Denver Post - Melo to Knicks a Done Deal

Bergen Jet

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get what you're saying, JH, but my point is that there is no shot at a Big 3 without getting Melo now.

And NOW is the key word. I don't think the Knicks overplayed their hand because it was obvious that Melo wanted his $65 million. Thus, what other choice did the Knicks have?

If you want to blame anyone for the price (which I don't think is a lot for a team 2 games over .500), then blame Melo for wanting his money now. If the Knicks had gotten an indication that Melo was willing to wait until the summer then I'm pretty sure the Knicks would have waited. Melo told Denver he didn't want to do a rental deal. He wanted his extension. The Knicks had no other choice.

Oh, I will hold plenty of contempt for Melo if they still haven't made the ECF 4 years from now because they weren't able to bring in Paul or Deron. If he's serious about wanting to play with Paul, then he should be willing to take a few million less - at the very least, not taking a raise between 2011 and 2012 - to give the Knicks more cap space to make it happen.

Say what you will about them, but Wade/LBJ/Bosh all took less money in order to play together and still be able to add a couple of complementary pieces. They put winning first. Let's see what Melo's priorities are, though I suspect we already know at his point.

the KNicks got better - but not much better for the rest of this year

Felton was preforming at his maximum level....but Gallinari is a big loss.

good job keeping Fields though

No he's not. He's a one dimensional player who doesn't even shoot 35% from 3. He's really not a good player. Felton was playing great but he was a short term rental and probably not the long term solution at PG. While I hate that they gave up so much and I think they completely bungled the negotiation, they really didn't give up anything that irreplaceable.

No he's not. He's a one dimensional player who doesn't even shoot 35% from 3. He's really not a good player. Felton was playing great but he was a short term rental and probably not the long term solution at PG. While I hate that they gave up so much and I think they completely bungled the negotiation, they really didn't give up anything that irreplaceable.

you guys got cap space for Deron Williams in 2012 too

Well, the good news is that, if you're a sneakerhead, there are already rumors that Jordan Brand might bring back the AJ X's in the Knicks colorway with a Jordan athlete on the team now (a classic by all measures, I've seen pairs on ebay for over a grand easily). Should be some cool sh*t coming out in terms of footwear regardless with Melo on the team for at least the next 3 and 1/2 years.

Yes, this particular aspect is a big deal to me. Screw you guys.

jordanxnewyork12sz10.jpg

At the end of the day we gave up dick for Melo.

Chandler was gone after this year. Gallo is replaced by Melo. Billups replaces Felton for the next 1.5 years. You remember Billups, the guy who was in 5 straight all-star games going into this year? Timofey I wanted to keep... as a developmental player. We got to keep Landry Fields and put ourselves in decent cap situation for the next big free agent class of 2012. Curry's contract was moot as there was no other deal where we could have used it. Anthony Randolph has upside but who knows when he was going to show it.

Knicks are substantially better this year and are setup to get a 3rd piece in free agency after next season.

And I know I'm going to be called a homer for it, but watch when the Knicks either don't make the playoffs, or make a first round exit...don't even argue with me, just watch and you'll see

You sound afraid. This move wasn't about this year. This move is about next year and beyond.

Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudamire >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh.

Get it now?

Knicks just took a huge step back....gave up their entire future for a team that won't win a championship. Yes, they have 2 superstars, but no supporting cast in a conference that is full of depth...HORRIBLE move by the Knicks....

You're not a homer but your wrong.

They were barely an above .500 team. With Boston, Chicago, Miami and Orlando in the east, they werent winning anything this season...not a chance. Now they have 2 legitimate stars with cap space to add stud PG that can run this offense in the future. Sorry but who they gave up, were never going to contend with the teams that have been created in the East. Now they can...and dont be shocked to see them make a strong push for Dwight Howard.

You're not a homer but your wrong.

They were barely an above .500 team. With Boston, Chicago, Miami and Orlando in the east, they werent winning anything this season...not a chance. Now they have 2 legitimate stars with cap space to add stud PG that can run this offense in the future. Sorry but who they gave up, were never going to contend with the teams that have been created in the East. Now they can...and dont be shocked to see them make a strong push for Dwight Howard.

