Denver News-anotha starta gone....they aint matching guys!!!

Mean Papi Green

Spragan latest starter to depart defense

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

With the Broncos saying goodbye to another starter from last season's defense, they are on the verge of retaining some much-needed veteran depth on their depleted defensive line.

Linebacker Donnie Spragan signed a two-year contract with Miami on Wednesday worth $1.9 million. Spragan, the Broncos' starting strongside linebacker in 2004, joins defensive end Reggie Hayward (Jacksonville) and safety Kenoy Kennedy (Detroit) as starters who bolted in free agency. However, the sting of Spragan's departure was lessened by Ian Gold's signing last week.

The Broncos' work on the defensive line continues. The team is close to re-signing defensive tackle Luther Elliss, a Mancos native who is likely to sign a one-year contract for the second consecutive year.

Denver hopes to bring back Elliss, who'll be 32 this month, to provide depth and leadership. Elliss missed most of last season with shoulder, calf and back injuries.

"I really appreciate Denver giving me the chance to come back and try to contribute after a tough season," Elliss said.

Denver is looking for starters at end to replace Hayward and Trevor Pryce, whom the team is trying to trade to clear salary cap room. The agent for Miami defensive end Bryan Robinson, who visited Denver on Monday, said he hopes to have a deal with the Broncos soon.

Denver also may be interested in Philadelphia's Derrick Burgess and St. Louis' Bryce Fisher at end. The Broncos have discussed the return of Marco Coleman, who played well last season during Pryce's absence. Coleman has said he is open to returning.

JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

The agent for defensive tackle Ellis Johnson said he had discussions with the Broncos this week, but is talking to other teams.

Denver likely will use its No. 25 draft choice for help at defensive end.

Meanwhile, the Broncos also are mulling whether to match the Jets' offer to restricted free- agent Jeb Putzier. New York signed the tight end to a five- year, $12.5 million deal, and Denver has until Friday to match that offer, which one NFL source said is likely. If so, the Jets could offer a package of draft picks or a midround pick for Putzier. The Broncos have been talking to Detroit's Ste- phen Alexander as a possible replacement for Putzier.

"I'm just sitting and waiting," Putzier said Wednesday. "It's only a couple of more days, but it's a little nerve-racking."

Veteran quarterback Jeff Garcia, who has visited Denver, will be in Seattle today and is likely to make a decision by the end of the week.

I heard him on Sirius NFL and it got me stoked for him...which probably means he'll end up back with Denver! dry.gif

It's good to hear that he is a good guy. If you saw him play you would be even more excited about the prospect of getting him. He is very good.

It's good to hear that he is a good guy. If you saw him play you would be even more excited about the prospect of getting him. He is very good.

Well then RS, don't tell me exactly how good he is. I seem to have a knack for jinxing who I pine for in Green & White!

V-G

I seem to have a knack for jinxing who I pine for in Green & White!

it sounds like my love life ?!?

... let's say that i root for the kid to come to our team & you root for me to meet a pretty young thing by friday :wink: ...

l_j_r

Archived