Source: Jets deny Titans' request

Larz

toal bullsh*t. good luck hiring assistants in the future if you block their advancement. this isn't al davis here either

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Archive The New York Jets denied the Tennessee Titans request to interview Jets assistant head coach Bill Callahan, a source said.

Titans coach Mike Munchak targeted Callahan as a possible replacement for fired offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger. But because Callahan is under contract, the Jets had the ability to block the move.

Callahan, according to a source, wouldn't mind becoming an offensive coordinator again because it would enhance his chances of getting another head coaching position.

Callahan was head coach for the Oakland Raiders and the University of Nebraska. He coaches the Jets offensive line and helps build the running offense.

doesn't Rex allow his coaching staff to talk to the media in order to help themselves get better jobs? then he blocks them when opportunities come up? so far he has blocked Thurman and Callahan..

Don't get me wrong I understand why Rex did it but it somewhat goes against what he preaches

Me thinks in about 9 months you're going to be starting a "Thank God We Blocked Tennessee From Getting Callahan" Thread.

I don't think anyone here who has half a brain doesn't realize how important Callahan is. The point is blocking him from advancing is bullsh*t. I wish he was our OC but if we're going to let that Nitwit Schotty run our offense into the ground for the forseeable future there's no reason to punish Callahan for it.

I don't think anyone here who has half a brain doesn't realize how important Callahan is. The point is blocking him from advancing is bullsh*t. I wish he was our OC but if we're going to let that Nitwit Schotty run our offense into the ground for the forseeable future there's no reason to punish Callahan for it.

It happens all the time and this is getting blown way out of proportion (not surprisingly, Jets fans and rushing to indignation when it comes to anything seems to go hand in hand). The general concession is normally universal when it's for a HC position. The team's well within its right, he's under contract and Schott's also only on the books for like $1 million to boot. It's a good move and it's the best possible safety net for a team that's going to be most likely letting its OC go around October/Novemberish.

Interesting that it's the second time it's happened this offseason. That said, given the reps of both Rex and Tanny, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt here and imagined they went to these guys and had a conversation with them about this whole situation. Besides, in the case of Callahan it's not exactly like the guy doesn't have a good gig with the Jets, the guy is the Assistant Head Coach after all.

Maybe Callahan didn't want to tell the Titans no?

This, Callahan refusing the Titans looks bad for him.

Telling the Jets to tell them "no" is the politically correct way to handle it. Callahan wants to be a HC again eventually, why would he take a job in Tennessee where they have no QB, and an unproven HC taking over after they fired Fisher the most tenured coach in the league?

If I'm Callahan, I stay with the Jets because its my best chance at a ring - and leave for the right opportunity only.

Look, its not like Callahan is this young up-and-comer who is looking for a big break. He's been around the block before. Maybe the Jets are preventing him from a 2nd chance at moving up on the ladder to another HC job, but dammit, Callahan is the LAST coach under Rex I want being poached away from us.

The Jets may have been wrong to not allow Thurman to interview elsewhere, but this was the right move. If someone wants to interview Schottenheimer, have at it. Send them a gift basket and thank them for taking him off our hands if he goes. But it'll be a cold day in Hell when I'd be cool with someone just taking a top OL coach away from us, and it would ALL be Schotty's fault for being sh*tty and not worth the time of an organization with an OC or HC opening.

Look, its not like Callahan is this young up-and-comer who is looking for a big break. He's been around the block before. Maybe the Jets are preventing him from a 2nd chance at moving up on the ladder to another HC job, but dammit, Callahan is the LAST coach under Rex I want being poached away from us.

The Jets may have been wrong to not allow Thurman to interview elsewhere, but this was the right move. If someone wants to interview Schottenheimer, have at it. Send them a gift basket and thank them for taking him off our hands if he goes. But it'll be a cold day in Hell when I'd be cool with someone just taking a top OL coach away from us, and it would ALL be Schotty's fault for being sh*tty and not worth the time of an organization with an OC or HC opening.

That it is. He's had his hand in many a fictional disaster.

jets.gif

John Clayton of ESPN is reporting that the New York Jets have denied the Tennessee Titans permission to interview offensive line coach Bill Callahan for their offensive coordinator position.  The Jets are well within their rights to deny the Titans as Callahan is under contract for the 2011 season, and is not being interviewed for a head coach position.  If the Titans were offering a head coach opportunity Gang Green would not be allowed to block the request.

There are two ways to look at this move by the Jets.  From an organizational standpoint Bill Callahan is one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL, therefore it is a no-brainer to want to retain him.  In addition, if offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer leaves next year, Callahan could easily take over the play calling responsibilities which would keep some form of continuity for quarterback Mark Sanchez.

From the assistant coaches perspective this is the second time the Jets have blocked a coach from interviewing for a better position (Gang Green also denied a request for Dennis Thurman).  Rex Ryan has always preached about how he loves to promote his coaches, even allowing them access to the media.  Does it not seem a bit hypocritical to start blocking interviews?  I don’t think this move is going to ruffle any feathers in the locker room, but it will be interesting to see how Ryan handles his coaching staff going forward.

For the record I am glad that the Jets are retaining Callahan as I cannot see Schottenheimer lasting more than next season.  In all honesty I believe he would have been gone this year if not for his pricey salary, which is believed to be around$1 million dollars.

WRPR108lrVM

View the full article

I'm hoping they went to Bill first and he didn't want to talk with them. Bud Adams is 2nd only to Al Davis on the list of dickwads that are too senile have say so in the NFL. And the gap is narrowing. I would want nothing to do with working for him.

any team is allowed to block a peripheral move. Callahan being the Titans OC ISN'T a step up-had he been interviewed for the head coaching job the Jets would not be allowed to block the move. Why any Jets fan would say the Jets are scumbags for doing this are crazy...why give away the best OL coach (as well as our Asst. HC and OC) in the league and for what-what do the Jets gain by just giving away talented people?

I was thinking the same thng

or maybe they're hoping somebody takes him off our hands. Rex wouldn't fire Brian-not shouldn't or couldn't but he won't-they are too much alike. Kids whose fathers were head coaches and grew up around the game. That's why there's also a kinship between Rex and Belichick-rivals and all yes, but they feel the same way about each other.

unless they' planning on canning schotty, it's a scummy move.. oh well, i can root for scumbags that win football games, no problemo

Yep. Tired of being the team that played nice. That was the team that signed Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin to huge extensions for no reason other than them being nice guys. Time to start being the a$$holes.

Kids whose fathers were head coaches and grew up around the game. That's why there's also a kinship between Rex and Belichick-rivals and all yes, but they feel the same way about each other.

I hate that the NFL is so patriarchal. What would be the worst thing that could happen by firing Schotty, if Rex wanted to? Marty would yell at us?

I hate that the NFL is so patriarchal. What would be the worst thing that could happen by firing Schotty, if Rex wanted to? Marty would yell at us?

not only is is that but it's like a small town that all of your aunts, uncles, cousins and both grandmas and grandpas live in...wait that sounds like the town I grew up in...

Its BS they don't let him interview for the OC job..Its SOP in the NFL..They'll have a hard time getting quality coaches in the future if this is going to be normal practice for the NYJ's. Rex is hypocritical to allow this horses**t

o_0. I'm pretty sure their are many players and coaches out there who would love to play for Rex. I don't see how you can be against Rex on this considering he's trying to keep a great team together to reach a SB.

I don't like the idea of blocking a guy from advancement but from a selfish fan standpoint I don't want him going anywhere

no, he had the right to enter into a contract in which he gave up that right, which he did.

don't like the coach block but to say "he had the right" just isn't true.

Archived