Rex says D has no swagger.

visajets

remember back in the summertime when losing Kerry Rhodes was widely accepted as addition by subtraction. How he was such a bad cancer on a league-leading, historically good #1 team defense?

ah simpler times.

there's nothing wrong with this defense that a real athletic free safety can't cure.

yeah right.. revis + not getting free rushers is what's wrong with this defense..

rhodes is a pos

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remember back in the summertime when losing Kerry Rhodes was widely accepted as addition by subtraction. How he was such a bad cancer on a league-leading, historically good #1 team defense?

ah simpler times.

there's nothing wrong with this defense that a real athletic free safety can't cure.

As much as his athletic ability is missed, there is no way Rhodes could still be on the team without horrible consequences. The fans, other players and coaches all hated him and his delusions of grandeur. I'd rather have Kris Jenkins back.

Then we are in serious disagreement and I suggest you look at the replays. When Harris does rush, he almost always breaks free and forces the QB to not be able to hold the ball forever as is usually the case. As far as rushing him every play, again, it is important to understand the difference between 3-4 and 4-3. Other than a prevent, in a 3-4, you usually send at least one other guy. That is not a blitz. No surprise element is needed. It is with the 5th, 6th, or 7th guy in that you change up who rushes and where they come from. This is no different than many 3-4 teams do with a Shawn Merriman, James Harrison, Ware, etc. The only difference is Harris is an ILB, which really doesn't matter because in an obvious passing situation, you can move him around. Another thing they don't do.

Totally agree. his up the gut rushes are as good as anyone's in the NFL. They just choose not to use him in that manner. Im not really sure why, but they dont. they use him alot as a QB spy, which is a waste of talent and in short pass coverage where he is excellent. His problem in coverage is when he ends up on a TE or back who goes beyond 5 yards. He is bad in that regard. They had Jason Taylor doing that too often last game too which made no sense.

The Jets lack of swagger comes from the fact that their OLBs are bums. Pace doesnt even look like he tries out there, Taylor is a shell, and BT is a never was. Ellis is the best natural pass rusher but is a bazillion years old and plays like it. They dont even leave him in that often on passing downs anymore. Last year the Jets hit the QB alot and they hit him hard, with alot of those hits coming from Harris and Scott. This year they dont come from the middle (except when they line JT over center for some crazy reason) and the edge guys stink.

Cracks me up how imcredibly different in approach Rex and BB are. Just today I learned that whenever the players leave the facility, they see this sign attached to the door everytime the exit. It reads:

WHEN YOU LEAVE HERE ...

* Don't believe or fuel the hype

* Manage expectations

* Ignore the noise

* Speak for youself

Cracks me up how imcredibly different in approach Rex and BB are. Just today I learned that whenever the players leave the facility, they see this sign attached to the door everytime the exit. It reads:

WHEN YOU LEAVE HERE ...

* Manage expectations

* Ignore the noise

* Speak for youself

*We have Tom Brady and you dont

Fixed

WHEN YOU LEAVE HERE ...

* Manage expectations

* Ignore the noise

* Speak for youself

He also said that the Patriots havent done sh*t yet because the most important game you play is the last game you play. which is true.

I don't disagree with that. But compared to the other LBs on the Jets this year, I still think he is our best rusher by far.

Anyway, here is my real issue with the jets defensive strategy this year. Overall, the LBers have been very disappointing on passes this year (all are poor in coverage - Scott is decent - and they are not getting a lot of rush pressure). OK, but they have been great (along with the front three) against the run. Leading to a lot of third and long situations. And how many times have they been burnt on 3rd and long? And how many of those been at the expense of a trailing LB? Why do they leave so many LBers on the field in obvious pass situations? I would have six or seven DBs on the field. Our back up DBs may not be great, but they are certainly faster than the LBers and would probably be more effective in blitzes as well as coverage.

Our LB's are a bit slower...they do a decent job but of all positions on the field, the LB position or the player in that position is asked to do double duty and you see where we are getting cut to ribbons in the short passing game that is directed right at our LB's. Guys the offenses have adjusted, we have not.

WHEN YOU LEAVE HERE ...

* Manage expectations

* Ignore the noise

* Speak for youself

Yes, and it is these magic platitudes and boring press conferences that have resulted in the Patriots success.

WHEN YOU LEAVE HERE ...

* Manage expectations

* Ignore the noise

* Speak for youself

Thank you Garb for sharing the recipe of NFL success.

Thats all we need to do guys. Somebody make a sign and send it to Rex so he can put it on our doors, instead of "play like a Jet". Sunday we will look like the New England Patriots and we're SB bound!

Thats all we need to do guys. Somebody make a sign and send it to Rex so he can put it on our doors, instead of "play like a Jet". Sunday we will look like the New England Patriots and we're SB bound!

Praise the Lord! **** learning how to manage the clock, Rex needs to get himself one those signs. Everyone knows at least 80% of BB's success has come due to constant repetition of "one day at a time".

