Gas Prices.......weeeeeeeeeeee

vinnys025

I would have agreed with gas not hitting $5 a few years back, but this seems different this time around. Gas has been cheap for us because oil was denominated in dollars and all we had to do was print it up, the rest of the world always had to buy our dollars first, then buy oil which in my belief was why the rest of the other major countries paid more money.

Thats not the case this go'round. Foreign oil suppliers are accepting euros, RMB, gold etc. And if im correct, Iran accepts currencies execpt the dollar. thats means that there's less faith and stability in our petrodollar. If we dont see $5.00 a gallon the the tri-state I'd be surprised, because im already anticipating higher than $5 in the years to come. there's simply too much money floating around out there and now other countries more and more can start using other methods of payment to buy their oil instead of buying dollars. Thats sounds like a problem lurking in the shadows.

In a way though $5 per gallon gas would be the best thing that could happen to this country. In the short term it would wreak havoc. But we have danced around this issue for too long because the pain point was always tolerable. At $5 a gallon you would see the best and the brightest minds find a nice long term answer that is in our best interests. And finally start to wean us off our oil dependence.

In a way though $5 per gallon gas would be the best thing that could happen to this country. In the short term it would wreak havoc. But we have danced around this issue for too long because the pain point was always tolerable. At $5 a gallon you would see the best and the brightest minds find a nice long term answer that is in our best interests. And finally start to wean us off our oil dependence.

I have said the same thing, we can pay a little now or a lot later

Joe for Oil gets home heating oil from Venezuela for those who cannot afford it here in the U.S. Only foreign country I see or hear of helping out in anyway. This is why I will never donate to any other worlds disasters from this day forward. I used up all my donations buying diesel fuel at $3.75 a gallon. DAMMIT

Yeah, I believe that. When I was in Europe I didnt see any big cars or trucks...and if I did it was obviously a job vehicle. In germany the pay by the liter, but when adding up to gallons they pay like $5.60 per gallon. Everyone drives those little cars out there to get the most out of their money. You'd go broke driving a hummer out there.

In the short term people would be pissed, no doubt about that. However, I do think that we depend too much on government to "make things happen" without us having to sacrifice unnecessary wants in our personal life. We dont need to drive hummers or escalades to get to point A to point B. l

Yeah, I believe that. When I was in Europe I didnt see any big cars or trucks...and if I did it was obviously a job vehicle. In germany the pay by the liter, but when adding up to gallons they pay like $5.60 per gallon. Everyone drives those little cars out there to get the most out of their money. You'd go broke driving a hummer out there.

In the short term people would be pissed, no doubt about that. However, I do think that we depend too much on government to "make things happen" without us having to sacrifice unnecessary wants in our personal life. We dont need to drive hummers or escalades to get to point A to point B. l

Those that choose to drive Hummers or Escalades have to pay the price. My wife drives a GMC Denali it gets 10 mpg. She works 3 miles from home and she will not drive a little putt putt mobile or a mini van. I dont think what people drive should be held against them. Last time I checked this was America and we still had freedom. Whats next the Government issue automobile? Come on man :rolleyes:

Those that choose to drive Hummers or Escalades have to pay the price. My wife drives a GMC Denali it gets 10 mpg. She works 3 miles from home and she will not drive a little putt putt mobile or a mini van. I dont think what people drive should be held against them. Last time I checked this was America and we still had freedom. Whats next the Government issue automobile? Come on man :rolleyes:

every time your wife goes to work, a polar bear dies

Is it a small town?

I'm where the money is, so it's a little skewed. It's like looking at the window on Park Avenue and thinking it's represenative of North America. Still, there is a Bentley, 2 Aston Martins (3 now, there is one of those new 4 doors) and 3 SRT8 Jeep Cherokees on my walk to work (10 minutes). There are more Porches, big Mercdes, BMW and Audi than you can count and these are just the cars parked on the street. There are plenty of small cars too, but gas guzzlers are far from unheard of. In fact I know where there are a few Hummers too, but at least one is for publicity/company car for a restaurant.

There are waaaaay more diesels here than the States. Not pickups, regular little cars with diesel engines. The Smart car here is an 800 cc diesel. The gas cars often have a Gpl conversion and there are a fair amount of stations that pump it. The cars that have the conversion generally run on both so that if you run out of Gpl you can use gas.

The four wheel drive trucks are nice if you live in an area where it snows. But I think there are even some smaller 4 wheel drive trucks that get the job done as opposed to a Hummer, Escalade etc. So I agree with you...

Is it a small town?

