should be on the list of potentials also. Not likely, but he's got as good a shot of contributing as those above.

Don't know why.

It's because the board thinks everybody is "big name". How many games did Lowery finish? How many strips did Coleman have? They are our 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 CBs. Jason Taylor is our 5th LB and he has a safety and game ending sack. They are only carrying 3 1/2 WR and 2 RB, there aren't many fringe guys in playmaking roles, but how many plays has Brad Smith made? He's our #4 WR.

Very rarely do rookies contribute in a big way early.

THat being said, I'm glad our rooks don't need to step right up

As far as DL next year, the Jets are loaded at DL

Dixon

Gilbert

DeVito

Kroul

Tovaseu

Pito

Gholston

We need LB and DB help

That's loaded? Who are half these guys?

Personally, long term I think all these guys from 2010 will be alright. Wilson should be a decent corner who can play outside or be a really strong nickel back. Conner has alot of upside at FB, and I'm curious to see how he's used in the long run...I'm also not sure what he's done to make him the #1 contributor from this draft...McKnight's done more on STs and Wilson's seen the field more than any of them. Ducasse should be a solid OL unless he blows up in size or injury. I'm on the long run McKnight bandwagon...he's been extremely impressive on STs these past 3-4 weeks and I think he can be a jack of all trades type playmaker.

And the questions is what do you think we need most of all.

im gonna dodge that question and say the first round crop of 3-4 DE is excellent. Like once in 10 years loaded. So if there was a year to re-load at DL, this would be the year.

the draft is not like going to the grocery store with a list for bread, eggs and milk and coming home with all three. Sometimes the milk is bad and eggs are re-called and they only have bread. I'd feel safer drafting a 3-4 DE in late round 1 this year than any other position.

we need a passrusher and a safety. We should draft olb and think about signing merriman just to see if he has anything left after all these injuries. Also may want to consider drafting a RB in the later rounds if mcknight doesnt work out. I really don't have alot of confidence in Greene to be a premier back thus far.

im gonna dodge that question and say the first round crop of 3-4 DE is excellent. Like once in 10 years loaded. So if there was a year to re-load at DL, this would be the year.

the draft is not like going to the grocery store with a list for bread, eggs and milk and coming home with all three. Sometimes the milk is bad and eggs are re-called and they only have bread. I'd feel safer drafting a 3-4 DE in late round 1 this year than any other position.

medium_cameron%20heyward.jpg

Ftw.

Bologna! Gholston is thisclose to being a superstar. I think the Jets need two safeties this off-season. Dos.

I like what I've seen from Wilson lately. He's coming along and made a nice play on a crossing route this past week. McKnight has looked great on special teams and should eventually come into the fold at RB next year. Ducasse was always a project picked on long term potential and Connor will be a starting full time stud at FB next year. Not too bad of a draft I say. Give it time.

1. Wilson---Incomplete

2. Ducasse---Incomplete

4. McKnight---Incomplete

5. Connor---Incomplete

Let the kids develope

Agreed. In my opinion, if our team is on pace for 10-12 wins, their 2nd playoff berth in 2 years, then I think we have finally become the type of team that does NOT need immediate contributions from rookies.

Don't know why.

I thought a fringe player had a nice knockdown to end the game in Pitt. The fringe guy at LG seemed to have a good game as well. Brad Smith is paid like a fringe player, he did well. And I would have to watch the game again but my first reaction was that Wayne Hunter had an un-fringe like game at Tackle for Woody and that Robert Turner who seems fringey didn't exhibit fringe qualities as he played the tackle \ tight end eligible role.

I thought a fringe player had a nice knockdown to end the game in Pitt. The fringe guy at LG seemed to have a good game as well. Brad Smith is paid like a fringe player, he did well. And I would have to watch the game again but my first reaction was that Wayne Hunter had an un-fringe like game at Tackle for Woody and that Robert Turner who seems fringey didn't exhibit fringe qualities as he played the tackle \ tight end eligible role.

Aside from Brad Smith, what "fringe" player has been consistent all year long in giving huge contributions?

In other words, what player is outperforming his contract by leaps and bounds?

Is is my opinion, one of the worst in Jets history. So far, little or no contributions from the youngsters.

Am I missing anyone that is actually working out for us?

It would be different if they were actually asked to contribute...but they are not. Wilson is the only one that has been asked to contribute and has when necessary. He's made some good plays. They handled him wrong. Welcoming him to the league by putting him one on one with Boldin was stupid. He was mentally shot after that whipping.

