Rex says D has no swagger.

visajets

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO should Bart help everyone tackle and learn how to cover as well? I never remember Scott being brought in to be Super Man.. the unit as a whole is not playing up to par

I figured he would stand out and be a leader. David Harris is the real beast of the D.

there are different ways to define a leader..while you may discredit what Bart brings to the table, I find him to be a leader on the team especially while David Harris is very soft spoken. Scott is as tough as they come and was a huge help changing the culture on this team and bringing in Rex's attitude. There are often times he is absorbing blockers for other to make plays. The defense as a unit is not playing up to par... next to no pass rush.. where is the criticism of Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas? the secondary is struggling..have none of the young cbs developed? there is blame to pass all around

there are different ways to define a leader..while you may discredit what Bart brings to the table, I find him to be a leader on the team especially while David Harris is very soft spoken. Scott is as tough as they come and was a huge help changing the culture on this team and bringing in Rex's attitude. There are often times he is absorbing blockers for other to make plays. The defense as a unit is not playing up to par... next to no pass rush.. where is the criticism of Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas? the secondary is struggling..have none of the young cbs developed? there is blame to pass all around

A defense any defense without a legit pass rush is Swiss Cheese.

He was a real beast trying to cover Forte out of the backfield.

He should not be covering anyone. He should be the fourth pass rusher on EVERY pass play. When you play a 3-4, rushing one LB is not a blitz. You are not giving up anything. Too predictable? Did it matter that people knew Lawrence Taylor was rushing the passer 90% of the time. And I am not comparing Harris to LT. It is called using players to their strengths and avoiding weaknesses.

BTW, thank GOD for Harris on that one run where Forte was about to break out of the pack for a big gain, and then Harris's big paw grabbed him from behind and dragged him down for little gain.

He should not be covering anyone. He should be the fourth pass rusher on EVERY pass play. When you play a 3-4, rushing one LB is not a blitz. You are not giving up anything. Too predictable? Did it matter that people knew Lawrence Taylor was rushing the passer 90% of the time. And I am not comparing Harris to LT. It is called using players to their strengths and avoiding weaknesses.

BTW, thank GOD for Harris on that one run where Forte was about to break out of the pack for a big gain, and then Harris's big paw grabbed him from behind and dragged him down for little gain.

+1 THANK YOU and REPPED. Lets see his response. ;)

+1 THANK YOU and REPPED. Lets see his response. ;)

My response is simple. The guy can't cover a parking meter. A LB should be able to cover a little bit. Particularly A BEAST. LT could cover any back or TE in the NFL, but as DM says, he's not comparing the two. That's because LT was A BEAST. Harris is a very nice player, but IMO Jets fans overrate Harris and Mangold a whole hell of a lot.

I fully disagree with DMaynard's assessment of Harris as a pass rusher, but that's another matter. I think Harris' strength is as a run stuffer. He adds very little to the passing defense. Harris is a finisher that will make the tackle on the blitz, but if he is picked up he is stopped. The Jets can't rush him on every play because the only way to generate pressure is to have the O not know who is coming. Pace, Scott, Taylor and Thomas aren't so hot in coverage either, but IMO Taylor and Harris are the worst.

My response is simple. The guy can't cover a parking meter. A LB should be able to cover a little bit. Particularly A BEAST. LT could cover any back or TE in the NFL, but as DM says, he's not comparing the two. That's because LT was A BEAST. Harris is a very nice player, but IMO Jets fans overrate Harris and Mangold a whole hell of a lot.

I fully disagree with DMaynard's assessment of Harris as a pass rusher, but that's another matter. I think Harris' strength is as a run stuffer. He adds very little to the passing defense. Harris is a finisher that will make the tackle on the blitz, but if he is picked up he is stopped. The Jets can't rush him on every play because the only way to generate pressure is to have the O not know who is coming. Pace, Scott, Taylor and Thomas aren't so hot in coverage either, but IMO Taylor and Harris are the worst.

Then we are in serious disagreement and I suggest you look at the replays. When Harris does rush, he almost always breaks free and forces the QB to not be able to hold the ball forever as is usually the case. As far as rushing him every play, again, it is important to understand the difference between 3-4 and 4-3. Other than a prevent, in a 3-4, you usually send at least one other guy. That is not a blitz. No surprise element is needed. It is with the 5th, 6th, or 7th guy in that you change up who rushes and where they come from. This is no different than many 3-4 teams do with a Shawn Merriman, James Harrison, Ware, etc. The only difference is Harris is an ILB, which really doesn't matter because in an obvious passing situation, you can move him around. Another thing they don't do.

