The Jets will Rise Again

Maxman

draftdaddy.gif

2ah7djl-300x225.jpg2011 Senior Bowl players who fit the New York Jets draft needs

By Matt Bitonti – DraftDaddy.com

Last week, I was Alabama watching the Senior Bowl practices. Like a glass of iced tea, syrupy sweet and brewed by the sun, this trip was the perfect refreshment to wash away the bad taste of the AFC Championship loss. While blizzards raged back home, I ate barbecue on a porch built in 1858 and realized that the Jets will rise again, my friends! The Jets will rise again!

This Jets front office historically has leaned on the Senior Bowl for talent. Talented players such as D’Brickashaw Ferguson, David Harris, and Nick Mangold were dominant as Senior Bowlers, and last year, Rex’s favorite fullback “The Terminator” John Conner showed up mid-week as an injury replacement.

As they showed on the NFL Network broadcast, going back to the early years, “Broadway” Joe Namath was a Senior Bowl participant in 1965. While the Jets do look at juniors as well (recent picks include Mark Sanchez, Darrelle Revis and Vernon Gholston) the Senior Bowl players listed below are several that fit the Jets schemes and draft needs.

Senior Bowl prospects that are highly unlikely to be on the board for the 30 pick.

This year the Jets have a first rounder at 30 overall, a third rounder at 96 and a couple of late day three picks. They do not have a lot of ammo to trade up but as always, it’s a possibility GM Mike Tannenbaum finds a way to make a deal.

LB Von Miller, Texas A&M: Miller is smart, can pass rush like a demon, cover running backs and tight ends, and in general was most likely defender at the Senior Bowl to make an impact play. He is a player with rare athletic gifts and Miller projects as a slightly undersized outside linebacker in Rex’s defense (examples from other 3-4’s include Clay Matthews or James Harrison). But Miller also fits as a strong side 4-3 SLB and this might actually be his best position. Either way he is a likely day 1 starter in any defensive scheme, and his draft stock is soaring from top 20 before the week, to borderline top 10 status after the week.

DE Cameron Jordan, California: Jordan fits the Rex Ryan 3-4 defense very well, as exactly the type of Shaun Ellis replacement they want out of this draft. Jordan had a flat out beastly week of practice. I remember B.J. Raji having a similar week several years ago, and it was that kind of elite performance that Jordan gave. Jordan can pass rush from the inside and out, he can play many positions, and had his way with very good offensive line prospects all week long. We never know what’s going to happen on draft day but barring some disaster, it’s a safe bet that Jordan becomes a top 20 selection. I don’t see how the Jets, who usually like to deal, have that kind of ammo to get Jordan. But if there is an ideal Jets draft pick in Mobile last week, Jordan might be that guy.

Senior Bowl prospects that are unlikely to be on the board for the 30 pick.

Last year we saw thousands upon thousands of mock draft projections on the Internet, none of which had Kyle Wilson lasting to the 28th pick. In that spirit, these players could be picked around 30, despite being projected higher. In other words, these are players the Jets hope fall (but probably won’t):

LB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue: Kerrigan was outstanding in Senior Bowl practices as an edge rusher. He’s athletic and hard-working; He fits in any scheme, either as a hand-in-the-dirt weak side end in the 4-3 or a stand up outside backer in the 3-4. For these reasons and many more, Kerrigan is unlikely to be at the 30th overall pick, when the Jets pick. But he doesn’t have ideal 4-3 DE size and if enough other players get picked, he could fall through the cracks with the “tweener” label. But pending workouts, should go in the teens..

DT Christian Ballard, Iowa: Ballard was excellent in the Pit drills, where offensive and defensive linemen go one-on-one. He showed quickness and aggression against interior linemen and was also stout at point of attack in the run game. He has great hand-play and could fit several schems: Ballard projects either as a LDE in the 4-3 that plays DT on pass downs or he could be a 5-tech in Rex’s 3-4 defensive scheme. Ballard is a player I could see selected being tantalizingly close to the Jets pick, and probably is gone if the Jets win last week; as there would be a scenario where he gets all the way down the board, and then picked by either Pittsburgh and Green Bay. The Jets pick before both 3-4 needy teams so that’s one silver lining.

