Jets Fire 31 Employees!!

rowonejetfan

Jets fire 30 in sales force

BY Manish Mehta

The Jets eliminated approximately 30 jobs in the sales department last week, team spokesman Bruce Speight confirmed. The organization beefed up its personal seat license sales efforts last year for the opening of the New Meadowlands Stadium with temporary sales positions. The possibility of a lockout this offseason could conceivably make it more difficult to sell additional PSLs for the 2011 season.

The Jets reduced the price of 9,000 personal seat licenses last summer by up to 50% to avoid a blackout of the season opener against the Baltimore Ravens.

The Jets didn’t disclose how many unsold PSLs remain. The team’s current focus is selling club seats.

However, lets add one more, Sal Alosi was forced to resign (aka fired) also this week bringing the grand number to 31

Jets Assistant Coach Alosi Resigns After Tripping Miami Player During Game Plus

Wonder how many of us who bought PSLs no longer have a PSL rep? The guy/girl who made commission off you is only one who might do you a solid. My guy back in the day gave me a field pass, he is long since canned. I guess ticket office will handle UD sales like in the past pre-PSL but that is like motor vehicles on a bad day. Low pay and no commission.

Giants reps were worse. Guy who was calling me admitted he did not work for Giants, did not get commission and actually was never at stadium this even after the season was a few months old, just called me like clockwork every three months, never hard selling, almost like a telemarketing list I was just on his list that day. He last called me a few weeks ago and admitted his days are numbered.

Really gotta feel for some of these guys. Probably thought they had it made with a new stadium in the NY market and the waiting list, then the pricing, recession, and marketing disaster converge on each other and bingo bango you're out of a job through no fault of your own.

Not really. I interviewed for the PSL rep job and didn't get it. They had us all in one big room to give us their pitch for the job and basically told us that we would be selling ourselves out of a job eventually. When all the PSL's were sold, it was possible they would keep some of the better earners, but for the most part, they said once the PSL's were sold, we were done. Then they brought us in for group interviews with a senior rep and that was pretty much it. Then they reached out to the individual reps with the offers.

Basically, every PSL rep knew what they were getting into,

Not really. I interviewed for the PSL rep job and didn't get it. They had us all in one big room to give us their pitch for the job and basically told us that we would be selling ourselves out of a job eventually. When all the PSL's were sold, it was possible they would keep some of the better earners, but for the most part, they said once the PSL's were sold, we were done. Then they brought us in for group interviews with a senior rep and that was pretty much it. Then they reached out to the individual reps with the offers.

It does make sense, I am actually surprised some of these reps weren't let go earlier.

Temporary hiring to meet short-term increases (or percieved increases) in demand are common, and have been for ages. It's not new or unique at all, in fact a decade ago I got one of my first "real" jobs due to a merger of companies that resulted in a hiring boom for the perceived need of the new post-merger company to meet the demands of the now joined customer base. Sometimes they are permanenet (if you do a good job of course), many times they are temporary/short-term. But almost always the hires know going in what the story is.

I feel for those who now find themselves unemployed, this economy sucks right now, and it's a tough road (I have a good frined who is also unemployed, and my own younger bro was unemployed for months before he found work). I wish them the best, but it's hard to fault the Jets Org. for reducing unneeded staff. They are running a business after all, not a charity.

How do you explain the Vernon Gholston deal if this is the case?

Forgive my ignorance, but "deal"? :blink:

Did they resign the Ghost for 2011 and I missed the news?

If so, I can only assume they still think he has potential (lord knows why at this point) or are too stubborn to admit their mistake. That, or if he took alot less money, they simply accept he's a JAG who fills a depth hole on the roster at best.

If you're talking his original deal, well......even the best make mistakes from tiem to time. Clearly Ghost was a mistake, although in fairness, he is a mistake just about every GM in the NFL probably would have made at that pick for that years draft class. As bad as Ghost was, he was almost unanimous as the best available pick in that slot that year, by my memory.

There are some seats left to be sold, but with Jets not in super bowl, a possible 2011 strike and Jets currently still asking for 10% down, next payment due Nov 2011 and no specials you have to be nuts to plunk down cash on a PSL until you know there will be a season. Therefore, how can you sell them. Plus Jets have not said what ticket prices will be next year nor if we have to make PSL payment in Nov 2011 if there is no season. Plus the best season is the first season of a new stadium, look at ticket sales fall off in yankee stadium and citi field in year two of stadium.

Interesting they called me this week as I asked them to tell me if any seats opened up in a low row awhile ago. They offered me this week section 143 row 10 seats 18 and 19. Not bad seats, but and a bit but, they want to hit your card today for $1,500 (10%) down and put you on the hook for a Nov 2011 payment. March 1st once secondary opens up I guess Jets can just sneak PSL sales in online on something and act like a private seller. However, since labor dispute won't be solved by March 1st no point in keep people to sell the last few thousand seats that will be impossible to sell without a discount or a guranteed 2011 season

Archived