Why Derek Jeter is not a Hall of Famer

Maxman

(obviously talking about when he retires).

Who wants to argue this? Sure, it is slow and I am just stirring shit. Because Jeter is clearly a first ballot hall of famer. But who wants to argue why he shouldn't be?

Oh, and Max, a far more interesting and relatively untapped topic would be the controversial yet incredibly productive 2013 Hall of Fame class. The following are some of the players eligible that year:

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Craig Biggio, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa, Mike Piazza, Kenny Lofton

Oh, and Max, a far more interesting and relatively untapped topic would be the controversial yet incredibly productive 2013 Hall of Fame class. The following are some of the players eligible that year:

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Craig Biggio, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa, Mike Piazza, Kenny Lofton

Bonds and Clemens, yes. Sosa, maybe. The rest, are you kidding me?

If you don't put in Schilling, then Pettitte doesn't belong. Yankee fans want to talk about how Pettitte's post season numbers give him a bump, but Schilling was by far the more effective post season pitcher.

My call-Neither deserve to get in.

I didn't see anything else you posted

If you don't put in Schilling, then Pettitte doesn't belong. Yankee fans want to talk about how Pettitte's post season numbers give him a bump, but Schilling was by far the more effective post season pitcher.

My call-Neither deserve to get in.

I didn't see anything else you posted

If that's your logic for Schilling, Jack Morris has to go in first.

I have posted ad nauseum about this, but the only way Schilling and Morris should be mentioned in the same breath is if you're making the statement - "Curt Schilling was a vastly superior pitcher when compared to Jack Morris".

The only thing Morris and Pettitte best Schilling in are compiling numbers - IP (a combination of durability and Schilling spending part of his career as a RP) and Wins (a nearly useless indicator when judging the relative merit of two pitchers for anyone who doesn't have rely strictly on antequated statistics). Every other statistical category and advanced metric paints a picture of Schilling being far more dominant than Morris or Pettitte could ever hope to have been.

If anyone cares to read my opinion on Schilling's HoF-worthiness, they can sort through this mess... and for the record, I have no horse in this race, only a keen interest in baseball history and stats:

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71302-anyone-hear-what-that-obnoxious-arrogant-prick-schilling-said-yesterday/

PS - Jeter gets in on the first ballot, even though he receives Gold Glove awards he doesn't deserve. :D

Bonds, Clemens and Sosa all may not get in. You're forgetting how much the media wants to NOT vote them in first-ballot because of steroids-gate. I don't think they can get 75 % of the vote, do you?

I have posted ad nauseum about this, but the only way Schilling and Morris should be mentioned in the same breath is if you're making the statement - "Curt Schilling was a vastly superior pitcher when compared to Jack Morris".

The only thing Morris and Pettitte best Schilling in are compiling numbers - IP (a combination of durability and Schilling spending part of his career as a RP) and Wins (a nearly useless indicator when judging the relative merit of two pitchers for anyone who doesn't have rely strictly on antequated statistics). Every other statistical category and advanced metric paints a picture of Schilling being far more dominant than Morris or Pettitte could ever hope to have been.

If anyone cares to read my opinion on Schilling's HoF-worthiness, they can sort through this mess... and for the record, I have no horse in this race, only a keen interest in baseball history and stats:

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71302-anyone-hear-what-that-obnoxious-arrogant-prick-schilling-said-yesterday/

PS - Jeter gets in on the first ballot, even though he receives Gold Glove awards he doesn't deserve. :D

Schilling is about as deserving of induction into the baseball hall of fame as I am.

Schilling is about as deserving of induction into the baseball hall of fame as I am.

Yes, in the absence of any debate to the contrary excepting your meritless and inherently flawed "he pitched 20 years and only won 216 games" stance, you're absolutely correct.

As opposed to the crap the nerds toss around that take all of the fun out of the game by overanalyzing it to death?

Even lacking the mental acumen of these so-called "nerds", you must realize at some level that you can't look at traditional statistics in a vacuum and think that they paint a full picture as to how events actually transpired.... or maybe you don't.

Even lacking the mental acumen of these so-called "nerds", you must realize at some level that you can't look at traditional statistics in a vacuum and think that they paint a full picture as to how events actually transpired.... or maybe you don't.

Or I can actually watch the friggin' game and understand what I see and understand that when I see Curt Schilling I don't see a Hall of Famer.

Bonds, Clemens and Sosa all may not get in. You're forgetting how much the media wants to NOT vote them in first-ballot because of steroids-gate. I don't think they can get 75 % of the vote, do you?

I was offering opinions on who should be in, not who I think will be. The sanctimonious ****s in the BBWA may very well screw all three of those guys.

Or I can actually watch the friggin' game and understand what I see and understand that when I see Curt Schilling I don't see a Hall of Famer.

Why?

Your 20 years and 216 wins argument does not stand any test.

And as much arguing you did for Andy and the HofF in his retirement thread, I am having difficulty understanding what game you are watching. Especially after you say he doe snot belong in this thread.

Archived