The coaching staff gets way too much blame

MangoJet

I think it's because they guy still just wins. You know? Like yeah, sh*t's been terrible throughout the course of games, but for the most part the team still won. IMO head coaches get judged, more than anything, on W's and L's. Playoffs both years. Not easy to do.

I agree to an extent. Rex gets a ton of cred for getting to the championship last year which will likely carry him through at least next year regardless of how things turn out. I do think win totals means something though. You cant be Herman Edwards and go 9-7 or 10-6 every year and have no chance of making the SB. There is a world of difference between being a consistent 12-4 team and consistent 10-6 team. Unlike the Herm era I dont think Rex has really hurt the Jets. His biggest fault in both years was simply not taking a very active role in coaching the offense. With Herm you could point to specific decisions that cost the team the game. Its rare that the Jets have pulled no shows under Rex (off the top of my head all I can think of are both trips to Foxboro) the way they have under the last two coaches.

That's more of an indictment of our sh*tty history than anything else. Before the season started, I don't think anyone here was prepared to settle for 10-6 and the # 6 seed. That type of regular season performance does not usually set you up for a Super Bowl run. Look at all the former 1st round picks we have on this roster. Look where we ended up last season. 10-6 was nearer to the low end of the expectations meter than the high end.

I love Rex and think he should keep being himself. But I can also see why some fans are pissed.

Hey, Paul MaGuire, they aren't 10-6. They are 10-5. 11-14 wins sets you up fine for a super bowl run. I'm still not satisfied with it and neither is Rex. That's my point. The thing is, if you are going to be one of these "speak softly" and have reasonable expectations guys then you should have no complaint with our record.

I don't give a flaming **** about 1st round picks. The Lions have always had top picks and they have always sucked. Santonio Holmes is not a 1st round pick anymore. He's a 5th. Jason Taylor, not a first round pick. Braylon Edwards is a 3rd. Calvin Pace? C'mon the guy was a bust. Some team is going to pick up Gholston next year to play specials and on their board somebody is going to be counting top picks and complaining about the performance of their "stacked" team.

I think the first 11 games of the 2008 season said all there needs to be said about Schotty. That was the only time this decade that the Jets had a truly explosive offense. And that was because Favre told Schotty to go f#ck himself with his offense and instead ran his Green Bay offense.

I think the first 11 games of the 2008 season said all there needs to be said about Schotty. That was the only time this decade that the Jets had a truly explosive offense. And that was because Favre told Schotty to go f#ck himself with his offense and instead ran his Green Bay offense.

Really? That was the Green Bay offense? Good. Then we can stop blaming Schotty for the collapse at the end of the season. It was Sherm Lewis' fault.

For the record, I like Rex and I'm glad he's our coach. I think he's a brilliant defensive mind, who is still learning how to be a head coach both on and off the field, and I believe he will get even better as he coaches more games.

All that said, most of the criticism that he receives is self induced.

His arrogance and "off the field bravado" with his "mouthy style" make people who otherwise couldn't care less about the Jets, instead root to see them fail. It's human nature for people to want to see a bully get knocked on his a$$, which is why the Jets have become the most disliked team in the league.

Rex is quoted as saying he doesn't care what people think, that he will continue to "be himself", and while as a Jet fan, I wish he would take a little more humble approach, there is nothing wrong with it ... if you win, that is.

But there is also no arguing the fact that "the brashness" that he exhibits DOES put more pressure on him, his staff, and his team to win. It also causes people (i.e. front office types, media, fans, etc...) to have much LESS patience, because again, nobody likes a bully, especially a bully that is "all talk" and people will jump on a bully when he's down every chance they get.

My point is, that as much as I like Rex, I think he does his staff, his players, the Jets organization, and most of all, HIMSELF, a disservice because his bravado and bold attitude sets himself up for quicker criticism and a potentially shorter tenure.