Yeah, gotta agree. The NBA isn't the NFL. VanJackoff probably put it best with his quote above in terms of which is easier to replace. There are dozens of role players all over the league and guys like that come out every year. There aren't dozens of Carmelo Anthonys.

They were barely an above .500 team.

No. These players were about a .250 team when Amar'e didn't play 40+. Every single player the Knicks gave up is replaceable. Every one of them. And I was one of Chandler's biggest fans. Sacrificing depth for superstars is an absolute no-brainer that you do 100% of the time, every single time. Miami's done it twice within the past ten years and it's won them a championship and it'll eventually get them another one. Boston did it to a much more extreme degree than this and they've done pretty well. What, all of a sudden we're forgetting that Boston gave up 5 players, 2 picks, AND cash for Kevin Garnett?

The NBA is a superstar's league. Period. End of story. You worry about depth later. You absolutely do not pass up on getting them because you're worried about keeping Timofey Mozgov.

If Melo extends for the full max with maximum raises, he and Amar'e combined will count for $40m against the cap in 2012. Clearly, it's all speculation at this point with no CBA in place, but say the cap number is in the neighborhood of $60m in 2012.

Assume that they deny any team options (TD) and move any other guaranteed deals (Balkman) and you're left with $4m in roster charges for the remaining spots as well as a cap hold for Fields, who will be a free agent. As a 2nd Rd pick on an expired rookie deal, the Gilbert Arenas Rule prevents another team from being able to offer him a contract for more than the MLE, so his maximum salary as a FA is roughly $5.5m, which is also what he counts against the Knicks cap until the re-sign him or renounce him. For any of this to work, he would need to take a deal on the cheap for, say, $3m. They can make it a 1-yr deal and extend him in 2013, as they will have his Bird Rights (also assuming that rule still exists).

Amar'e + Melo - $40m

FIelds - $3m

8 Roster Charges (to bring to 11 players) - $4m

With a $60m cap, that means CP3 or Deron would be able to sign a deal starting at $13m per, whereas their current max is closer to $15m per starting. I guess it's not as impossible as I had thought, but barring a significant increase in the cap number, it requires either Fields or Melo (or both) to take a lesser salary in 2012. I think Melo can save the Knicks around $1.5m against the cap if he foregoes a raise between 2011 and 2012.

That would literally leave the Knicks with a Big 3 + Fields and a roster filled out with a bunch of guys making the league minimum and they would be competing with teams like Miami to sign those vet minimum players. If the MLE goes away in the new CBA, then they would lose any ability to add non-minimum talent aside from their 2013 1st Rounder and whatever #2's they have.

Again, it's all speculation, since nobody really knows what the rules under the new CBA will look like.

Yeah, gotta agree. The NBA isn't the NFL. VanJackoff probably put it best with his quote above in terms of which is easier to replace. There are dozens of role players all over the league and guys like that come out every year. There aren't dozens of Carmelo Anthonys.

No. These players were about a .250 team when Amar'e didn't play 40+. Every single player the Knicks gave up is replaceable. Every one of them. And I was one of Chandler's biggest fans. Sacrificing depth for superstars is an absolute no-brainer that you do 100% of the time, every single time. Miami's done it twice within the past ten years and it's won them a championship and it'll eventually get them another one. Boston did it to a much more extreme degree than this and they've done pretty well. What, all of a sudden we're forgetting that Boston gave up 5 players, 2 picks, AND cash for Kevin Garnett?

The NBA is a superstar's league. Period. End of story. You worry about depth later. You absolutely do not pass up on getting them because you're worried about keeping Timofey Mozgov.

Yep. Role players are a dime a dozen. Tons of kids coming out that can fill it up and knock down the long ball. Tons of Euro's that come out with large frames that can go inside out. None of these guys will ever dominate or differentiate your team. They are just solid players who fill up a roster and help you out from time to time.

The Knicks got one of the best pure shooters in the game, who can literally take it over. He differentiates your team because of how you have to adjust to his presence alone. Coupled with Amari...its pretty deadly. This is the NBA, only 5 players take the floor. When 2 of those 5 players are elite, your team is going to tough to beat if the rest of the team executes. When 1 is elite and the rest of the 4 are jags that were quite frankly overachieving, something needs to be done. Thank god the Knicks realized that and didnt rest on their laurels of finally getting back to the postseason.

