Josh Freeman

JustInFudge

True, true...I hear ya Tom. But lets not act like Super Josh Freeman didnt lose to Drew Stanton, AT HOME, in a must win game.

That being said, Sanchez looks like a place kicker and it does seem like only a matter of time before he's snapped in half.

He is a tiny, tiny man and injury will always be a concern, especially considering how bad he seems to play from the pocket--God forbid he ever blew up a knee on one of his many freelance scrambles and lost his mobility.

Still, I agree it's too early to freak out. I was just hoping he'd show more at this point. People KNEW Matt Ryan was a star QB after two years. People KNOW Bradford is a star. People are pretty sure Freeman is going to be a star. But, with Sanchez, does he look like Matt Ryan to anybody? I'm just hoping it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt, but he looks like he's going to be Jeff Garcia to me. No better, no worse.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pac 10 sucks, true, but these guys Sanchez was playing with on offense at USC have amounted to didly poo in the pros.

Still superior in college and especially that conference.

...or read an angered statement scribbled on a piece of paper that he just found in the locker room?

Ugh. Forgot about that. Combined that with suns out guns out. Well...

Is anyone tunning into NFLN right now? Did you see Warner break down Sanchez flaws. Not good. You dont trade up to the 5th overall pick to draft a QB who cant throw from the pocket or read a defense. When you have to move the pocket and limit your QB to 2 reads and a check down in order for him to succeed...thats not good.

He is a tiny, tiny man and injury will always be a concern, especially considering how bad he seems to play from the pocket--God forbid he ever blew up a knee on one of his many freelance scrambles and lost his mobility.

Still, I agree it's too early to freak out. I was just hoping he'd show more at this point. People KNEW Matt Ryan was a star QB after two years. People KNOW Bradford is a star. People are pretty sure Freeman is going to be a star. But, with Sanchez, does he look like Matt Ryan to anybody? I'm just hoping it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt, but he looks like he's going to be Jeff Garcia to me. No better, no worse.

Garcia in his prime on this and last years Jet team would be a SB threat.

Is anyone tunning into NFLN right now? Did you see Warner break down Sanchez flaws. Not good. You dont trade up to the 5th overall pick to draft a QB who cant throw from the pocket or read a defense. When you have to move the pocket and limit your QB to 2 reads and a check down in order for him to succeed...thats not good.

THIS has been the most frustrating thing to me. It's the mental part of the game that Sanchez doesn't seem to get, even after two full seasons. I don't know if it's poor coaching or if he just lacks the instincts required to break down a defense and read through his progressions, but he certainly doesn't seem to have a great handle on the cerebral side of the position as yet.

Garcia in his prime on this and last years Jet team would be a SB threat.

I agree. I actually thought Garcia was a hell of a QB. I had hopes that Sanchez would be Joe Montana, or even Rich Gannon at his peak, but if it turns out he was just Jeff Garcia I'd live with that.

Matt Ryan is a star? When the Falcons lose their first playoff game is he still a star?

Bradford had a solid rookie year. Star? Not yet.

I'd take Freeman over Ryan honestly.

I agree. I actually thought Garcia was a hell of a QB. I had hopes that Sanchez would be Joe Montana, or even Rich Gannon at his peak, but if it turns out he was just Jeff Garcia I'd live with that.

If Sanchez has years like Garcia had in San Fran...he was worth the 5th pick.

THIS has been the most frustrating thing to me. It's the mental part of the game that Sanchez doesn't seem to get, even after two full seasons. I don't know if it's poor coaching or if he just lacks the instincts required to break down a defense and read through his progressions, but he certainly doesn't seem to have a great handle on the cerebral side of the position as yet.

Definitely. Its obvious in the decision making but I also think this factors into his accuracy when he struggles as well. And then thats when you see that pouting sh*t on the sidelines.

And Jeff Garcia is a good comparison, throwing out the fact he was an UDFA who threw for 4.2k and 31 TD's in his 2nd season.

I will try to find the thread. I dont know that Sanchez didnt rape a bitch. When you dropped the name, the comparison was made.

Does it really matter if the Jets did their due diligence? Its the god damn Jets. The same team that drafted Vernon ******* Gholston 6th overall and traded up for sh*tty Dustin Keller when we needed a WR with Desean Jackson still on the board...all in the same 1st round.

And WTF does Tanny or Rex know about drafting a QB? Maybe they consulted everyone's favorite Schitty Jr? Everyone's favorite scapegoat for Sanchez's growth probably had the most influence on the pick. How bout that for a mind ****? What would JN's reaction be then.

Why do I think they took the little southern cali mexi model homo with little college experience over a monster in every sense of the word, who in one season throwing to doodoo has as almost as many passing TD as Sanchez does for his career, is beyond me. I have no idea.

