Jets could trade up

Falcon63

Just thought this article was interesting....they've done it a lot in the past few years, and they've scored on most on them....if we trade up, who will it be for?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26315/jets-unafraid-to-deal-draft-picks

I for one would be shocked if the Jets trade up this year.

There focus should be more on quantity rather than quality. They need bodies.

Jets unafraid to deal draft picks

February, 25, 2011 Feb 25

By Tim Graham

INDIANAPOLIS -- When it comes to free agency, the New York jets have closed up shop.

They won't re-sign any of their players before the collective bargaining agreement is expected to expire next week. General manager Mike Tannenbaum announced Thursday they will not use any transitional tags to retain players.

In regard to trading draft picks, though, Tannenbaum said "We're open for business."

As AFC runners-up, the Jets own the 30th overall pick, a fact head coach Rex Ryan bemoaned at the NFL scouting combine. The top prospects will be rummaged through by the time the Jets are scheduled to be on the clock.

"There's going to be a few players taken," Ryan said with a grin.

Tannenbaum indicated they would be willing to jockey their picks for a chance to draft earlier -- a concept the Jets are quite familiar with. In recent years, they've traded up to draft cornerback Darrelle Revis, linebacker David Harris, quarterback Mark Sanchez and running back Shonn Greene.

"I wouldn't rule anything out," Tannenbaum said. "Philosophically, we're about quality over quantity as it relates to the draft."

Conditions would seem to favor a lot of draft picks being bartered this year, as Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix predicted. Given the labor situation -- no free agency or player trades until there's a new CBA -- the only way to maneuver for coveted players would be trading draft choices.

"Every draft has its own story to it," Tannenbaum said. "We'll go in and just see what opportunities present themselves."

Matt, how do you see this draft class on a scale of 1 to 10?

tough question... in the top 10 it's a 5... there's no guy like Jake Long or Mario Williams that is awesome ideal player. I like Cam Newton as the high upside guy but people have a range of opininons. But in the 10-30 range you could be seeing guys with top 10 value. I like almost all the DE over quinn for example. And there are very good depth in the mid-late rounds. So overall it's a pretty strong draft... maybe a 7 or 8. In certain years like the Drob and Gholston years the Jets had the bad luck of selecting high in a weak draft.

tough question... in the top 10 it's a 5... there's no guy like Jake Long or Mario Williams that is awesome ideal player. I like Cam Newton as the high upside guy but people have a range of opininons. But in the 10-30 range you could be seeing guys with top 10 value. I like almost all the DE over quinn for example. And there are very good depth in the mid-late rounds. So overall it's a pretty strong draft... maybe a 7 or 8. In certain years like the Drob and Gholston years the Jets had the bad luck of selecting high in a weak draft.

thanks, and do you know how many picks we have this year?

I dont see how trading up is a possibilty this year. We need quantity and quality.

agree-we need more and better production from our 2011 draft class-we didn't get much out of the 2010 class if you really look at it. We need bodies, younger bodies.

Selecting high in 2003 had nothing to do with luck. But I agree I'd be surprised if the Jets traded up. Whether or not they trade down may depend upon how many years a player's rights are retained after draft day. With a first-rounder, you know that you're getting a year longer than a 2nd-rounder on the cheaper rookie deal.

Selecting high in 2003 had nothing to do with luck. But I agree I'd be surprised if the Jets traded up. Whether or not they trade down may depend upon how many years a player's rights are retained after draft day. With a first-rounder, you know that you're getting a year longer than a 2nd-rounder on the cheaper rookie deal.

they were trying to make the best of a bad situation... everyone complains about the 2 first round picks for Drob but those picks turned out awful too... Michael Haynes and Rex Grossman. it was just a really weak year.

they were trying to make the best of a bad situation... everyone complains about the 2 first round picks for Drob but those picks turned out awful too... Michael Haynes and Rex Grossman. it was just a really weak year.

Actually Ty Warren was who was taken in our original first slot (#13). :bag:

In the other slot (#22) are you suggesting there was any chance whatsoever the Jets would have drafted Rex Grossman immediately after (a then-healthy) Pennington's 2002 season had just ended?

Guys passed on in '03:

Newman

Williams

Suggs

Gross

Trufant

Warren

Troy P

Pace

Clark

Aso

That was a solid draft...Jets picked the wrong DL riser (Warren and Williams had joined DRob in flying up boards)...Suggs was a top 5 talent that fell to 10...Newman was considered a slam dunk CB prospect who was just a tad older than normal.

Guys passed on in '03:

Newman

Williams

Suggs

Gross

Trufant

Warren

Troy P

Pace

Clark

Aso

That was a solid draft...Jets picked the wrong DL riser (Warren and Williams had joined DRob in flying up boards)...Suggs was a top 5 talent that fell to 10...Newman was considered a slam dunk CB prospect who was just a tad older than normal.

You didn't seriously include Pace on that list, did you?

Guys passed on in '03:

Newman

Williams

Suggs

Gross

Trufant

Warren

Troy P

Pace

Clark

Aso

Actually I think I recall Suggs falling because of his 40 time or something. Wasn't because of production because he had like a thousand sacks, but the combine paranoia suggested he likely wouldn't be so great without running the 40 in 4.5 seconds, so he fell. No one in the country had him ranked as high as #4.

