3 years ago today, if I were to tell you...

Klecko73isGod

that in the following season, Brett Favre would be the Jets QB and we would miss the playoffs at 9-7 and then fire Mangini, hire Buddy Ryan's son as our head coach, draft Mark Sanchez (who at that point had started about four games at USC) with the number five overall pick and proceed to go to back to back AFC Championship Games while winning four road playoff games, including beating San Diego, Indy and New England all in their own buildings, and all of this with Brian Schottenheimer as our OC.... oh and Jason Taylor would be a Jet, you would have rightfully accused me of smoking crack.

For all those screaming "SOJ" and declaring the season a failure, get a little perspective. We've come a long way in a very short period of time and because of the tenure of our HC and the age of our QB, our window is just beginning to open.

To put this into the kind of words most have grown accustomed to coming from me: take your heads out of your asses. This is only the beginning folks.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season was supposed to be the year that everything fit. Status quo compared to last year was to be unacceptable. The Jets re-tooled their team to match up better with the Colts and the Pats.

What they forgot, was the toughness, and that is where the Steelers beat them to the draw. We were led to believe that would never leave the team. Well it did. In the biggest game.

It makes this year a failed mission.

If they win next year, then I will allow this stain to go away. Until that point, this is still a stain.

The better team did not win on Sunday, and that is something that everyone in the organization should feel accountable for.

This season was supposed to be the year that everything fit. Status quo compared to last year was to be unacceptable. The Jets re-tooled their team to match up better with the Colts and the Pats.

What they forgot, was the toughness, and that is where the Steelers beat them to the draw. We were led to believe that would never leave the team. Well it did. In the biggest game.

It makes this year a failed mission.

If they win next year, then I will allow this stain to go away. Until that point, this is still a stain.

The better team did not win on Sunday, and that is something that everyone in the organization should feel accountable for.

:hand:

Only a fool expects a championship.

Go **** yourself. You have your expectations, I have mine.

Ask the Jets what their expectations were.

If you want to excuse away this failure, have it it. It may speak more to you personally. Just don't lump me in that group.

The Jets put everything they could into a Super Bowl run this season and came up short. It was great ride but the team continues to search for answers for the next season

:hand:

Only a fool expects a championship.

Only a lifelong Jets fan expects to never see one and continues to cite silver linings as though they were acceptable, even after decades of heartbreak.

I don't wish the Jets were one of many teams in far, far worse shape. I can kind of deal with it when I know we're just not good enough - either because of inferior coaching, inferior talent, or both. But this team was good enough. How much more talented of a team does a fan realistically expect to see his team field?

We'll be back for more next year. But this one really hurts, and they let us down big-time on Sunday.

The Jets put everything they could into a Super Bowl run this season and came up short. It was great ride but the team continues to search for answers for the next season

4H, if they put everything that they could have into this, I would be ok,

That first half was not an "effort" first half. It was a first half that they tackled like some high school squad. They were on their heels.

When you have "effort" problems in the Championship game for your conference, I think fans have a right to be disturbed. Especially given what this team was supposed to be made of. The defense shrunk.

My feelings are the Jets were the better team. That is debatable. What is not debatable is the effort they came out with. That should haunt this team for 365 days (or whenever the next championship is.

And with that, the Jets are guaranteed NOTHING next year. Start all over

Go **** yourself. You have your expectations, I have mine.

Ask the Jets what their expectations were.

If you want to excuse away this failure, have it it. It may speak more to you personally. Just don't lump me in that group.

I didn't expect a championship. I didn't even think we'd get back to the AFC Championship Game.

If you really believed, prior to the season, that Mark Sanchez was going to lead us to a championship this year, I'm sorry but you're a fool - and I'm a Sanchez fan.

He wasn't ready. Now it turns out that he wasn't the problem, the D-line was the biggest issue. Well, its hard to overcome the loss of player like Kris Jenkins. If he was on the field Sunday, who knows. But he only lasted five plays into the season so if you really believed we could still win it all after that point, I'm sorry but you're a fool. And when I say that I don't necessarily mean you in particular.

So much has more has to go right than wrong in order to win the whole thing. One or two little things go wrong and you lose your shot while you need 1000 things to go right for it to actually happen.

