Does Sunday's gameplan only work once?

JerryK

I'm wondering if Sunday's gameplan, much like a really good magic trick, can only be performed once.

Several analyses I've read seem to conclude:

-We backed out blitzes to deny any passing (obviously WORKED)

-we "allowed" NE a short run game in order to shut down any passing.

If NE had known this ahead, I assume they could have run 200yds on us Sunday, right?

I'm a little worried that if we show up in Pitt with the same program, Handoffberger will have a good day.

I'm wondering if Sunday's gameplan, much like a really good magic trick, can only be performed once.

If NE had known this ahead, I assume they could have run 200yds on us Sunday, right?

I'm a little worried that if we show up in Pitt with the same program, Handoffberger will have a good day.

They aren't going to play Pittsburgh like this. The question is will it work more than once on NE. I think the point of it all is not letting the O know what you plan to do. Everything we've read says that Brady (and Manning) change plays based on a lot of pre-snap stuff. Therefore it is more important to disguise everything and keep it disguised until the last moment. NE didn't exactly run wild. They had two reverses that went for 11 each. Green-Ellis had a nice enough game, but Woodhead did very little on the ground.

Against Pittsburgh we will see a different look IMO. We will set up to stop their run. The Steelers O line has had some troubles and they have some injury concerns. The Ravens sacked Ben plenty. I think we'll see much more of a typical Jets D. Stuff the run and blitz on passing downs. The secondary is considerably stronger than the Ravens, so hopefully that will make the difference. The wild card is Ben's ability to extend plays. That can cause trouble. If you blitz and don't get him there are going to be some matchup problems. I've seen him shrug off guys a lot bigger than Drew Coleman. That worries me a little. That and Heath Miller.

Agreed. We have to attack the OLine constantly and over the course of the game, turn them into a set of turnstiles.

The general consensus on Ben is you don't want him rolling out, so I would expect less overloads from one side and more either straight up or from both sides at once.

I think we'll see much more of a typical Jets D. Stuff the run and blitz on passing downs. The secondary is considerably stronger than the Ravens, so hopefully that will make the difference. The wild card is Ben's ability to extend plays. That can cause trouble. If you blitz and don't get him there are going to be some matchup problems. I've seen him shrug off guys a lot bigger than Drew Coleman. That worries me a little. That and Heath Miller.

Definitely agree. A lot of wrinkles, but it will be more of what the Jets generally like to do. Revis on Mike Wallace, lots of pressure on the OL on run and passing downs. A lot of disguise on the blitzes to further frustrate their OL. Overload? Sure! But have the escape route covered, too. I think the zone coverages have worked well, and you'll continue to see more of that, too.

Jets need to continue what they've been doing on offense - score points and keep Roethlisberger off the field. Win the field position battle. Weatherford needs to get his mojo back, and Nick Folk needs to be reliable from inside 40 yards.

Revis on Mike Wallace, lots of pressure on the OL on run and passing downs.

revis on wallace or ward?

It was Ward last time.

Look at the box score and it seems Max is right. Ward 2 for 34, Wallace 7 for 102. I think that might be a matchup thing for Cromartie's sake, although the success they had throwing to Wallace might mean we should expect a change up.

I'm not sure if Cromartie was always matched up with him, but Ward had some big games against SD. 2006, only 4-49, 2008 regular season 11-124, playoffs 4-70, 2009 8-113. No picks for Cro no TDs for Ward AFAIK.

Wallace is a speed guy...pretty much the AFC's version of DeSean Jackson. Hines Ward isnt a guy that's going to kill you with big plays.

I'd probably match Revis up with Wallace....even though Cromartie is kind of the mirror of Wallace.

I agree that Wallace is the real threat here but Cro trying to tackle Hines Ward in the cold makes me very nervous.

i think maybe the better question is who can cromart handle and then letting revis draw the other

Jets have had a lot of success the past two weeks running a lot of zone coverage, and I would expect that to continue. Put Revis on Wallace as the only real deep threat, and let the rest of the secondary handle the rest of the Steelers' receivers in mostly zone packages.

Jets have had a lot of success the past two weeks running a lot of zone coverage, and I would expect that to continue. Put Revis on Wallace as the only real deep threat, and let the rest of the secondary handle the rest of the Steelers' receivers in mostly zone packages.

Sanders and Brown both have deep speed

I think we blitz them.. the steelers will do a much better job of grinding out runs with mendenhall then the colts did with addai or the pats did with woodhead.. Plus ben isn't as deadly a pocket passer as manning/brady so it's not as important to focus 100% on shutting down the passing game..

I also think that NE will have an answer for this defense next time we play them. It's like 06 when we won in NE with disguised blitzes and linemen/lb'ers standing around. We tried it again in the playoffs and the pats moved it on us.

Thing you have to understand is...we got in the Pats head...they didnt like the contact. I can tell you that WONT be the case with Pittsburgh.

New England's gay little finesse spread style offense was bound to get exposed sooner or later...especially with their lack of speed.

3 keys to stopping Rapistberger:

1) keep him in the pocket - most of the big plays happen when he breaks contain and the wr's start playing sandlot

2) take away the middle of the field - Rapist likes to work the middle of the field with deep in's and the TE

3) no bombs - make Pit drive all the way down the field. Their O isn't that good that they can sustain long drives, the 30+ yd plays are killers. make them protect, throw, and catch 5-yds at a time.

Wallace is a speed guy...pretty much the AFC's version of DeSean Jackson. Hines Ward isnt a guy that's going to kill you with big plays.

I'd probably match Revis up with Wallace....even though Cromartie is kind of the mirror of Wallace.

I think the reason they had Revis on Ward the majority of the game is that's a big blanket Ben likes to have, if you shut that down that drastically hurts his decision making and first down potential. They use Ward a lot as an extension of their run game and shutting that down really throws ben out of his rhythm, at least that's what i've noticed.

From the write up posted earlier, it seems as though Wallace did most of his damage against zone coverages in our last matchup and Cro did a pretty decent job. Should be interesting.

lol...its worked twice so far. ask peyton.

they won't approach the steelers the same way. the steelers love to run it, go deep, and then go to the TE

but the answer to your question is yes, the pats* will adjust

the chess match goes on and on

The gameplan against the Pats was almost the exact same as the one against the colts except Rex dialed up more pressure against the pats because he knew Manning couldn't be fooled while brady could, and the one time we messed up against the colts we got burned for a big TD. I expect Rex to go with the same game plan, but he may dial the blitzes back if we can get pressure with just our d line due to Pitt's o line being injured and terrible. We got killed over the middle in PITT last time, I expect Rex to clog the middle like he did against brady, and we need cro to keep the deep threat wallace at bay.

The gameplan against the Pats was almost the exact same as the one against the colts except Rex dialed up more pressure against the pats because he knew Manning couldn't be fooled while brady could, and the one time we messed up against the colts we got burned for a big TD. I expect Rex to go with the same game plan, but he may dial the blitzes back if we can get pressure with just our d line due to Pitt's o line being injured and terrible. We got killed over the middle in PITT last time, I expect Rex to clog the middle like he did against brady, and we need cro to keep the deep threat wallace at bay.

The pats oline did a poorer job then indy in picking up where it was comign from. And ellis was a beast.. but they were getting pressure with 4 guys and didn't blitz much at all..

Archived