DT Cameron Heyward, Ohio State: To be fair, Heyward didn’t go to the Senior Bowl as he was recovering from elbow surgery but similar to Cameron Jordan, this is another ideal Jets scouting department pick. Legacy son of Iron-head, Cameron Heyward started as a freshman and dominated for 4 years at Ohio State. If he’s there at 30 it’s a slam-dunk easy pick for the Jets. But the ideal 5-tech make it to 30? Probably not but the chances are far better with him sitting out of the Senior Bowl. It should be noted that his injury was severe enough to go under the knife, but not severe enough for this tough guy to leave the Cotton Bowl game, where he gave an outstanding performance.

Senior Bowl prospects that are likely to be on the board for the 30 pick.

The draft is a funny business. If a draftnik could predict half of the draft picks in the first round every year he’d be the best draft genius up there with Mel Kiper and Rick Gosselin. It would be like hitting .500 in baseball every year. Like baseball if you predict three out of every ten picks you are pretty darn good.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I’m going to list several players for whom it is reasonable to believe they will be there at 30 overall. But just like the players above could go lower, these players could certainly higher. Projections are fun and games but most become worthless once the draft actually gets going.

LB Brooks Reed, Arizona: Reed really impressed in pass rush situations, more than many other so-called big names. He beat Derek Sherrod several times during the week, and he generally hustled his a$$ off He has an array of pass rush moves, and is never on the turf. People are calling him a 3rd rounder.but mark my words, if he has a great run at the combine, i could see him sneaking up the board. At the weigh-in he recorded 6025 257 (ideal 3-4 OLB measurements) and looked to be in great shape. Assuming Ryan Kerrigan and other pass rushers above are long gone. I could see the Jets “reaching” for this player at 30, and I could also see him being an excellent pass rusher in the league for many years.

LB Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma: Beal didn’t pass rush like a first rounder in Mobile and that is what makes him less than ideal as the Jets target. The Jets I believe are looking for a pass rusher, especially if Jason Taylor retires they are very thin at that position. But as a pass rusher, Beal was often a step short. Still, Beal did exhibit many other useful traits. Beal was relentless against the run, smart diagnosing plays and has the big game resume that most teams look for in high picks. At 268 pounds, Beal also has a physical upside that is rare to find when looking for 3-4 outside linebackers. If he runs slowly, maybe he’s more of a second or third round grade but I got to believe the Jets are looking at this player very closely.

WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami: If the Jets lose two out of the three wide receiver free agents (Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards, and Santonio Holmes), they might be in the wide receiver market again. Granted they hate to draft wide receivers high, but the last time this team drafted a first round wide receiver it was another Miami player in Santana Moss, who paid pretty good dividends (at least by draft standards where more than half the players bust). If Moss is more like Holmes, Hankerson is more like Edwards, and he played on another level last week. He was a professional receiver in Mobile, while others were still just prospects. He’s productive, has huge hands, and can use his body to muscle out defenders. In the game (and on film) he shows the knack for making tough catches in clutch situations.

Senior Bowl prospects that the Jets could take with the third round pick.

S Quentin Carter, Oklahoma, S Deandre McDaniel, Clemson, and S Ahmad Black, Florida: The biggest need on the defense besides rush linebacker is probably free safety. Unfortunately it’s not a great crop and at this time there’s no safety clearly worth the 30th pick. But there’s a nice bumper crop of depth and I believe the Jets will use this pick to sure up their defensive backfield. Carter is a fluid athlete going backward and forward and a bit of a ball-hawk. McDaniel is more of a headhunter but still has the athleticism to cover ground. Black is short but plays huge, like Colts safety Bob Sanders. Black has great instincts and knows where to be on the field during any given play. Of these three names, one or more should be there at around 100 overall, and all three can help the Jets.

