The Last Snow Storm of 2010

visajets

Is it just me, or did it seem like the clean-up was absolutely half-assed today? I drive from Putnam County down into Connecticut and I can't remember the roads being left this shi**y, ever. I know these state agencies are having money issues, but the driving today was total bullsh*t.

It was half-assed everywhere apparently. In NYC Bloomberg was getting grilled by the media because of the late plowing, Sanitation trucks stuck in the snow, subway shutdowns, trapped buses, etc.

It was half-assed everywhere apparently. In NYC Bloomberg was getting grilled by the media because of the late plowing, Sanitation trucks stuck in the snow, subway shutdowns, trapped buses, etc.

Problem in NYC is Mayor Moneybags, fresh off having his cronies scam $80 million for a nonworking timeclock system, demoted 100 Sanitation supervisors and at the same time has tried to cut their OT. In the old days, SanMen called snow White Gold, and so what, it was a good deal for everyone; they got paid, the City got cleaned up. So the SanMen have decided to work at a slow, steady pace rather than break their asses as they would if significant overtime was authorized. Also, Bloomturd thought it would be a great idea to replace nasty, gas-guzzling 4 WD SUVs with hybrid cars. They don't go very far on days like today. There are city vehicles along with private ones stuck all over the place. EMS response times are now beyond scary.

My block in Brooklyn looks like something out of "The Shining" when Jack whacked the Scatman. Not sure they could plow it because the snow dunes, 3-4 feet high, are now frozen such you don't sink when you walk on them.

Problem in NYC is Mayor Moneybags, fresh off having his cronies scam $80 million for a nonworking timeclock system, demoted 100 Sanitation supervisors and at the same time has tried to cut their OT. In the old days, SanMen called snow White Gold, and so what, it was a good deal for everyone; they got paid, the City got cleaned up. So the SanMen have decided to work at a slow, steady pace rather than break their asses as they would if significant overtime was authorized. Also, Bloomturd thought it would be a great idea to replace nasty, gas-guzzling 4 WD SUVs with hybrid cars. They don't go very far on days like today. There are city vehicles along with private ones stuck all over the place. EMS response times are now beyond scary.

My block in Brooklyn looks like something out of "The Shining" when Jack whacked the Scatman. Not sure they could plow it because the snow dunes, 3-4 feet high, are now frozen such you don't sink when you walk on them.

Same In queens. My street and major roadways and blvds are yet to be plowed. But of course Madison Avenue and 5th Avenue look like there wasnt a snow storm at all. You know outer boros are Manhattans bitch. Sad but that's life. *Sigh*

this post makes me feel the opposite of what you probably intended..

this post makes me feel the opposite of what you probably intended..

Suspect you are warm and elsewhere.

schadenfreude

"malicious joy in the misfortunes of others," 1922, from Ger., lit. "damage-joy," from schaden "damage, harm, injury" (see scathe) + freude , from O.H.G. frewida "joy," from fro "happy," lit. "hopping for joy," from P.Gmc. *frawa- (see frolic).

"What a fearful thing is it that any language should have a word expressive of the pleasure which men feel at the calamities of others; for the existence of the word bears testimony to the existence of the thing. And yet in more than one such a word is found. ... In the Greek epikhairekakia, in the German, 'Schadenfreude.' " [Richard C. Trench, "On the Study of Words," 1852]

Suspect you are warm and elsewhere.

schadenfreude

"malicious joy in the misfortunes of others," 1922, from Ger., lit. "damage-joy," from schaden "damage, harm, injury" (see scathe) + freude , from O.H.G. frewida "joy," from fro "happy," lit. "hopping for joy," from P.Gmc. *frawa- (see frolic).

"What a fearful thing is it that any language should have a word expressive of the pleasure which men feel at the calamities of others; for the existence of the word bears testimony to the existence of the thing. And yet in more than one such a word is found. ... In the Greek epikhairekakia, in the German, 'Schadenfreude.' " [Richard C. Trench, "On the Study of Words," 1852]

I feel bad for the tax payers whose streets aren't plowed cause of some lazy-in being staged

My town isnt great with snow removal. They are good and they work hard but the money (budget) sets the tone. The next town over is excellent at snow removal and they pay a lot more each year.

Our taxes are much lower than that town. So all things considered I like they way they do it.

NYC is a bit of a different issue though. But if anyone has ever budgeted for even the smallest of commercial ventures, it is mind boggling how much snow removal costs.

My town isnt great with snow removal. They are good and they work hard but the money (budget) sets the tone. The next town over is excellent at snow removal and they pay a lot more each year.

Our taxes are much lower than that town. So all things considered I like they way they do it.

NYC is a bit of a different issue though. But if anyone has ever budgeted for even the smallest of commercial ventures, it is mind boggling how much snow removal costs.

This is so true. most towns have to hire sub contractors to help out in situations like this. the problem is that some politicians dont like the price tag associated with that pricey help. so they make the guys who are stretched too thin already work longer hours, which makes some people getting their streets cleaned a lot later.

I have plowed in blizzards worse than this. the one in january 96 dropped 3ft of snow and I287 was shut down..gas stations and restaurants were closed because of no fuel or food. you cant rush in a storm like this.. because you cant keep up with it anyways when it snows that hard.

While its not the 25-30 inches you guys got up there, I got around 16 inches at my house, and the official measurement in town was 15.5 -- a ton for us in Eastern NC.

However, the son of a friend of our family decided to go back up to NYC Sunday morning...left at 8 AM, even though we told him he wouldn't make it back in time. He decided to be stubborn, and called his mom around 6 or so saying there were going 5 mph down the turnpike. Eventually came to a standstill, they got out and walked to a Home Depot or something to stay warm for a little while. Just awful stuff up there. Another friend in Boston measured 28 inches. Crazy stuff. I've actually seen more snow down this way once, but this kind of storm is a rare thing...only a couple in your life time kind of thing.

Hope everyone up there is well.

This is so true. most towns have to hire sub contractors to help out in situations like this. the problem is that some politicians dont like the price tag associated with that pricey help. so they make the guys who are stretched too thin already work longer hours, which makes some people getting their streets cleaned a lot later.

I have plowed in blizzards worse than this. the one in january 96 dropped 3ft of snow and I287 was shut down..gas stations and restaurants were closed because of no fuel or food. you cant rush in a storm like this.. because you cant keep up with it anyways when it snows that hard.

In '96 I was living in Plainsboro. The snow drifts off of the farms was INSANE. Between 900 and 1000 feet high if my memory serves me correctly. Although maybe it wasn't quite that high. :D

I had a sheet of ice on my windshield driving to work this morning. You may say BIG F'ING DEAL, but it is. I live in S. Fla. WTF is going on? Its the end of the world as we know it..

Al, any kind of cold is a big deal to you ;) T-Mac loves this kind of weather! you on the other hand..lol

JetsSteelers002.jpg

Archived