The coaching staff gets way too much blame

MangoJet

I really don't understand why Jets fans are constantly bashing Coach Ryan and Schottenheimer.

It seems that most of us are under the assumption that the Jets have a ton of talent, and the only thing holding this team back is the coaching staff.

This is not the case......

On offense:

Just because Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Jerricho Cotchery are on the roster doesn't mean that should automatically translate to an explosive offense. I like Mark Sanchez, but he's not Aaron Rodgers, and probably never will be. He consitently makes off target throws, and poor decisions with the football. When you combine this with the fact that these three WR's seem to drop more balls than they catch, it's easy to see why the passing game is pedestrian.

On defense:

Rex really has done a good job with this defense over the years. Mike T' didn't get great ROI on Vernon Gholston, Calvin Pace, and Bryan Thomas (all making top $$$). As a result the pass rush is nonexistant. Two years in a row Mike T' anticipated Kris Jenkins to be leader of the dline. Two years in a row Kris Jenkins blows out his knee.

Under Rex guys like Sione Pouha and Mike Devito have gone from camp fodder to starter. Shaun Ellis had also experiencd a career revival.

Why has the D' regressed this season?

Teams have cuaght up with Rex's smoke and mirrors. The book on how to beat the Jets is out. Can Rex adjust???? No way... Rex's system is what hid the flaws on the team. Mike T' is going to have to get Rex a legit pass rusher.

Playoffs?

I know many media pundits picked this team to go to the Super Bowl, but that's not going to happen. Rex, Schotty, and the rest of the staff did a great job to get this team to the playoffs....

We need to reevaluate our expectations.

Right now winning 1 or more playoff games would be a huge feat considering the talent (lackthereof) we have.

Dude, the Jets have been talked up all year (by themselves) like they are the next coming of the 72 dolphins. this is what happens when your own coach sets the bar way too high and you come up short on expectations. it's better to not get too high when things are going good and not too low when things are going bad. it's called a sensible even keel.

Dude, the Jets have been talked up all year (by themselves) like they are the next coming of the 72 dolphins. this is what happens when your own coach sets the bar way too high and you come up short on expectations. it's better to not get too high when things are going good and not too low when things are going bad. it's called a sensible even keel.

Yeah. If Rex held mumbly press conferences, we definitely would have won today. It's just a fact.

Yeah. If Rex held mumbly press conferences, we definitely would have won today. It's just a fact.

LOL! Im not talking about him being a buffoon, He's the one that kept calling the Jets a great team. now everybody is crying because they got in the playoffs, but theyre not great. right?

Agreed to an extent. Rex is 19-12 as a HC and he's already made it to the playoffs twice in two years, which is pretty impressive for a first time coach who started off his regime with a rookie QB. At the end of the day he's made some mistakes, but if you're looking at strictly the results, he's still off to the best start for a Jets HC since Parcells. The fact that he's done it with a rookie QB starting almost every game through that entire period counts for something. Maybe that's why the positional coaches and coordinators catch most of the flack, because it seems like a lot of the time he's winning in spite of them. This might not be the case, but it damn sure comes off like it at times.

It's also worth noting that, in my experience, nothing is more aggravating from a fan's standpoint than clock mismanagement. It's the dumbest way to blow a game, and even when you win it just lingers with you all week still.

I really don't understand why Jets fans are constantly bashing Coach Ryan and Schottenheimer.

It seems that most of us are under the assumption that the Jets have a ton of talent, and the only thing holding this team back is the coaching staff.

On offense:

Just because Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Jerricho Cotchery are on the roster doesn't mean that should automatically translate to an explosive offense. I like Mark Sanchez, but he's not Aaron Rodgers, and probably never will be. He consitently makes off target throws, and poor decisions with the football. When you combine this with the fact that these three WR's seem to drop more balls than they catch, it's easy to see why the passing game is pedestrian.

On defense:

Rex really has done a good job with this defense over the years. Mike T' didn't get great ROI on Vernon Gholston, Calvin Pace, and Bryan Thomas (all making top $$$). As a result the pass rush is nonexistant. Two years in a row Mike T' anticipated Kris Jenkins to be leader of the dline. Two years in a row Kris Jenkins blows out his knee.

Under Rex guys like Sione Pouha and Mike Devito have gone from camp fodder to starter. Shaun Ellis had also experiencd a career revival.

