David Harris to get Franchise Tag

KINGDIRK

OfficialBraylon Braylon Edwards

Days like this are going to make me play like a man possessed next season...1 goal...Superbowl! I will NOT fall short again!

All Im saying is he better be brought back!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All Im saying is he better be brought back!

I'm totally with you on this one...I've been praying the Jets would get a receiver like him since KJ split for Tampa and to let him go and waste the DP they had to use to get him would be insane-not to metion having to see him playing with Tom Brady next year

I personally think you're going to see all 4 Harris, Cro, Holmes and Edwards back. You'll see a lot of restructured contracts, zero other "big" signing, the brad smiths of the world will be gone, and a lot trading down for depth. Jmo.

I hope you're right HS

Problem is if you don't franchise Harris than who. He is by far the cheapest tag as it relates to position.

Good point. Also, Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie all have off the field risk that have to be considered in making big long term deals.

This will be a very challenging off season. I am very happy we have Mr. T to deal with it.

Who wants to be the guy to trust Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards with long-term financial security?

Even worse: who wants to be the guy being responsible for seeing either Braylon or Santonio burning us for another 5 years or so up in New England? That has to be weighed into every equation TS...

Even worse: who wants to be the guy being responsible for seeing either Braylon or Santonio burning us for another 5 years or so up in New England? That has to be weighed into every equation TS...

F-CKING THIS!!!!!!!!

Lots of concerns. Another one I have is letting an OC with a brain in his head get a hold of Brad Smith.

That would be horrible indeed. Weird FA year in that Indy and the Pats both need WR help badly. That'd be tough to watch.

he's expendable Dennis-also it might help us finally lose that stupid Wildcat crap from Schotty's quiver

I don't know about that Jimmy. I agree the way the Jets run the wildcat, although effective and usually gets positive yards, is disruptive to the flow of the offense the way Schotty uses it at times. However, I am afraid this guy's open field running can be used in a number of ways that Schotty has never dreamed of.

mark my words ... we will regret it if it happens.

I don't know about that Jimmy. I agree the way the Jets run the wildcat, although effective and usually gets positive yards, is disruptive to the flow of the offense the way Schotty uses it at times. However, I am afraid this guy's open field running can be used in a number of ways that Schotty has never dreamed of.

mark my words ... we will regret it if it happens.

you can't keep everybody and if he's stolen away as RFA does that mean we get like a 2nd rounder for him-I have no idea how that all works. All I know is this: I'd rather have to defend against Brad Smith 2-3 times a year than against either a PO'd Braylon Edwards or a determined Santonio Holmes...

you can't keep everybody and if he's stolen away as RFA does that mean we get like a 2nd rounder for him-I have no idea how that all works. All I know is this: I'd rather have to defend against Brad Smith 2-3 times a year than against either a PO'd Braylon Edwards or a determined Santonio Holmes...

No doubt. Like I said, a very challenging off year. I hate to say it, as good as I think Mr. T is, I don't see how the Jets are not a weaker team next year. I hope I am wrong.

I think Smith will be an unrestricted FA, no?

The best you can do when you lose a FA is get a compensatory pick at the end of the third round in the following year's draft - or something near pick #100. And that's based on the contract size of the players you lost, and the players you signed. Don't see Brad signing a deal that would put him in that type of category. Holmes, Cro, Harris, or Edwards all could, though.

No doubt. Like I said, a very challenging off year. I hate to say it, as good as I think Mr. T is, I don't see how the Jets are not a weaker team next year. I hope I am wrong.

IDK DM-that defense showed it's age in that Pittsburgh game-got to get younger on that side of the ball

he should have gotten the same treatment from Jets fans that Rex got down here from Fins fans last winter...

Noone was really paying attention to him. The DJ announced his presence and people collectively didnt give a ****.

Phag fans are correct, he's one strange robotic looking dude with a strange haircut.

if the pats or colts gets holmes he's going to be an all pro.. can't see the wisdom in franchising harris to be honest

the Jets should never do to Sanchez what New England has always done to Brady-take away his weapons and say "you're great-make due with what you got". Mark isn't that good a player. Look how he grew with having Braylon for the 2nd year-another off season with Santonio and we could be a scary offensive unit.

We needed to tag Harris. If this dude hit the market, there would definately be at least one team that would make him a sick offer; more money than we'll end up giving him for a long term contract.

Bart Scott got $8M a year two years ago. Harris is younger and better so he would easily eclipse that. This move was necessary- simply couldnt let this guy hit the open market.

Have a feeling Harris, Holmes and Cro will all be back....with Edwards and Smith goners. Considering the landscape of the NFL, Id say that is pretty good. Plus some stupid team will pay Edwards close to #1 WR money which he doesnt deserve. Could always rent a T.O. type next next year.

the Jets should never do to Sanchez what New England has always done to Brady-take away his weapons and say "you're great-make due with what you got". Mark isn't that good a player. Look how he grew with having Braylon for the 2nd year-another off season with Santonio and we could be a scary offensive unit.

agreed 100%..

Word. It either means that Rex is calling all the shots on personnel, or Tannenbaum doesn't want to look like he whiffed on Kyle Wilson and is going to let Cromartie walk to prove it.

Leave it Tom to have a conspiracy theory about Mike T. ready to go. ;)

I think the answer is neither of those things, Tom. First and foremost, I doubt franchising Harris is the be-all-and-end-all. Like it or not, Tannenbaum is shrewd and knows what he's doing. Until the new CBA gets settled on, there was no way he was going to add Harris onto the long list of long-term deals he's going to have to offer up this offseason just yet.

Harris will get his deal in due time. In the meantime, I think Cromartie was always going to be gone. For the amount of money we'd have to pay him, he's very "meh". He wants # 1 corner money, but I think we can find someone else to do the job we asked of him....run really fast following a guy in a straight line and be able to jump. He's worthless against a lot of the # 2 receivers we need him to cover. You know, the quick little guys like Nate Burleson and Davonne Bess who can simply eat Cro alive.

Hopefully Wilson works out. After all, he's a freaking 1st rounder, so him starting opposite of Revis always was the plan. I wouldn't put it past Rex to draft yet another corner this year either, though not in the 1st round. One thing Rex loves to do as much as eat is draft corners.

Leave it Tom to have a conspiracy theory about Mike T. ready to go. ;)

I think the answer is neither of those things, Tom. First and foremost, I doubt franchising Harris is the be-all-and-end-all. Like it or not, Tannenbaum is shrewd and knows what he's doing. Until the new CBA gets settled on, there was no way he was going to add Harris onto the long list of long-term deals he's going to have to offer up this offseason just yet.

Harris will get his deal in due time. In the meantime, I think Cromartie was always going to be gone. For the amount of money we'd have to pay him, he's very "meh". He wants # 1 corner money, but I think we can find someone else to do the job we asked of him....run really fast following a guy in a straight line and be able to jump. He's worthless against a lot of the # 2 receivers we need him to cover. You know, the quick little guys like Nate Burleson and Davonne Bess who can simply eat Cro alive.

Hopefully Wilson works out. After all, he's a freaking 1st rounder, so him starting opposite of Revis always was the plan. I wouldn't put it past Rex to draft yet another corner this year either, though not in the 1st round. One thing Rex loves to do as much as eat is draft corners.

None of which precludes Tannenbaum from being a puppy-kicker.

Archived