Getting tired of Rex saying...

4HCrew

it's the players to me. if rex had the horses he would have the defense #1 like last year.

do posters here really think he forgot how to coach defense or that offenses only this season figured out to beat a blitz you attack the man to man coverage ?

really ?

then answer this

why couldn't offenses figure out how to beat rex's schemes and coaching when he had ray lewis and ed reed ?

I mean the TD on lowery would have been an INT or incomplete if he doesn't fall on his ******* face. I guess rex should have called a scheme where he doesn't fall on his ******* face

Personnel is definitely the main issue. Our front seven needs some upgrades in order to generate a conventional pass rush, that's for sure. Safety is also an issue, especially with Leonhard out.

But you have to admit, we got alot more pressure on the QB last year before we brought in two players that everybody thought would help generate even more pressure this year (Taylor and Cromartie) and that hasn't happened.

I do think part of it has been that alot of the league has definitely gone to school on the overload blitz, and teams are better prepared for it. However, I would agree that most of it is personnel related. There is no question that opposing QB's have had alot more time this year throwing the football, especially in key passing situations.

Who keeps calling the defense great though?

I don't give a rats a$$ to be honest.

he coached them up to #1 last year, take away talent on the line and in the secondary and you get the #5- ish defense this year

in my lifetime, no jets defense has ever ranked in the top 5 in consecutive years

he can call them his fairy princesses for all I care

I don't give a rats a$$ to be honest.

he coached them up to #1 last year, take away talent on the line and in the secondary and you get the #5- ish defense this year

in my lifetime, no jets defense has ever ranked in the top 5 in consecutive years

he can call them his fairy princesses for all I care

You're missing the point. he is making game decisions based on him (Rex) actually thinking this defense is great. get it? I wasnt talking about you. that dumbass fake punt was made because he has over confidence in a defense that is good but it's definitely not as great as hes saying.

right

it's the lack of talent

thanks for illustrating my point

Your point is EVERYBODY'S point. I haven't read in any of the posts Rex being criticized for his schemes. In fact, I've repeatedly stated I think we're lucky to have him as a coach.

Where I criticize Rex is that I believe he overrates his defense to the point where it influences him into bad game management decisions, like today with the fake punt.

But I also think he's a smart enough guy that he will learn from his mistakes and he'll get better with more experience.

Personnel is definitely the main issue. Our front seven needs some upgrades in order to generate a conventional pass rush, that's for sure. Safety is also an issue, especially with Leonhard out.

But you have to admit, we got alot more pressure on the QB last year before we brought in two players that everybody thought would help generate even more pressure this year (Taylor and Cromartie) and that hasn't happened.

I do think part of it has been that alot of the league has definitely gone to school on the overload blitz, and teams are better prepared for it. However, I would agree that most of it is personnel related. There is no question that opposing QB's have had alot more time this year throwing the football, especially in key passing situations.

the overload blitz is old, I mean really old. the NFL has known how to beat it for a loooooong time. knowing how and executing are different things. the players execute, not the coaches

one of the first things I read about rex was an ozzie newsome quote, "rex loves corners" because you need 4 good ones to make his defense work. the jets have 2. that's why he isn't going crazy with blitzes, it just leads to giving up chunks of yards. don't forget, most veteran QB's want you to blitz. they love the man to man coverage, especially with the modern rules going back to the ty law rules

kyle wilson is also a big part of this

if gholston and wilson are contributing, this very well could be a great defense

Well I will take it..how about this Rex...your team plays lights out as unit. It is almost to the point where your team is winning on talent alone...The game and time management is brutal and now your defense is once again falling apart.

how did it fall apart last year? it was far better last year

the overload blitz is old, I mean really old. the NFL has known how to beat it for a loooooong time. knowing how and executing are different things. the players execute, not the coaches

one of the first things I read about rex was an ozzie newsome quote, "rex loves corners" because you need 4 good ones to make his defense work. the jets have 2. that's why he isn't going crazy with blitzes, it just leads to giving up chunks of yards. don't forget, most veteran QB's want you to blitz. they love the man to man coverage, especially with the modern rules going back to the ty law rules

kyle wilson is also a big part of this

if gholston and wilson are contributing, this very well could be a great defense

Serious question...

Do you think they have more talent on defense last year or this year?

You're missing the point. he is making game decisions based on him (Rex) actually thinking this defense is great. get it? I wasnt talking about you. that dumbass fake punt was made because he has over confidence in a defense that is good but it's definitely not as great as hes saying.

I must have missed something in a press conference, I guess he was bragging on the D ?

I think the idea on the fake punt was the opposite, that he figured he needed to keep scoring to win. if you have confidence in your defense, you punt it and play defense. if you don't have confidence, you fake a punt to keep a drive alive

the big mistake to me where he had too much confidence in his defense and ST's was the punt from the 45 or whatever late in the game 4th and 6 I think. I would have gone for it there

there was a disconnect in strategy tho, to be over agressive early and conservative late

I must have missed something in a press conference, I guess he was bragging on the D ?