Teams have cuaght up with Rex's smoke and mirrors. The book on how to beat the Jets is out. Can Rex adjust???? No way... Rex's system is what hid the flaws on the team. Mike T' is going to have to get Rex a legit pass rusher.

Playoffs?

I know many media pundits picked this team to go to the Super Bowl, but that's not going to happen. Rex, Schotty, and the rest of the staff did a great job to get this team to the playoffs....

Right now winning 1 or more playoff games would be a huge feat considering the talent (lackthereof) we have.

For the record, I like Rex and I'm glad he's our coach. I think he's a brilliant defensive mind, who is still learning how to be a head coach both on and off the field, and I believe he will get even better as he coaches more games.

All that said, most of the criticism that he receives is self induced.

His arrogance and "off the field bravado" with his "mouthy style" make people who otherwise couldn't care less about the Jets, instead root to see them fail. It's human nature for people to want to see a bully get knocked on his a$$, which is why the Jets have become the most disliked team in the league.

Rex is quoted as saying he doesn't care what people think, that he will continue to "be himself", and while as a Jet fan, I wish he would take a little more humble approach, there is nothing wrong with it ... if you win, that is.

But there is also no arguing the fact that "the brashness" that he exhibits DOES put more pressure on him, his staff, and his team to win. It also causes people (i.e. front office types, media, fans, etc...) to have much LESS patience, because again, nobody likes a bully, especially a bully that is "all talk" and people will jump on a bully when he's down every chance they get.

My point is, that as much as I like Rex, I think he does his staff, his players, the Jets organization, and most of all, HIMSELF, a disservice because his bravado and bold attitude sets himself up for quicker criticism and a potentially shorter tenure.

Because in the end, if you act the way he does and don't win quickly, his type of behavior goes from being "refreshing" to "embarassing" very quickly and his act will begin to wear on both the media and even the most ardent Jets fans. And know one should know this more than Rex himself, because it's exactly what happened to his dad in both Philadelphia and Arizona, which is why I believe he'll eventually figure it out.

I'm not saying he needs to become Mangini or Belichick off the field. But he doesn't have to be Muhammad Ali either.

As a fan of this franchise for 40 years, I hope he learns to "tone it down" a bit for his own sake. He's already done a few things as the face of this organization that would not be tolerated in many other organizations in this league, and frankly have been a little embarassing to even the most loyal fans of the team.

For the record, I like Rex and I'm glad he's our coach. I think he's a brilliant defensive mind, who is still learning how to be a head coach both on and off the field, and I believe he will get even better as he coaches more games.

All that said, most of the criticism that he receives is self induced.

His arrogance and "off the field bravado" with his "mouthy style" make people who otherwise couldn't care less about the Jets, instead root to see them fail. It's human nature for people to want to see a bully get knocked on his a$$, which is why the Jets have become the most disliked team in the league.

Rex is quoted as saying he doesn't care what people think, that he will continue to "be himself", and while as a Jet fan, I wish he would take a little more humble approach, there is nothing wrong with it ... if you win, that is.

But there is also no arguing the fact that "the brashness" that he exhibits DOES put more pressure on him, his staff, and his team to win. It also causes people (i.e. front office types, media, fans, etc...) to have much LESS patience, because again, nobody likes a bully, especially a bully that is "all talk" and people will jump on a bully when he's down every chance they get.

My point is, that as much as I like Rex, I think he does his staff, his players, the Jets organization, and most of all, HIMSELF, a disservice because his bravado and bold attitude sets himself up for quicker criticism and a potentially shorter tenure.

Because in the end, if you act the way he does and don't win quickly, his type of behavior goes from being "refreshing" to "embarassing" very quickly and his act will begin to wear on both the media and even the most ardent Jets fans. And know one should know this more than Rex himself, because it's exactly what happened to his dad in both Philadelphia and Arizona, which is why I believe he'll eventually figure it out.

I'm not saying he needs to become Mangini or Belichick off the field. But he doesn't have to be Muhammad Ali either.

As a fan of this franchise for 40 years, I hope he learns to "tone it down" a bit for his own sake. He's already done a few things as the face of this organization that would not be tolerated in many other organizations in this league, and frankly have been a little embarassing to even the most loyal fans of the team.