Because in the end, if you act the way he does and don't win quickly, his type of behavior goes from being "refreshing" to "embarassing" very quickly and his act will begin to wear on both the media and even the most ardent Jets fans. And know one should know this more than Rex himself, because it's exactly what happened to his dad in both Philadelphia and Arizona, which is why I believe he'll eventually figure it out.

I'm not saying he needs to become Mangini or Belichick off the field. But he doesn't have to be Muhammad Ali either.

As a fan of this franchise for 40 years, I hope he learns to "tone it down" a bit for his own sake. He's already done a few things as the face of this organization that would not be tolerated in many other organizations in this league, and frankly have been a little embarassing to even the most loyal fans of the team.

One Million Percent Correct....We will find out just how good we really are in a couple of weeks. I for one want another shot of the Pats and we will get it very soon.

Yeah, how could it possibly have been anticipated that giving a sh*tload of money to a guy who had never done anything wasn't going to make him good?

He was actually pretty good last year after he shook off the rust from his 4 game suspension. Something tells me an athlete may not play as well if he has a screw in his foot. Just a guess.

Hey, Paul MaGuire, they aren't 10-6. They are 10-5. 11-14 wins sets you up fine for a super bowl run.

I'm not about to count the Bills game yet, and I'd also say 11-5 is about where I expected to be. My point was that our expectations were still higher.

This was supposed to be the year we finally took the division. We started out 3-0 in the AFC East and that became even more possible. Then we lost 45-3 to New England and came out flat against Miami.

I'm impressed that we made the playoffs for a 2nd straight year, but I can't honestly say we look capable of making that long-awaited Super Bowl run this year. Hopefully Rex proves me wrong.

Edited by Jetsfan80

I'm not about to count the Bills game yet, and I'd also say 11-5 is about where I expected to be. My point was that our expectations were still higher.

This was supposed to be the year we finally took the division. We started out 3-0 in the AFC East and that became even more possible. Then we lost 45-3 to New England and came out flat against Miami.

I'm impressed that we made the playoffs for a 2nd straight year, but I can't honestly say we look capable of making that long-awaited Super Bowl run this year. Hopefully Rex proves me wrong.

It's funny. This is a perfectly reasonable, rational post, but I feel almost the opposite. I am NOT impressed with making the playoffs again. In fact, I am not impressed at all. OTOH, I do feel they can make that long awaited super bowl run. I don't think they are favorites, but I wouldn't want to play the Jets in the playoffs.

It's also worth noting that, in my experience, nothing is more aggravating from a fan's standpoint than clock mismanagement. It's the dumbest way to blow a game, and even when you win it just lingers with you all week still.

A 12 year old who's good at Madden can handle this.

I think this is one of the perception problems we have. These guys are successful so we expect them to be smart. Trouble is, it's football. It's not rocket science. Being smart is not a prerequisite. It's frustrating, but sometimes those dumber than us are still better. It is possible that a 12 year old playing Madden (say War Ensemble 2-3 years ago) is considerably smarter than Rex. It doesn't mean he'd be half the coach. Many of us learned this demoralizing lesson playing sports.

I think this is one of the perception problems we have. These guys are successful so we expect them to be smart. Trouble is, it's football. It's not rocket science. Being smart is not a prerequisite. It's frustrating, but sometimes those dumber than us are still better. It is possible that a 12 year old playing Madden (say War Ensemble 2-3 years ago) is considerably smarter than Rex. It doesn't mean he'd be half the coach. Many of us learned this demoralizing lesson playing sports.

It's not about intelligence. It's about being in the situation enough to know what to do. There's a billion people on the planet that I'm smarter than who are significantly better and more resourceful at their jobs than I would be at them, because they do it. Clock management is easy, as is evidenced by 12 year olds in a video game mastering it. These coaches should be smart enough to know when to and not to take time outs, and more importantly, if they screw it up once, learn from it. It's not rocket science, it's not even high school math, it's a countdown, and it's the same every time. Not being brilliant is not an excuse.

speak for yourself. i expected 11-5 all along and was never under any illusion that the Jets were winning it all this year.

You could have fooled us prior to the 2nd PATS game.