The rest of them have starters in front of them and arent asked to do much. Why not wait to grade them out once they've played. Luckily the Jets didnt have any glaring holes...you could argue safety, but I think they really believed they had a player in Pool.

McKnight has been very good on specials. Connor's had some moments but I expect learning from T. Rich doesnt hurt. Vlad was a project from day 1, but I trust Callahan can make him a player...the same way Slauson is coming along nicely.

The NYJETS need to start drafting serviceable and ready now players. Who scouts the talent? I would give them a Grade of F.

Really? I think this is the first bad draft in a few years...and I dont even consider it a bad draft yet because who knows how much these guys are going to contribute in these last two games and in the playoffs and more importantly the next few years.

I don't get the unbelievable hate for this draft in 8 months time. Just look at them each individually, and I'm not sure what there's to be that upset about.

Kyle Wilson - Had a rough start and Ryan admittedly said he handled the situation wrong. He was bumped down the depth chart for a while, but worked his way back up the depth chart. Since he's earned himself more playing time he's played really well as the Jets nickleback. He's shown great improvement since where he was at early in the season. What else would you ask of him considering he's behind Revis and Cromartie on the depth chart?

Vlad Ducasse - Admittedly hasn't done much and was buried as the #8 OL behind the starting 5, Turner and Hunter. Got beat out for the starting job by Slauson and is behind two pretty good backups. Is a disappointment probably mostly due to the fact that he was so hyped up when it was reported the Jets were thinking of taking him in round 1. This guy was a small-school, long-term prospect from the start and still is. Tough to say much about him this early on.

Joe McKnight - Had a rough start and got a lot of heat early for it, but has really turned it around. Since then, he's gotten it together and not only got out of the coaches doghouse, but has gotten himself playing time. Went from being seen as a guy who had all the talent in the world, but wasn't willing to put in the work, to excelling in an area of football that's more about hard work and just outfighting the other guy than anything else. He's been nothing short of awesome on special teams these past few weeks. Hasn't done much at RB, but is also stuck behind LT and Greene who they've had a tough enough time getting enough carries without another RB in the mix. The Jets also haven't exactly had many comfortable leads in which to bring him in and get him more reps late in games.

John Conner - Has been shown laying the wood repeatedly through his rookie year. Plays well on ST as well as rotating in with Tony Richardson (a team leader and highly regarded at his position) at FB. Not too shabby for a 5th round pick.

Again, in 8 months time while there's nothing to be in love with, to talk about how horrible this draft was is a bit much.

Aside from Brad Smith, what "fringe" player has been consistent all year long in giving huge contributions?

In other words, what player is outperforming his contract by leaps and bounds?

James Ibhegigbbbooooo

Sione Pouha

Mike Devito

Antonio Cromartie

Brandon Moore

Ben Hartsock

Steve Weatherford

to name a few...

^i agree except for Hartsock who's a critical penalty waiting to happen and sorry but Weatherford won't get any love from me especially after the New England game.

Weatherford was a major factor in beating Pitt and has kicked well for most of the year.

Weatherford was a major factor in beating Pitt and has kicked well for most of the year.

He's been great pinning teams at the goalline but his leg has been inconsistent is what I'm saying. I don't consider the guy a "great" spend as within the context of this thread. His first kick in Pitt was sh*t as well. And that NE game was like a dagger in the heart. He's been good but I don't think he's "outperforming his contract leaps and bounds" is all.

He's been great pinning teams at the goalline but his leg has been inconsistent is what I'm saying. I don't consider the guy a "great" spend as within the context of this thread. His first kick in Pitt was sh*t as well. And that NE game was like a dagger in the heart. He's been good but I don't think he's "outperforming his contract leaps and bounds" is all.

Perhaps, but I'm glad the Jets have him. There are very few even decent punters in the NFL these days. Every punter has their bad kicks and their bad games, but it's a matter of how often they are and how well they do otherwise. The fact is, Weatherford has his ups and downs but is still the best punter the Jets have had in a loooong time. Do we so quickly forget how bad a lot of these guys were? We were seeing shanks like that or worse on a weekly basis out of pretty much all of these guys. He's nothing special but I'm not sure if you can say more than 1 or 2 punters in the whole league are. He was still a great pickup by the Jets.

Archived