Dude, that is exactly how I feel. but you are 100% better than I am about getting your point across. you are now my favorite poster in the history of JN ;)

Once again, I disagree. I also would prefer a more moderate style, but toning it down is not the right move. Make the player realize they are there to win a super bowl. If they can't do it, there will be new players next year. None of this bullsh*t where you are satisfied with 10-6. They are pissed and they should be. How many Jets teams have had more than 10 wins? Three. That's right, beat the Bills and this will be one of the top 4 Jets teams EVER and you people are acting like Rex is some kind of failure.

Once again, I disagree. I also would prefer a more moderate style, but toning it down is not the right move. Make the player realize they are there to win a super bowl. If they can't do it, there will be new players next year. None of this bullsh*t where you are satisfied with 10-6. They are pissed and they should be. How many Jets teams have had more than 10 wins? Three. That's right, beat the Bills and this will be one of the top 4 Jets teams EVER and you people are acting like Rex is some kind of failure.

That's more of an indictment of our sh*tty history than anything else. Before the season started, I don't think anyone here was prepared to settle for 10-6 and the # 6 seed. That type of regular season performance does not usually set you up for a Super Bowl run. Look at all the former 1st round picks we have on this roster. Look where we ended up last season. 10-6 was nearer to the low end of the expectations meter than the high end.

I love Rex and think he should keep being himself. But I can also see why some fans are pissed.

Agreed to an extent. Rex is 19-12 as a HC and he's already made it to the playoffs twice in two years, which is pretty impressive for a first time coach who started off his regime with a rookie QB. At the end of the day he's made some mistakes, but if you're looking at strictly the results, he's still off to the best start for a Jets HC since Parcells. The fact that he's done it with a rookie QB starting almost every game through that entire period counts for something. Maybe that's why the positional coaches and coordinators catch most of the flack, because it seems like a lot of the time he's winning in spite of them. This might not be the case, but it damn sure comes off like it at times.

It's also worth noting that, in my experience, nothing is more aggravating from a fan's standpoint than clock mismanagement. It's the dumbest way to blow a game, and even when you win it just lingers with you all week still.

i agree with this 100%.

the fact is is that it is the personnel we have that sucks. Watch our slow lumbering front seven. We don't have a single player that can ferociously rush the passer.

Rex's teams in Baltimore were built with players that were much more technically refined from a pass-rushing sense, much more ferocious at it, and overall, much quicker.

His defense needs, he now probably realizes, a ball-hawking safety.

There is a severe mismatch between the scheme and the players. With the right players, this defense would be unstoppable.

But it is a learning process. Despite the bravado, it is incredible what Rex has actually accomplished these two years with a rookie QB, new pieces coming in on O, the best player on the team and most valuable on the defense -- NT Jenkins -- going down two years going, and now to have leonhard go down.

We're surviving with backups at this point at major positions and with an incredible inability of the personnel to play the scheme.

A lot of this falls on Calvin Pace. If you have one guy that can get to the QB with any consistency, it changes the entire dynamic of everything. I don't even think this is a Tannenbaum or Ryan problem.

I don't think anyone could have guessed how bad Pace would be. Its all his fault.

you can always tells who listens to a lot of talk radio imho

I like Rex Ryan and think he will become a good head coach. I just hope it's with the Jets. My issue with him is his clock management and discipline. He has to correct these two issues. I really could care less about how much or little he talks. The players love him and he is a great motivator as well as a Defensive Coordinator. He has also had to deal with quite a few injuries. However, for all of this talk, Herm Edwards also went to the playoffs his first 2 seasons as HC.

On offense:

On defense:

Playoffs?

Agreed. Rex has done an outstanding job. Its just become painfully obvious we have a slow somewhat ageing defense. We are stacked on offense we just have an inconsistent young inexperienced QB. We need to gut the D and get young, especially up front. We could use some speed too.

A lot of this falls on Calvin Pace. If you have one guy that can get to the QB with any consistency, it changes the entire dynamic of everything. I don't even think this is a Tannenbaum or Ryan problem.

F*** that. At least Pace is willing to play through pain, play with effort and tries to earn the massive contract we gave him week after week, even if his abilities are fading. Vernon Gholston is who deserves the blame for our lack of a dynamic pass-rusher. If he was anything close to what we'd hoped he'd be as the # 6 overall pick, we don't have a pass-rushing problem.

