This is a Rebuilding Offseason

Barton

a;; we need is sanchez to get better.. and we're SB bound

Won us 4 games in the 4th quarter and OT, plays great in the playoffs for 2 years in a row, and your still looking for him to get better ? Tell me is it flashy stats your looking for, or a clutch QB who plays lights out when it counts ? I'll take the clutch every day of the week. Its like the Derek Jeter situation sure he does not put up the monster stats of some of the MVP candidates every year but with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth with a guy on thrid in game 7 there is no player in baseball I would rather have at the plate. Sanchez will get us wins and he is the LEAST of our problems. We have some holes to Fill to become a consistent football team. What really has me worried is sh*tt comming back. If he does come back we will be in the same crap shoot come playoff time as we were this year, this guy simply can not coach vs the better defensive minds in the NFL on a consistent basis.

Won us 4 games in the 4th quarter and OT, plays great in the playoffs for 2 years in a row, and your still looking for him to get better ? Tell me is it flashy stats your looking for, or a clutch QB who plays lights out when it counts ? I'll take the clutch every day of the week. Its like the Derek Jeter situation sure he does not put up the monster stats of some of the MVP candidates every year but with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth with a guy on thrid in game 7 there is no player in baseball I would rather have at the plate. Sanchez will get us wins and he is the LEAST of our problems. We have some holes to Fill to become a consistent football team. What really has me worried is sh*tt comming back. If he does come back we will be in the same crap shoot come playoff time as we were this year, this guy simply can not coach vs the better defensive minds in the NFL on a consistent basis.

We probably should've lost the Colts game due to sanchez's ineptitide, and the game against pittsburgh wouldn't have been 24-3 if he had played better in the first. One thing you have to remember is that most of those 4th quarter comebacks were needed due to 3 quarters of terrible football. Lastly, better regular season play could've had us with a bye. There's a ton of room for improvement.

Mark Sanchez is by far the BIGGEST of our problems and it's not even close. Comparisions to Derek Jeter are laughable.

We probably should've lost the Colts game due to sanchez's ineptitide, and the game against pittsburgh wouldn't have been 24-3 if he had played better in the first. One thing you have to remember is that most of those 4th quarter comebacks were needed due to 3 quarters of terrible football. Lastly, better regular season play could've had us with a bye. There's a ton of room for improvement.

seems schotty plays best with his feet to the fire. wish he would call the the first 3 like he usually calls the last quarter.

This is some pre-2002 baseball analysis right here...It is absolutely vital that Mark Sanchez improves moving forward. If you're telling me you're satisfied with his performance through his first two seasons then you're either lying or disillusioned. His comebacks against the Browns, Broncos, and Texans were nice...That doesn't mean he doesn't have a significant amount of room to grow.

The Jets didn't take this guy 5th overall to have him be a finished product by year 2...at least not with the numbers and performances he's given us.

The team needs to improve around him yes, but best way for this team to move forward is for the QB to become a legit franchise QB.

This is some pre-2002 baseball analysis right here...It is absolutely vital that Mark Sanchez improves moving forward. If you're telling me you're satisfied with his performance through his first two seasons then you're either lying or disillusioned. His comebacks against the Browns, Broncos, and Texans were nice...That doesn't mean he doesn't have a significant amount of room to grow.

The Jets didn't take this guy 5th overall to have him be a finished product by year 2...at least not with the numbers and performances he's given us.

The team needs to improve around him yes, but best way for this team to move forward is for the QB to become a legit franchise QB.

For a 2 year QB who played 16 games in College Im very Impressed. When its crunch time he plays well and that looks very good for the future of this team. Anyone who can't see that is not paying much attention. I still blame a lot of his Problems on the Offensive Coordinator. Why do I say this ? because its Obvious Sanchez does very well in the hurry up which tells me if our offense was simplified he would excell. I dont mean simplified because he cant learn it I mean simplified so that we just impose our will on other teams rather than trying to foolt the world. If you watch Peyton Manning and Tom Brady they run very simplified offenses and when therre at the top of their game they dare you to try and stop them. We need to do this with Sanchez and he will be a much better QB during the year for it. When you see a QB consistently playing bad for 3 quarters then all of a sudden become lights out in the 4th quarter you have to look at what you were calling in the first 3 quarters and wonder if thats just not the way to go. Of Course it took Idiot sh*tty an entire year to figure this sh*tt out. Your QB is inconsistent because he is CONSISTENTLY put in a lot of bad situations of constant 3rd and longs. The remedy is getting the Idiot that runs the offense the f*ck out of here and then you will see the consistency we need from Sanchez Im 100 % positive of that.