I just expect my Jets to be competitive. Get to the tournament. But asking a team to go on the road and beat three Super Bowl winning QBs, arguably the best three of their generation, is asking too much.

Had the Jets won on Sunday they would have completed the toughest road any team has ever taken to the Super Bowl - by a wide margin. It's unrealistic to believe that it's possible.

The goal is still alive. The core is still going to be there.

Time for Tanny to plug the holes and address the areas of need and then we focus on winning the division and getting a bye and taking the last two steps.

Crying about it doesn't do anything for anyone. I cried Sunday night. Then I woke up Monday morning and took a hard look at this team and decided I like what I see moving forward.

I refuse to whine about anything. We're in better shape than 29 other teams.

3 years ago, if I were to tell you that we'd lose back to back championship games and some homer would start a thread like this trying make everyone adopt his homerific outlook, would you have believed it?

Let people be pissed off, they'll get over it. We blew a chance this year cause the team came out flat. It kinda sucks, we coulda beat them with better effort in the first half. re: the window just opening, you really have no clue. There might not even be football next year and until Sanchez proves he's an elite QB we can't expect to be here every year, like NE and Indy. Signs point that way, but the kid has way to many stretches where he;'s plain awful

4H, if they put everything that they could have into this, I would be ok,

That first half was not an "effort" first half. It was a first half that they tackled like some high school squad. They were on their heels.

When you have "effort" problems in the Championship game for your conference, I think fans have a right to be disturbed. Especially given what this team was supposed to be made of. The defense shrunk.

My feelings are the Jets were the better team. That is debatable. What is not debatable is the effort they came out with. That should haunt this team for 365 days (or whenever the next championship is.

And with that, the Jets are guaranteed NOTHING next year. Start all over

Scott I was referring to the personnel moves they made..Cromartie, Holmes, Taylor,LT..I completely agree with you, that first half of football was embarrassing to say the least. I went in thinking the Jets were the better team and walked out of the stadium feeling the same way. I will never understand how a team comes out flat in an AFCCG

I didn't expect a championship. I didn't even think we'd get back to the AFC Championship Game.

If you really believed, prior to the season, that Mark Sanchez was going to lead us to a championship this year, I'm sorry but you're a fool - and I'm a Sanchez fan.

He wasn't ready. Now it turns out that he wasn't the problem, the D-line was the biggest issue. Well, its hard to overcome the loss of player like Kris Jenkins. If he was on the field Sunday, who knows. But he only lasted five plays into the season so if you really believed we could still win it all after that point, I'm sorry but you're a fool. And when I say that I don't necessarily mean you in particular.

So much has more has to go right than wrong in order to win the whole thing. One or two little things go wrong and you lose your shot while you need 1000 things to go right for it to actually happen.

I just expect my Jets to be competitive. Get to the tournament. But asking a team to go on the road and beat three Super Bowl winning QBs, arguably the best three of their generation, is asking too much.

Had the Jets won on Sunday they would have completed the toughest road any team has ever taken to the Super Bowl - by a wide margin. It's unrealistic to believe that it's possible.

The goal is still alive. The core is still going to be there.

Time for Tanny to plug the holes and address the areas of need and then we focus on winning the division and getting a bye and taking the last two steps.

Crying about it doesn't do anything for anyone. I cried Sunday night. Then I woke up Monday morning and took a hard look at this team and decided I like what I see moving forward.

I refuse to whine about anything. We're in better shape than 29 other teams.

The goal is still alive? What the **** is that supposed to mean? Do you even read what you write?

Good God, stop telling us how to feel.

Only a lifelong Jets fan expects to never see one and continues to cite silver linings as though they were acceptable, even after decades of heartbreak.

I don't wish the Jets were one of many teams in far, far worse shape. I can kind of deal with it when I know we're just not good enough - either because of inferior coaching, inferior talent, or both. But this team was good enough. How much more talented of a team does a fan realistically expect to see his team field?

We'll be back for more next year. But this one really hurts, and they let us down big-time on Sunday.

Boy, talk about missing the point. I am a Yankees fan and guess what, I never expect the Yankees to win it all. I expect them to be competitive and put themselves in a position to win every year. Expecting a championship is lunacy. Too much has to go right for it to happen and too little has to go wrong to completely derail you.