But honestly, yes, this was a mediocre team last year that got hot and caught some breaks down the stretch. This season we have pulled wins out of sure losses due to some incredible lucky circumstances.

We have probably four or five players on defense where other teams would jump to sign if they hit the FA market. Kudos to Rex for masking the flaws so well last season with schemes that have now been caught onto around the league.

The offense was going to have it's Sanchez learning curve moments which it has but we still should not ever have some of the drought stats that CBS flashed during the course of our last two games. Greene shoud have become our primary back five weeks ago as well.

Anything can happen in the play-offs but in the off season and draft we need to build up the defense and strongly consider replacing our OC. This season could have been a disaster record wise without some very lucky last minute W's.

If we are mediocre next year Rex's in game flaws and press conference boasts will come back to haunt him.

Edited by GimmeShelter

Are you telling me arrogance and attrition doesnt catch up to everyone? Especially a Pats roster who is old and slow and not as good as the Jets?

The gap is not closed until Sanchez closes the gap on Brady. Or, we draft another QB who closes the gap on Brady. Or, Brady retires. Or, Brady gets hurt.

there is no pause button when you are down there with 70,000 screaming fans in your ear :D

and in madden, you can run like 15 plays in a 2 minute drill because the WR's never have to run back to the huddle and the offense magically catches up on a completion in seconds

I never feel safe in madden unless there is less than 45 seconds on the clock

c'mon man !

there is no pause button when you are down there with 70,000 screaming fans in your ear :D

and in madden, you can run like 15 plays in a 2 minute drill because the WR's never have to run back to the huddle and the offense magically catches up on a completion in seconds

c'mon man !

Only because Rex hit it too soon, amirite!?!?!

Word. The gap between the Jets and the Patriots got wider this season than it was last season. The Pats absolutely ran away with this division while fielding an offense full of rookies and beer-leaguers and Brady. In that sense, the Jets are no closer to being a great team than they were in Herm's earlier days here.

Word. The gap between the Jets and the Patriots got wider this season than it was last season. The Pats absolutely ran away with this division while fielding an offense full of rookies and beer-leaguers and Brady. In that sense, the Jets are no closer to being a great team than they were in Herm's earlier days here.

Funny that so many Jets were saying this would happen. The Pats are still the Pats.

c'mon man !

The issues have been when to use timeouts when trying to run the clock down or prevent the clock from being run down. So, the fact that it takes 6 seconds between plays isn't really relevant.

I get that it's harder in the heat of the moment, but you also have guys up in the both who watch from a similar vantage point as opposed to the sideline who could assist in these matters.

Point being, clock management shouldn't be a problem.

It's not about intelligence. It's about being in the situation enough to know what to do. There's a billion people on the planet that I'm smarter than who are significantly better and more resourceful at their jobs than I would be at them, because they do it. Clock management is easy, as is evidenced by 12 year olds in a video game mastering it. These coaches should be smart enough to know when to and not to take time outs, and more importantly, if they screw it up once, learn from it. It's not rocket science, it's not even high school math, it's a countdown, and it's the same every time. Not being brilliant is not an excuse.

But beyond that, if you can't handle it get someone who can.

Rex has dyslexia. It is entirely possible he can't handle the math to effectively manage the clock on the fly. Not that the math is extremely hard, but he also has a bunch of other things he has to think about and he might be able to handle it all. So lets assume he can't. No big deal. Somebody on the Jets staff ought have that ability. And if nobody does -- hire someone. Stick him upstairs in the booth with a headset on. One job - advice the head coach on the clock management.

LOL! Im not talking about him being a buffoon, He's the one that kept calling the Jets a great team. now everybody is crying because they got in the playoffs, but theyre not great. right?

Recall when superstar Revis was holding out--- how all the Real Fans® said the Jets can't win a SB without Revis LOL and how Revis is the reason Rex's great defense works so well.

Yeah, that's why the Jets had a winning record without Revis and are sucking eggs without Jim Leonhard.

I think the buffoonery goes way beyond the coaching staff.