Dominator I was NOT directly comparing him to Derek Jeter I was comparing the clutch play of a young player which both have and did display early in their careers. If anyone denies that Sanchez has played clutch on many occasions in his first 2 years in HUGE games then they will never be a fan nor do they see the talent staring thm right in the face. The calmness he displays in tough situations is very "un rookie like" and to me thats the most important part of his development. But I guess you have to see "stats" before you dub him a damn good QB, without him the last 2 years we dont go to either championship game.

For a 2 year QB who played 16 games in College Im very Impressed. When its crunch time he plays well and that looks very good for the future of this team. Anyone who can't see that is not paying much attention. I still blame a lot of his Problems on the Offensive Coordinator. Why do I say this ? because its Obvious Sanchez does very well in the hurry up which tells me if our offense was simplified he would excell. I dont mean simplified because he cant learn it I mean simplified so that we just impose our will on other teams rather than trying to foolt the world. If you watch Peyton Manning and Tom Brady they run very simplified offenses and when therre at the top of their game they dare you to try and stop them. We need to do this with Sanchez and he will be a much better QB during the year for it. When you see a QB consistently playing bad for 3 quarters then all of a sudden become lights out in the 4th quarter you have to look at what you were calling in the first 3 quarters and wonder if thats just not the way to go. Of Course it took Idiot sh*tty an entire year to figure this sh*tt out. Your QB is inconsistent because he is CONSISTENTLY put in a lot of bad situations of constant 3rd and longs. The remedy is getting the Idiot that runs the offense the f*ck out of here and then you will see the consistency we need from Sanchez Im 100 % positive of that.

Dominator I was NOT directly comparing him to Derek Jeter I was comparing the clutch play of a young player which both have and did display early in their careers. If anyone denies that Sanchez has played clutch on many occasions in his first 2 years in HUGE games then they will never be a fan nor do they see the talent staring thm right in the face. The calmness he displays in tough situations is very "un rookie like" and to me thats the most important part of his development. But I guess you have to see "stats" before you dub him a damn good QB, without him the last 2 years we dont go to either championship game.

You want to **** up Sanchez? Change offensive coordinators.

He did not look so hot in the hurry up to start the game against the Pats. His 4th quarter stats are nothing to write home about. Within 7 in the 4th his stats are worse than any other quarter. He has good OT stats, but it's a real small sample size. Situational Stats

I like Sanchez and his development has been fine. I'm happy with his improvement, but he is still limited and by far the #1 problem on the team. If he gets better they will be great. If he stays the same they are probably about at their ceiling. Clutch is nice, but while I see talent, I also see wild inconsistency. If you are unable to see that you are blinded by your fandom or just blind. The 1st halves against the Colts and Steelers were times to be clutch and he came up about as small as possible. He is getting better, but he's not very good yet.

He did not look so hot in the hurry up to start the game against the Pats. His 4th quarter stats are nothing to write home about. Within 7 in the 4th his stats are worse than any other quarter. He has good OT stats, but it's a real small sample size. Situational Stats

I like Sanchez and his development has been fine. I'm happy with his improvement, but he is still limited and by far the #1 problem on the team. If he gets better they will be great. If he stays the same they are probably about at their ceiling. Clutch is nice, but while I see talent, I also see wild inconsistency. If you are unable to see that you are blinded by your fandom or just blind. The 1st halves against the Colts and Steelers were times to be clutch and he came up about as small as possible. He is getting better, but he's not very good yet.

Dominator all Im saying is I see major differences in Sanchez play when Im also seeing major differences in the play calling. When a QB is wildly inaccurate (of course I notice this) the all of a sudden goes 9-11 down the stretch it tells you something. When a QB throws a ball expecting an in route and a WR runs an out sure the ball looks like its thrown 5 Feet off the mark. Is it Sanchez ? Is it the WR's ? or is it the overly complicated offense the Jets run ? Its why we always hear The jets need to simplfy the offense for Sanchez. Running complicated offenses is a thing of the past and sh*tty cant get that through his dumb a$$ head. When he finally did Sanchez played very well down the stretch and played awesome in the playoffs. And for what its worth going Hurry up vs the Pats in their home stadium was dumber than dumb to start the game. They should have got Sanchez in a rhythm with short passes then mixed in the hurry up later in the first half to catch NE in the Defense they wanted and that gave them the biggest advantage, just like Manning does. The biggest problem I have seen with the Jets play calling for the past 5 years with sh*tty is the guy has NO IDEA how to create mismatches AT ALL. NONE ZERO. It makes every throw a difficult one when the defense knows whats comming and a smart QB throws the ball where the defender cant get it and I think thats what Sanchez is doing. Only time will tell but I see way to many great qualities from the kid and i see way to many stupid ones from our OC.