I can tell you this. It had nothing to do with if they thought Josh Freeman could handle NYC because there were reports that he liked to drink after midnight. Thats just ridiculous. They traded up to the 5th spot because they thought the model was the better talent, not because he is more mature. And if that was the logic, than thats more ridiculous than thinking he was the better talent.

Here's where your logic is flawed, if they had similar grades on the two players, than maturity was a major factor in picking Sanchez over Freeman.

Also, talk to me when your boy wins multiple games against teams with winning records in a season, wins a playoff game, does anything of note when anyone actually has some expectations for him.

Freeman hasn't exactly been under the same kind of scrutiny as Sanchez now has he?

If were going to kill Sanchez for the mental part of the game...his three guys (Braylon, Santonio, Keller) have looked brain dead at times when running their routes. And his supposed security blanket(Keller) has pretty much had his head in his a$$ for the better part of the season.

Not to mention Cotchery who has double digit drops.

Sanchez has been meh, but lets not act this is all on him...the drops have been almost comical this season.

Here's where your logic is flawed, if they had similar grades on the two players, than maturity was a major factor in picking Sanchez over Freeman.

Also, talk to me when your boy wins multiple games against teams with winning records in a season, wins a playoff game, does anything of note when anyone actually has some expectations for him.

Freeman hasn't exactly been under the same kind of scrutiny as Sanchez now has he?

1) The Jets grades suck

2) Sanchez plays on a far superior team

3) see #2

Matt Ryan is a star? When the Falcons lose their first playoff game is he still a star?

Bradford had a solid rookie year. Star? Not yet.

I'd take Freeman over Ryan honestly.

Ooh. I think Ryan is thisclose to being mentioned in the Brees-Rodgers-Rivers class, bro. I agree he's probably not there yet, but it'll take a severe drug problem or injury to keep it from happening. Bradford, though obviously really early, looks like the real thing. Not better than Sanchez, yet, but he's shown a ton of poise, accuracy and already has a higher QB rating (FWIW) than Mark. Freeman is a wild card, imo. He really, really looks the part, though. None of this is to say that Mark doesn't have the chance to be as good or better than those guys. I just pointed to those guys to say that they look like bankable stars--sure things--while Mark is still so inconsistent.

If Sanchez has years like Garcia had in San Fran...he was worth the 5th pick.

True. If he puts together anything like the three great years that Garcia had in San Fran, Jets fans will build a statue for him.

If were going to kill Sanchez for the mental part of the game...his three guys (Braylon, Santonio, Keller) have looked brain dead at times when running their routes. And his supposed security blanket(Keller) has pretty much had his head in his a$$ for the better part of the season.

Not to mention Cotchery who has double digit drops.

Sanchez has been meh, but lets not act this is all on him...the drops have been almost comical this season.

Not to exonerate any of Sanchez's receivers, but I think those guys just don't have a metric ton of faith in Sanchez's ability to get them the ball and they mentally tune out of games. We know that Santonio and Braylon are headcases anyway, but when you see a true professional like Cotchery dropping balls and being in the wrong spots, you have to wonder just how much they trust Sanchez. I liken it to a basketball team with a spotty PG. When a point guard is running the floor and moving the ball well, everybody on the team runs hard and plays better. But when the PG is sloppy with the ball and isn't getting it to the right spots, nobody runs and nobody plays as hard as they can. I don't think that Santonio or Edwards, or Keller for that matter, need much prompting to check out mentally, but when Cotch is all crossed up mentally, that's a sign of a problem.

Ooh. I think Ryan is thisclose to being mentioned in the Brees-Rodgers-Rivers class, bro. I agree he's probably not there yet, but it'll take a severe drug problem or injury to keep it from happening. Bradford, though obviously really early, looks like the real thing. Not better than Sanchez, yet, but he's shown a ton of poise, accuracy and already has a higher QB rating (FWIW) than Mark. Freeman is a wild card, imo. He really, really looks the part, though. None of this is to say that Mark doesn't have the chance to be as good or better than those guys. I just pointed to those guys to say that they look like bankable stars--sure things--while Mark is still so inconsistent.

True. If he puts together anything like the three great years that Garcia had in San Fran, Jets fans will build a statue for him.

Not to exonerate any of Sanchez's receivers, but I think those guys just don't have a metric ton of faith in Sanchez's ability to get them the ball and they mentally tune out of games. We know that Santonio and Braylon are headcases anyway, but when you see a true professional like Cotchery dropping balls and being in the wrong spots, you have to wonder just how much they trust Sanchez. I liken it to a basketball team with a spotty PG. When a point guard is running the floor and moving the ball well, everybody on the team runs hard and plays better. But when the PG is sloppy with the ball and isn't getting it to the right spots, nobody runs and nobody plays as hard as they can. I don't think that Santonio or Edwards, or Keller for that matter, need much prompting to check out mentally, but when Cotch is all crossed up mentally, that's a sign of a problem.

