Denver Post - Melo to Knicks a Done Deal

Bergen Jet

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dirk is a good player. Never said any different, he wants the jump shot though. I've watched enough of him to know what I see. What makes him challenging to defend is his size, he does nothing special other than he's light out. Again, a good player, not a champion.

He's one of the most versatile scorers in the league and has been for a decade. He's got range, a post game, can put the ball on the floor, can shoot over just about anyone, draws fouls, and converts FT's at an 85-90% rate. What make him challenging to defend is that he's an elite offensive player. Oh, and he's a plus rebounder as well.

There have been plenty of great players to never win a title. And not to play the what-if game, but his team was blatantly robbed of a championship by the officials.

So which is it, a lottery pick with a great resume and rings or a role player?

Umm... both?

And I know I'm going to be called a homer for it, but watch when the Knicks either don't make the playoffs, or make a first round exit...don't even argue with me, just watch and you'll see

The knicks need to win about 13 games to make the playoffs, if you really believe Melo and Stat cannot will this team to 13 wins, than you are in serious denial.

And I know I'm going to be called a homer for it, but watch when the Knicks either don't make the playoffs, or make a first round exit...don't even argue with me, just watch and you'll see

This post is retardation. They are pretty much locked in the playoffs and if they lose in the first round thats the exact same thing that was gonna happen before.

We'll see. Another deal's happening by Thursday most definitely.

Fields is an excellent piece, but yes, doing a deal like that would probably have to entail turning the MLE and whatever exception we get from Minnesota into tradable commodities that enable us to match salaries with the third star and whatever Okafor-type contract we'd be required to take on. And it's not like just keeping Fields would be such a sh*tty consolation prize anyway.

The best thing they could probably do now is acquire a decent-sized contract that expires after next year. That would allow them to send that deal and Billups out in a deal and take back something like Paul and Okafor. By giving NO significant cost savings on the Okafor deal, it shouldn't cost much in assets to get it done. Jamison or Kaman would work nicely and to a lesser extent, Posey would as well.

The best thing they could probably do now is acquire a decent-sized contract that expires after next year. That would allow them to send that deal and Billups out in a deal and take back something like Paul and Okafor. By giving NO significant cost savings on the Okafor deal, it shouldn't cost much in assets to get it done. Jamison or Kaman would work nicely and to a lesser extent, Posey would as well.

Paul's going to opt out of his deal and be a free agent once the season ends.

My team has 17 NBA Championships, has been to the Finals 2 out of the last 3 years (and won one), and has the 2nd-best record in the league right now, beating out top competition. Yeah, REAAAAL afraid.... :rolleyes:

Wow, you saw them all? It's impressive that a 75 yr old man like yourself can use the internet so well.

Paul's going to opt out of his deal and be a free agent once the season ends.

Yes, Paul is going to decline his 2012 player option for $17.8m. Barring a large increase in the cap number, for him to sign as a FA will require him to under $15m as a starting salary to sign here as a FA. If you're going to sit on your hands and wait to sign him outright, you'd better hope he really values playing for the Knicks and winning over maxing out.

Yes, Paul is going to decline his 2012 player option for $17.8m. Barring a large increase in the cap number, for him to sign as a FA will require him to under $15m as a starting salary to sign here as a FA. If you're going to sit on your hands and wait to sign him outright, you'd better hope he really values playing for the Knicks and winning over maxing out.

Maybe he'll take less money to win. It's been done before.

Thank you.

They were a fun team with what they had. Now they have the core of a potentially great team.

I loved watching this team, mainly because the last decade was an abortion. But the need for a 2nd star was always present.

It's also a bit of revisionist history to hate on this deal because of the supposed losing of "depth."

The only reason the Knicks signed Felton and Mosgov was because they had the cap space available once LeBron jilted them. In otherwords, if Walsh's plan worked and he got 2 superstars (it was LeBron +Amare/Wade/Bosh) the Knicks would never have signed those 2.

Now, the Knicks used those 2 players to get the superstar they tried and failed to get last summer.

The only reason the Knicks signed Felton and Mosgov was because they had the cap space available once LeBron jilted them. In otherwords, if Walsh's plan worked and he got 2 superstars (it was LeBron +Amare/Wade/Bosh) the Knicks would never have signed those 2.

Now, the Knicks used those 2 players to get the superstar they tried and failed to get last summer.

I like Melo and am happy that he's here, but he's not in the same stratosphere as LeBron as far as being able to carry a team. You could have surrounded LeBron and Amar'e with role players and have a shot to come out of the East. With Amar'e and Melo, you still need to add another big piece to make yourself a contender IMO.

I'm more worried about Paul's knees than him being available to sign as a FA for the Knicks.

This Melo deal was as much a part of Leon Rose & CAA proving to a big time player they can get what the player wants. Paul is repped by Rose & CAA.

If Paul is available and the Knicks have decent cap room then Paul will be a Knick because CAA wants that.

LeBron, Wade, and Bosh all took less money. Paul would be coming into a situation where Amar'e and Melo both maxed out and he would be the only one making the sacrifice of taking less money to form a Big 3.