If we change OC's and send sh*tt packing our offense does nto change much with Callahan running the show so Sanchez wont suffer at all from a new OC since it was obvious he was confiding in Callahan on the sidelines a lot at the end of the season. Mixing up play calls and catching teams in bad defensive packages is on the OC and I think this is where sh*tt fails the most. Having that problem can hurt a young QB's development and I know you have to see that problem the first and goal at the 3 yard line calls vs the Steelers were exactly what I expected to happen at some point in the playoffs and I said it would happen ALL YER LONG. It took longer than I thought to actully happen and it could not have come at a worse time and its exactly why this Idiot will not get a head coaching job in the NFL and will probably be our OC again next year... god help us.

I gotta agree with ya Dominator. Sanchez is still pretty inconsistent but has developed a knack for making some clutch plays. I think for his sake we should try and keep B Edwards. Considering how much better he was this year especially with drops he is a great weapon for Sanchez. Edwards is deadly fast, incredibly tall and had some sure a$$ hands this year. He can dominate the field and make every catch that Sanchez throws no matter how high or low the pass is. If Edwards can continue he improvement, he could be one of the best Wr's in the league. Holmes is great but not nearly as physically gifted as Edwards, but Holmes is so clutch. It's gonna tough seeing one of them go.

and by far the #1 problem on the team.

By far the #1 problem on this team is the front 7 and their inability to generate any type of pass rush short of having to devise exotic blitzes. And many times they don't even get to teh qb with those.

To have a Darelle Revis and Cromartie in the secondary and to have the inability to get off the field as a defense, is a problem.

In the biggest game of the year, it was the DEFENSE that put the Jets in a hole, and wore down.

This team was not built around having a qb that would need to throw 40 times a game and get 300 yards. It is just not what their system is predicated upon

By far the #1 problem on this team is the front 7 and their inability to generate any type of pass rush short of having to devise exotic blitzes. And many times they don't even get to teh qb with those.

To have a Darelle Revis and Cromartie in the secondary and to have the inability to get off the field as a defense, is a problem.

In the biggest game of the year, it was the DEFENSE that put the Jets in a hole, and wore down.

This team was not built around having a qb that would need to throw 40 times a game and get 300 yards. It is just not what their system is predicated upon

Some help in the front 7 is a must. A large body in the middle and some REAL speed on the outside will get that front 7 playing well. When Thomas and Pace totally dissapeared at points during the season Im not sure why we didnt see more of Westerman and Muagua (sp?) from what little I have seen of those guys they do have good motors something Pace and Thomas lack. Too many times we see backups step in and play great football for teams Im not sure why we have to see the same 2 clowns on the outside that consistently can't generate a pass rush and they are not good vs the run either since Harris and Scott are the ones making the plays in the run defense. I think one player on each tier of the defense can make a big improvement next year. Im not sure what left on Thomas or Paces contracts but I do feel they need to be replaced.

Agreed Pittsburgh shredded our front 7 for 10 minutes in the 1st quarter,nobody stepped up and made a big play when needed the most.

Oh bullsh*t.

What the **** does throwing 40 times have to do with it? The defense was 6th in points allowed and 3rd in yards allowed. The offense was 13th and 11th. Obviously the defense is the problem!!

The defense put them in a hole? Maybe you should check again. First drive they gave up a TD. 0-7. Offense responds with a reasonable drive and punt. Defense gets a pick. O responds with a 3 and out. Pitt FG. 0-10. 3 and out. Pitt TD. 0-17. Sanchez fumbles for a TD. 0-24 Jets get FG. 3-24. Yep. The D really put them in a hole. The offense had 1 first down and had given up 7 points before they put the FG drive together to end the half, but it's all on the D? They wore down? Maybe. Can you blame them? TOP 34:41-25.19. First half TOP was around 2:1 and the first quarter was 10:49-4:11. Could the defense have stopped them sooner? Sure, but I think the O should do better than 8:54 on five first half posessions. The D gave up a first down with the game on the line? Fair enough. The offense didn't score until it was over and if they hadn't given up that TD it would have been a fairly manageable 17-3 getting the ball at the half. The D gave up 17 points. Rebuild!