Were they good enough? Yes. Did they win? No. Are they the first team that was good enough to win it and didn't? Not by a longshot.

I understand that this is a new, alien feeling to Jets/Mets fans. I refuse to feel sorry for myself. The Jets will be back.

Scott I was referring to the personnel moves they made..Cromartie, Holmes, Taylor,LT..I completely agree with you, that first half of football was embarrassing to say the least. I went in thinking the Jets were the better team and walked out of the stadium feeling the same way. I will never understand how a team comes out flat in an AFCCG

We are a band of brothers, and to the brotherhood, this one hurt.

If we are not allowed to feel that way, and others try to convince us otherwise, well the band is smaller.

Boy, talk about missing the point. I am a Yankees fan and guess what, I never expect the Yankees to win it all. I expect them to be competitive and put themselves in a position to win every year. Expecting a championship is lunacy. Too much has to go right for it to happen and too little has to go wrong to completely derail you.

Were they good enough? Yes. Did they win? No. Are they the first team that was good enough to win it and didn't? Not by a longshot.

I understand that this is a new, alien feeling to Jets/Mets fans. I refuse to feel sorry for myself. The Jets will be back.

To compare the Yankees to the jets, along with expectations shows how truly clueless you are.

No offense meant but shut up while you only look foolish.

Klecko, honest question.

How old are you?

39, I remember 1982. I was heartbroken. In 1998 I was literally packing my bags at halftime.

I'm in that group that's never seen them win but has enjoyed all of the disappointment. I believe we are the best group of fans on the planet and fanbase can hold a candle to us.

I also believe that a thread like this is proof positive that we could ban all trolls right now and this place would never, ever become a circle jerk. Ask 10 Jets fans a question and you'll get 10 different opinions and they'll fight tooth and nail to convince you they are right.

Most of you guys became Jets fans because of your fathers. I became a Jets fan because of my Mother. She is the one who took me to games. And she would always tell me after particularly tough losses that "to be a Jets fan is to be an eternal optimist." Only one guy I know really and truly lives up to that attitude and its Bergenjet - biggest homer on the planet.

Now, when that game was over and I was done crying I heard my Mother's voice: "to be a Jets fan is to be an eternal optimist." And you know what? She's right. There's a lot to be optimistic about.

39, I remember 1982. I was heartbroken. In 1998 I was literally packing my bags at halftime.

I'm in that group that's never seen them win but has enjoyed all of the disappointment. I believe we are the best group of fans on the planet and fanbase can hold a candle to us.

I also believe that a thread like this is proof positive that we could ban all trolls right now and this place would never, ever become a circle jerk. Ask 10 Jets fans a question and you'll get 10 different opinions and they'll fight tooth and nail to convince you they are right.

Most of you guys became Jets fans because of your fathers. I became a Jets fan because of my Mother. She is the one who took me to games. And she would always tell me after particularly tough losses that "to be a Jets fan is to be an eternal optimist." Only one guy I know really and truly lives up to that attitude and its Bergenjet - biggest homer on the planet.

Now, when that game was over and I was done crying I heard my Mother's voice: "to be a Jets fan is to be an eternal optimist." And you know what? She's right. There's a lot to be optimistic about.

I became a Jets fan due to having a low IQ. Plus my life back then looked like it would become too happy.

I think the "Jets were the better team" was a little far fetched. I still think Pittsburgh slightly better.

Steelers are a bit better, but not by much. When Sanchez is having an on day, the jets are probably better to be honest..

After being a jet fan for over 30 years, I hold my head up high now and I am proud of this team, the organization and look forward to the future. This "built to win this year only" and we now lost our opportunity is a bunch of horsesh*t.

Never, I mean never have I heard players from other teams now say they want to play for the Jets and Rex. This means now talent will now consider us as a great option to win as oppose to laugh at us or view us as pay dya or last resort (the Raiders).

This also means players will be less likely to jump ship and play with heart!

I'm excited about the future. This season was not a failure! I will raise my Moral banner proudly!

They were also arm tackling.

It was tough to watch. Mendenhall does that to people though....he's a good back, by far the best in the playoffs that we had to face.

Curious that the Pats didnt try and use the Law Firm more...he's sort of a poor mans Mendenhall.

Archived