Tomlin Admits Steelers' Were Given Free 1st Down

JetsFan220

Also, bad job by the Jets IF they didn't complain to the NFL about this.

Every week teams are supposed to submit a memo to the league concerning the officiating, detailing calls the team believes were made incorrectly.

Also, bad job by the Jets IF they didn't complain to the NFL about this.

Every week teams are supposed to submit a memo to the league concerning the officiating, detailing calls the team believes were made incorrectly.

You are right, and maybe they did, but another coach coming out and saying it should be enough for the league to look into it and question the officials. Its not like it was a blown PI call or something, its pretty standard 10 yards = 1st down

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/13538/Steelers-mistakenly-given-first-down-Sunday/Default.aspx

I am glad Tomlin stepped up and said something, but bad job by the NFL not addressing this issue.

Are you kidding? The NFL actually admitting they are in collusion with the Refs in constantly making terrible calls against the Jets? Say it aint so!! It's not like this is the 1st time the NFL has tried to shield themselves from this type of "behavior".

You are right, and maybe they did, but another coach coming out and saying it should be enough for the league to look into it and question the officials. Its not like it was a blown PI call or something, its pretty standard 10 yards = 1st down

I agree with you, JF.

If anything, Tomlin just made the NFL look bad by coming clean. Stand-up thing for Tomlin and you can see him trying to make an excuse for the officials. But, really, that was inexcusable.

Also, the refs are permitted to look at replay on their own for time and distance issues to correct an error. They don't need a challenge. The chain gang had to know they screwed up, but I think they glossed over it.

it happened twice that i know of....

That's inexcusable and the officials involved should have been fired after the game, period. That is pure incompetence, like a teacher that doesn't know how to spell. I mean come on.

Now why in @#$%! did Rex or any Jets coach on the sideline not run out to the officals to complain? Rex could have at least thrown the red flag to get their attention and I don't that would have cost them a challenge. Or did nobody on the Jets sideline see this happening?

I don't think Rex cared much when they gave the 9 yard 1st down. I'd prefer to defend 1st and 10 to 2nd and 1. He might feel the same. OTOH, I don't see how the refs didn't catch that. They even stopped the snap to move the chains and all. Seemed like they had every opportunity to get it right and screwed it up worse. There were other bad spots, but a bad spot is a bad spot, a 9 yard first down is beyond a normal error in judgment.

Archived