And yet, after all of this mess, the Jets still managed to have one of their best regular seasons win wise in franchise history. Rooting for this franchise is something else.

And fwiw...I think your reaching with Cotchery mentally checking out because he thinks Sanchez stinks. I don't think anyone in the locker room has even anonymously questioned Sanchez's ability. If they didnt have faith in the kid, something would have come out already.

And yet, after all of this mess, the Jets still managed to have one of their best regular seasons win wise in franchise history. Rooting for this franchise is something else.

Both a blessing and a curse for Mark. He's a young guy playing relatively well for what is the most competitive Jets teams since 98, but if they don't win a ring during this run, he will be the one scapegoated. Personally, I'm judging Sanchez harshly not because he's awful, but because I have doubts that he's ready to compete for a Super Bowl right now. Fair? no. But it is what it is.

And fwiw...I think your reaching with Cotchery mentally checking out because he thinks Sanchez stinks. I don't think anyone in the locker room has even anonymously questioned Sanchez's ability. If they didnt have faith in the kid, something would have come out already.

It's just a theory based on the performance of all the Jets receivers. While it's easy to just point at Braylon and Santonio and Keller and say that they're just wackjob primadonnas, it's a lot harder to figure out why a guy like Cotchery would be having the same problems. Common denominator is a young, indecisive, inaccurate QB. It doesn't matter how good a guy you are or how professional you may be, if you don't consistently know where the ball is going to go, you're not going to be as locked in as you should be. Human nature.

Sorry Garcia was terrible, reason why he bounced around the league

TO made garcia a 5 yd slant into an 80 yd touchdown, garcia was average at best

His numbers were definitely inflated, but he did throw for 30 TD's three times I believe. He got stuck in Detroit and Cleveland and then played pretty well in Philly.

His numbers were definitely inflated, but he did throw for 30 TD's three times I believe. He got stuck in Detroit and Cleveland and then played pretty well in Philly.

and then tampa and then philly again, threw a terrible ball, TO made him for sure

Losing 3 of 4 games down the stretch with 1 td pass to show for it is not impressive.

Put Freeman on this team and the guy is taking us to the SB. He's throwing to a rookie not Holmes, Edwards, Keller, Cotch, Lt playing with this ol. Please. Freeman is a stud.

I suppose if you isolate the past two years to the past 5 games, and ignore the opponents that they were playing, you MIGHT be tempted to go with Freeman over Sanchez. LOL.

Every time I've seen him play he chokes. Not a huge fan. I'd hate to need a QB this year, considering how bad Jake Locker has been and with the rest of the group (outside of Luck?) laden with question marks.

Same here. Similar measurables to Freeman.

Jake Locker is a joke.

Every time I've seen him play he chokes. Not a huge fan. I'd hate to need a QB this year, considering how bad Jake Locker has been and with the rest of the group (outside of Luck?) laden with question marks.

There was another SEC quarterback who used to choke a lot. I think he played for Tennessee. Its on the tip of my tongue.....grr, hate when this happens.....someone help me out here.

It's just a theory based on the performance of all the Jets receivers. While it's easy to just point at Braylon and Santonio and Keller and say that they're just wackjob primadonnas, it's a lot harder to figure out why a guy like Cotchery would be having the same problems. Common denominator is a young, indecisive, inaccurate QB. It doesn't matter how good a guy you are or how professional you may be, if you don't consistently know where the ball is going to go, you're not going to be as locked in as you should be. Human nature.

The point guard analogy isn't bad, but I think that Cotchery's problems started about the time he got hurt. Also, playing with dogs can make you dog it a bit. Especially when the dogs are being treated like stars while you are a nobody (in the eyes of everybody except Blackout). This is where I can see blaming Schottenhiemer. The rhythm nation of complainers have a point. I think the play calls allow these guys to become un-involved. I mostly blame it on trying to eat clock, but it takes a toll. Particularly on those less professional - Greene, Holmes, Edwards, Keller. You know 1/3 of our offense.

Mallett is this year's Jevon Snead. Everybody was in love with Snead going into last year and then he bombed like crazy.

• 1 year later...

stop bumping your bullsheet threads or I'll see to it you're banned.

Ummm, JoeC wants my body, Max tells me this is my site all the time, Crusher is my muffin top and Slats and I share the same retirement plans.

I'm protected around these parts. You on the other hand...

Archived