Then we are in serious disagreement and I suggest you look at the replays. When Harris does rush, he almost always breaks free and forces the QB to not be able to hold the ball forever as is usually the case. As far as rushing him every play, again, it is important to understand the difference between 3-4 and 4-3. Other than a prevent, in a 3-4, you usually send at least one other guy. That is not a blitz. No surprise element is needed. It is with the 5th, 6th, or 7th guy in that you change up who rushes and where they come from. This is no different than many 3-4 teams do with a Shawn Merriman, James Harrison, Ware, etc. The only difference is Harris is an ILB, which really doesn't matter because in an obvious passing situation, you can move him around. Another thing they don't do.

I think they don't move him around because they agree with me on his pass rushing ability. He's obviously no Merriman, Harrison or Ware - that's nothing to be ashamed of. The fact is, they benefit from sending a different guy based on the formation and I don't think Harris is any better than the others and I think he is significantly worse than Taylor and Pace (prior to this year). Any way you look at it, they will be either blitzing a ton of guys or dropping a LB into coverage that is ill suited to the task.

I think they don't move him around because they agree with me on his pass rushing ability. He's obviously no Merriman, Harrison or Ware - that's nothing to be ashamed of. The fact is, they benefit from sending a different guy based on the formation and I don't think Harris is any better than the others and I think he is significantly worse than Taylor and Pace (prior to this year). Any way you look at it, they will be either blitzing a ton of guys or dropping a LB into coverage that is ill suited to the task.

I don't disagree with that. But compared to the other LBs on the Jets this year, I still think he is our best rusher by far.

Anyway, here is my real issue with the jets defensive strategy this year. Overall, the LBers have been very disappointing on passes this year (all are poor in coverage - Scott is decent - and they are not getting a lot of rush pressure). OK, but they have been great (along with the front three) against the run. Leading to a lot of third and long situations. And how many times have they been burnt on 3rd and long? And how many of those been at the expense of a trailing LB? Why do they leave so many LBers on the field in obvious pass situations? I would have six or seven DBs on the field. Our back up DBs may not be great, but they are certainly faster than the LBers and would probably be more effective in blitzes as well as coverage.

I don't disagree with that. But compared to the other LBs on the Jets this year, I still think he is our best rusher by far.

Anyway, here is my real issue with the jets defensive strategy this year. Overall, the LBers have been very disappointing on passes this year (all are poor in coverage - Scott is decent - and they are not getting a lot of rush pressure). OK, but they have been great (along with the front three) against the run. Leading to a lot of third and long situations. And how many times have they been burnt on 3rd and long? And how many of those been at the expense of a trailing LB? Why do they leave so many LBers on the field in obvious pass situations? I would have six or seven DBs on the field. Our back up DBs may not be great, but they are certainly faster than the LBers and would probably be more effective in blitzes as well as coverage.

This post I agree with 100%.

I think that a large portion of the problem has been the injuries. They are not the back breaking season ending types - like losing Jenkins, but they are small things that can change the packages that they use.

Early in the year they were playing their normal crazy blitz and man up and were called for some PI calls. Many appeared bogus. If the refs that did the Bears game did the Ravens game the Jets probably win.

As they tried to adjust and play more coverage they will want to pull LBs for S. The problem is, they have no safeties. Normally Ihedigbo should be playing "LB" on passing downs. They have played him there in the past, but he has been hurt. Smith is a terrible cover S, but he can cover for an LB, but he's been hurt and/or pressed into Leonhard's spot. I think they have played with more CB on the field, but they don't have many. Some of their most successful plays have come with extra DBs and blitzing a CB. Coleman has had several effective blitzes the last couple of weeks. SO has Cole. Cromartie had a great shot at the QB and then jumped like a doof and avoided all contact. I think we will see more of that and we may see Cook on the field soon too. He looks decent on ST.

The problem is, they have no safeties.

remember back in the summertime when losing Kerry Rhodes was widely accepted as addition by subtraction. How he was such a bad cancer on a league-leading, historically good #1 team defense?

ah simpler times.

there's nothing wrong with this defense that a real athletic free safety can't cure.

Archived