Is it bad to incorporate crackbacks into an offense?

Falcon63

I probably want to go back to my old high school and coach football one day. The players actually used to talk sh*t and call me "Coach", cause I would tell people what to do all the time. But anyways, I'm thinking of the type of offense I want to try and run, and it involves a lot of off tackle runs. When I played, I had a reputation as a crackbacker. I didn't make all the hardest hits or the best plays, but I would always crack someone. I want to try and incorporate this into my scheme. This is for high school football. I was thinking an offense where I have bigger, stronger receivers go in motion and snap it when they're near the tackle, letting them crackback the DE or the OLB. I know it would work, but I never understood the Florida football rules. I know in the NCAA and NFL crackbacks ARE legal if done correct, but I got flagged A LOT in high school for 100% clean hits. Does anyone know the rule on this? It really makes running off tackle very easy, and once they start to adjust, you can send the WRs in motion again, and when the OLBs expect the crack, hit the WRs in stride with drag routes. Thoughts?

Apparently lots of teams do this. I saw a few NFL teams do this in the playoffs, including the Pats. Edelmen missed the crackback, but if he didn't, the Pats would've gotten a big gain.

Another play I have come across (because I asked the coach if we could run it with me a few times and we did and it worked pretty well in practice), is from Wing T. You motion one of the wing backs to almost like a Strong I with a weak side TE, and right as he gets in position, snap the ball and fake a FB dive to the 3/4 hole, depending on which side you run to. Have the strong side G pull to the WEAK side, and obviously have the C block down. Have the weak side G, T, and WB all block down like the C. On the snap of the ball, before you fake it, simply hand it off to the pulling G. With the C blocking down, it is impossible to see by any defender. And when you hand it off to the pulling G, have the HB fake doing the HB dive, and cut back like a counter, following the G. If you know football, you know that this is an option play, with the DE deciding who to take. Obviously you need an athletic G to pull this off.

I dunno, I've never heard of his zone blocking scheme.I sure hope so though, as he is a SB winning coach!

Don't you think you should try to learn zone blocking schemes instead of asking a bunch of fat old bastards on the internet about handing off to the pulling guard? Seems like it will do more to help your offense and there is plenty of information on-line about zone blocking schemes. Just make sure that you don't have guys blocking below the knees. You of all people should know how lame it is to need knee surgery.

As for handing off to the guard, it might work once. Might, but if you use it the other coaches will see film/hear about it and it won't work again. I'm not in favor. Like Simms said, it's dangerous to put the ball in the hands of guys who aren't used to handling it.

Don't you think you should try to learn zone blocking schemes instead of asking a bunch of fat old bastards on the internet about handing off to the pulling guard? Seems like it will do more to help your offense and there is plenty of information on-line about zone blocking schemes. Just make sure that you don't have guys blocking below the knees. You of all people should know how lame it is to need knee surgery.

As for handing off to the guard, it might work once. Might, but if you use it the other coaches will see film/hear about it and it won't work again. I'm not in favor. Like Simms said, it's dangerous to put the ball in the hands of guys who aren't used to handling it.

Hey, I'm not that old.

I DO know zone schemes, just not that particular one. And the pulling guard one would be one of those "money plays" I'd save till I needed it. And no, below the knees doesn't work for me, not only because I know the pain, but any smart DL will just lay on top of you so the LBs can see and react without having to see through the lineman.

I know I'm not the most skilled scheme-wise, however, I have a VERY high on-the-field I.Q., and I can tell how every person will react to every move put on them. Like, for example, when I played LT on stretch plays to my side, my coaches would ALWAYS yell at me because I would ride my guy outside like a pass block instead of push him upfield. But I knew that not only did it create a gigantic hole, it also completely took my man out of play. How many times have you seen a DL get pushed back really far, shed the block, and make the TD-saving tackle? I've seen it A LOT. If you block him downfield, yes it looks better on film, but it will hurt your team. The DL can always shed the block and make the tackle, but if you ride him out, turn him, and block him BACKWARDS, he'll have to catch up to the HB if he wants a tackle. Same with LG. If I was playing LG on a stretch play to my side, I didn't block him forward. I fold-blocked the NG with the C, and drove him to his team's sideline (or my team's). My point is, I think some of the schemes I have will work, not because I am some football guru, but I just use common sense in my scheme.

Oh, and....

funny_girl.jpg

No, I'm not claiming to know more than them, just in that certain situation, I think I did what was best for the team. I looked bad on film so the HB could look good on film. I wasn't trying to battle them, as they are part of the team as well, but if something is logically right, I'm going to stick with that, if you know what I mean. The whole point of football is to win, not to have fun or look good while your team suffers. My OC and OL coach completely agreed with me, just the HC thought otherwise. I definitely get what you're saying, just my HC didn't really know what he was doing, as he came to the school to be a baseball coach, and ended up coaching a sport he's never coached nor played.

ummmm

call your coach ?

He's not even my coach anymore, I don't talk to him. I moved back in December and haven't talked to him since right after my injury, since he thought it was funny. He thought I was faking, so I sweared at him and sh^t and haven't talked to him since.

Archived