See Dom's comment re Pace. He was a massive reach for a first round pick. There wasn't even a consensus opinion that he would be taken as high as round 2.

Newman I could understand passing on because the position generally requires 2-3 years before you're really something, plus it's predicated so much on speed, and he was already 25 years old in his first NFL game. Besides, they had just signed 2 veteran FA corners (for better or for worse) and Newman didn't fit Herm's idiotic Tampa-2 CB prototype (with sure tackling after a catch being more important than preventing a catch in the first place if it means slightly better run support from the defense's smallest starters).

Others are really not Dumbway's fault, like Gross or Williams or Suggs. Gone by pick 13 and (back then) none were considered the 4th-best prospect in the country. There wasn't even consensus on who was the best pick among them 3+ slots later. Isn't this the draft where Minnesota dropped 2 slots in the draft because they twice didn't get their pick to the podium in time?

And surely you're not suggesting that it was realistic to take Marcus Trufant 4th in the country ahead of Newman.

There were 5 "blue chip" prospects in the draft and they went with the first 5 picks. After Newman there was a perceived drop-off at the time, so I can't kill Dumbway for not taking one of them after trading up to #4. As the story goes, we were allegedly paranoid about NE trading up to grab DRob so therefore we did it not just in an attempt to better our DL but also to block NE from getting him. Funniest part of it is that we did the trade-up to #4 before the draft even started. For all Dumbway knew, NE could have leapfrogged us and still taken Robertson (in theory, anyway) and we could have ended up with Charles Rogers at #4, one of the few players who prevented the DRob pick from looking worse than it was. Who the hell trades up for a targeted player before knowing the player is even going to be there?

But I agree there were a lot of good players in that first round and there was no need to burn the #13 pick plus the #22 pick plus our 4th rounder to trade up to #4 for a player who would then cost a superstar veteran's contract upon drafting him.

See Dom's comment re Pace. He was a massive reach for a first round pick. There wasn't even a consensus opinion that he would be taken as high as round 2.

Forget him being a reach. He was a monumental bust and provided zero production until the season before he came to the Jets. I bet DRob still has more career starts. Pace also was very a bad fit as a DE for a team that already had Ellis, Abraham and had just drafted an identical bust in Bryan Thomas.

I'm sure the Cardinals feel great about his current success. Just the way we are all so happy for Farrior.

But I agree there were a lot of good players in that first round and there was no need to burn the #13 pick plus the #22 pick plus our 4th rounder to trade up to #4 for a player who would then cost a superstar veteran's contract upon drafting him.

Sure. They could have stood pat and drafted William Joseph.

Forget him being a reach. He was a monumental bust and provided zero production until the season before he came to the Jets. I bet DRob still has more career starts. Pace also was very a bad fit as a DE for a team that already had Ellis, Abraham and had just drafted an identical bust in Bryan Thomas.

I'm sure the Cardinals feel great about his current success. Just the way we are all so happy for Farrior.

Sure. They could have stood pat and drafted William Joseph.

Might not have been worse off. He would have been off the team faster, along with some gargantuan cap numbers ($9.4M in 2006, $7.4M in 2007) that we carried for DBust. Joseph's contract was $7M spread over 5 years.

There's no reason why they should move up this year. Especially if they are looking to improve the front 7. This draft is loaded with 34 DE OLBs. Although we have seen them lock onto to one particular player and then make their move I think losing that second rounder puts them in too big of a hole given the depth.

Actually I think I recall Suggs falling because of his 40 time or something. Wasn't because of production because he had like a thousand sacks, but the combine paranoia suggested he likely wouldn't be so great without running the 40 in 4.5 seconds, so he fell. No one in the country had him ranked as high as #4.

Newman I could understand passing on because the position generally requires 2-3 years before you're really something, plus it's predicated so much on speed, and he was already 25 years old in his first NFL game. Besides, they had just signed 2 veteran FA corners (for better or for worse) and Newman didn't fit Herm's idiotic Tampa-2 CB prototype (with sure tackling after a catch being more important than preventing a catch in the first place if it means slightly better run support from the defense's smallest starters).

Others are really not Dumbway's fault, like Gross or Williams or Suggs. Gone by pick 13 and (back then) none were considered the 4th-best prospect in the country. There wasn't even consensus on who was the best pick among them 3+ slots later. Isn't this the draft where Minnesota dropped 2 slots in the draft because they twice didn't get their pick to the podium in time?

And surely you're not suggesting that it was realistic to take Marcus Trufant 4th in the country ahead of Newman.

There were 5 "blue chip" prospects in the draft and they went with the first 5 picks. After Newman there was a perceived drop-off at the time, so I can't kill Dumbway for not taking one of them after trading up to #4. As the story goes, we were allegedly paranoid about NE trading up to grab DRob so therefore we did it not just in an attempt to better our DL but also to block NE from getting him. Funniest part of it is that we did the trade-up to #4 before the draft even started. For all Dumbway knew, NE could have leapfrogged us and still taken Robertson (in theory, anyway) and we could have ended up with Charles Rogers at #4, one of the few players who prevented the DRob pick from looking worse than it was. Who the hell trades up for a targeted player before knowing the player is even going to be there?

