Rex Ryan's act wearing thin...

THE ILK

I don't understand why people have such a problem with our coach being confident. If you don't think you can win every game then why play? Bullitin board material is so overrated. These guys are professional atheletes. What one coach says does not make another team better. What it comes down to is that Rex is a man that is not afraid to say what he feels. I like that in a coach. If you don't like it I hear that the Pats have room on the wagon.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parcells never took us to back to back playoff births. And Rex got us just as far in his first year. I'm pretty excited about what Rex is doing.

Its well documented that I love everything about Rex, so this doesnt bother me at all. What he says has no bearing on the game and I'm not embarrassed by much to begin with, so god knows I'm not going to be embarrassed by something that I have absolutely physical association to other than wearing a shirt on Sundays.

I really dont see what the big deal is. I mean seriously. Whats the harm?

SERIOUSLY? you cant even compare the two. Parcells took over a 1-15 team. Rex took over a 9-7 team.

ENOUGH with the Rex talk already. JonE (mr ''backed in pathetic) brought this whole crap up. I dont even give a sh*t what Rex says anymore. seriously, playoff game tomorrow LETS GO JETS!

I'm with Mr. Maynard on this one. After the coachspeak of Mangini, Groh, Parcells and the emptyheaded gibberish of Herman Edwards, not sure it matters one way or the other. Ryan is not going to win or a lose any games because of some press conference nonsense. And other teams, playoff teams, have no more or less reason to beat the Jets. There's something I still find refreshing in Ryan refusing to be run of the mill, but if he loses he will be gone. And he knows that better than anyone.

As to motivated or master motivators or focus, these players have a very limited career. They only play 16 real games. Only 12 of 32 teams have a shot at a championship. If they aren't motivated they will be looking for work come February. If you expect anything a coach says to his players now matter more than Xs and Os and gameplans after months of meetings, suspect yo are mistaken. The idea Herman Edwards was ever going to give a rousing halftime talk to win a game was crap only sportwriters believe.How many great halftime speeches ended with a team getting spanksed anyway? We never hear about that. And all these columns about Ryan seem to fall at the end of the week when let's face it, there isn't much more to write about until after the game itself. Ryan shows one face the the press, and probably a different one to his players in meetings and at practice. And what he does there is what matters.

Bothers me much more that he hasn't quite figured out how timeouts work.

Great post, Bugg, as always.

The Jets as a whole are an organization that has to be mentioned as one of the most consistent in football these days. At least we get headlines, and with a big win tomorrow, the team could get confident enough to go all the way. It's one game at a time, and we're in it.

I'm thankful for Rex....Mangini sure as hell wasn't going to do that for us

I'm glad Rex wins, too. Very happy. That doesn't mean that I have to enjoy listening to him run his mouth or that I shouldn't cringe when he motherf*cks Tom Brady after Brady single-handedly emasculated his beloved defense on Monday Night Football. My position all along is that Rex wins and that's awesome, but Rex better keep winning because if/when the roof caves in on him, the franchise immediately becomes the laughingstock of the league. Immediately. Do I think Rex can win a Super Bowl? Sure. Do I wish he'd shut his mouth while doing so? Yes. I'm old school like that. My favorite coaches are guys like Tom Landry, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Dick Vermeil, Joe Paterno. The common thread? All egomaniacs, but all of them keep their mouths shut.

Parcells never took us to back to back playoff births. And Rex got us just as far in his first year. I'm pretty excited about what Rex is doing.

Its well documented that I love everything about Rex, so this doesnt bother me at all. What he says has no bearing on the game and I'm not embarrassed by much to begin with, so god knows I'm not going to be embarrassed by something that I have absolutely no control of or have any physical association to other than wearing a shirt on Sundays.

I really dont see what the big deal is. I mean seriously. Whats the harm?

No harm, per se. Just a stylistic issue. Negligible, ultimately.

They can feel free to borrow one of mine!

