Shoulder surgery

Bob

I'm having arthroscopic shoulder surgery two weeks from today. Rotator cuff tear, grinding off some bone and whatever else they find that needs fixing.

So, I'd like to hear from any of you who've been through this about what to expect in terms of recovery time, rehab and tips for living a one-armed life for at least a couple weeks. I've got to say, the thing that bugs me most is trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to get any sleep.

My brother had that (I think that's what he had.....). Anyways, you have to be VERY careful with your shoulder, as it can re-injure pretty easily, even easier than my knees. My brother still has a hard time raising his arm straight up in the air and it's been like 2 years....I THINK it rotator cuff, but not 100% sure.

I'm having arthroscopic shoulder surgery two weeks from today. Rotator cuff tear, grinding off some bone and whatever else they find that needs fixing.

So, I'd like to hear from any of you who've been through this about what to expect in terms of recovery time, rehab and tips for living a one-armed life for at least a couple weeks. I've got to say, the thing that bugs me most is trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to get any sleep.

Good luck. It's a strange deal. I've been avoiding even getting checked, but mine is not that bad. My cousin had both done. The bad one was done first, he followed the rehab closely and everything went great. Ahead of schedule on everything. The second one seemed to go well, but he has had nothing but trouble. Constant setbacks, trouble with his collar bone, etc. and that was his "good" arm. As for sleeping he went out and bought a recliner and slept on that for a few weeks on some medical professional's recommendation. Seemed to work well.

Good luck. It's a strange deal. I've been avoiding even getting checked, but mine is not that bad. My cousin had both done. The bad one was done first, he followed the rehab closely and everything went great. Ahead of schedule on everything. The second one seemed to go well, but he has had nothing but trouble. Constant setbacks, trouble with his collar bone, etc. and that was his "good" arm. As for sleeping he went out and bought a recliner and slept on that for a few weeks on some medical professional's recommendation. Seemed to work well.

Exactly. That's what you have to do.

Yeah. I can't sleep in a recliner, nor in a car or an airplane or anywhere else that's not a bed. hell, I even hate hotel beds.

Planning to try the recliner, though. I guess I'll fall asleep if I get exhausted enough, after a day or two.

Yeah. I can't sleep in a recliner, nor in a car or an airplane or anywhere else that's not a bed. hell, I even hate hotel beds.

Planning to try the recliner, though. I guess I'll fall asleep if I get exhausted enough, after a day or two.

With the medication you'll be on, it'll be easy to sleep.

Good Luck with any surgery. Ive been out of work about a year, 5 months out of spinal surgery. Sucks to get old and get injured.

Sorry to hear about your injury. At least mine is just an arm. My job does not include physical labor, so I'm hoping to be back in a few weeks. You're right - getting old and injured sucks.

Didn't have the rotator cuff done, but I had a torn labrum repaired and some bone ground down to get rid of arthritis. The first week you will be miserable and will gain some real appreciation for the missing arm. Apart from the whole sleeping thing, depending on whether it is your preferred arm (righty/lefty) you will have issues wiping your a$$, opening jars, boxes, wrappers, getting dressed etc. I highly recommend going regularly to a good therapist in order to get your full range of motion back. My therapist beat the crap out of me but it helped big time since they will push you much harder than you would push yourself. My one was pretty hot French woman and that helped too. It will take a few months to get back to almost normal though. Good luck.

Good Luck with the surgery Bob.

I hurt mine a few years ago and wish I had gotten it done at that time.

Didn't have the rotator cuff done, but I had a torn labrum repaired and some bone ground down to get rid of arthritis. The first week you will be miserable and will gain some real appreciation for the missing arm. Apart from the whole sleeping thing, depending on whether it is your preferred arm (righty/lefty) you will have issues wiping your a$$, opening jars, boxes, wrappers, getting dressed etc. I highly recommend going regularly to a good therapist in order to get your full range of motion back. My therapist beat the crap out of me but it helped big time since they will push you much harder than you would push yourself. My one was pretty hot French woman and that helped too. It will take a few months to get back to almost normal though. Good luck.

I actually had the a$$-wiping conversation with some buddies. One of them suggested dragging my a$$ across the rug like the dog in the TV commercial. Another one suggested a power washer. :D Yeah, it's my dominant arm. this is going to be an enormous hassle.

Follow everything your physical therapist tell you...and keep it slow and steady...shoulder injuries suck and they tend to stick around.

Yes, this is the most important. It's sucks and you will sweat and get tired of it, but it's worth it. However, if you think it will be an easy task, it won't. I personally didn't have my shoulder done (I had my knees), but I've been to PT with my brother (who tore his shoulder labrum), and it's pretty difficult. But it's a MUST!

Ive had dislocated shoulder surgeries.

Arthroscopic is good. The wound will be small and heal faster. Much easier to shower as well. You obviously dont want the wound to get wet for awhile. They gave me a shoulder sling that also attaches to your body so the arm cant move.

Good Luck Bob. I hope when all is said and done you can still get that D1 football scholarship.

Good luck, Bob. and please take the rehab seriously. the shoulder is the worst joint on your body to have problems with.

When I was rehabbing from nerve damage in my arm a few years back I was next to a guy doing shoulder rehab. he was walking a mini ladder with his fingers :)

I hope everything works out for the best! you gotta be able to use your beloved macbook pro with both hands ;)

Good luck, Bob. and please take the rehab seriously. the shoulder is the worst joint on your body to have problems with.

When I was rehabbing from nerve damage in my arm a few years back I was next to a guy doing shoulder rehab. he was walking a mini ladder with his fingers :)

I hope everything works out for the best! you gotta be able to use your beloved macbook pro with both hands ;)

Yeah, I tried PT before resorting to surgery and did the little ladder thing. It was not a problem, then. Probably will be after.

I'm sure plenty of guys on the Internet are using one hand, though for a different reason...

Yeah, I tried PT before resorting to surgery and did the little ladder thing. It was not a problem, then. Probably will be after.

I'm sure plenty of guys on the Internet are using one hand, though for a different reason...

Looks like youll have to go without sex for a while until your arm heals up.

Been through it on both shoulders. Its not that bad as long as you work hard in the rehab part. I found the meds to be very enjoyable ;)

Archived