We're also all forgetting that the Jets desperately needed a Safety and there was this kid out of USC with teh long hair whom was universally considered a slam dunk pick. There was no reason for the Jets to move up for a late rising kid who was considered a 4 round pick pre combine.

YOU HAVE ******* 30 year old Donnie Abraham and Aaron Beasley playing CB and ******* Jon McGraw STARTING with two first round picks and you trade both picks for an unknown workout warrior DT from Kentucky????

Bottom line the Jets could have stayed put and drafted Polamalu and Asomugha. Yeah hindsights 20/20 I get that, but these players were sitting right there at a position of need. Horrible..HORRIBLE draft. Worst ever.

We're also all forgetting that the Jets desperately needed a Safety and there was this kid out of USC with teh long hair whom was universally considered a slam dunk pick. There was no reason for the Jets to move up for a late rising kid who was considered a 4 round pick pre combine.

YOU HAVE ******* 30 year old Donnie Abraham and Aaron Beasley playing CB and ******* Jon McGraw STARTING with two first round picks and you trade both picks for an unknown workout warrior DT from Kentucky????

Bottom line the Jets could have stayed put and drafted Polamalu and Asomugha. Yeah hindsights 20/20 I get that, but these players were sitting right there at a position of need. Horrible..HORRIBLE draft. Worst ever.

Abraham, Beasley and McGraw? SIGN THESE BEASTS!!!!!!

You didn't seriously include Pace on that list, did you?

Pace went 17th so I just threw him in. Maybe the Jets would have been smart enough to give him NFL muscle juice earlier than the Cardinals did. The Jets had just taken Thomas the year before and had Abe/Ellis/Thomas on the team already so both Suggs (who was considered a potentially special pass rusher as a prospect) and Pace were probably not real options.

I actually think Newman was the one we should have taken...Williams was like DRob and flew up late...Warren wasn't considered a top 10 pick either...honestly Robertson might have been fine if his knees didn't go by the time he was 25.

Might not have been worse off. He would have been off the team faster, along with some gargantuan cap numbers ($9.4M in 2006, $7.4M in 2007) that we carried for DBust. Joseph's contract was $7M spread over 5 years.

A nice theory, but it doesn't take into account the giant salary they would have used to overpay a FA to play NT/DT while Joseph blew chunks in the middle. Wasn't the problem that the team knew that Ferguson or Evans was going to be suspended for substance abuse? I forget which one. They were both stoners and juicers.

There's no reason why they should move up this year. Especially if they are looking to improve the front 7. This draft is loaded with 34 DE OLBs. Although we have seen them lock onto to one particular player and then make their move I think losing that second rounder puts them in too big of a hole given the depth.

The reason to move up is if they are sure about a player. So far they have moved up for Clemens, Revis, Harris, Sanchez, Greene and Keller. I'd say that the track record of moving up has been pretty good. I'd prefer they stood pat, but I can't argue with the results.

Abraham, Beasley and McGraw? SIGN THESE BEASTS!!!!!!

You can't sign McGraw. He's still playing and I believe starting for a playoff team in KC.

Pace went 17th so I just threw him in. Maybe the Jets would have been smart enough to give him NFL muscle juice earlier than the Cardinals did. The Jets had just taken Thomas the year before and had Abe/Ellis/Thomas on the team already so both Suggs (who was considered a potentially special pass rusher as a prospect) and Pace were probably not real options.

I actually think Newman was the one we should have taken...Williams was like DRob and flew up late...Warren wasn't considered a top 10 pick either...honestly Robertson might have been fine if his knees didn't go by the time he was 25.

The problem with Pace wasn't a lack of juice. He was not a good DE and played better at LB, but he is too slow to play 4-3 OLB, so he was stuck.

I honestly don't think DRob was so bad. First of all, I know he did well at the combine, but there were numerous reports that it was after re-watching film and seeing the amount of double and triple teams he was facing that he really flew up draft boards. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it was one of these film sessions where Sapp came up with the bowling ball with butcher knives.

Yeah I remember Suggs' run and the disappointment it brought folks...he ran in the 4.8 range IIRC....and had tried to bulk up for combine season too...but most thought the Ravens got an absolute steal at 10, and there was alot of talk of him as a top 6 pick.

Honestly '03 would have went much better if the Texans weren't so deadset on taking Andre Johnson, who the Jets were seriously targeting and trying to trade up for.

Yeah I remember Suggs' run and the disappointment it brought folks...he ran in the 4.8 range IIRC....and had tried to bulk up for combine season too...but most thought the Ravens got an absolute steal at 10, and there was alot of talk of him as a top 6 pick.

Honestly '03 would have went much better if the Texans weren't so deadset on taking Andre Johnson, who the Jets were seriously targeting and trying to trade up for.

His brain would be mush by now. Just like Wayne and Coles.

Archived