CC Could Opt Out After Season

CrazyCarl40

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6120676

CC Sabathia could still opt out

By Andrew Marchand

ESPNNewYork.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- In a reversal that could further complicate the New York Yankees pitching future, CC Sabathia has changed course and has left the door open to opt out of his seven-year, $161 million contract after this season.

"I have no idea [if I will opt out,]" a noticeably lighter Sabathia said in the Yankees clubhouse Monday morning, as pitchers and catchers reported. "It is still in my contract. Anything is possible."

Sabathia can opt out of his deal after the third year, which comes after this season. Since the middle of last season, the left-hander has repeatedly stated that he likes New York and playing for the Yankees and would not try to become a free agent.

Sabathia, 30, originally had the clause put into his contract because he was hesitant about coming to the Yankees. Since then Sabathia has embraced being a Yankee and truly seems to love being part of the team's tradition.

It makes sense from a business perspective for Sabathia to at least threaten to use the clause. He went 21-7 with a 3.18 ERA and finished third in Cy Young voting last season. His first season with New York was strong as well (19-8, 3.37). Another strong year and the Yankees might be eager to add more years and dollars to his deal.

It's not clear, though, how much more the market will bear for a player of his age and if Sabathia would be willing to leave about $90 million guaranteed on the table. Free agent Cliff Lee flirted with the Yankees before signing with the Phillies for five years and $120 million at age 32. That deal averages just about a $1 million more per season than the deal for Sabathia, who would be looking for a new deal at age 31 if he opts out.

The Yankees' staff desperately needs Sabathia to perform this year and beyond. With Sabathia's good friend Lee saying no to the Yankees and Andy Pettitte retiring, the Yankees have Phil Hughes and A.J. Burnett behind Sabathia. After that, Ivan Nova, Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon and Sergio Mitre will fight for the fourth and fifth starter spots.

Sabathia, who had knee surgery this offseason, said he is 25 pounds lighter after he stopped eating full boxes of Cap'n Crunch. The 6-foot-7 Sabathia had reported to past camps well over 300 pounds. With the assist of a trainer and a chef, he has an eye on the future.

"I'm getting older," Sabathia said. "I want to try and pitch as long as I can. Hopefully, another eight to 10 years, and this is just the first step in trying to do that."

Sabathia has stated that he wants to pitch at least until he's 40. He would be 35 at the end of this current deal with the Yankees. He was reminded Monday that he has said that he would see that contract to the end.

"I said that," Sabathia said. "I'm here to try and help the team win. I don't want to talk about that all year."

When a reporter pressed, Sabathia quickly turned the attention to the present.

"I'm here," Sabathia said. "I'm in the clubhouse."

CC has already said earlier this offseason he plans on staying and his family loves NY

way to spin, mr. spin cycle

Did you read the article? That is included along with C.C.'s comment. "I have no idea [if I will opt out,]" a noticeably lighter Sabathia said in the Yankees clubhouse Monday morning, as pitchers and catchers reported. "It is still in my contract. Anything is possible."

He will be a Phillie with Cliff Lee in 2012. ;)

CC has already said earlier this offseason he plans on staying and his family loves NY

way to spin, mr. spin cycle

I didn't write the article, how could I spin anything? I was just posting this as information. I had no idea he had that in his contract. I don't think he'll do it, but we'll see.

Every team has its limits, even the Yankees. They expressed as much in the Lee negotiation.

It is just their limit is beyond everyone else. Just looks like no one is wanting to play for them, even with the highest price tag.

Cliff Lee is one person. Other than that- who has taken less money to play elsewhere? I know that's what you want to believe because you hate the Yankees- but it aint true. At least not yet.

Every team has its limits, even the Yankees. They expressed as much in the Lee negotiation.

It is just their limit is beyond everyone else. Just looks like no one is wanting to play for them, even with the highest price tag.

This is very true... about the Mets. hahah

BTW the best closer on the market this offseason took a set up role to play here so you saying the lee thing is anything but a unique situation is dumb.

Cliff Lee is one person. Other than that- who has taken less money to play elsewhere? I know that's what you want to believe because you hate the Yankees- but it aint true. At least not yet.

CC Sabathia had to be paid over market (Yankees bid against themselves) and now is going to opt out. Same as A-Rod.

yeah, players love the Yankees. Only to extort them.

This is very true... about the Mets. hahah

BTW the best closer on the market this offseason took a set up role to play here so you saying the lee thing is anything but a unique situation is dumb.

Are you allowed to post in the baseball forum.

This is meant for adults who have the ability to contain their emotions. You have exhibited a problem with that in the past.

But I guess you are here for amusement factor-Like telling us Phil Hughes has "HOF kind of stuff" when he was in the minors. ;)

Are you allowed to post in the baseball forum.

This is meant for adults who have the ability to contain their emotions. You have exhibited a problem with that in the past.

But I guess you are here for amusement factor-Like telling us Phil Hughes has "HOF kind of stuff" when he was in the minors. ;)

If you can post the awful drivel you post in here on a daily basis anything I say is tame by comparison. You've got exactly zero actual arguments on any topic. Lets see you try to turn this thread about me instead of backing up the stupidity you're spewing in your prior posts haha. Notice how I was addressing a baseball argument and you respond in typical troll fashion with a personal attack that completely ignores the thread topic.

This is a typcial spring training nonstory. No one will pay CC that much. he likes being a Yankee. The writers have nothing to do until games start in March. And if CC does, such is life.

any anyone who tries to spin it any other way is a jackass. Only way CC opts out is to make the Yankees pay him more lol

any anyone who tries to spin it any other way is a jackass. Only way CC opts out is to make the Yankees pay him more lol

and you don't see that as a problem? if no one else will pay him what he's currently making, why the hell should the yankees give in and give him a better contract.

and you don't see that as a problem? if no one else will pay him what he's currently making, why the hell should the yankees give in and give him a better contract.

There. Someone else gets it.

Some Yankee fans think that the Yankees are this bottomless pit of money that has no barrier. That is not so. The more you give Sabathia, the less you have to go some place else.

This is a typcial spring training nonstory. No one will pay CC that much. he likes being a Yankee. The writers have nothing to do until games start in March. And if CC does, such is life.

Ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner!!!!!

The Yankees are all set to have a quiet spring and the writers need to invent a controversy to amuse themselves and titillate Red Sox fans and Yankee haters like Dierking.

Nothing to see here. Move on.

Whatever dude. Just keep fapping over this news. CC ain't going anywhere.

All I am trying to do is be realistic-Something you seem to be incapable of doing.

Here is the realistic approach-

IF CC opts out, again IF:

-It means there is a slight opportunity that he may not be a Yankee. I would guess that represents bad news to the Yankees

or

-It means the Yankees have to spend more money to keep him. That is less money that can be spent elsewhere. I would say that is not good either.

Keep with your sunny, naive disposition. It is so charming.

All I am trying to do is be realistic-Something you seem to be incapable of doing.

Here is the realistic approach-

IF CC opts out, again IF:

-It means there is a slight opportunity that he may not be a Yankee. I would guess that represents bad news to the Yankees

or

-It means the Yankees have to spend more money to keep him. That is less money that can be spent elsewhere. I would say that is not good either.

Keep with your sunny, naive disposition. It is so charming.

FAP FAP FAP

Archived