I'm where the money is, so it's a little skewed. It's like looking at the window on Park Avenue and thinking it's represenative of North America. Still, there is a Bentley, 2 Aston Martins (3 now, there is one of those new 4 doors) and 3 SRT8 Jeep Cherokees on my walk to work (10 minutes). There are more Porches, big Mercdes, BMW and Audi than you can count and these are just the cars parked on the street. There are plenty of small cars too, but gas guzzlers are far from unheard of. In fact I know where there are a few Hummers too, but at least one is for publicity/company car for a restaurant.

There are waaaaay more diesels here than the States. Not pickups, regular little cars with diesel engines. The Smart car here is an 800 cc diesel. The gas cars often have a Gpl conversion and there are a fair amount of stations that pump it. The cars that have the conversion generally run on both so that if you run out of Gpl you can use gas.

I visited both small and large towns. I was in Lingen and Gronau being the small cities, as well as Kolon and Muenster being the bigger cities. The majority of the cars I seen were small cars (in comparison to nyc). You can see the huge difference in the type of cars people drive. One thing I noticed is that Germans love stick shift. Which is also more gas efficient from what I've heard.

Not saying that there were no SUV's, but just not in the capacity that you find here in the states. You also seen luxury cars like Audi etc. but more often than not you seen compact cars.

Edited by villain_the_foe

I visited both small and large towns. I was in Lingen and Gronau being the small cities, as well as Kolon and Muenster being the bigger cities. The majority of the cars I seen were small cars (in comparison to nyc). You can see the huge difference in the type of cars people drive. One thing I noticed is that Germans love stick shift. Which is also more gas efficient from what I've heard.

Not saying that there were no SUV's, but just not in the capacity that you find here in the states. You also seen luxury cars like Audi etc. but more often than not you seen compact cars.

Yes. Everybody has a stick shift. They have cars with stick there that aren't offered manual in the US. When you first arrive you think all the cars are slow, but then you realize there are plenty of big cars, but MANY MORE small cars and teeny tiny cars they don't have in the States. In Italy many people have small cars because the roads are tight. These cities are based on 1000 year old street plans. My car wouldn't fit in my "box" (garage). I would have thought that Germany would have more cars than Italy because they seem to have more room and bigger roads. One thing you will notice throughout Europe is that they drive fast. It pisses me off because I couldn't take my car and I'm stuck driving my wife's 114hp Jetta. Ugh.

The four wheel drive trucks are nice if you live in an area where it snows. But I think there are even some smaller 4 wheel drive trucks that get the job done as opposed to a Hummer, Escalade etc. So I agree with you...

Max this past winter in N.J you needed 4 wheel drive more often than not.

Max this past winter in N.J you needed 4 wheel drive more often than not.

Yes, agreed. I bought a Grand Cherokee and loved it. Vehicles like that seem to be a good compromise. The gas mileage isn't terrible and you can get around when you need to.

Yes. Everybody has a stick shift. They have cars with stick there that aren't offered manual in the US. When you first arrive you think all the cars are slow, but then you realize there are plenty of big cars, but MANY MORE small cars and teeny tiny cars they don't have in the States. In Italy many people have small cars because the roads are tight. These cities are based on 1000 year old street plans. My car wouldn't fit in my "box" (garage). I would have thought that Germany would have more cars than Italy because they seem to have more room and bigger roads. One thing you will notice throughout Europe is that they drive fast. It pisses me off because I couldn't take my car and I'm stuck driving my wife's 114hp Jetta. Ugh.

Dude, I assumed the same thing. Im expecting to see something similar to the states on the autoban. It was mostly these tiny cars going like 160 km's/hour lol.

Dude, I assumed the same thing. Im expecting to see something similar to the states on the autoban. It was mostly these tiny cars going like 160 km's/hour lol.

Sure. That's 100 mph. My wife's car is geared for the US and she bought an auto because of her commute. It is not a good choice around here. I try to go 120 km/h and kick it up to 130 or so if I'm in a rush, but it's buzzy. They are much better about slower traffic keeping right, but much worse at tailgating. Italians are much more agressive than Germans or Swiss. You will see that, most often, when you are highbeamed it will be by an Audi, Porche or BMW "SUV". Here you'll get a ton of Alfas. Nice cars, but I don't think they sell well outside of Italy.

FYI: To drive on the highways in Switzerland you pay a one time fee. It was 30 francs last time I did it. They give you a sticker that lasts the calendar year. Therefore, don't go in December if you can help it because the sticker will be useless in less than a month.