I can't believe all the whining in here. While I agree Rex needs to tone it down and KNOW when to and when not to open up his mouth, I love him as our coach. He's a sh*t talker that has lead the Jets to 2 playoffs berths in his two years here. When was the last time the Patriots won a playoff game? 4 ****in' yrs ago.

That's my whole position, really.

I don't understand why people have such a problem with our coach being confident. If you don't think you can win every game then why play? Bullitin board material is so overrated. These guys are professional atheletes. What one coach says does not make another team better. What it comes down to is that Rex is a man that is not afraid to say what he feels. I like that in a coach. If you don't like it I hear that the Pats have room on the wagon.

Welcome to the board, homey.

SERIOUSLY? you cant even compare the two. Parcells took over a 1-15 team. Rex took over a 9-7 team.

ENOUGH with the Rex talk already. JonE (mr ''backed in pathetic) brought this whole crap up. I dont even give a sh*t what Rex says anymore. seriously, playoff game tomorrow LETS GO JETS!

I will always appreciate what Parcells did for us. He turned this franchise around. We wouldnt be the competitive team we are today without him. But Rex has something here. And its something that I feel has a long term future. This is the first time ever, as a Jets fan, that I feel like we could potentially be a long time staple in the playoffs with a legitimate shot at winning it all. And thats what its all about, get to the dance, eventually you'll take the trophy.

I never had that feeling with BP.

Rex better keep winning because if/when the roof caves in on him, the franchise immediately becomes the laughingstock of the league. Immediately.

No harm, per se. Just a stylistic issue. Negligible, ultimately.

But thats my point...who's laughing? Do you really care that they are?

His "act" is tiresome at this point, and I suspect that the longer he is in place as HC of this team the more awareness he will develop about when to use boasting strategically and when to shut up. So in that regard, I don't disagree - and I share many of the same sentiments as you all have expressed.

However, to insinuate that he has talked too much and needs to produce a SB now OR ELSE is just stupid.

There has been exactly 1 SuperBowl played since Rex got the job and started his spoken word tour... ONE, and yeah, the Jets didn't win it. However, they came damn close - and really had no business coming that close in their coach and QBs rookie season.

Now, here the Jets are with one of their highest win totals in over a decade, if I recall, and in the tournament once again. Making Rex and Sanchez 2/2 on playoff appearances in their respective tenure, so despite the talk... the Jets are in fact trending upward, and that cannot go ignored.

Would I like Rex to talk less? Absolutely.

Is the only reason I am worried about him talking because I am a Jets fan and worrying is what we think we are supposed to do all day, every day? Definitely.

Whatever works is fine by me. If it stops working, I suspect Rex will adapt. I'd rather not worry about finding out if Rex will talk less if we start losing more to be honest.

No you are missing the point.

The fact that you are saying "if the team is not fully focused" is evidence that with the right approach, there are times when you can catch a team sleeping.

With Rex, there is no chance of that ever happening.

I am not saying that he is motivating them by what he says or does, but since you can hear him coming from miles away, there is no chance you will not be ready for him when he gets there.

There are times life is the prize, and still death can catch one off guard, because it does not announce itself. :blink:

I'm sorry, but I'm just not into "Whohoo, we caught them SLEEPING!!!" victories. How many times does that happen anyway? And how would you tell?

But thats my point...who's laughing? Do you really care that they are?

You know what? I do care how the Jets are perceived. I'm not one of those wackjob fans that wears Jets clothing every day and is so emotionally invested in this team that I cry myself to sleep when they lose a ballgame, but I'd like to have a team that I can be proud to root for. All I've seen over the past month-plus is foot fetish garbage, Rex trash-talk garbage, Michelle Ryan gang-bang garbage--all the while with the team limping into the playoffs. It's frustrating. You're right that this should be a great time to be a Jets fan because of the record and because of the playoffs, and Lord knows we've waited forever to see this, but now that we're having success it comes wrapped in a giant f*cking circus caused by the one sh*thead at the top.