CB Rashad Carmichael, Virginia Tech: If the Jets decide to move Dwight Lowery permanently to free safety, they could be in the market for a cornerback instead of a safety. If this player runs as fast as he looked last week, it’s not likely he’s around at the end of the third round. There are sources that have said he’s going to run a 4.3 second 40 yard dash, and if that happens, forget about him. However, his lack of ideal height and getting dinged up at the Senior Bowl could hinder his stock. He’s a smooth man-to-man defender that would fit perfectly in Rex’s blitz-heavy packages. He doesn’t mind being on an island. But remember even if they sign Antonio Cromartie, Rex can never have enough cornerbacks.

Senior Bowl prospects that the Jets could target as mid-to-late round picks.

These are probably later guys so I’m just gonna give em the twitter treatment:

WR Austin Pettis, Boise State: Lack of top speed but poor man’s Braylon Edwards.

TE Lee Smith, Marshall: Punishing run blocker to replace Hartsock.

RB Derrick Locke. Kentucky: Shifty third down back to run screens and draws.

S Eric Hagg, Nebraska: Smart defender always in right place at the right time.

Matt Bitonti is the publisher of draftdaddy.com. He loves the N.F.L. draft and will talk about it all day long if you let him.

mxVQJA7OoKk

View the full article

2ah7djl-300x225.jpg

2011 Senior Bowl players who fit the New York Jets draft needs By Matt Bitonti – DraftDaddy.com

Last week, I was Alabama watching the Senior Bowl practices. Like a glass of iced tea, syrupy sweet and brewed by the sun, this trip was the perfect refreshment to wash away the bad taste of the AFC Championship loss. While blizzards raged back home, I ate barbecue on a porch built in 1858 and realized that the Jets will rise again, my friends! The Jets will rise again!

This Jets front office historically has leaned on the Senior Bowl for talent. Talented players such as D’Brickashaw Ferguson, David Harris, and Nick Mangold were dominant as Senior Bowlers, and last year, Rex’s favorite fullback “The Terminator” John Conner showed up mid-week as an injury replacement.

As they showed on the NFL Network broadcast, going back to the early years, “Broadway” Joe Namath was a Senior Bowl participant in 1965. While the Jets do look at juniors as well (recent picks include Mark Sanchez, Darrelle Revis and Vernon Gholston) the Senior Bowl players listed below are several that fit the Jets schemes and draft needs.

Senior Bowl prospects that are highly unlikely to be on the board for the 30 pick.

This year the Jets have a first rounder at 30 overall, a third rounder at 96 and a couple of late day three picks. They do not have a lot of ammo to trade up but as always, it’s a possibility GM Mike Tannenbaum finds a way to make a deal.

LB Von Miller, Texas A&M: Miller is smart, can pass rush like a demon, cover running backs and tight ends, and in general was most likely defender at the Senior Bowl to make an impact play. He is a player with rare athletic gifts and Miller projects as a slightly undersized outside linebacker in Rex’s defense (examples from other 3-4’s include Clay Matthews or James Harrison). But Miller also fits as a strong side 4-3 SLB and this might actually be his best position. Either way he is a likely day 1 starter in any defensive scheme, and his draft stock is soaring from top 20 before the week, to borderline top 10 status after the week.

DE Cameron Jordan, California: Jordan fits the Rex Ryan 3-4 defense very well, as exactly the type of Shaun Ellis replacement they want out of this draft. Jordan had a flat out beastly week of practice. I remember B.J. Raji having a similar week several years ago, and it was that kind of elite performance that Jordan gave. Jordan can pass rush from the inside and out, he can play many positions, and had his way with very good offensive line prospects all week long. We never know what’s going to happen on draft day but barring some disaster, it’s a safe bet that Jordan becomes a top 20 selection. I don’t see how the Jets, who usually like to deal, have that kind of ammo to get Jordan. But if there is an ideal Jets draft pick in Mobile last week, Jordan might be that guy.

