So This Is How The 2011 Red Sox Should Line-Up

CrazyCarl40

That goes without saying.

Yankees won 2 of 3 at home as the Rangers were ending a 9 game road swing.

The defending AL Champion Rangers swept the Sox in the opening series at their stadium after listening to all the experts anointing the Sox as the 2011 AL Champion.

There is a slight difference in the way things set-up for the Sox and the Yankees. Just like you cannot make too much out of the Sox winning 2 of 3 from the Yanks.

Dizzy from spinning yet? Haha

BTW Granderson's SLG > Ellsbury's OPS. Ellsbury is clearly better.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, this is why the Mets are hysterical and awesome

Used by the Mets' relief corps to transport necessary articles — items such as fingernail clippers, medical supplies, Krazy Glue and toys — a rolling toolbox given the name of "Stanley" went from helpful and treasured mascot to scapegoat for the team's bullpen blunders. Apparently, Wilpon didn't think the Mets deserved Stanley.

So the Mets killed Stanley. How quickly fortunes can change during the 162-game marathon that is a baseball season.

A Mets reliever, perhaps one who had become close with the toolbox, punctuated Stanley's moment of truth.

"Stanley's dead," relief pitcher Tim Byrdak(notes) said solemnly, "and we move on."

A post in the New York Times' Bats Blog detailed how Stanley met his end.

Wilpon gave his order to Dan Warthen, the pitching coach. So, on Thursday afternoon, Warthen asked every player and coach to donate an article of clothing or piece of equipment to place inside Stanley as a sacrifice. Most obliged, and then, as in a scene out of a movie, Stanley was taken into a back room before the game and ceremonially obliterated with bats.

Close your eyes and you can imagine the carnage playing out in slow motion, with violins scoring the scene to emphasize how sad and tragic the violence was. Perhaps the scene ends with Warthen turning away, eyes shut tight, and a single tear dropping down his cheek.

You never annoy me Mike, Just amuse me with your inane chatter and then how you run to the Mods when you get your feelings hurt.

Yes and thats why you feel the need to thread squat every thread I post in even though you have literally ZERO points about anything. Carry on with the inane babble.

Yes and thats why you feel the need to thread squat every thread I post in even though you have literally ZERO points about anything. Carry on with the inane babble.

I feel the need to "thread squat" because you run like a child to the Mods, any time your feelings get hurt? How is that even a coherent thought?

It is along the lines of your "Jason Giambi is a borderline Hall of Fame player" comment. Nonsensical

Dizzy from spinning yet? Haha

BTW Granderson's SLG > Ellsbury's OPS. Ellsbury is clearly better.

Granderson may well be better than Ellsbury (I have always liked Granderson), but quoting their stats so far this year doesn't say much given the sample size. I wouldn't be surprised if Granderson has a better year (especially given his start). Both are excellent centerfielders.

Granderson may well be better than Ellsbury (I have always liked Granderson), but quoting their stats so far this year doesn't say much given the sample size. I wouldn't be surprised if Granderson has a better year (especially given his start). Both are excellent centerfielders.

Ellsbury is terrible. He's a decent defender but on the whole he's just a terrible baseball player. It's pretty funny that Boston fans are blind as to how bad he is. I only compared him to granderson because that pats troll was making the hilarious point that he's better than granderson.

Ellsbury is terrible. He's a decent defender but on the whole he's just a terrible baseball player. It's pretty funny that Boston fans are blind as to how bad he is. I only compared him to granderson because that pats troll was making the hilarious point that he's better than granderson.

He's a major leaguer. Must be halfway decent.

Actually, he was 2.7 Wins Above Replacement in 2009 (Granderson was 3.0) and judging a slap hitter based on OPS is retarded.

You're comparing Granderson's worst year to Ellsbury's best and granderson was still better. BTW if you want to weight OPS so that OBP is more important (which I would agree with) and not penalize him for not having any power he looks even worse because his OBP sucks too.

Granderson Career wOBA: .358

Ellsbury Career wOBA: .342

League average is usually around .330

Nice job breaking out the wOBA. Though that actually undervalues Granderson's power. Another reason not to like it that is overvalues stolen bases and doesn't take caught stealing into account which is much more detrimental than stealing a base is beneficial. All that and Granderson still a good deal better.

wOBA doesn't account for SB or CS. Also, Ellsbury has a better career SB success rate anyways. I will concede that Granderson has a better track record overall though. Still, your statement that Ellsbury is terrible is a huge exaggeration.

Yeah it does. It's weighted at .2 for a steal and -.44 for a CS which i (and others) think is too low. Pretty much every metric says granderson is a much better player. Brett Gardner is better than Ellsbusy and he's a pretty mediocre player too.

Yeah it does. It's weighted at .2 for a steal and -.44 for a CS which i (and others) think is too low. Pretty much every metric says granderson is a much better player. Brett Gardner is better than Ellsbusy and he's a pretty mediocre player too.

Gardner? Really? Come on. That dude is terrible.

And why are we comparing a 27 year old and a 30 year old? Why don't we see how Jacoby has developed in three years and resume the comparison.

Gardner? Really? Come on. That dude is terrible.

And why are we comparing a 27 year old and a 30 year old? Why don't we see how Jacoby has developed in three years and resume the comparison.

Garnder isn't great. He's just better than Ellsbury which just goes to illustrate how awful Ellsbury is. His 2010 season was better than Ellsbury has ever been.

If you compare them at age 27 Granderson still kicks his a$$ so your point is dumb.

http://www.insidethebook.com/woba.shtml

Nothing about SB or CS in that formula.

And yeah, Gardner was pretty damn valuable last year. I think Ellsbury is more talented but I can't deny that Gardner's vastly superior OBP makes him more valuable right now. I do think that eventually Ellsbury will improve his plate discipline though. Let's also not forget that neither of these guys have played more than 2 full seasons in the MLB.

http://www.insidethebook.com/woba.shtml

Nothing about SB or CS in that formula.

And yeah, Gardner was pretty damn valuable last year. I think Ellsbury is more talented but I can't deny that Gardner's vastly superior OBP makes him more valuable right now. I do think that eventually Ellsbury will improve his plate discipline though. Let's also not forget that neither of these guys have played more than 2 full seasons in the MLB.

From what I can gather the Fangraphs version of wOBA has those SB-CS calculations...

Check out the comments:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/a-visual-look-at-woba/

BTW It's awesome that there is someone else on here who actually knows what wOBA is. Hopefully you'll keep posting.

From what I can gather the Fangraphs version of wOBA has those SB-CS calculations...

Check out the comments:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/a-visual-look-at-woba/

BTW It's awesome that there is someone else on here who actually knows what wOBA is. Hopefully you'll keep posting.

Oh I see. I hate undocumented stuff like that. I love Fangraphs though. Sortable sabermtric stats and projections 4tw. I posted a bit last season and will probably be off and on this season. It probably depends on how many mafia games I play.

Oh I see. I hate undocumented stuff like that. I love Fangraphs though. Sortable sabermtric stats and projections 4tw. I posted a bit last season and will probably be off and on this season. It probably depends on how many mafia games I play.

It's nice to actually have a fact based discussion around here. Most of the arguments in the baseball forum consist of either people taking up arguments along team lines or baseball thinking circa 1932.

Archived