You know what's better than playing well in crunch time (and even that's subjectively speaking)....Playing better ALL the time...as he was drafted and paid to do.

Year 3 is where we see what this guy is made of.

I really can't decide whether to hate on Sanchez or hate on Shotty. Those 4 calls by the goal line were unbelievable. But I think Sanchez hurts Shotty just as much at times. In the end, they will probably both be OK. We had a top 15 offense last year at least we are headed in the right direction.

Oh bullsh*t.

What the **** does throwing 40 times have to do with it? The defense was 6th in points allowed and 3rd in yards allowed. The offense was 13th and 11th. Obviously the defense is the problem!!

The defense put them in a hole? Maybe you should check again. First drive they gave up a TD. 0-7. Offense responds with a reasonable drive and punt. Defense gets a pick. O responds with a 3 and out. Pitt FG. 0-10. 3 and out. Pitt TD. 0-17. Sanchez fumbles for a TD. 0-24 Jets get FG. 3-24. Yep. The D really put them in a hole. The offense had 1 first down and had given up 7 points before they put the FG drive together to end the half, but it's all on the D? They wore down? Maybe. Can you blame them? TOP 34:41-25.19. First half TOP was around 2:1 and the first quarter was 10:49-4:11. Could the defense have stopped them sooner? Sure, but I think the O should do better than 8:54 on five first half posessions. The D gave up a first down with the game on the line? Fair enough. The offense didn't score until it was over and if they hadn't given up that TD it would have been a fairly manageable 17-3 getting the ball at the half. The D gave up 17 points. Rebuild!

Again, in the biggest game of the year, the defense could not get off the field in the first half. The Steelers were 55% on 3rd downs in the game. The Steelers rushed for 166 yards.

This game was won before the Jets even knew what hit them. And that was caused by an ineffective, poor tackling defense in the first half. All the stats in the world do not change that. Rex Ryan admitted as much

Again, in the biggest game of the year, the defense could not get off the field in the first half. The Steelers were 55% on 3rd downs in the game. The Steelers rushed for 166 yards.

This game was won before the Jets even knew what hit them. And that was caused by an ineffective, poor tackling defense in the first half. All the stats in the world do not change that. Rex Ryan admitted as much

It takes two to tango. Ryan admitted it because, right or wrong, he takes responsibility for the defense, not the offense. The defense gave up 17 points and scored 2. The offense put them gave them zero rest. The Jets lost before they knew what hit them because they didn't score any points. You can look at it in a vacuum and say they should have stopped the Steelers and they should have, but if the offense could have put up a 10 spot and NOT given up 7 the Jets would have been in fine shape in the 2nd half. Think about it, 17-10? Big deal. Hell 17-7 or 17-3 would have been fine. 3 points in 5 posessions = not all on the defense.

Even conceding that the D was the major problem in that game, that doesn't mean it was the major problem all season. Games the Jets lost they scored: 9, 0, 3, 6, 34 and 19. Games they lost they gave up: 10, 9, 45, 10, 38 and 24. Taking points the defenses scored out, the Steelers game was actually 17-17. Obviously the Steelers took their foot off the pedal, but still... In the Bears game the D scored 7, so the O actually put up 27. The offense totally sh*t the bed in four of the five losses during the season. The kind of games where you say: "okay, that happens once a year, shake it off."

It takes two to tango. Ryan admitted it because, right or wrong, he takes responsibility for the defense, not the offense. The defense gave up 17 points and scored 2. The offense put them gave them zero rest. The Jets lost before they knew what hit them because they didn't score any points. You can look at it in a vacuum and say they should have stopped the Steelers and they should have, but if the offense could have put up a 10 spot and NOT given up 7 the Jets would have been in fine shape in the 2nd half. Think about it, 17-10? Big deal. Hell 17-7 or 17-3 would have been fine. 3 points in 5 posessions = not all on the defense.

