Wow - Jeff Fisher fired in Tennessee

NJ

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/27/report-jeff-fisher-on-the-way-out-in-tennessee/

Don Banks of SI.com reports that the Titans and Fisher are preparing to part ways, and the move could be announced as early as Friday. It’s not clear whether they’ll call it a firing, a resignation or a mutual decision, but one way or the other it appears that Fisher is out.

Fisher is the league’s longest-tenured head coach, having gotten the job in 1994 when the franchise was still known as the Houston Oilers. He and Adams didn’t appear to be seeing eye-to-eye during the 2010 season, particularly with regards to Vince Young, but Adams said after the regular season had ended that Young was on the way out and Fisher would be retained.

Now there seems to have been a change of heart, and Fisher seems to be moving on.

They already got rid of VY I believe. Fisher sucked though, so this is the smarter decision.

In 14 years in Tennessee He had 6 winning seasons. Hell Herm Edwards and Mangini as Jets coaches aren't too far off that mark. This guy is the most overrated coach in the league.

I'd imagine the next coach will find a way to win with CJ2k and Kenny Britt.

I wonder which franchise will --whoops!-- fire their coach in order to --whoops!-- hire Jeff Fisher, even at this point. I could see Houston pulling the rug out from under Kubiak for him.

Notwithstanding the 6 winning seasons thing, this is the best proven NFL coach on the market, including Cowher. His teams are always prepared and competitive. Please God allow the Dolphins to keep screwing the pooch. Jeff Ireland might look ridiculous but he could easily make the move.

Wonder if the Bears or Giants or possibly the Redskins get itchy fingers.

Smith's Bears were pretty soft when it mattered.Plus Fisher is a former Bear.

Tom Coughlin is a retirement to a fairway in Florida waiting to happen.

And Shanahan without Elway plus Snyder is a disaster.

Holmgren and Jerry Jones are breaking furniture as I type this.

They already got rid of VY I believe. Fisher sucked though, so this is the smarter decision.

In 14 years in Tennessee He had 6 winning seasons. Hell Herm Edwards and Mangini as Jets coaches aren't too far off that mark. This guy is the most overrated coach in the league.

I'd imagine the next coach will find a way to win with CJ2k and Kenny Britt.

They ANNOUNCED they were going to cut Young.

They can't cut him yet, so they still have him.

Notwithstanding the 6 winning seasons thing, this is the best proven NFL coach on the market, including Cowher. His teams are always prepared and competitive. Please God allow the Dolphins to keep screwing the pooch. Jeff Ireland might look ridiculous but he could easily make the move.

Wonder if the Bears or Giants or possibly the Redskins get itchy fingers.

Smith's Bears were pretty soft when it mattered.Plus Fisher is a former Bear.

Tom Coughlin is a retirement to a fairway in Florida waiting to happen.

And Shanahan without Elway plus Snyder is a disaster.

Holmgren and Jerry Jones are breaking furniture as I type this.

None of those places will fire their coach. Coughlin is safe, Lovie just made the NFC championship and Redskins are going to give shanny time to turn it around.

Intriguing-the Colts.

Manning is right now in negotiations for a new contract.Practically he has 3 good years left. The AFC South will consists of Kubiak/Texans, DelRIo/Jags and New Guy/Titans. The Colts are again facing a very week division.But they have one glaring weakness-Jim Caldwell.

How do they not cast their eye at Fisher? Caldwell is an embarrassment who only has a job because they respected DUngy.Manning wasn't happy with how the game ended and on the sideline was seen questioning the dolt's timeout.

Intriguing-the Colts.

Manning is right now in negotiations for a new contract.Practically he has 3 good years left. The AFC South will consists of Kubiak/Texans, DelRIo/Jags and New Guy/Titans. The Colts are again facing a very week division.But they have one glaring weakness-Jim Caldwell.

How do they not cast their eye at Fisher? Caldwell is an embarrassment who only has a job because they respected DUngy.Manning wasn't happy with how the game ended and on the sideline was seen questioning the dolt's timeout.

Great, great thought. That would be a match made in Heaven for Peyton. Caldwell is definitely of the Herm Edwards School of Dungy Disciples.

ZOMG HIRE SCHOTTY AND SAVE US ALL!!!!1111

Been calling Fisher overrated for years...Weird to see a different coach in Tenn, but also really won't give a damn. His teams when things were going well could be described as "tough" or "gritty" but really were just dirty...I guess. I wonder how real those Mangini rumors were...if he's hired there I think I'm off the wagon...he'd officially be a guy organizations bring in to help with a facelift and will quickly get rid of for someone a little more aggressive and tough.

Have to think Jerry Jones is disappointed with this development...heard him and Fischer get along extremely well...suspect he ends up in TV studio next year and waits it out the best deal for him...he's well respected and can choose a landing spot of his own preference.

As much as I'd like to see Schotty Jr. get the opportunity the odds are the Titans hire Munchak. Hopefully Schotty Jr. get another offer sooner than later.

Match made in heaven for Peyton, maybe. Definitely not for Polian.

Bill Polian is semi-retired anyway. I believe his son Chris is in line as successor. Maybe Pop can help his kid out by not saddling him with old Dungy favors.

Btw, if the Colts fire a black coach, do they have to interview another black coach before they hire Fisher? Seems a bit extraneous.

Jeff Fisher is a GREAT coach.

That front office drafts a bunch of athletes and he molds them into football players. With a lesser coach, the Titans would have been in the first pick sweepstakes more than once over the past few years.

That team made the playoffs in '07 with Vince Young as its QB and LenDale White as its RB. Are you ******* kidding me?

Losing Fisher and Washburn is going to kill that franchise.

Bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I told you all. Vince Young stays Jeff Douche Bag Fisher goes!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Titans still plan to trade or release Vince Young following Jeff Fisher's exit as head coach.

Interesting. The Titans' front office had clearly soured on V.Y. by the end of the season, but owner Bud Adams remained a staunch supporter. This news suggests the fissure between Fisher and Adams runs deeper, and perhaps that Fisher had seen the writing on the wall for weeks. Per NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, Young's lack of work ethic is "legendary" in the locker room and around the NFL. With his trade value in the tank, Young is as likely to be released as traded.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Archived