Senior Bowl prospects that are unlikely to be on the board for the 30 pick.

Last year we saw thousands upon thousands of mock draft projections on the Internet, none of which had Kyle Wilson lasting to the 28th pick. In that spirit, these players could be picked around 30, despite being projected higher. In other words, these are players the Jets hope fall (but probably won’t):

LB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue: Kerrigan was outstanding in Senior Bowl practices as an edge rusher. He’s athletic and hard-working; He fits in any scheme, either as a hand-in-the-dirt weak side end in the 4-3 or a stand up outside backer in the 3-4. For these reasons and many more, Kerrigan is unlikely to be at the 30th overall pick, when the Jets pick. But he doesn’t have ideal 4-3 DE size and if enough other players get picked, he could fall through the cracks with the “tweener” label. But pending workouts, should go in the teens..

DT Christian Ballard, Iowa: Ballard was excellent in the Pit drills, where offensive and defensive linemen go one-on-one. He showed quickness and aggression against interior linemen and was also stout at point of attack in the run game. He has great hand-play and could fit several schems: Ballard projects either as a LDE in the 4-3 that plays DT on pass downs or he could be a 5-tech in Rex’s 3-4 defensive scheme. Ballard is a player I could see selected being tantalizingly close to the Jets pick, and probably is gone if the Jets win last week; as there would be a scenario where he gets all the way down the board, and then picked by either Pittsburgh and Green Bay. The Jets pick before both 3-4 needy teams so that’s one silver lining.

DT Cameron Heyward, Ohio State: To be fair, Heyward didn’t go to the Senior Bowl as he was recovering from elbow surgery but similar to Cameron Jordan, this is another ideal Jets scouting department pick. Legacy son of Iron-head, Cameron Heyward started as a freshman and dominated for 4 years at Ohio State. If he’s there at 30 it’s a slam-dunk easy pick for the Jets. But the ideal 5-tech make it to 30? Probably not but the chances are far better with him sitting out of the Senior Bowl. It should be noted that his injury was severe enough to go under the knife, but not severe enough for this tough guy to leave the Cotton Bowl game, where he gave an outstanding performance.

Senior Bowl prospects that are likely to be on the board for the 30 pick.

The draft is a funny business. If a draftnik could predict half of the draft picks in the first round every year he’d be the best draft genius up there with Mel Kiper and Rick Gosselin. It would be like hitting .500 in baseball every year. Like baseball if you predict three out of every ten picks you are pretty darn good.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I’m going to list several players for whom it is reasonable to believe they will be there at 30 overall. But just like the players above could go lower, these players could certainly higher. Projections are fun and games but most become worthless once the draft actually gets going.

LB Brooks Reed, Arizona: Reed really impressed in pass rush situations, more than many other so-called big names. He beat Derek Sherrod several times during the week, and he generally hustled his a$ off He has an array of pass rush moves, and is never on the turf. People are calling him a 3rd rounder.but mark my words, if he has a great run at the combine, i could see him sneaking up the board. At the weigh-in he recorded 6025 257 (ideal 3-4 OLB measurements) and looked to be in great shape. Assuming Ryan Kerrigan and other pass rushers above are long gone. I could see the Jets “reaching” for this player at 30, and I could also see him being an excellent pass rusher in the league for many years.

LB Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma: Beal didn’t pass rush like a first rounder in Mobile and that is what makes him less than ideal as the Jets target. The Jets I believe are looking for a pass rusher, especially if Jason Taylor retires they are very thin at that position. But as a pass rusher, Beal was often a step short. Still, Beal did exhibit many other useful traits. Beal was relentless against the run, smart diagnosing plays and has the big game resume that most teams look for in high picks. At 268 pounds, Beal also has a physical upside that is rare to find when looking for 3-4 outside linebackers. If he runs slowly, maybe he’s more of a second or third round grade but I got to believe the Jets are looking at this player very closely.

WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami: If the Jets lose two out of the three wide receiver free agents (Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards, and Santonio Holmes), they might be in the wide receiver market again. Granted they hate to draft wide receivers high, but the last time this team drafted a first round wide receiver it was another Miami player in Santana Moss, who paid pretty good dividends (at least by draft standards where more than half the players bust). If Moss is more like Holmes, Hankerson is more like Edwards, and he played on another level last week. He was a professional receiver in Mobile, while others were still just prospects. He’s productive, has huge hands, and can use his body to muscle out defenders. In the game (and on film) he shows the knack for making tough catches in clutch situations.

Senior Bowl prospects that the Jets could take with the third round pick.

S Quentin Carter, Oklahoma, S Deandre McDaniel, Clemson, and S Ahmad Black, Florida: The biggest need on the defense besides rush linebacker is probably free safety. Unfortunately it’s not a great crop and at this time there’s no safety clearly worth the 30th pick. But there’s a nice bumper crop of depth and I believe the Jets will use this pick to sure up their defensive backfield. Carter is a fluid athlete going backward and forward and a bit of a ball-hawk. McDaniel is more of a headhunter but still has the athleticism to cover ground. Black is short but plays huge, like Colts safety Bob Sanders. Black has great instincts and knows where to be on the field during any given play. Of these three names, one or more should be there at around 100 overall, and all three can help the Jets.

CB Rashad Carmichael, Virginia Tech: If the Jets decide to move Dwight Lowery permanently to free safety, they could be in the market for a cornerback instead of a safety. If this player runs as fast as he looked last week, it’s not likely he’s around at the end of the third round. There are sources that have said he’s going to run a 4.3 second 40 yard dash, and if that happens, forget about him. However, his lack of ideal height and getting dinged up at the Senior Bowl could hinder his stock. He’s a smooth man-to-man defender that would fit perfectly in Rex’s blitz-heavy packages. He doesn’t mind being on an island. But remember even if they sign Antonio Cromartie, Rex can never have enough cornerbacks.

Senior Bowl prospects that the Jets could target as mid-to-late round picks.

These are probably later guys so I’m just gonna give em the twitter treatment:

WR Austin Pettis, Boise State: Lack of top speed but poor man’s Braylon Edwards.

TE Lee Smith, Marshall: Punishing run blocker to replace Hartsock.

RB Derrick Locke. Kentucky: Shifty third down back to run screens and draws.

S Eric Hagg, Nebraska: Smart defender always in right place at the right time.

You can discuss this and tell us what NFL Draft prospects you like in the JetNation NFL Draft forum.

Matt Bitonti is the publisher of draftdaddy.com. He loves the N.F.L. draft and will talk about it all day long if you let him.

Good article and good analysis. One question for "Daddy" - what did you think about Casey Matthews? That family seems to have the ability to produce productive NFL players.

pretty good player but he lacks size... at 6'0" 230 doesn't have a role in Rex's defense. he's more of a 4-3 cover-2 Weakside backer or a special teams mascot... at least at first.

keep the questions coming I love feedback

I have had my eye on Cameron Heyward for a while as an elite talent that may fall to the bottom of the first due to inconsistent play and being a little dinged up. He has the size to play in our system and the talent to be a real good defensive end. Hopefully, Gholston has not rubbed off on the whole OSU program.

How are teams going to draft come April if there is no CBA figured out and therefore no one is doing anything with FAs and won't know what their needs are?

It's a valid question and we don't have a good answer right now. They say they can work a deal out in March but I don't know how realistic that is... given the divisions within ownership over revenue sharing and other big issues.

One way or another the draft is the last event on the league calendar, and will take place even if a lockout occurs. From a mock draft perspective it's a little easier this year cause teams really won't have free agency first... and trading vets for picks will be out of the question. if a team needs a position they will have to draft it. The Jets don't have such dire needs but the QB needy teams are going be in a bad spot. That's why I had 4 Qbs in the top 10 of my first mock, to answer NYM's question in the draft forum. Cause unless signing street free agents, there's no other obvious way to get a QB this year.