Even conceding that the D was the major problem in that game, that doesn't mean it was the major problem all season. Games the Jets lost they scored: 9, 0, 3, 6, 34 and 19. Games they lost they gave up: 10, 9, 45, 10, 38 and 24. Taking points the defenses scored out, the Steelers game was actually 17-17. Obviously the Steelers took their foot off the pedal, but still... In the Bears game the D scored 7, so the O actually put up 27. The offense totally sh*t the bed in four of the five losses during the season. The kind of games where you say: "okay, that happens once a year, shake it off."

At the end of the season, you look at what knocked you out in the big game, and in the big game it was a lack of defensive intensity an an ability to tackle and get off the field.

I was not a quick strike dagger that the Steelers gave the Jets, it was a slow bleeding, take your soul away type of drive.

Did the Jets offense help the situation? No, of course not.

You can not play the game of "If you take this away, then maybe this doesn't happen". Games don't work like that. All we know is what happened. And that is the defense choked up a big bullet when it mattered most.

Honestly, I think this defense was merely mediocre this season. Damn the stats, because stats can lie. What was supposed to be an elite secondary did not have a ball hawking ability. The Jets did not provide consisetnt pressure, and tams would continually bled them to death in the middle of the field with TE's and back dump offs. It was no mystery how to move the ball against the Jet defense. The only part that impressed me was their short yardage run defense.

If you believe this is a championship defense s it is presently constituted, I will tell you that you are wishing

At the end of the season, you look at what knocked you out in the big game, and in the big game it was a lack of defensive intensity an an ability to tackle and get off the field.

I was not a quick strike dagger that the Steelers gave the Jets, it was a slow bleeding, take your soul away type of drive.

You can not play the game of "If you take this away, then maybe this doesn't happen". Games don't work like that. All we know is what happened. And that is the defense choked up a big bullet when it mattered most.

Honestly, I think this defense was merely mediocre this season. Damn the stats, because stats can lie. What was supposed to be an elite secondary did not have a ball hawking ability. The Jets did not provide consisetnt pressure, and tams would continually bled them to death in the middle of the field with TE's and back dump offs. It was no mystery how to move the ball against the Jet defense. The only part that impressed me was their short yardage run defense.

If you believe this is a championship defense s it is presently constituted, I will tell you that you are wishing

Agree to disagree. If the Jets weren't 11-5 they might have had home field. 3 of those losses are entirely attributable to the offense and only the offense. One to the D (Chicago) and one to both.

Bitching about the Steelers game and "lack of intensity" is completely different than what the actual defensive problems are and you are right about the problem. Being bled by TE and RB dumpoffs is not a huge deal and can be remedied without completely revamping the front 7. The front 7 is fine despite missing 2 of the top 5 players on the DLine for the entire year.

If by mediocre you meant top of the league but not elite, I'll give you that, but mediocre is a HUGE exaggeration. The offense choked up when it mattered most too and four times during the season they didn't even hit 10 points. They didn't show up for the first half against the Colts either and the first quarter against the Pats.

Saying any part of the D is the biggest problem is a joke. Maybe the biggest problem that can be fixed because we just have to wait and work with Sanchez.

You feel the D was at fault against Pittsburgh because they didn't show up and you expected better. The offense didn't show up either, but you expected that. You know that's true, so which one needs more improvement?

I don't know that you point to one game like that. Using that logic NE should be looking to dump Brady and should have really done so after the SB loss. Also would mean the Jets should have cut ties with Martin before the 1999 offseason was really underway.

They tackled poorly in the first half. So either it's because they were flat to start that game or they really can't tackle well.

I ask myself this: what is preventing this team from being top-5 on offense (which you know helps a defense tremendously)? Is it the OL? The ground game? The receivers? The QB? The coaching? I don't give BS as much rope as Dom gives him, but when balls are consistently thrown behind receivers or receivers run wrong patterns (infuriating as each incidence is, I really don't think our dropped-passes problem is any worse than any other team's) or wide open receivers are simply not seen until the window's closed - and we punt (particularly 3 & out where the D has to go right out there so fast, or we end up with 3 instead of 7 - it ain't on the defensive front 7.

I do think we could stand to see some improvement there. Guys like Thomas, Taylor, Ellis, Scott, and Jenkins are not at the point in their careers where they're still getting better and most or all are getting worse. The rosiest scenario is one where none are worse than 2010 and Jenkins is healthy. I'd take that in a heartbeat but to expect it is to foolishly stick one's head in the sand.

Sanchez needs to take the next step up from sucking most of the way through most games. The entire offense, as well as the defense (and even the coaching) will benefit greatly from that.

Archived