Brad news: Smith may miss game

Jetfan13

Jets wide receiver and kick returner Brad Smith (groin) was limited in practice yesterday and his status is uncertain.

"I'm feeling better," Smith said. "I was able to get some reps, do some more individuals, things like that. I'm encouraged by what's going on."

Coach Rex Ryan said before Smith is cleared to play the coaches "need to see more from" him.

If Smith cannot play, that essentially wipes out the use of the Wildcat offense.

The Jets would go with cornerback Antonio Cromartie on kickoff returns. Smith was the second-leading kick returner in the NFL this season.

Cromartie, replacing Smith in the Colts game last week when he injured his groin in the first quarter, returned one kickoff 41 yards and a second one 47 yards to set up the game-winning drive.

Special teams coach Mike Westhoff said Cromartie sought him out in the middle of last week and left him a message that he wanted to help on any special teams unit he could. "Don't look for anyone else," was Cromartie's message to Westhoff.

Interestingly, Westhoff hinted Cromartie might return punts Sunday as well, in a two-deep formation with wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, the team's most dependable punt returner.

Westhoff said to Cromartie before that last kickoff return in Indianapolis, "Get us to the 50 and we win the game." Cromartie got the Jets to their own 46 and they drove for the winning field goal from there.

It seems Westhoff has seen enough -- at least for the moment -- of wide receiver Santonio Holmes on punt returns. Holmes asked to not return punts against Miami because the Dolphins' punter was kicking the ball too long for his liking. Against the Colts, Holmes had a brain cramp and nearly touched a bouncing punt early in the game.

He was banished after that.

"It was a mistake," Westhoff said diplomatically. "He misjudged the ball."

The Patriots could be shorthanded at nose tackle, with top backup Myron Pryor sidelined by a back injury. Pryor was the only New England player to sit out the entire practice session.

If Pryor can't play, rookie Kyle Love would be Pro Bowler Vince Wilfork's primary replacement in the middle.

Westhoff said he knows he'll be a target of derision in New England because, following the Sal Alosi tripping incident, he accused the Patriots of using those human walls while opposing teams return kicks.

"They'll throw snowballs at me, so don't stand close," Westhoff joked.

Ryan continued to praise Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

"He's the best in the business," Ryan said. "He prepares great. It seems like you never outprepare him or outwork him. He's always got some wrinkles for you. Just a great coach, a great competitor. I'm working to be better than him on Sunday."

It seems Westhoff has seen enough -- at least for the moment -- of wide receiver Santonio Holmes on punt returns. Holmes asked to not return punts against Miami because the Dolphins' punter was kicking the ball too long for his liking. Against the Colts, Holmes had a brain cramp and nearly touched a bouncing punt early in the game.

He was banished after that.

Very good news.

Cromartie was excellent on KOR's against Indy, but I'd rather not put too much on his plate this week. What the Jets really need from him is to be a great CB this week.

If Brad Smith is out, does McKnight get activated? I'd think so. He could serve in the same backup RB/WR role, help on K&PR's, and return to the flyer role on the punt team, too, where he was making his presence felt. Wonder if they're ready to unleash him in the defensive backfield, too... ?

how many times has brad thrown out of wildcat? once, maybe twice? that crap won't work on belli anyway. frankly i'll be happy with zero wildcat. it's just a waste of a play.

Unless they have been waiting for this game to unleash their secret play:

The Annexation of Puerto Rico

Cromartie was excellent on KOR's against Indy, but I'd rather not put too much on his plate this week. What the Jets really need from him is to be a great CB this week.

If Brad Smith is out, does McKnight get activated? I'd think so. He could serve in the same backup RB/WR role, help on K&PR's, and return to the flyer role on the punt team, too, where he was making his presence felt. Wonder if they're ready to unleash him in the defensive backfield, too... ?

How hard are kick returns? He comes off the field anyway after he returns them

McKnight shouldn't come near the field. The coaching staff doesnt trust him anyways.

Unless they have been waiting for this game to unleash their secret play:

The Annexation of Puerto Rico

methinks you're giving schotty too much credit but yet that would be amazing if brad had 3 or 4 passes in this game for 50 yards

McKnight shouldn't come near the field. The coaching staff doesnt trust him anyways.

Punt returns are hard, that's what I was getting at. Plus he'd be running them immediately after playing defense.

how many times has brad thrown out of wildcat? once, maybe twice? that crap won't work on belli anyway. frankly i'll be happy with zero wildcat. it's just a waste of a play.

We go through this a lot over here, but Brad Smith averaged almost 8 ypc. Even if you take away his big run he's still up around 6.5. If that's a waste of a play they should just punt on first down. As for "not working on belli", half the rason the league started running it was the way the Dolphins raped Belichick.