Yep. Role players are a dime a dozen. Tons of kids coming out that can fill it up and knock down the long ball. Tons of Euro's that come out with large frames that can go inside out. None of these guys will ever dominate or differentiate your team. They are just solid players who fill up a roster and help you out from time to time.

It's not that I think role players are a dime a dozen. They're not. Chandler's a great player, he's one of the better swingmen in the league and I think he's going to make an AS team or two by the time his career's over. And Gallo's still so young and he's this good already, I think he'll be great too. Both will be difficult to replace as they're young blue chip guys. Miami's had problems this year due to the depth they sacrificed putting their team together for this season, but would anyone in their right mind say that getting their big 3 was a bad idea? In the end, you will find another Chandler or Gallo with good enough scouting or GM work...you won't however, simply "find" another Melo.

You don't win championships in the NBA with out stars...starS. Not 1 star. And you absolutely do what you have to do to get them. It became clearer and clearer over the weekend that Melo was NOT going to make it to free agency, so at that point you do what you have to do short of insanity because had the Knicks lost out on legit chances to get Melo and Lebron within a 1-year span with the sacrifices they made over the past several seasons...oy vey.

From Stephen A. today, well said sir.

In acquiring Carmelo Anthony, along with Chauncey Billups and a few players who simply are not important enough to mention right now, we still don't know if the Knicks will be legitimate championship contenders. But the reality is that not knowing is actually a good thing. Especially when all you've known for years is that "no way in hell" was the first thought entering anyone's mind the second the Knicks and championship contention were mentioned in the same breath.

-------------------------------------------

As for the players the Knicks lose, no disrespect, but who cares?

Really!

Felton is a tremendous loss because of his youth and the season he's had, but he's being replaced by a champion in Billups, who's also known as a big-shot artist and one of the best leaders in the game today.

Wilson Chandler is a shooter. He's replaced by Melo.

End of conversation.

Gallinari is a solid player with skills and a tremendous upside. But unless he's about to become the second coming of Dirk Nowitzki, there's nothing else to say about him other than he's young, we'll miss him, and a sincere "We're sorry" to our Italian-Americans all over the city.

It's not that I think role players are a dime a dozen. They're not. Chandler's a great player, he's one of the better swingmen in the league and I think he's going to make an AS team or two by the time his career's over. And Gallo's still so young and he's this good already, I think he'll be great too. Both will be difficult to replace as they're young blue chip guys. Miami's had problems this year due to the depth they sacrificed putting their team together for this season, but would anyone in their right mind say that getting their big 3 was a bad idea?

You don't win championships in the NBA with out stars...starS. Not 1 star. And you absolutely do what you have to do to get them. It became clearer and clearer over the weekend that Melo was NOT going to make it to free agency, so at that point you do what you have to do short of insanity because had the Knicks lost out on legit chances to get Melo and Lebron within a 1-year span with the sacrifices they made over the past several seasons...oy vey.

Great point on losing the opportunity to get LeBron and Melo with under a year...that would be the ultimate blow my brains out scenario.

I do however think role players are a dime dozen in the grand scheme of things. Look back at the role players who have elevated and helped the past few teams reach a championship, or get there. Where are they now? Most of them arent on that team any longer, went got a nice pay day, and now you hear nothing about them. And if they are on the team, they had lofty expectations to continue that play and just dont...somebody else steps up and fills that void.

This season will be no different. One of these teams will have someone step up, make a splash in the playoffs and hear nothing from them again. I guess, its what you consider a role player too. Gallo, definitely wasnt. He's got potential. Disagree on Chandler, good player, but not AS caliber. I think he benefited from the perfect role in this offense that clearly suited his play.

nowitzki_mvp.jpg

Yes, and he's got a dozen rings. :rolleyes:

Nowitzki's a great player, but he ain't the cornerstone of a championship dynasty.

I want the Knicks to seriously contend for a championsip, not be a guaranteed early exit from the playoffs despite being one of the top seeds every year like Nowitzki's Mavs.

Sure the Mavs have the second best record in the West right now. Does anybody really think they are getting past the Lakers or Spurs?

nowitzki_mvp.jpg

Dirk is a great player, but what has he won or done that is really overly impressive?

Even the other really good Euro guys off the top of my head had supporting casts help them win, Ginobili and Gasol.

Further, thats 3 players out of how many Euro players that have come through?

Archived