That's more of an indictment of our sh*tty history than anything else. Before the season started, I don't think anyone here was prepared to settle for 10-6 and the # 6 seed. That type of regular season performance does not usually set you up for a Super Bowl run. Look at all the former 1st round picks we have on this roster. Look where we ended up last season. 10-6 was nearer to the low end of the expectations meter than the high end.

I love Rex and think he should keep being himself. But I can also see why some fans are pissed.

i expected the division title and #1 or 2 seed. but with our luck, if the Jets went 14-2 the Patsies woulda went 15-1!, that's just our luck!!

I like Rex Ryan and think he will become a good head coach. I just hope it's with the Jets. My issue with him is his clock management and discipline. He has to correct these two issues. I really could care less about how much or little he talks. The players love him and he is a great motivator as well as a Defensive Coordinator. He has also had to deal with quite a few injuries. However, for all of this talk, Herm Edwards also went to the playoffs his first 2 seasons as HC.

Nevermind

On offense:

Anyone who thinks the Jets do not have a lot of talent among their o-line, RBs and receivers is naive. Given that, why does Sanchez have to be Aaron Rogers to expect an explosive offense? Can't he be a notch or two below and they still succeed with this kind of talent? And what team's receivers never drop passes?

Have Schotty be Aaron Roger's OC and we will see how great he looks.

Anyone who thinks the Jets do not have a lot of talent among their o-line, RBs and receivers is naive. Given that, why does Sanchez have to be Aaron Rogers to expect an explosive offense? Can't he be a notch or two below and they still succeed with this kind of talent? And what team's receivers never drop passes?

The Packer offense would not be elite with Schotty in charge.

Unless you want to view Sanchez as a complete and total albatross, the offensive talent on this team has entirely under-achieved. Granted, they may be hamstrung with a second-year QB with limited skills, but there's no way this team should struggle as much as it does to score points. They have an O-line, they have backs, they have a TE and they have three quality WR's. That they've gone long stretches with such limited productivity is simply embarrassing, and an indictment of their coaching.

Does Ryan really get blame for much anything? He has pretty much escaped heavy criticism the last two years. Even with the end of the year woes most of the fingers have been pointed at the talent level on defense and the offensive coordinator.

He's like the anti-Tom Coughlin.

Does Ryan really get blame for much anything? He has pretty much escaped heavy criticism the last two years. Even with the end of the year woes most of the fingers have been pointed at the talent level on defense and the offensive coordinator.

I think it's because they guy still just wins. You know? Like yeah, sh*t's been terrible throughout the course of games, but for the most part the team still won. IMO head coaches get judged, more than anything, on W's and L's. Playoffs both years. Not easy to do.

Unless you want to view Sanchez as a complete and total albatross, the offensive talent on this team has entirely under-achieved. Granted, they may be hamstrung with a second-year QB with limited skills, but there's no way this team should struggle as much as it does to score points. They have an O-line, they have backs, they have a TE and they have three quality WR's. That they've gone long stretches with such limited productivity is simply embarrassing, and an indictment of their coaching.

You get to the point where you say, what the f*** else do we need to do to have an elite team, particularly on offense? We load the field with former 1st round picks and still get blasted by the Patriots 45-3. I thought we had the Coach/QB combo AND the talent surrounding them to win a division title, but we're still so far behind. I mean, the f*** man, the f***?

Last great offense run by a true sophomore QB would be...

speak for yourself. i expected 11-5 all along and was never under any illusion that the Jets were winning it all this year.

speak for yourself. i expected 11-5 all along and was never under any illusion that the Jets were winning it all this year.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure Rex still operates under the belief we're winning it all. And I have a hard time thinking, at least a few times during the offseason as well as the season, you didn't agree.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure Rex still operates under the belief we're winning it all. And I have a hard time thinking, at least a few times last offseason and during the season, you didn't agree.

1. i'm not rex. i'm a boob man.

2. never did. ask bergenjet and jif. always saw us as being a year away. this year was all about sanchez maturing.

Talent-wise, the Jets are right up there. No team will have top talent at every position. The value of coaching is under-estimated in my opinion. Football is a game of emotion. Good coaches will know how to motivate players to perform at their best.

Sad to say this, but until proven wrong, Belichik > Rex+Schotty.

Archived