Spicoli, you should have paid attention in High School. I was merely pointing out the difference...not that one is better than the other. You may want to check that self-loathing fan thing you got going on.

And as much as you try to jinx, I don't see why you bother. The Pats have too many deficiencies on defense to make it far in the playoffs. Regular season, sure. Playoffs? Doubtful.

Spicoli, you should have paid attention in High School. I was merely pointing out the difference...not that one is better than the other. You may want to check that self-loathing fan thing you got going on.

And as much as you try to jinx, I don't see why you bother. The Pats have too many deficiencies on defense to make it far in the playoffs. Regular season, sure. Playoffs? Doubtful.

Send the list!!!!

How are you going to celebrate the Pats 4th SB?

This is an old coaching trick. You challenge the manhood and toughness of your team right before they take the field against a team that they should steamroll. Then, they go steamroll that crap team and it reinforces just how tough they think they are.

I am so fed up with the whiny, pansy attitude of Jets fans named "Tom Shane."

He should not be covering anyone. He should be the fourth pass rusher on EVERY pass play. When you play a 3-4, rushing one LB is not a blitz. You are not giving up anything. Too predictable? Did it matter that people knew Lawrence Taylor was rushing the passer 90% of the time. And I am not comparing Harris to LT. It is called using players to their strengths and avoiding weaknesses.

BTW, thank GOD for Harris on that one run where Forte was about to break out of the pack for a big gain, and then Harris's big paw grabbed him from behind and dragged him down for little gain.

No, no, no, no, no!

Why would anyone do that? What's so special about Harris as a pass rusher? If he was a pass rusher he'd be playing OLB in the 3-4.

Oh man are they going to hear it if Harris doesn't sign for 5 maybe 6 million/year, which he probably won't since he can do alot better on the open market.

....God help me, no. I'd rather puke than be there or in Orlando in general.

But isnt that where the team goes when they win the SB?

And if I didnt have family in Otown and spend my adolescent years there...I'd probably agree with you.

BTW - I went to the Magic/Celts game on Xmas...great game. That Amway Arena is amazing. First time there.

No, no, no, no, no!

Why would anyone do that? What's so special about Harris as a pass rusher? If he was a pass rusher he'd be playing OLB in the 3-4.

Oy veh. He is an ILB because he is strong and great against the run and is not as fast as you would want an OLB to be. As far as his pass rushing, I know he only has three sacks, so he would not get the attention of a fan like you. However, if you would like to learn more about the game, instead of watching the QB and reading stats the next day, watch a replay of one of the Jets games and watch him play. The few times they rush him, he often gets free and is pressuring the QB. If they rushed him as much as say, Pace or Thomas, he'd probably have 7 or 8 sacks. Which, for an ILB, is great.

As dumb as Mangini is, he saw this ability in Harris as a rookie. Harris had 5 sacks in 9 starts. he struggled with injuries in 2008, but then had 5.5 sacks in 2009. Again, pretty good for an ILB.

It would be swell if after he raised expectations, he coached above a high school level.

Is this 32Green from JI with a slightly different handle or an old JI'er messing with us who adore the posting styles of 32Green by slightly making fun of Klacko at the same time.

Oy veh. He is an ILB because he is strong and great against the run and is not as fast as you would want an OLB to be. As far as his pass rushing, I know he only has three sacks, so he would not get the attention of a fan like you. However, if you would like to learn more about the game, instead of watching the QB and reading stats the next day, watch a replay of one of the Jets games and watch him play. The few times they rush him, he often gets free and is pressuring the QB. If they rushed him as much as say, Pace or Thomas, he'd probably have 7 or 8 sacks. Which, for an ILB, is great.

As dumb as Mangini is, he saw this ability in Harris as a rookie. Harris had 5 sacks in 9 starts. he struggled with injuries in 2008, but then had 5.5 sacks in 2009. Again, pretty good for an ILB.

Sacks are nice. They don't make you a pass rusher. Scott had 13.5 sacks over two years at one point his career. It didn't make him a pass rusher. Ray Lewis has 38 career sacks. He's not a pass rusher. There is a reason David Harris plays inside. He can get a sack if it's there because he's a good player, but he's not the #1 pass rush option on this team.

Sacks are nice. They don't make you a pass rusher. Scott had 13.5 sacks over two years at one point his career. It didn't make him a pass rusher. Ray Lewis has 38 career sacks. He's not a pass rusher. There is a reason David Harris plays inside. He can get a sack if it's there because he's a good player, but he's not the #1 pass rush option on this team.

That's my whole point. Most people would not think he is a good pass rusher because doesn't have a ton of sacks, although he has had his share. He gets a lot of pressures relative to the amount of times they rush him. If you have the Chicago game recorded, just go back and watch the first half. They sent him more than usual. Then tell me who on the Jets is a better pass rushing option.

Archived