Sure. That's 100 mph. My wife's car is geared for the US and she bought an auto because of her commute. It is not a good choice around here. I try to go 120 km/h and kick it up to 130 or so if I'm in a rush, but it's buzzy. They are much better about slower traffic keeping right, but much worse at tailgating. Italians are much more agressive than Germans or Swiss. You will see that, most often, when you are highbeamed it will be by an Audi, Porche or BMW "SUV". Here you'll get a ton of Alfas. Nice cars, but I don't think they sell well outside of Italy.

FYI: To drive on the highways in Switzerland you pay a one time fee. It was 30 francs last time I did it. They give you a sticker that lasts the calendar year. Therefore, don't go in December if you can help it because the sticker will be useless in less than a month.

Pretty soon it will cost 30 dollars to cross from NJ into NY during peak times. :D That one time fee doesn't seem bad, although I don't know what it translates into in dollars.

In 1973 we had even and odd license plate gas rationing. At that time there was a huge hue and cry about alternative fuels and the need to break our dependence on foreign oil. That was 38 years ago and how much has really changed? $5 a gallon will do nothing more than cause runaway inflation at a time when we as a nation can least afford it.

In 1973 we had even and odd license plate gas rationing. At that time there was a huge hue and cry about alternative fuels and the need to break our dependence on foreign oil. That was 38 years ago and how much has really changed? $5 a gallon will do nothing more than cause runaway inflation at a time when we as a nation can least afford it.

You were driving in 1973? Wow I remember my Dad telling stories about those days....

Pretty soon it will cost 30 dollars to cross from NJ into NY during peak times. :D That one time fee doesn't seem bad, although I don't know what it translates into in dollars.

It is a pretty good deal and it's way preferable to the constant toll booths getting off and on the autostrada. You have to use the via card lane because we can't get the ez-pass equivalent without an Italian bank account and Italian bank accounts result in tons of taxes. Francs are actually fairly close to dollars. The euro is probably around $1.40, but good luck getting proper change when you hand the guy a 50 euro note.

I got brutalized last time I was home going back and forth from my parents (Brooklyn) to my in-laws (Shao Lin). $11 a pop! The ez-pass and the metro card are just scams so they can quickly change the fees without any public protest. You don't even know until you get that damn bill in the mail.

You were driving in 1973? Wow I remember my Dad telling stories about those days....

I wasn't driving, but I remember my Dad shutting the 'cuda off in line and us pushing it up to the pumps. Still have the car.

I remember this my dad used to swap license plates on the cars. He had this 1971 Chevy pick-up camper special with a huge auxilary gas tank and friends and neighbors used to come over to siphon gas out. I remember the lines too. Wow blast from the past.

Libya produces two percent of the world's oil and Saudi Arabia pledged to increase production to cover the difference. This is just the oil crooks ******* us again.

Crooks is right.

Also, there's a U.S. Diplomat that believes that the Saudi's have overstated their oil reserves by 40% so increasing production is doubtful. I actually believe that this could be factual and the Saudi Govt surely couldnt admit that the people. What would the Saudi people do if they found out that the Govt is still exporting oil yet its drying up? They're not going to want their last bit of oil sold to foreigners when they need it for themselves. Saudi Arabia would have to bluff on that...and I believe they are because thats their only legit export. What else can you get from a desert?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/08/saudi-oil-reserves-overstated-wikileaks

Libya produces two percent of the world's oil and Saudi Arabia pledged to increase production to cover the difference. This is just the oil crooks ******* us again.

I heard some guy on the radio say there is a surplus in oil inventories right now, so the price should be stable

it seems to me like they spike the prices until demand goes down, then reduce the price to a level higher than we were paying, and we seem grateful for the relief.

evil ****ers

Yup Bob, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Remember when you used to turn on the TV and see everybody in China and India riding bicycles to work? Thats going to be us.

(this post is intended to be economics not politics)

Futures traders drive the price up. Not so much crooks involved as markets doing what they do. (but in this case causing a little unnecessary pain)

There's been talk in Congress for several years about treating oil as a commmodity critical to national security and limiting trades to those who explicitly plan to execute the contract (aka buy the barrels).

I rather like the idea, but I don't know where it ended up.

Although, a lot of people don't know that gas prices listed are for 9/10 of a gallon, the 9/10 does NOT mean 9/10 of a cent. So if it says it's $2.70, for example, it's really $3.00, because the $2.70 is only for 9/10 of a gallon. Hopefully that helps some people who never knew that B)

First time I clicked on this thread. This post is just pure gold.