I think by too much on his plate Slats is talking about CB/KR/PR. For some reason I don't really like him on punt returns, but he was supposed to be good at them. In tandem with Cotchery it might be good. Difficult catches to Cotch and wide open let Cro try for the big gainer. I think the team trusts McKnight just fine on ST. Not sure about returns. We aren't likely to see him on offense and might have Turner active to play WR. I think Smith will be active but limited.

We go through this a lot over here, but Brad Smith averaged almost 8 ypc. Even if you take away his big run he's still up around 6.5. If that's a waste of a play they should just punt on first down. As for "not working on belli", half the rason the league started running it was the way the Dolphins raped Belichick.

Thank you for the stat. I figured it was around there. It has been a highly effective play for the Jets.

I think by too much on his plate Slats is talking about CB/KR/PR. For some reason I don't really like him on punt returns, but he was supposed to be good at them. In tandem with Cotchery it might be good. Difficult catches to Cotch and wide open let Cro try for the big gainer. I think the team trusts McKnight just fine on ST. Not sure about returns. We aren't likely to see him on offense and might have Turner active to play WR. I think Smith will be active but limited.

Cotchery should do the PR. He's the only guy I trust to catch them.

Interestingly, Westhoff hinted Cromartie might return punts Sunday as well, in a two-deep formation with wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, the team's most dependable punt returner.

Cotchery should do the PR. He's the only guy I trust to catch them.

They are talking about having them both deep. I'm sure Cotchery would catch the tough ones, but even if they just split the field, that makes it much easier on Cro. The only problem I see with is that Cromartie is going to totally suck as a blocker.

Plus he'd be running them immediately after playing defense.

Punter returning by defensive players fatigue is not as much of an issue as with kick returns. Typically if the punt return squad is on the field the defense has not been on the field for a very long time as they ended the drive before the other team could get into field goal range and possibly have only been on the field for as few as three plays. OTOH with the kick return squad the defense typically has been on the field for a sustained period of time as the opposing offense has made it all the way to the end zone or at least field goal range.

Punter returning by defensive players fatigue is not as much of an issue as with kick returns. Typically if the punt return squad is on the field the defense has not been on the field for a very long time as they ended the drive before the other team could get into field goal range and possibly have only been on the field for as few as three plays. OTOH with the kick return squad the defense typically has been on the field for a sustained period of time as the opposing offense has made it all the way to the end zone or at least field goal range.

Disagree.

The players should all be in shape. With a KOR, though, they all have the opportunity to rest during the extra point/commercial break before the KO. With a punt, there isn't usually any delay - unless someone calls a timeout. You defend a pass, then run back to get ready for the punt.

Disagree.

The players should all be in shape. With a KOR, though, they all have the opportunity to rest during the extra point/commercial break before the KO. With a punt, there isn't usually any delay - unless someone calls a timeout. You defend a pass, then run back to get ready for the punt.

Of course the player should be in shape. Doesn't mean they don't get winded as the game wears on. I will agree you defensive players do get more rest before a KR than a PR. I just think that how much they have been playing is more of a factor than the length of rest. Another factor is psychological. A corner back that just batted down a ball on third down forcing the punt is going to be too pumped up to notice he is tired. OTOH, A cornerback that just go burned on a TD pass is more likely to noticed that he is spent and need a rest.

Either way I think the effect of playing a defensive play just prior is less likely to a factor on either than needing to play offense afterwards. I.E. I think it is easier for a CB to play the last defensive snap and then be KR/PR than it is for a WR to be a KR/PR and then play in the first offensive snap.

Sanchez is going to respond with 300 yards passing and 3 TDs. Sanchez is going to beast without the stupidcat.

I actually think that this is a blessing in disguise... no interupted rhythm in the most important Jets game since SBIII (as I've been told) = GOOD, GOOD THINGS.

Sanchez is going to respond with 300 yards passing and 3 TDs. Sanchez is going to beast without the stupidcat.

He didn't get the 300 yards, which was overoptimistic, but he did get the 3 TDs. See what happens when you don't use the stupidcat? Imagine if we hadn't used the stupidcat all year, how good could Sanchez have been?

I hear Smith might be back. If we use stupidcat I guarantee we lose.

He didn't get the 300 yards, which was overoptimistic, but he did get the 3 TDs. See what happens when you don't use the stupidcat? Imagine if we hadn't used the stupidcat all year, how good could Sanchez have been?

They used it almost as much as they usually do and it worked worse. Unless you think Sanchez is hampered by all those first downs and 2 and 3s that it leaves him.

I dunno...he average 8yards per carry out of that formation.

I think we've just had a couple of drive killing calls out of that formation that have people jaded, but overall its pretty effective.

Archived