What is your Favorite Album of All-Time?

Warfish

Given how much I love music, and how passionate I am about a number of bands with long resumes, the "best album" question is something of a tough one.

As a Pink Floyd devotee, it'd perhaps be expected I'd go the predictable "Dark Side...", but no. It's a great album, but not my personal favorite.

For me, I'd have to go with "Wish You Were Here" by the Floyd. More atmospheric, mellow, deep and thoughtful (IMO). Also an amazing disk to both relax to, and well....do other things to.

Outside of a greatest hits package (and the Floyd double-disk GH set is a good representation), WYWH would have to be my choice. I never grow tired of it.

And with that, I notice, I now have 1000 posts here. Only 24,000 more and I'll be back to my old JI numbers (just kidding :D ).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too funny, I was thinking about darkside as I opened this thread. there are a few albums I wore out growing up

def leppard pyromania

GNR appetite

as I grew older, it was jimi hendrix electric ladyland and led zep III, and all the floyd albums

but if you made me go with one album for the rest of my life....

186.jpg

Subject to change at any given time, but the Beatles' Yellow Submarine Songtrack would be a major contender. The few new tunes the Beatles offered to the project are some of their best - Hey Bulldog, and George's genius at work in Only a Northern Song, and the amazing It's All Too Much. The rest of the album works as a psychedelic greatest hits up to that point in time.

Others would be the White Album for it's shear depth and volume of material; and Abbey Road, because it's probably the Beatles' best work, and a living demonstration that they were continuing to get better as they moved forward, rather than getting stale like so many other acts.

Yeah, it would be a Beatles record.

Rust in Peace >> all.

Discuss.

Really?

It's not even the best Megadeth album :P

So Far, So Good, So What?? >> Rust in Peace

I always lol at how much disdain there is for So Far..., because it's such a good classic metal album, and yet so much of the cheesey Countdown to Extinction style pop-metal that came after gets all the love.

But I have to admit up front, I've alwasy been a Metallica > Megadeth guy, and generally (in my experiences) a guy likes either one or the other alot, very rarely both equally.

In sticking to studio albums (and thus, not considering any "Greatest Hits"), I'd go with Physical Graffiti.

Aside from the fantastic track listing, the fact that it's a double-album helped catapult it to the top.

Nice. Quality and quantity. In college we used to debate best Zeppelin album for hours at a time and I think we usually came up with Physical Graffiti, but our minds were usually pretty altered by the time reached a conclusion.

I tend to bounce from song to song and mixed CDs now, but I have two in vinyl that I leave on the turntable for years at a time and listen to occaisionally:

The Kinks - Low Budget

The Police - Outlandos d'Amour

Really?

It's not even the best Megadeth album :P

So Far, So Good, So What?? >> Rust in Peace

I always lol at how much disdain there is for So Far..., because it's such a good classic metal album, and yet so much of the cheesey Countdown to Extinction style pop-metal that came after gets all the love.

But I have to admit up front, I've alwasy been a Metallica > Megadeth guy, and generally (in my experiences) a guy likes either one or the other alot, very rarely both equally.

SFSGSW is a really, really good album. I love how raw it sounds--hell the cover of the album gives off that "raw" vibe. I think I could listen to those solos in into the lungs of hell for days on end. Set the world afire, 502, in my darkest hour, and Hook in Mouth are also awesome.

You just can't beat Mustaine and Friedman going off on Rust and Peace, in my opinion. I would rate Megadeth's top three albums as Rust in Peace > Peace Sells > SFSGSW.

I'm a Megadeth guy definitely, I feel their songs have more variation--I can only listen to two or three Metallica songs in a row without getting bored. Megadeth went downhill bigtime with Countdown, but they've shown promise these past few years. United Abominations had a few good songs, same with Endgame, and now Ellefson is back. Should be good...

too funny, I was thinking about darkside as I opened this thread. there are a few albums I wore out growing up

def leppard pyromania

GNR appetite

as I grew older, it was jimi hendrix electric ladyland and led zep III, and all the floyd albums

186.jpg

Holy crap. That would be my choice as well. "Punk meets the godfather" for the win.

def leppard pyromania

GNR appetite

186.jpg

Agree 100%.

Tremendous piece of work.

I like Exile, Sticky Fingers and Goats Head Soup in no particular order but gun to head Exile On Main Street would win out.

I don't think there's ever been an album ever made before or after that rolled literally every single genre of music ever created into one giant ball of awesome.

The%20Allman.jpg

Nice, a fellow Allman Brothers fan! I went with an evening with more because of the total content vs overall quality. Fllmore East was an A+, but only 7 songs. An Evening with was an A-, but far more content. I mean, we're gonna spend the rest of our life with one album I gotta have a little variety at the expense of quality.

Elaborate?

You come off as a very intelligent fella who is aloof and likes to abuse people with your intelligence. After listening to a clip from that album I got the over whelming urge to be belligerent to children. Plus the picture of the sickly kidney and ureter on the cover made me dislike mankind just a little bit more.

Likely referring to your frequent feminist rants.

I think it's been a couple years since my last one, but since it's come up, can you really blame me? This thread is dominated by woman-beaters and smackheads yet it's lack of a Y chromosome that requires explanation and qualification. It's bullsh*t.

You come off as a very intelligent fella who is aloof and likes to abuse people with your intelligence. After listening to a clip from that album I got the over whelming urge to be belligerent to children. Plus the picture of the sickly kidney and ureter on the cover made me dislike mankind just a little bit more.

I think that's a treble clef. No idea where you get abusive or belligerent either.

Archived