I will always appreciate what Parcells did for us. He turned this franchise around. We wouldnt be the competitive team we are today without him. But Rex has something here. And its something that I feel has a long term future. This is the first time ever, as a Jets fan, that I feel like we could potentially be a long time staple in the playoffs with a legitimate shot at winning it all. And thats what its all about, get to the dance, eventually you'll take the trophy.

I never had that feeling with BP.

That's fair :cheers:

What Rex says has no tangible weight whatsoever. Are you seriously telling me that we win more games this year if Rex was Mr. Congeniality? It's all perception, in my opinion, and if it's not, then there is something wrong with the way people in the NFL compete.

I walk around the city and do not see young kids wearing Giant jerseys anymore. I see Jet jerseys almost exclusively. Thank you, Rex. I read polls of NFL players saying that they'd like to play FOR Rex more than any other coach in football by a WIDE margin. My team was twenty minutes from the Super Bowl and is in the playoffs yet again.

Thanks Rex!

I could give a SH-T about people that never gave a **** about our franchise in the first place possibly getting joy out of our losses and rubbing our noses in it. Our noses were already in the ******* dirt so how much WORSE can this possibly be?

I'm sorry, but I'm just not into "Whohoo, we caught them SLEEPING!!!" victories. How many times does that happen anyway? And how would you tell?

You have nothing to worry about then, because they never happen when you announce yourself all they way into battle.

Everybody is on their toes when they can hear you coming from miles away.

The Jets play has not matched the coaches boasts, calling more attention to it, is not a good thing IMO.

I wish Rex was half as good as a coach as he is a loud mouth.

Wins cures all evils. Losses just brings out the haters. Just beat the damn colts and continue having everyone say we cant win it all.

You completely contradicted yourself here... you insinuate that he is a bad coach, then say wins cure all, when the truth is he's delivered out best win total since 1998... and already produced 2 playoffs appearances in 2 years. While Mangini produced 2 in 3 years, Herm 2 in 4 years.

So unless the NFL is going to take wins away from us because Rex is a buffoon... I think you are off base.

Frankly, I think everyone (including myself) is griping about Rex talking because it reminds us all that we are stress out by our lack of confidence in the team. That isn't Rex's problem, clearly. That is our problem as a fanbase... as this mindset has been with us a lot longer than Rex has, he just has that magical way of yucking it up and boosting our collective anxieties about this damned franchise.

You completely contradicted yourself here... you insinuate that he is a bad coach, then say wins cure all, when the truth is he's delivered out best win total since 1998... and already produced 2 playoffs appearances in 2 years. While Mangini produced 2 in 3 years, Herm 2 in 4 years.

So unless the NFL is going to take wins away from us because Rex is a buffoon... I think you are off base.

Frankly, I think everyone (including myself) is griping about Rex talking because it reminds us all that we are stress out by our lack of confidence in the team. That isn't Rex's problem, clearly. That is our problem as a fanbase... as this mindset has been with us a lot longer than Rex has, he just has that magical way of yucking it up and boosting our collective anxieties about this damned franchise.

Last paragraph. FTW. The fact that I agree with you is bad.

Vote: I28

It'll die away. There's a new hip, super cool, super fly, gangster Jet fan. I know this because I am all those things. I anger/shame/sad shat my pants not once this season. Not even a once. Everyone was so proud.

I agree that hearing Rex boast "our team is the best", "our goal is to win the SB" etc. over and over gets old.

But it makes for a more interesting read than the droll coachspeak you hear from BB and Mangini.

Have you tried to sit through and listen to a Mangini press conference when he was Jets HC? It was truly painful.

Rex may be slightly over the top, but I like that better than the usual crap out there. Rex is the real deal.

Our team and fanbase went from being largely ignored and ridiculed from all those years of losing to being hated with a passion. Guess what? That's an improvement! It means the Jets are moving up in the ranks and the others don't like it. TOUGH SH*T!! Go REX! Go JETS!

Archived