Cimini article- Herm is not leaving

faba

Edwards won't Jet

Says he's not interested in Chiefs

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

With Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil expected to retire after the season, Herm Edwards has been mentioned in NFL circles as the logical successor to his mentor. After all, he used to be an assistant coach and scout for Kansas City and he has known team president Carl Peterson since he was a high-school senior.

Edwards is aware of the speculation, and he acknowledged yesterday that "it's nice to hear other people want you." But the Jets' coach, rumored to be interested, said he has no plans to leave.

"I want to coach this team as long as I coach," Edwards said in a private moment after his news conference. "When they tell me I can't coach here anymore, I'll move on."

Edwards has two years remaining on his contract, so he can't make a unilateral decision to leave for another job. There are looming issues, however, that could come into play. The Jets' salary-cap situation will restrict their ability to rebuild the offense and, with Chad Pennington's uncertain shoulder, they have no quarterback of the present or future.

Some coaches might look at that situation and try to run away.

"I don't look at it that way," said Edwards, adding, "The offseason will take care of itself. It will come to a head in the offseason, what we have to do, what direction we're going in as an organization. We'll try to fix it and get it going again."

There will be at least six head-coaching openings in the offseason. Edwards has an attractive resume - three playoff appearances in his first four years - but his overall record (counting the postseason) has slipped to 39-39. At 2-7, he appears headed to his second losing season in three years, although this year has been sabotaged by injuries.

The Jets went 6-10 in 2003, but Edwards, who wanted to overhaul his defensive staff and felt he needed more security to attract coordinator candidates, received a two-year contract extension (through 2007).

This time, Edwards won't have that leverage. Assuming he survives this season - he doesn't appear to be in danger - he will be thrown into a make-or-break situation in '06. That could be uncomfortable, especially if the organization decides to adopt a long-term plan. For instance, if the Jets use their first-round pick on a quarterback, it would be like starting over.

Twenty-four hours after a jarring 30-3 loss in Carolina, Edwards talked about "a dark cloud that won't go away, just kind of hovering above us." The Jets have suffered 10 season-ending injuries, and they're headed to their worst season since 1996, when they went 1-15 under Rich Kotite.

But Edwards also stated his case, saying the focus should be on the last five years, not only 2005. He called the first four seasons "a carpet ride.

"It's been a pretty stable program, for the most part ... and you don't want to, all of a sudden, destroy it and say it doesn't work. Because it works," he said.

BROOKS NOT DONE: QB Brooks Bollinger, coming off a four-interception meltdown in Carolina, will start Sunday in Denver, Edwards announced. Jay Fiedler (dislocated shoulder) still is "a couple of weeks away," Edwards said. The earliest return date appears to be Dec. 4 at New England. ... RT Jason Fabini (torn pectoral muscle) was placed on injured reserve, ending his season.

whether you like him or not, Herm Edwards is not a quitter. This is the man for whom the end of games changed. Before Herm Edwards and the miracle at the meadowlands, teams used to hand the ball off to kill the clock. After that game they contacted the league office and found out that kneeling was legal.

whether you like him or not, Herm Edwards is not a quitter. This is the man for whom the end of games changed. Before Herm Edwards and the miracle at the meadowlands, teams used to hand the ball off to kill the clock. After that game they contacted the league office and found out that kneeling was legal.

AMEN! =D>

if herm doesn't want out then why is his agent floating this rumor around the league?

if herm doesn't want out then why is his agent floating this rumor around the league?

I don't know that he is. With the relationship between Herm/Vermeil, Herm/Peterson it seems like a logical choice... the media could be connecting the dots.

bottom line Herm is under contract and unless i am wrong the league outlawed trading for coaches after the Gruden thing. So unless he quits or is fired he is staying the coach of the Jets. And if he quits and takes that job the Jets (again unless I am wrong) are entitled to compensation in the form of draft picks.

Archived