Dustin Keller

Irish Jet

You mean like in the Indy game when he was open at the goal line, running parallel to it for 17 yards with no one near him, and Sanchez never threw him the ball until he'd reached the coverage at the sideline?

I like Sanchez, but he's also made it hard for receivers (including Keller) to look as good as they are (nevermind making them look better than they are like the game's best passers). He throws behind his receivers, too high, too low, and too late too often. It'll improve; he's got his best football ahead of him. But don't confuse his clutch late play mask how awful he's looked in the first half or more of almost every game he's ever played for us. I would love to see Schottenheimer replaced with someone better, but c'mon Schottenheimer doesn't gameplan for Sanchez to not hit guys in stride or not throw the ball their way at all until the coverage has caught up to them. Same thing with Keller. The guy is certainly not playing like a star TE - which is the only type a fan accepts when a first round pick, to say nothing of trading up into the first round, is used to get him. But watching from TV most games I can only imagine what I've seen in the few games I've been to. Guys are open on a lot of plays where the ball is delivered off-target or isn't delivered their way at all.

When Sanchez doesn't hesitate so much before letting the ball loose, and becomes more accurate when he does, it'll go a long way to making any receiver or playcaller look a whole lot better. Even one like Schottenheimer who I dislike.

Sanchez was overthrowing his receivers through the entire playoffs. Going back and watching this game, what's funny is how often the receivers bailed him out. I mean, Edwards will make a SICK catch a foot above his head and he will make it look like it was a good throw, but it was awful, in reality. Our receivers have been playing lights out recently, but you wouldn't notice it normally.

I believe in Sanchez, not knocking his overall development because I think he'll be just fine. But this year - with this limited experience - it wasn't time for him yet, let alone with the injury.

Keller is a good football player, he's just not that smart. How many times have you seen him catch a ball, need 1 yard for the first down and either he goes out of bounds or just falls down? Other times, he's got the first down and he decides "why not leap in mid-air for that extra yard and a half? why not do a somersault into three defenders for that extra 2 yards?" Stupid.

Every time I see Keller catch the ball, I'm yelling either, "fight for it!" or "get down, hit the ground!" and he's almost always doing the OPPOSITE.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If those were the only problems I wouldn't blame Schitty like I do. Schitty uses way too many useless shifts, doesn't get playcalls in quickly, uses too much gimmicky stuff that just fails, and seems to have no feel for a rhythm of the game. One of my peeves is when there is a questionable call. If it's questionable in your favor and you're on offense everyone should be coached to run to the line and run a quick play. We never do that. We also don't go into the no-huddle near quickly enough. We rarely play with a sense of urgency.

That's a lot of things to fix up and they should have been fixed a long time ago. Everything else I can excuse. Hell I can even live with the useless shifts, as long as you get the playcall in and mix it up with no shifts and quick snaps. We always get less plays as an offense than other teams because we waste so much time and always come out unprepared as well.

That first drive should pretty much just be a no-huddle drive, every play should already be scripted. Everyone should already know each sequence of plays. Even if it's 3 and out, at least you should know the 3 plays.

He is Marty's son. Marty's specialty was never quite getting there. Could it be genetic?

Sanchez was overthrowing his receivers through the entire playoffs. Going back and watching this game, what's funny is how often the receivers bailed him out. I mean, Edwards will make a SICK catch a foot above his head and he will make it look like it was a good throw, but it was awful, in reality. Our receivers have been playing lights out recently, but you wouldn't notice it normally.

I believe in Sanchez, not knocking his overall development because I think he'll be just fine. But this year - with this limited experience - it wasn't time for him yet, let alone with the injury.

Keller is a good football player, he's just not that smart. How many times have you seen him catch a ball, need 1 yard for the first down and either he goes out of bounds or just falls down? Other times, he's got the first down and he decides "why not leap in mid-air for that extra yard and a half? why not do a somersault into three defenders for that extra 2 yards?" Stupid.

Every time I see Keller catch the ball, I'm yelling either, "fight for it!" or "get down, hit the ground!" and he's almost always doing the OPPOSITE.

I have no way of knowing but I sense that Keller misses assignments all the time and is thus frozen out of games. That seems to be the way B.S. reacts to failure. As for B.E., he does make acrobatic catches. He also jumps for every ball he catches like a Pop Warner receiver. Are the Jet receivers poorly coached, or do they just ignore instruction? Who knows?. There is too much body in their catch. And how Braylon went through all those levels of football without learning not to jump on every play is just mind numbing. Catching the ball in stride might give you the step you need to bust one long. Jumping allows the coverage to catch up to the play.

I have no way of knowing but I sense that Keller misses assignments all the time and is thus frozen out of games. That seems to be the way B.S. reacts to failure. As for B.E., he does make acrobatic catches. He also jumps for every ball he catches like a Pop Warner receiver. Are the Jet receivers poorly coached, or do they just ignore instruction? Who knows?. There is too much body in their catch. And how Braylon went through all those levels of football without learning not to jump on every play is just mind numbing. Catching the ball in stride might give you the step you need to bust one long. Jumping allows the coverage to catch up to the play.

That is true with BE....he has terrible mechanics.

Holmes is a body catcher too and Cotchery has regressed (a disgrace). If you are looking for a scapegoat I nominate Henry Ellard.

Holmes is a body catcher too and Cotchery has regressed (a disgrace). If you are looking for a scapegoat I nominate Henry Ellard.

Yeah, agreed. All 3 have been poor.

How one makes it to the NFL and makes the routine catches with his body is puzzling.

All the pass catchers on the team do. Keller and Edwards are definitely two major culprits...even with his excellent season and all the nice things I've said about him I'm a little leery of Edwards because of these mechanics of his.

27 might be onto something with Ellard, who a few other sharp posters would get in for seconds at a time during the season. I thought Ellard came in here with a decent rep but except for Edwards all the pass catches looked worse than they usually did...and I think Edwards was just playing more towards his natural talent.

Dustin Pussy Keller. Alliagtor arms . OUT!!! Only time this Bitch catches the ball is if its thrown right in his gut and no ones around him. He never gets YAC EVER and never puts a hurting on anyone. He does not fit the mold of this team and while he might show flashes here and there the main job of a TE is to get the Tough yards and make the tough catches and he never does.

maybe Jeff Cunningham will be the real deal. in any event I agree with you about Killer-Keller!

Archived