Pettitte to Announce Retirement

CrazyCarl40

Your argument is moronic and based on specious logic. You ever consider that if Pettitte isn't on the Yankees during that period that maybe they don't win quite so many games and go to the postseason quite so many times. Pettitte was a big reason those Yankees teams were that good you dolt. To claim he wasn't is to admit you don't have a clue what you are talking about and didn't watch the Yankees very much the last 16 years.

Winningest means he has the most wins. Learn English.

Gotta love your selective reading.

I said he was good. Maybe even very good at times, but he benefited more from being a Yankee than the Yankees did from him pitching.

Stick in a guy like kevin Brown and the Yanks win the same 4 titles during his first stint. He is good. That is it.

You would have to put Tommy John, Jack Morris and Jim Kaat among others in first.

Pettitte is David wells, who just happened to pitch on better teams longer.

Gonna break this up into sections:

1. Good one with the Wells trap. I am not taking that bait though, lol.

2. I would be okay with Morris getting into the HOF actually. He was dominant in the mid 80's.

I would have to look Kaat and Tommy John up. But, and I know it is the chicken egg thing, nobody has the postseason numbers that Andy has. That can't be discounted.

But like I said, he did HGH and that should keep him out. I have been consistent that everyone proven to have used performance enhancing drugs should be kept out.

Last, what are Andy's great moments? I am sure a Yankee fan can think of a few maybe even some in the playoffs. However, Curt clearly has more and they transcended across fan base barriers.

Your post has the fact that Andy has 19 wins. Then you say where are the great moments?

LOL -- I realize they came in the post season, long after Red Sox Nation stopped broadcasting, haha.

All your points boil down to one thing, because he was a Yankee.

"He was 102 games over .500" because he was a Yankee.

He never pitched on a team below .500. The worst team he played for was an 82-80 Astros team.

Schilling on the other did not have that benefit. 2 of his 3 teams in Baltimore were sub-.500 including a 107 loss team. A 97 loss Astros team. 8 of the 9 teams in Philly were sub-.500. It was not until he went to Arizona did he ride the success of a good team. He was 23 games over .500 in Philly when the team collectively 100 game sunder .500.

Petite average 15 win versus Schilling's 10. :rl: That is your argument. :rl: Forgetting the fact above, you do realize Schilling spent part of his career as a reliever? A couple of late season call-ups in Baltimore. A couple of injury shortened years. Do not let common sense get in the way of your manipulation of numbers.

He is also the winningest postseason pitcher in major league history because he played for the Yankees.

He has the most wins. He is not the winningest. Again, that is more a by-product of his being on the Yankees. Like with his bloated regular season win total, did he have a phenomenal ERA, K total or any other meaningful stat? No. He is a good picture. He played on a team that had a historical run and was generally one of the best teams.

So you admit that the Yankees are really really good? I'll take it!

So you admit that the Yankees are really really good? I'll take it!

Max clearly they have been the best team of the last 20 years.

Is his 19 wins because he was a Yankee? Similar to the Braves pitchers that are in the Top 10 of most post season lists. Or is it because he was dominant? His numbers are ok. Similar to his regular season numbers, but they are not great.

If Andy was a Twin would he have those great numbers? No. he would be a good picture in a "no win" situation.

Is his 19 wins because he was a Yankee? Similar to the Braves pitchers that are in the Top 10 of most post season lists. Or is it because he was dominant? His numbers are ok. Similar to his regular season numbers, but they are not great.

If Andy was a Twin would he have those great numbers? No. he would be a good picture in a "no win" situation.

Wow you're a brutal homer.

That's how it works though. People put up better numbers because of the players that are around them. Can't discount the accomplishments completely like a lot of RSN seems to be doing.

At the end of the day, he took the ball and won all those big games. Yes he had the opportunity to do it. Yes he did it though.

That's how it works though. People put up better numbers because of the players that are around them. Can't discount the accomplishments completely like a lot of RSN seems to be doing.

At the end of the day, he took the ball and won all those big games. Yes he had the opportunity to do it. Yes he did it though.

Very true Max.

He did not choke in the playoffs.

I am only saying he is not the second coming of Cy Young. He was a good pitcher. He was dependable as they come.

However, if he landed with the Mets, would we be a Hall of Fame candidate? No. He would probably have been lucky to get 150 wins.

In today's baseball, IMHO, they need to scrutinize big market players even more for Hall selection. He had 240 wins, was 102 games over .500 and won 19 post season games. He was also a member of the bests team of the last 20 years with 6 titles and 9 WS appearances.

Wow you're a brutal homer.

Dude I have argued Yaz does not belong in the Hall.

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

Archived