So if we sign both our wr's and cro, does everyone agree we go with a de or dt with the first pick???

The Jets will take a DT only if he is a bell cow player... who could conceivably take over the game like Ellis... Cameron Heyward, JJ Watt, Christian Ballard fit that bill. It's a very strong 3-4 DE year overall. But I don't see them reaching for a Phil Taylor or Muhammed Wilkerson just cause it's a need. They won't take the 7th best DT in the first round cause they have developmental guys like Dixon and MTV. They also have Devito and Pouha as 2 starters and the possibility of a Kris Jenkins comeback attempt... so it's not as dire a need as many believe. It is a need though and if there's a player of quality they will pounce.

BUt overall they can find a DT somewhere or develop one... and the team doesn't have a whole lot of other needs, compared to other teams. The Dallas Cowboys for example have to replace their left tackle and over half their defense. The Jets have a relatively stacked roster compared to these rebuild situations.

OLB is a whole 'nother situation. Thomas and Pace are both over 30. Taylor is the oldest player on the team and likely to retire. Unlike DT where guys like Pryce play forever... these guys don't usually play well in their 30's cause foot speed is essential. Westerman is basically a special teamer. After that they have no real developmental prospects (Cody Brown?). I think pass rushing OLB will be their 1st round target, and defensive back (free safety) will be their 3rd round target. That could swap if they really like Rahim Moore UCLA and feel like they can develop a player like Chris Carter in round 3.

Edited by bitonti

WHat does the NT crop look like. Pats picked up Love late last year.....this is where we should go late, trying to get a big man for the middle

there are some interesting names in this week's NFLPA game... Jerrell Powe Ole Miss could be a 5th round type of player. the problem with looking for nose tackles is that other teams have seriously dire needs and will overrate these guys. The Redskins for example don't have a single NT on their roster, and they are trying to run a 3-4. Ditto Buffalo. Having Pouha has the starter and other guys rotating in, really isn't that bad of a situation.

there are some interesting names in this week's NFLPA game... Jerrell Powe Ole Miss could be a 5th round type of player. the problem with looking for nose tackles is that other teams have seriously dire needs and will overrate these guys. The Redskins for example don't have a single NT on their roster, and they are trying to run a 3-4. Ditto Buffalo. Having Pouha has the starter and other guys rotating in, really isn't that bad of a situation.

He's slipped that far?

He's slipped that far?

He's got a rep as someone that's dumb as a rock. I think he's someone who could barely read coming out of HS...sounds like a good guy in the one interview I saw on Youtube.

Of course, he has a very particular and highly valued set of skills so he could go in the 3rd...but yea alot seems to point to him falling.

Edited by SenorGato

Ryan Kerrigan out of Purdue is probably my favorite choice of the players who are unlikely to be there. Obviously Von Miller, Cam Jordan and Cam Heyward would be ideal, but I just don't see them falling, but hey, crazier things have happened. Kerrigan has a nonstop motor and from what I've heard he showed great pass rush ability in practice and I know he showed it in the game. *I read that he would prefer to stay in the 43, but can't recall if that's correct or not.

ryan-kerrigan.jpg

My favorite prospect comes outta Arizona. Currently I've heard he's a 2nd to 3rd round pick, but like Bit said, if he puts up some good workouts (especially his 10 yard time like the 1.49ish that Clay ran last year) he could be ok in the first. If you watched 'Zona play at all the last few years, you saw him and Elmore wreak havoc on the Pac 10. Elmore has had more sacks in their career I believe, but it's Reed who shows more pass rush moves and his physicality is just as impressive (6'2.5" 257 lbs). I'm pretty positive that if a high ankle sprain didn't kill his season last year, he'd probably be talked more about as a 2nd to late first round prospect.

BrooksReed.jpg

He's got a rep as someone that's dumb as a rock. I think he's someone who could barely read coming out of HS...sounds like a good guy in the one interview I saw on Youtube.

Of course, he has a very particular and highly valued set of skills so he could go in the 3rd...but yea alot seems to point to him falling.