I think the idea on the fake punt was the opposite, that he figured he needed to keep scoring to win. if you have confidence in your defense, you punt it and play defense. if you don't have confidence, you fake a punt to keep a drive alivethe big mistake to me where he had too much confidence in his defense and ST's was the punt from the 45 or whatever late in the game 4th and 6 I think. I would have gone for it there

there was a disconnect in strategy tho, to be over agressive early and conservative late

There's no way that anyone will ever convince me that Rex Ryan, the Guru of Defense, the Master of Attitude, with all is bravado and swagger about his defense, fake punted with a 7 point lead because he didn't think his defense could stop the Chicago Bears. No way.

But we'll agree to disagree there.

I think the idea on the fake punt was the opposite, that he figured he needed to keep scoring to win. if you have confidence in your defense, you punt it and play defense. if you don't have confidence, you fake a punt to keep a drive alive

the big mistake to me where he had too much confidence in his defense and ST's was the punt from the 45 or whatever late in the game 4th and 6 I think. I would have gone for it there

Dude, had we been behind I might have taken a gamble. but with the lead (we had just taken control of the game at that point) on the road in your own side of the field that is crazy.

He's been saying the defense is great all year. and talking them up. he didnt say it today, obviously.

Serious question...

Do you think they have more talent on defense last year or this year?

that goes week to week, if you look at the rosters and go by reputation, this year would be a better roster in madden

but

take away jenkins, jimmy, smith, add a year of age to ellis and taylor, have revis hold out and get hurt.....wilson suckage, and this defense misses kerry rhodes.. yeah, she didn't like to hit, but she could blitz and hang onto the ball. pools next big play will be his first

the main difference is how rex is calling the games. I don't know the stats, but going by the eye test, he's calling more coverage this year, and it's because every 3rd and 12 blitz he called in september got toasted

because teams just pick on the 3rd DB

There's no way that anyone will ever convince me that Rex Ryan, the Guru of Defense, the Master of Attitude, with all is bravado and swagger about his defense, fake punted with a 7 point lead because he didn't think his defense could stop the Chicago Bears. No way.

But we'll agree to disagree there.

well, it makes no sense on any level, so who knows what the **** they were thinking

that goes week to week, if you look at the rosters and go by reputation, this year would be a better roster in madden

but

take away jenkins, jimmy, smith, add a year of age to ellis and taylor, have revis hold out and get hurt.....wilson suckage, and this defense misses kerry rhodes.. yeah, she didn't like to hit, but she could blitz and hang onto the ball. pools next big play will be his first

the main difference is how rex is calling the games. I don't know the stats, but going by the eye test, he's calling more coverage this year, and it's because every 3rd and 12 blitz he called in september got toasted

because teams just pick on the 3rd DB

Yeah, I think a big part of it was the expectation by many, including myself, that they had better personnel coming into this year with the addition of Jason Taylor and Cromartie, and the addition of Wilson, albeit as a rookie. Also Poole was generally regarded as a better fit for this defense than Rhodes because of his physicality.

Taylor's been OK, but more of a situational player who's been forced into more of a fulltime role because of injuries to Pace and Thomas, and as you said he's a year older and probably not the same player we maybe hoped for. Cromartie has been great for the most part, much better than Sheppard, but I agree Poole has been a disappointment and as much as I hate to say it, Rhodes was better. Jenkins is a wash because he was hurt last year, too. Ellis, even though he's a year older, has still played solid. Leonhard's injury at safety really hurts for obvious reasons.

I think overall, while expectations for this year's personnel was much greater than last season's personnel, the level of talent is pretty close to what is was last year. We lost Rhodes, but got Cro, while adding Taylor.

That said, it's kind of a mystery as to why we can't generate as much of a pass rush, although as you said (and I agree) that Rhodes was probably their best blitzing Dback last year, so that may explain some of it.

We definitely need a pass rusher and another safety in the offseason.

Leading the league in "3 and outs" is fine, but it doesn't necessarily translate to the "shutdown" defense that Rex claims to be.

In two of our most important games this year, one with a division title on the line and the other with a playoff birth in the balance, the defense has given up 45 and 38 points respectively. In at least 2 other games, the offense and special teams won games where the defense didn't play well.

C'mon really ... Do you think the Jets have been a good "3rd Down defense" this year?

I dunno. They've given up a bunch of 3rd and longs, but... lead the league in 3 and outs. And last night the Bears were just 3 for 9 in 3rd down conversions. That's good (for us, not them)

Do you think the defense is as good as it was last year.

Nope, but I think our offense is improved. We are a well rounded team. If we could just get each unit to click at the right times, instead of relying on one unit to pick the other up each week.

Archived