Ego is a bitch.

Though he's also the youngest of the 3 and could get another max contract...

I like Melo and am happy that he's here, but he's not in the same stratosphere as LeBron as far as being able to carry a team. You could have surrounded LeBron and Amar'e with role players and have a shot to come out of the East. With Amar'e and Melo, you still need to add another big piece to make yourself a contender IMO.

I understand that, JH, but Melo was in THE PLAN. He wasn't Plan A, but he was certainly Plan B.

Melo-to-the-Knicks was written about before the end of last season. So even before LeBron dissed the Knicks, Walsh and his peeps had Melo in their contingency. That was how Walsh sold tanking 2 seasons to get enough cap space for 2 superstars.

In other words, when Walsh came to the Knicks 3 yrs ago his plan wasn't all-in-the-LeBron-basket. Per reports he knew he wasn't assured getting LeBron, so he had to work on other angles. Other angles included Melo in 2010/2011.

Walsh couldn't afford to throw away 2 seasons and not get 2 stars as planned.

LeBron, Wade, and Bosh all took less money. Paul would be coming into a situation where Amar'e and Melo both maxed out and he would be the only one making the sacrifice of taking less money to form a Big 3.

Ego is a bitch.

That's easily done when all 3 players sign at the same time. Knicks can't do that since they're on a 2 1/2 yr plan.

I understand that, JH, but Melo was in THE PLAN. He wasn't Plan A, but he was certainly Plan B.

Melo-to-the-Knicks was written about before the end of last season. So even before LeBron dissed the Knicks, Walsh and his peeps had Melo in their contingency. That was how Walsh sold tanking 2 seasons to get enough cap space for 2 superstars.

In other words, when Walsh came to the Knicks 3 yrs ago his plan wasn't all-in-the-LeBron-basket. Per reports he knew he wasn't assured getting LeBron, so he had to work on other angles. Other angles included Melo in 2010/2011.

Walsh couldn't afford to throw away 2 seasons and not get 2 stars as planned.

Again, I'm not complaining about this deal at all.... just being pragmatic in stating that it's another stepping stone to becoming a contender. They still need some shrewd manuevering, good fortune (mainly in the structure of the new CBA), and selflessness on the part of another star to take less money to get over the hump.

That's easily done when all 3 players sign at the same time. Knicks can't do that since they're on a 2 1/2 yr plan.

Clearly it was a different situation and while Amare's deal is etched in stone, Melo still has a chance to take less money by not taking a raise between 2011 and 2012. It would save the Knicks around $1.5m in cap space and cost him less than $5m over the term of his contract. It's not going to happen, but it would at least be a sign that he's willing to sacrifice to get another star under the cap.

Fearless prediction-Knicks win enough games agaisnt the dregs to make the playoffs. will now lose games to better teams by 118-110, and figure to have a string of 1st round playoff knockouts as long as Anthony is here.Knicks fans are being set up for more dissappointment.

At the same time the NBA cap gets exposed as nonsense.Some small amrket teams will always be hopeless,and the cap is simply a lag on salaries, not any guarantee of competiveness. Count the days until Kevin Durant packs his bags for a big franchise.

Again, I'm not complaining about this deal at all.... just being pragmatic in stating that it's another stepping stone to becoming a contender. They still need some shrewd manuevering, good fortune (mainly in the structure of the new CBA), and selflessness on the part of another star to take less money to get over the hump.

We're in agreement, JH. This is a stepping stone.

But I liken it to Tannenbaum moving up to get Revis, Harris, and Sanchez. Depth is great when you have stars, but if you can only have 1 at the moment it is better to have stars.

He's one of the most versatile scorers in the league and has been for a decade. He's got range, a post game, can put the ball on the floor, can shoot over just about anyone, draws fouls, and converts FT's at an 85-90% rate. What make him challenging to defend is that he's an elite offensive player. Oh, and he's a plus rebounder as well.

There have been plenty of great players to never win a title. And not to play the what-if game, but his team was blatantly robbed of a championship by the officials.

Umm... both?

No, he's really not. He's a 7 footer basically, who can fill it up. He's not versatile at all. He wants to face the basket and shoot the jumper. He can put someone on his back, because he's tall. He's not drop stepping anyone, nor does have any other post move other then backing you down to shoot the turn around. He absolutely can not put the ball on the floor and I have no idea where you got that from. If he's ever scored using more than 3 dribbles, I'd be shocked. He can rebound because he's tall.

So basically, he's exactly how I described. He a lights out shooter who is hard to guard because he's tall. He's essentially a 7 foot JJ Reddick. We'll just have to agree to disagree on what he provides...he's a good player, I never said different. But my point remains the same, he's the only example of a Euro that you can build a team around. Sure there are plenty of great player without a title but are you putting Dirk in Sir Charles and Malone status?

And Horry was a good player who became a role guy toward the end of his career. And since him and Steve Kerr are the only guys brought to the table...I'd say my point is still correct that role players are a dime a dozen. Especially the type the Knicks traded away.

Archived