Thanks Liam Neeson, you find your daughter yet?? ;)

it should also be noted that Powe weighed in at NFLPA game about 15 pounds heavier than his listed weight... probably not good... http://www.the3-4.com/

it should also be noted that Powe weighed in at NFLPA game about 15 pounds heavier than his listed weight... probably not good... http://www.the3-4.com/

He's also an inch or two taller...6'2 330 is right around Raji weight...Wilfork too...

How f'ing impressive is Kenrick Ellis at 6'5 336? I'm telling you guys this guy will surprise...

Edited by SenorGato

He's also an inch or two taller...6'2 330 is right around Raji weight...Wilfork too...

How f'ing impressive is Kenrick Ellis at 6'5 336? I'm telling you guys this guy will surprise...

He could be the most physically impressive DT in the draft, but lack of tools was never his problem. The knocks on him, as I'm sure you've heard, have always been his poor conditioning, which led to taking plays off (show me a DT that doesn't. Even Mario Williams had that knock on him) and having fairly inconsistent play at that level. Also, his off-the-field issues ie. failed drug tests at south carolina?? and than the couple bar fights.

I'm totally with you though, this guy is an absolute monster and would be amazing in this system if he could be contained.

He could be the most physically impressive DT in the draft, but lack of tools was never his problem. The knocks on him, as I'm sure you've heard, have always been his poor conditioning, which led to taking plays off (show me a DT that doesn't. Even Mario Williams had that knock on him) and having fairly inconsistent play at that level. Also, his off-the-field issues ie. failed drug tests at south carolina?? and than the couple bar fights.

I'm totally with you though, this guy is an absolute monster and would be amazing in this system if he could be contained.

He's a better and more productive player than the currently overhyped Phil Taylor. Stronger and meaner too...

As a side note I am leery of any ohio St. player!

this is fair after the Gholston pick but remember Nick mangold, Santonio Holmes and Ben hartsock are the other three buckeyes on the roster. Overall, not too bad.

Every prospect is different and Cameron Heyward is about as safe as they get. His daddy was a dominant NFL fullback. Heyward started as a true freshman on a very good defense... he's an excellent player the Jets would be lucky to be in a position to select.

So is it safe to start calling Gholston a bust, then? Or is it still too early to tell?

This thread is heading in a good direction with a lot of good draft talk, this gholston nonsense will just ruin it. Smartassness aside, I wholeheartedly agree he's the biggest bust in jets' history, and I was a big proponent of his prior to getting pace. It still baffles me with his measurables; 10 yard dash, shuttle and cone drill how he isn't dominant...if he had the mentality of a drew coleman or clay matthews, he'd easily be an all-pro.

Bit, I know it's out of the box thinking, but what if Mark Ingram falls to 30? IMO, adding a workhorse back cures a lot of ills for this offense. Greene gets nicked too much and LT is toast. Maybe Tannenbaum decides he's too good a value to pass up?

it's unlikely because both the Dolphins at 15 and the Giants at 19 have dire tailback needs... i mean really bad... Ingram's dad actually played for the Giants... but to answer your question if Ingram does fall to 30 he's probably too good to pass up value-wise. he'd be a luxury pick for the Jets but it's possible. I think they are really targeting OLB tho, especially if they give Bryan Thomas the heave-ho.

it's unlikely because both the Dolphins at 15 and the Giants at 19 have dire tailback needs... i mean really bad... Ingram's dad actually played for the Giants... but to answer your question if Ingram does fall to 30 he's probably too good to pass up value-wise. he'd be a luxury pick for the Jets but it's possible. I think they are really targeting OLB tho, especially if they give Bryan Thomas the heave-ho.

I know it would be extremely out of the ordinary, but the pats could use that type of back. The lawfirm has been more than adequate, but if I'm a pats' fan, I'm hoping that our team focuses more on our running game and defense and gets back to the early 2000s when they could use their defense and running game to milk a few point lead. I'd honestly be a little more afraid if the pats had a back like ingram.